Vore War V10

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
For instruction on how to add games to our download section, click here

Should I slow things down and spend more time testing before uploading?

Yes, there's too many bugs in the releases you throw out.
20%
No, we don't mind dealing with the bugs if it means things keep coming at a faster pace
80%

Total votes : 46

Vore War V10

Postby Aurilika » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm

A few months ago I stumbled across darkevilme's game Vore War. I enjoyed it but was a little annoyed with parts of the interface and the AI. I found a link the code and decided to port it as a personal project. Then I started finding some of the half implemented features, and it gave me ideas. I asked darkevilme if I could continue the game and post it on the forum, and he said yes. So, a few months later, after much real life and feature creep, I'm releasing my version of it. I thought about waiting until I've made every change I wanted, but I decided I'd rather get people's input to help shape it.

strategic 09C.jpg
Strategic Screen

V10 Tactical.jpg
Tactical Screen

The basic premise of the game is that there are multiple players battling it out in a turn based battle game with a strategic layer and a tactical layer for battles. Vore plays a large role in the game.

Changes I'm working on or considering
Spoiler: show
A complete stat rework, changing to a smaller number of stats that have more overlap (some of the stats don't have a whole ton of utility at the moment)
Continuing to improve the AI and add more AI options.
Neutral races who have villages and aren't particularly interested in conquest

Things I can add if enough people are interested
Increase the amount of changeable variables and increase mod friendliness. Some examples of basic variables are army sizes, village max population, items in the shop, etc.
A hero system, where roughly every x number of births, a hero is born in a city, who has increased stats, and probably other special abilities, to give a smaller number of characters you can get more attached to.
Better UI graphics
Custom colors for characters

Things I'd like to add, but my art skills are lacking
More races and/or races that look more different from each other (you might have figured out from the fox and wolf sprites that I'm not particularly talented as an artist.)
The option for other character genders
Might as well throw visible clothing / armor in there as well.

Feel free to make suggestions for gameplay features, options, changes, issue fixes, or things you want to be able to modify. Right now there's only a small amount of save slots because it's likely that any new major features might break save compatibility.

If you want to donate to support development, let me know.

UI is designed for 16:9 resolution, but I'm leaving the option to pick resolution open so people can use what they like, it's just that other resolutions will have some extra blank space on the full screen UIs

Changelog
10:
Imps have been added to the game. Right now they are using clothes scaled from the normal clothes, so they don't look perfect, but it was either that or no clothes option for them.
There are some other minor cosmetic issues with clothes I didn't have time to fix.
Sound has been added. Right now there is only sound during battles, and the sounds can sound kind of silly if the AI is set to move fast, but I think it works. If the current sounds are not to your liking, you can let me know, or turn off sound in the options menu.
Game now confirms that you want to quit. Helpful for preventing accidentally closures.
Pathfinding will try to avoid walking through hostile villages unless that is your destination
Can now specify the % of advanced weapons in the create tactical screen.
New content settings management screen. This saves me from having to duplicate it in 3 places(both starting screens and the options menu), and allows a convienient way to temporarily or permanently change your content settings. Starting weight, average breast size, and hermaphrodite percentage are new categories in there.
Fix where legacy strategic AI would softlock if the place it was trying to reach was completely inaccessible.
Fixed a bug that would cause slime's hair and body colors to be swapped in battle compared to in the recruit screen.
Fixed a bug that caused the extra slime drops to be the wrong color
Think I finally fixed all of the errors in the map editor.

09G:
Furry Hands/Feet is now an option in the options menu.
Fix for weapons being invisible
(Map Editor)
Eliminated Races that are added back into the game will now be able to act again, instead of staying knocked out of the game.
Fix for villages not moving correctly when the map is resized from the bottom or left
Villages are no longer placeable on map edges in the map editor, it caused too many issues. Villages on an edge tile after being resized will be deleted as well
Fix for create strategic flagging a map as being too crowded when it doesn't matter because the cities are already placed.

09F:
The first 5 races have furry hands and feet now. If you don't like this, let me know and I'll make it an option instead.
3 Male hairstyles have been added to replace the 3 most feminine hairstyles for males. You can manually give females the male hairstyles and vice versa in the customizer window. I haven't made slime versions yet so slimes don't possess male hairstyles.
Shorts have been added to replace the leotard for males, but only for the first 5 races, as the shorts look silly on harpies, slimes, lizards and scylla
Hiring window now takes up the full screen, and displays the stats of all units, in addition to better using the space.
Tightened up the stat ranges so there is less (but still a fair amount) of variability
Added names for fox/wolf/bunny towns . Bunnies use a different set of names if they're not predators.
Fixed the show world settings screen ending the battle if used in tactical games
Map editor resize can now add or subtract from whichever side you wish.
Various Map Editor fixes for things not working as intended.

