Generations of Vore: Release Thread

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Generations of Vore: Release Thread

Postby pendingdelete8925gv258 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:56 am

Welcome to the wilderness, human.
This is the release thread for my first game, "Generations of Vore." If you frequent here, you might have scene the "Development and Suggestions" thread. If you're here to recommend an artist, point out a bug, or discuss a game design choice, please go there! This thread is for discussing the actual content of the game. If you're not sure how to do or find something or are otherwise stuck, you're in the right place.

What's this game about?
You play as a disciple of "Slaan," a goddess in a fantasy world whose domain revolves around vore. She has called you to go out and defeat a rival deity as her champion. There is predator and prey content in the game, and, a somewhat unique feature IMO, is that you can choose to be prey without suffering consequences. In fact, gameplay wise, there is no difference between being the pred or prey as long as you win the fight.

What kind of content is there?
Oral Vore, Unbirth, Anal Vore, Cleavage Vore, Nipple Vore, and Cock Vore are all planned. Watersports largely replaces scat as a method of disposal. (Humans are ~60% water, after all.)
F/F predominantly, with M/F and sissy + herm content as well, though they take a backstage to the major categories. Bonus scenes (non-combat encounters) will have greater variety. Limited "furry" content, though some minor anthro/myth and beastial content will likely be in the game.

What can I expect in future updates?
Here are the general milestones I have for the game. The longest stretches will likely be from 0.0 to 0.1 and 0.3 to 0.4, but I can't make any guarantees. However, I'll try to put out more scenes when I make them, so if you're thirsting for more, look forward to the letter-based incremental updates.
Spoiler: show
.1 - finish core combat and exploration established, including exploration, item generation, random encounters, and the final boss ;
.2 - all core vore scenes incorporated ;
.3 - finish adding spells ;
.4 - add more enemies ;
.5 - add more consumables
.6 - GUI overhaul (use NVL for combat?);
.7 - effects and better character images ;
.8 - add sounds and music ;
.9 - add combat GUI ;
1.0+ - add vore-specific sprites to vore scenes

How do I play?
Explore -> Attack -> Rest until HP is full. Repeat, profit. Don't die.
The other way to play is to use magic, but it isn't fully fleshed out yet. Two spells are in the game currently, "Heal" and "Fireball."

Downloads:

(Please keep in mind that until the game reaches release 0.1, it will be considered very, very alpha. More info here.)

Changelog:
Release 0.0a: Base game content with images for the Bandit, Amazon, and Amazon Queen. UB/OV/OV/AV for Amazon, OV/AV/CleavageV for Bandit, OV/AV for Amazon Queen.
Release 0.0b: Bugfixes to cover crashes in the equip menu and the Bandit's scenes.
Last edited by pendingdelete8925gv258 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pendingdelete8925gv258
Been posting for a bit

Re: Generations of Vore: Release Thread

Postby pendingdelete8925gv258 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:57 am

Things to know about the current release:
The game's content ends after defeating the Amazon Queen. Literally nothing comes after that. You can probably continue to fight the bandits and amazons in the wilderness, but the forest is devoid of content right now. There is no reason right now not to rest until your HP is full right now, but that may change in the future. Finally, on the "Equip" menu, armor pieces will display a bonus to attack. They do not actually give you a bonus to your attack, but rather to your resistance, or "RES."

General things to know about the gameplay:
The Camp:
The camp allows you to do a variety of things. Resting restores health and hunger, the latter of which is used for spells. Resting can't be done if you're too hungry, so go out and fight some battles to eat some people. In the future, consumables may supplement this function.
Stat Checking is straightforward and shows you information about your character. The main ones are your damage and magical rating. Higher damage is simple enough to understand: your attacks are more effective. Magical rating is an indicator of how powerful your spells will be. Higher is always better. Higher resistance means you take less damage. Allure, Dexterity, and Strength are all indicators of what kind of weapons you can wield. Currently, that's all they do, though that may change in the future. Wands are good for spell casting and use Allure. Vibrators are decent at both, while dildos are 100% attack. You can barely cast spells with them.
Equip lets you select what you want to wear. You'll get a popup saying what your current stats are, so keep that in mind while you look around. The game will only display what items you have the stats to actually equip, though.
That's where the next one comes in. Check inventory lets you look at all your items and will give you a description of whatever you pick.
You can also delete items to gain some extra XP by "Sacrificing items to Slaan." Careful not to put yourself in a situation where you can't equip any weapons after dying.
Venturing out further will increase enemy difficulty, XP gain, and item quality. If you can survive it, do it.
The game will let you know if you can level up, and it's recommended to do so immediately. Choose one of the three stats to raise by one point. You also get a 10 point bonus to health and hunger.
You can also check what spells you know and, finally, there's the option to explore. Pick a location to go to and you'll either fight an enemy or find an item.

