facing kindof a crisis with my devving

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

facing kindof a crisis with my devving

Postby Sloshy » Sat May 27, 2017 3:09 am

ive been trying to complete my yoshigirl game for a few years now and it feels like i have gone nowhere with it. i have a semiplayable engine but thats it. ive done many things to learn code but getting burned out on it becaus its so exhausting and so a steep learning curv.
i am a spriter and i work rly hard with my spriting to get good vore effects as much as i can but the code is the essence of the game and its a big obstacle.
there are much knowledgeable ppl on mfgg but they are utterly offput by the idea of vore so i cannot get a good coder to help.
its like im too vorey for mfgg and too devvy for the vore community. at this rate my game will never be a complete and this depresses me greatly. :(
i dont know what i expect by making a thread but i have to say something because it makes me sad.
Sloshy
Been posting for a bit

Re: facing kindof a crisis with my devving

Postby dezzykitsune » Sat May 27, 2017 3:43 am

Making games with some kind of a fetish tends to do that at times and have people likely avoid people that are very interested in making games. I guess the only suggestion is to try doing a new project that doesn't have vore being the strong focal point behind it. Maybe it will yield a little bit of help that you need. Then you can use that knowledge to help boost your yoshigirl game. It's a pity to see someone that want to make a game for the community but it falls through because of instances where other people find it gross. I hope things turns out a little better for you.
dezzykitsune
Artist

Postby EndercreeperMugen » Sat May 27, 2017 6:45 pm

I have to agree with Dezzy on this one. It may be best to try something unrelated to vore so people will be more willing to help, and you can then apply anything you learn from that game into your vore one.
Although somewhat different, it's what I did before making my Mugen vore edits; spent a few years getting into coding and spriting characters, found out that people made vore stuff, and used what I knew to make my own vore edits.
Best of luck to you with any of your future projects.
EndercreeperMugen
Somewhat familiar

Postby Seifens » Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 am

I doubt you're too 'devvy' for the vore community. There are plenty of devs here with a wide range of experience.

If you're having trouble with your game and want technical help, I'm sure there are people here who would be willing to give advice at the very least. If your project has become overwhelming in scope, it might be because you're trying to do too much. If there's a core gameplay loop, focus on that and just release something small. Don't worry about making your first game your best game. Just finish something, and you'll feel a whole lot better.

Since you're a spriter, maybe work up some really basic movement/jumping and do some kind of single screen wave based game, where enemies come at you in increasing numbers/with increasing stats until the player goes down. If that works out, you'll have the beginnings of a more involved platforming game to work off of.
Seifens
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Tassie » Sun May 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Programming is hard, even when you know what you're doing and are good at it because it tends to be so tedious. What little I know is frustrating and learning while you work is even more frustrating, I can only imagine. I can't imagine trying to do that myself, so even the old demo that you posted a long time ago impressed me.

If, or when, you do more, I'll certainly be looking forward to it, but if that's the end of the project, then only the most selfish of people will complain; I certainly admire what you've put into this already. Doing what you love is important.
::love::
Tassie
Participator

Postby Journeyman » Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Programming is programming :) There's no vore in programming!!!
Whilst developing the engine for my next vore game project (which has taken me over a year), I've discovered literally dozens of bugs with the development environment I'm using (GameMaker--a total rewrite of the original game creation software was done recently, so a lot of little things fell through the cracks).

I absolutely had to get these various bugs fixed, but I assure you that none of the GameMaker devs are specifically aware that they helped me make a "vore" game--nor would they need to be. At the heart of it, these were all technical issues in which something wasn't doing what it needed to. In every case, it would have been useless to the devs for me to submit a "voreish" game example to show off the bug! In order to isolate an issue, it's important to be able to create a new, blank project and to reproduce the "bug" behaviour in the simplest way possible; I did so in each case, and most of the bugs are now fixed!

I encountered some non-bugs too. Just some things that I was having trouble wrapping my head around, and that I needed help walking through. I had to ask the community forums for help! And they are not specifically aware of the nature of my game either, for much the same reason. In order to solicit help, I couldn't throw a whole game engine and design document at them--they aren't going to make the game for me. Instead, I'd focus on a specific concept that I didn't know how to do, in the general case. I'd explain the general case and ask for help--and the code itself isn't voreish! :D

In both cases, I've been able to get great help without worrying about whether people like or dislike vore because that's fundamentally not what the questions are about--it's about code strategies and techniques!

(Simple example: suppose you need to draw a character image, and show a bulgy stomach attached to the character as they move. This isn't something in my own game, but I've seen it in others! If you needed help with this mechanic, you'd describe it differently! "Depending on the state of my character, a special effect picture should appear in front of them, moving with them and always facing the same direction as the player. How might I achieve this?" Same problem, but without the specifics that actually just confuse the issue)
Journeyman.
Journeyman
Advanced Vorarephile

Return to Vore game