09E:
Fix for names not pulling correctly from the files due to an oversight.
Fix for not being able to save in the other save slots
Fix for weightgain option not being properly saved with the saved game
Fix for resized maps in the map editor not scrolling properly

09D:
Added Scylla, Harpies. Trying to play a game with all 9 races is not particularly recommended, unless you don't mind scrambled start locations.
Added weight gain option that's fairly basic right now, it doesn't work for lizards or slimes, scylla, or harpies and increases leg and breast size for each target absorbed, up to its limit.
Added tooltips to the create strategic/tactical screens to better explain some things
Can now use a custom list of male/female names if desired, they are in the UserData folder in the game's directory that will be created when the game is first run.
Tweaked the order of layers to get them back where they're supposed to be
Can now save maps separately, and edit them from the main menu as well. You can choose a map to begin on in the strategic creation screen, and it will use the terrain and villages from that map.
Added a couple more save slots, since I'm doing better with save compatibility than I thought I would be doing.
Placing a village in the map editor will now automatically place fields around it. You can manually remove some of them if you wish, though.
Save games and Maps are now stored in the /UserData directory, for more convienient locating. Save games in the main folder should automatically relocate themselves to the appropriate place.
Fix for the AI trying to replenish armies at dead villages
Fix for the All empires in the create strategic window not working
Fix for me forgetting to add eye color to the customizer window. Eye colors now use their own list of colors instead of sharing hair colors (the solid black eyes did not look very good)
Fix for clothing being on the wrong layer and for lizard/slime bellies being the wrong color

09C:
Added a basic map editor. It will have more functionality over time / as requested.
Clothing added, can be turned on and off in options. When a unit is digested, the predator unit will spit out any remaining clothes. The percentage of units that wear clothes can be set at the start of a game, or in the options menu. As for males, it will not retroactively change units that have already been created, but you can change your own units with the unit customizer.
Increased customization options, including eye color and breast size.
Males added, you can set how often they spawn in the creation screen, or in the options menu. Changing the options menu will not retroactively convert units to a different gender. It is a cosmetic difference only.
Defected units are now added to the army after the battle if there is space, otherwise they are teleported to the closest town as a hireable. Defected garrisons simply join the garrison again for the conquering team.
Can now recruit from allied villages.
More options and a redesigned interface for the create strategic screen
Can modify turn order for races.
Now start with starting gold plus one turn's worth of income instead of just starting gold, and starting gold amount can be changed.
Fixed graphical glitch where some tiles that were partially off the edge of the screen would not be drawn
Fixed issue where starting a pure tactical game set for walled village would fail to make a game.
Fixed bug where auto spend level ups / AI level ups would apply the 1 point bonus to all stats twice (This has been there all along, so high level AI armies will be noticibly less strong)

09B:
Fix for If you encounter enemy units in the field that defect to your army and your army doesn't have room for the defections, it will softlock (it worked fine in villages).
Fix for defected units occasionally showing up on both sides, or neither side.
Fix for defecting garrison units and no units from any armies causing an empty messagebox to show up instead of displaying the amount of garrison that defected.
Minor fix for empty save games displaying odd information.

09A:
fix for displaying that it couldn't load a savegame that loaded correctly if the player whose turn it was had no villages left
fixed being able to devour negative villagers
fix for dismissing causing population to drop
Can now always rehire units from village without having to build a subjugation pen

09:
Save games should be compatible, but stats and some other features might not work correctly.
Added 2 new races, lizards and slimes
players can now be placed on teams, units can move through allied villages, but not interact with them at this point, and only 1 army can occupy a square, still. Allied armies that are in allied villages will defend them, and if either of the allies is a player, the player can control both the garrison and the army for that battle (or turn it over to the AI with the command). If your team reclaims a village that is one of the races for your team, it will be turned over to its race.
Can now build a subjugation pen in occupied villages, that allows you to recruit their units to your army. This building is destroyed when the village changes hands.
Units of other races have a chance to defect depending if they encounter an army/village of their own race. The chance is based on the will stat, and is linear between 20% per battle at 0 will, and 0% per battle at 40 will
The capital now has a 50% max population boost. It also has capital defense building whenever it is owned by its original owner, that raises its maximum garrison by 8, and allows 8 garrison maintenance free.
Villages of other races now only contribute 80% of normal income.
Added Auto-level up and mass buy accessory options
Added armory, that when built in a village, causes the garrison to use advanced weapons. This may be redesigned in the future.
Training building cost increased, and added functionality where all garrisons and units start with 4 xp for each trainer built in your empire / team.
AI improvements, they build more types of buildings and more often (fixed issue that caused them to not build buildings when they should.), can actually train in certain circumstances, will try to seek out strong armies with their own strong armies if favorable odds.
Exp gain for devouring villages lowered from 4 xp per population down to 1 per population.
Compound bow damage reduced from 8 to 6, and range from 8 to 7.

Full changelog is included in the file, but I'm keeping this trimmed to an extent.

August 16th - V10 Released - Save games should still be compatible.

Win 32 Bit - http://www.mediafire.com/file/fdkdvdr3s ... 2.zip/file
Win 64 Bit - http://www.mediafire.com/file/i4wzcy9q4 ... 4.zip/file
Mac - http://www.mediafire.com/file/7dm5mb1mp ... c.zip/file

I have no way to test the mac version, so let me know if it doesn't work correctly.
I can produce a linux version as well, but I'll wait and see if it has any demand before setting up for it.
Last edited by Aurilika on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:15 am, edited 31 times in total.
Aurilika
Somewhat familiar

Re: Vore War V08

Postby GreenSlime » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Ooh, this is interesting. Changes sound really cool and male chars/male vore are really rare. Definitely will be following this.