Enemy List:
Wilderness:
Amazon Queen
Amazon
Bandit

Cheetah-girl
Centaur
Will-O-Wisp

Forest
Sorceress
Elf Maiden
Elf Warrior (Male)
Faerie
Dryad
Mushroom Girl

Mountain
Fallen Angel
Giant
Giantess
Harpy
Shaman

Jungle
Medusa
Slimegirl
Mermaid
Lamia
Flytrap

The Dungeon
Vampire
Looter
Cultist
Drider
Wraith

Hell
???
Succubus
Incubus
Hungry Souls
Hellhound
Flame Steed
Last edited by pendingdelete8925gv258 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
pendingdelete8925gv258
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheVoreEngineer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 am

Ok, gave the game a little run as well as checked the code (TY renpy magic). For a first release, this is pretty good, it's got it's a little backstory, a couple of scenes and a good setup for things to come. Let me just say first off from the developer side, holy crap that is come clean as code, delightful to look at, and all nice and clean. Like, I wish I had that level of programming skills, but alas. Looks really clean and runs smoothly. Second off, The general gameplay layout you got so far seems good, with an item system as well as a combat system already in place. As a backbone for a game, this seems really good.

However, as with all things, improvement is always possible. Quickly I just want to note that the positioning of the enemy popup text to outline what my opponent is doing is obscured by the text box, which I didn't even realize existed until I played around 10 minutes. I doubt the positioning is meant to be like this, so may be worth updating the next version with this change.

Now, the parts that are me being picky. Again, note these are just ideas from me atm, you don't have to use them, or do, it's up to you. A key thing I noticed that was missing was a lack of polish, mainly regarding a specific area. again, as a first release these aren't all that important, however as you go on, it may be worth considering. Basically, even including the enemy popups, I feel there is a lack of feedback with combat, you know what you're doing, but the notification popup lasts only a short while, as well as the enemy pop up only lasts until another action is taken. The health is then shown, then the loop happens all over again. While it seems ok on paper, it makes the combat cycle extremely quick and not very satisfying overall to play. I don't feel as if I am able to overcome my opponent, rather I am spamming a button till I get the win condition. As the game goes on, I'm sure this will be iterated upon and improved, but for now, that's what I can see.

Can't wait to see updates and improvements as the game keeps being made!
Come check out my stuff!
The Aussie words man who just keeps coming back apparently.
TheVoreEngineer
Participator

Postby forumlurker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 am

Would it be an idea for you guys to work together? I have a feeling you're aiming at nearly similar games.
forumlurker
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby pendingdelete8925gv258 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am

TheVoreEngineer wrote:Ok, gave the game a little run as well as checked the code (TY renpy magic). For a first release, this is pretty good, it's got it's a little backstory, a couple of scenes and a good setup for things to come. Let me just say first off from the developer side, holy crap that is come clean as code, delightful to look at, and all nice and clean. Like, I wish I had that level of programming skills, but alas. Looks really clean and runs smoothly. Second off, The general gameplay layout you got so far seems good, with an item system as well as a combat system already in place. As a backbone for a game, this seems really good.

Thank you very much! This is high praise and it made me smile.

TheVoreEngineer wrote:However, as with all things, improvement is always possible. Quickly I just want to note that the positioning of the enemy popup text to outline what my opponent is doing is obscured by the text box, which I didn't even realize existed until I played around 10 minutes. I doubt the positioning is meant to be like this, so may be worth updating the next version with this change.

Thank you for pointing this out. I know what's causing it, and you can see it for yourself:
Code: Select all
renpy.show_display_say(None,"The Amazon Queen wrestles you into a submissive posture, inflicting " + str(damage) + " damage!")

