Godot 3.0 released

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Godot 3.0 released

Postby MirceaKitsune » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 pm

I definitely think this deserves a thread to raise awareness. I recently posted a submission for this purpose, but wanted to make sure game developers on this thread see the memo as well.

godotengine.org

So, what is Godot? For those who haven't heard of it before: Godot is a game engine and development toolkit, similar to Unity or Unreal Engine. The important difference is that unlike those, it's free and open-source software... one that aims to provide the same features and performance as its proprietary counterparts. Godot is to the world of game development what Blender is to the world of animators.

Now the engine has been around for a few years under version 2.1. The problem is that this version has never been optimized for 3D support, only the 2D framework received any real attention: While 3D games were possible, they were implemented and ran very poorly rendering them practically unusable. Godot 3.0 was officially released just a few days ago and finally changed all that: A new 3D framework was added allowing for modern optimized functionality! On top of that it introduced another long awaited feature: Visual scripting, letting game logics be defined via nodes without you even having to write a line of code.

Considering the engine is fully free and easy to work with, I believe it would be a great candidate for the higher quality vore games. I already have plans for at least one of my own, though considering how many things I'm busy with it's unlikely to see much progress anytime soon. I believe there are a few good video tutorials out there... the engine also comes with a bunch of demos showcasing its various features, which you can open in the editor to study how they're set up.

Let me know what you think. If you have any Godot projects of your own, please share them here and let us know! I'm hoping any developers seeing this decide to pick up the engine and do something interesting with it.
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Re: Godot 3.0 released

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh neat stuff
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby AcevisElecion » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 am

Aye. Godot is definitely an Engine I'm looking forward to toying around with in the near future with a proper mini workstation or so. Not so much for vore games specifically but they will be an option most likely.
AcevisElecion
Somewhat familiar

Postby generalr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Every time I've tried tutorials with Godot, something has gone horribly wrong. I really did try to get it to work, but I'll have to say that the support for Unity is infinitely better. I may think about coming back to Godot, but it's not going to be soon.
generalr
Somewhat familiar

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 pm

generalr wrote:Every time I've tried tutorials with Godot, something has gone horribly wrong. I really did try to get it to work, but I'll have to say that the support for Unity is infinitely better. I may think about coming back to Godot, but it's not going to be soon.

Maybe give version 3.0 a try? It's redone many things and improved a lot. Though I'll be honest: The UI is still pretty unoptimized, and I too am waiting to see the same ease as when using Blender.

Unity and Unreal Engine may otherwise be more polished, but remember they're not truly free software and also don't work very work well on mobile or Linux. Godot is better in those aspects and has a few unique features of its own.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby Fancyguy9900 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 am

I'm interested in this actually! But, can someone explain what the heck the mono version is? I know a lil C# and if it lets me use that somehow then I'd like to give that version a try first
Fancyguy9900
New to the forum

Postby sweetladyamy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:11 am

I've definitely heard of this engine in the past...
Mostly what I've heard is negative criticism, same with software like GCH and so on.

I definitely want to try my hand at Godot at some point, but not sure when.

However, I will be bookmarking it.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby MirceaKitsune » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 am

Fancyguy9900 wrote:I'm interested in this actually! But, can someone explain what the heck the mono version is? I know a lil C# and if it lets me use that somehow then I'd like to give that version a try first

I understand they offer two versions of the engine for download: A normal one, and one compiled for MONO. The Mono version supposedly supports C# scripting / modules in addition, that's pretty much it.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby sweetladyamy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Requires Open GL 3.0 (I'm hardlocked at 1.4).

Unusable for me with my lackluster hardware. No, I am unable to afford upgrades of any sort unless I can get them for free.

SO DON'T BUG ME ABOUT UPGRADING!!

sweetladyamy
---

Postby MirceaKitsune » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:57 pm

sweetladyamy wrote:Requires Open GL 3.0 (I'm hardlocked at 1.4).

Unusable for me with my lackluster hardware. No, I am unable to afford upgrades of any sort unless I can get them for free.

SO DON'T BUG ME ABOUT UPGRADING!!

Yes, the new version will require OpenGL 3.0. That is a pretty ancient version however... I can only assume you're using very old hardware if you're locked to 1.4, for which Godot is likely not intended. There will be support for multiple renderers later down the road, but I doubt any can work on such old versions.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby sweetladyamy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:20 am

MirceaKitsune wrote:Yes, the new version will require OpenGL 3.0. That is a pretty ancient version however... I can only assume you're using very old hardware if you're locked to 1.4, for which Godot is likely not intended. There will be support for multiple renderers later down the road, but I doubt any can work on such old versions.

My Dell Optiplex 330 refurbed piece of crap is at least eight years old, by model...

sweetladyamy
---

Postby MirceaKitsune » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 am

sweetladyamy wrote:My Dell Optiplex 330 refurbed piece of crap is at least eight years old, by model...

Ok. My laptop and computer motherboard are roughly the same age, but still support most modern architectures of today. OpenGL 1.4 sounds very ancient to me, 3.2 is itself about a decade or longer old... I assume it must be using an Intel video card or something that wasn't specifically intended for gaming.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby sweetladyamy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:40 pm

MirceaKitsune wrote:...I assume it must be using an Intel video card or something that wasn't specifically intended for gaming.

Integrated Graphics, to be precise (all handled by the CPU-an Intel G33).

sweetladyamy
---

Return to Vore game