This isn't "placed" anywhere in particular on the screen or otherwise modified. It's the closest thing you can get to a "print" method. What is basically happening is I'm running the "say" method that belongs to the Ren'Py Character class. Usually, you define a character with a name, font, font color, formatting like that. The problem is that Ren'Py has some real trouble with scope handling. You can see some leftovers from this problem in the handling for equipping items when nothing is currently equipped:
#g("You equip the [item.name]") todo: this is a scope problem. gotta change this to either "notify" or "renpy.show_display_say"
self.inv.remove(item)
self.weapon.append(item)

Basically, Characters get retarded when they try to access come variables. I got some really, really weird shit going on with this, like the name of the argument actually calling a variable with the same name instead of using the one assigned to it when running the method. If you don't program, on the dumb scale, that's the equivalent of grabbing your ankles, shoving your head up your ass and calling it a donut.

In regards to when I'll actually fix this... see the top of the main script? I wasn't planning on doing anything serious for the GUI until 0.6. It just isn't a major issue. The game is playable right now, and there are more pressing concerns. One of which you mentioned...

TheVoreEngineer wrote:Basically, even including the enemy popups, I feel there is a lack of feedback with combat, you know what you're doing, but the notification popup lasts only a short while, as well as the enemy pop up only lasts until another action is taken. The health is then shown, then the loop happens all over again. While it seems ok on paper, it makes the combat cycle extremely quick and not very satisfying overall to play. I don't feel as if I am able to overcome my opponent, rather I am spamming a button till I get the win condition.

Here's a post I made in the other thread about the difficulties of creating turn based combat.
It's sort of a rant, but the point is that it quickly becomes harder to make combat entertaining the more layers of space and movement you remove. I mentioned in that post that "A Vore Dawn" got the formula pretty well. I might amend that to say that, yes, the combat was not shallow. I had to think it through. It wasn't, however, very enjoyable. It got in the way of what I wanted to play. Games like Flexible Survival and CoC/TiTs get around this by making the content inside of the combat. In this game and many other vore games, the sex content (which is what 99% of players want) is usually after the combat.
My plan to make the combat more interesting was to include the spell system, which, while it would be more difficult to use, would ultimately be more rewarding. It isn't fully implemented yet, however, and even then the combat would be lacking that special touch. I'm not terribly concerned with it right now, because, honestly, combat wasn't the top priority when I set out to make this game. I'm saving that for when I finish my libtcod tutorial and can make a decent 2D game on that platform.

forumlurker wrote:Would it be an idea for you guys to work together? I have a feeling you're aiming at nearly similar games.

Yes, that would be an idea /s :lol:
Seriously though, I'm pretty wrapped up with this project right now, but the thought out response was enough to get my attention and I'm gonna take a look at their project. From what I can see, they already have a more fleshed out combat system anyways.
pendingdelete8925gv258
Been posting for a bit

Postby VVVx » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:09 pm

This was made with RenPy, right? How much trouble would it be for you if I requested a Linux download?

Edit: Actually, running Generations.sh seems to work perfectly. Might want to advertise that for the other Linux users here.
VVVx
Participator

Postby TheVoreEngineer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:37 pm

forumlurker wrote:Would it be an idea for you guys to work together? I have a feeling you're aiming at nearly similar games.

SikeSky wrote: Yes, that would be an idea /s :lol:
Seriously though, I'm pretty wrapped up with this project right now, but the thought out response was enough to get my attention and I'm gonna take a look at their project. From what I can see, they already have a more fleshed out combat system anyways.

Thanks, but I probably won't collaborate, not because I feel you're unskilled but I recognise I phase in and out of being around to actually do work on my projects very sporadically, meaning that collaborating with me at all would literally be a huge pain in the ass, since for all I know I've ice-boxed the project or I become busy with the monotony of everyday life. Plus, I want to see how this game progresses as time goes on, since from what I can see the premise of our games are completely different, and most likely will be really cool to see a roguelike game recreated in the renpy engine.
Come check out my stuff!
The Aussie words man who just keeps coming back apparently.
TheVoreEngineer
Participator

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:30 am

Found a crash.

Anytime you use a % character in renpy text it is considered a format specifier.

Since there was no parameter for it renpy crashed. Either use an escape character or spell out percent. I forget what the escape character is at the moment.

Otherwise looking good, I like the attitude of the player character. Their motivations really work for a pred and prey game.

Another crash...

When killed and coming back to life if you try to go and equip something the screen crashes. It's trying to access your array of items at index 0 but you have no items equipped so it's an out of range error, need some extra cases there if you have nothing equipped
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby pendingdelete8925gv258 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 am

ryanshowseason3 wrote:Found a crash.

Anytime you use a % character in renpy text it is considered a format specifier.

Since there was no parameter for it renpy crashed. Either use an escape character or spell out percent. I forget what the escape character is at the moment.

Otherwise looking good, I like the attitude of the player character. Their motivations really work for a pred and prey game.

Another crash...

When killed and coming back to life if you try to go and equip something the screen crashes. It's trying to access your array of items at index 0 but you have no items equipped so it's an out of range error, need some extra cases there if you have nothing equipped

Thanks for the feedback. I found the % bug on my own, but it was actually present twice in the code, once for each route you go in the bandit's dialogue tree. I only fixed one of them.

I'm... confused about the equip after rebirth bug. It shouldn't be doing that; I spent a while addressing issues like this.

if len(self.weapon) > 0:
                            n = self.weapon.pop()
                            self.inv.append(n)
                            self.weapon.append(item)
                            self.inv.remove(item)
                            renpy.notify("You switch out the "+ n.name + " for the " + item.name + " .")
                        else:
                            #g("You equip the [item.name]")
                            self.inv.remove(item)
                            self.weapon.append(item)

The notification is commented right now, but there's no reason it should be generating an error like that. I'll look into it, thank you.
pendingdelete8925gv258
Been posting for a bit

Postby cheese130 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:10 pm

SikeSky wrote:
ryanshowseason3 wrote:Found a crash.

Another crash...

Thanks for the feedback. I found the % bug on my own, but it was actually present twice in the code, once for each route you go in the bandit's dialogue tree. I only fixed one of them.

I'm... confused about the equip after rebirth bug. It shouldn't be doing that; I spent a while addressing issues like this.

if len(self.weapon) > 0:
                            n = self.weapon.pop()
                            self.inv.append(n)
                            self.weapon.append(item)
                            self.inv.remove(item)
                            renpy.notify("You switch out the "+ n.name + " for the " + item.name + " .")
                        else:
                            #g("You equip the [item.name]")
                            self.inv.remove(item)
                            self.weapon.append(item)

The notification is commented right now, but there's no reason it should be generating an error like that. I'll look into it, thank you.

here's my crash log if it helps
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 482, in script
    python:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 483, in <module>
    renpy.notify("You have " + str(me.weapon[0].value) + " ATK / " + str(me.weapon[0].magic) + " MAG / " + str(me.armor[0].value) + " RES")
IndexError: list index out of range

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 482, in script
    python:
  File "C:\Users\name\Downloads\Generations-0.0a-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 814, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\name\Downloads\Generations-0.0a-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1719, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/script.rpy", line 483, in <module>
    renpy.notify("You have " + str(me.weapon[0].value) + " ATK / " + str(me.weapon[0].magic) + " MAG / " + str(me.armor[0].value) + " RES")
IndexError: list index out of range

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Generations of Vore 0.0a
cheese130
Somewhat familiar

Postby pendingdelete8925gv258 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks for the log! I found the problem. Apparently I made my last fix to that after release? Not quite sure. It's a weird situation, but I'll have the fixed version up in a moment.
pendingdelete8925gv258
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jacobtheespeon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:15 am

Loving this so far, even if there are only three enemies :p
Jacobtheespeon
Participator

Postby SteamPunker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:26 pm

so is this still being worked on?
SteamPunker
New to the forum

Postby pendingdelete8925gv258 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:48 am

SteamPunker wrote:so is this still being worked on?

Sorry to say, but no. I had a lot of momentum going before the real world kicked in.

About a week ago, my laptop's hard drive died. I was pretty upset about that, in no small part due to the fact that basically all of Generations was saved on that machine. I know, I know! Should've backed it up, but I didn't. It was a pretty new computer, so I just... didn't think it'd die like that. The hardest part of making the game was the art resources, so even if I recover the original file, it'd take time that I just don't have to recreate it. It's possible that I might pick it up again, but we're talking... far, far future. Probably never.

Which is a shame. I was having a lot of fun with it, and (not to toot my own horn) I thought I had some pretty good ideas regarding game design :D

Anyways. "Merry Christmas."
pendingdelete8925gv258
Been posting for a bit

Return to Vore game