I actually did some light spriting (armor pictures) for original vore war, but, sadly, I never got to releasing it and it got lost together with my old hard drive. I could try drawing something again.

Armors were combined with weapons due to old game's limitations, though, so, i guess, adding separate armor slot will be the first suggestion.
GreenSlime
Been posting for a bit

Postby Rayen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 pm

I wish I wasn't so busy with my other work or I'd love to do more spritework on this again. I remember playing with them and making those character sprites. (Though I'm not really proud of the doggirl tails now that I look back at them. :V)

Anyway, glad to see someone working on this again. I wish ya all the luck with any additional features ya plan to add. :V
Disclaimer: I am a lazy bastard.
Rayen
Advanced Vorarephile

Blog: View Blog (69)

Postby RediQ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 am

Woah, I'd never heard of the original Vore War, but I'm glad you're doing this.

A tactics rpg with a vore-driven combat system is something I'd thought about making for a long time before actually starting my own (very different) game, so I'm excited to see this and looking forward to watching how it develops... Would help with art if I could, but, well, that's the part I'd also be lacking if I'd tried to make something similar.
RediQ
Somewhat familiar

Postby Anesthetic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 am

Hey cool. I always loved this game. Awesome to see someone actually pick up a mantle and run with it. Most of the time someone says they are going to do this and all we ever get is Ambitions, and planned features. You actually succeded.
Anesthetic
Participator

Postby Zomulgustar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 am

Interested, but I keep getting an "Unable to connect to mediafire" message.
Zomulgustar
Participator

Postby RediQ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 am

I dunno if this is a bug (feels like one?), but whenever I level up a soldier, the game becomes impossible to interact with after I choose which stat to upgrade. Just in case it matters, both attempts I tried putting the level into Speed.

The screen stays dimmed like it is while you select which stat, but the stat-selection box vanishes so I'm just stuck softlocked on a dimmed screen with no apparent way to back out or select anything else.

Edit: Also, this one I'm less sure if it's a bug, but on the strategy map I'd see enemy towns labeled as "garrison: none" and then have to fight a battle against 16 enemies anyway when I tried attacking. Is that just an intentional advantage given to the ai to have automatically full garrisons versus the player, or is it not intended?
RediQ
Somewhat familiar

Postby darkevilme » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 am

I just want to say openly for the record. I have given full permission to Aurilika to continue vore war in this fashion and I am happy to see him taking up the torch of my old project.

Congratulations on your first release Aurilika. I'll give the game a try sometime soon.
edit:
Gave it a try
it seems level up selections don't work properly. It doesn't undim after you've made your choice.
darkevilme
---

Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby nnnddt » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Don't know if it's me who didn't see it, but i don't see where i can go for equip a specific item to a specific girl.
And same than others before, lvl up a girl don't allow me to play further, what is problematic when your ennemies have an army with plenty of leveled up girls.
nnnddt
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aurilika » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:38 pm

RediQ wrote:I dunno if this is a bug (feels like one?), but whenever I level up a soldier, the game becomes impossible to interact with after I choose which stat to upgrade. Just in case it matters, both attempts I tried putting the level into Speed.

The screen stays dimmed like it is while you select which stat, but the stat-selection box vanishes so I'm just stuck softlocked on a dimmed screen with no apparent way to back out or select anything else.

Edit: Also, this one I'm less sure if it's a bug, but on the strategy map I'd see enemy towns labeled as "garrison: none" and then have to fight a battle against 16 enemies anyway when I tried attacking. Is that just an intentional advantage given to the ai to have automatically full garrisons versus the player, or is it not intended?

Okay, I've released a fixed version that fixed the level up bug. The good news is that the saves should be compatible (note that they are just saved in the directory). Hopefully the autosave feature prevented people from losing to much to what was effectively a freeze. The dimmed screen was a relatively recent addition to make the level up menu more clear, but I apparently forgot to add one line of code in the right place, everywhere else the dimming turned off fine. :oops:

That garrison thing is a bug and definitely not intended, I'll look into it. Edit: I can't seem to replicate that bug. If it happens again, try to get a save for it. I think what might be happening is that the AI (assuming you're playing against the Full strength) will wait until there's an army within attacking distance of a town before raising a garrison, so maybe you're seeing no garrison the turn before and then not noticing that it changes? A garrison of 16 should be listed as 'huge' under my system for making enemy numbers vague inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic.

nnnddt wrote:Don't know if it's me who didn't see it, but i don't see where i can go for equip a specific item to a specific girl...

The way the shop screen currently works is that you enter into the shop screen for a particular girl, and can sell her items or buy items for her.
Last edited by Aurilika on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurilika
Somewhat familiar

Postby Aurilika » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm

GreenSlime wrote:Armors were combined with weapons due to old game's limitations, though, so, i guess, adding separate armor slot will be the first suggestion.

This is relatively easy to add, the question I ended up on is do you make separate versions of the army for different size bellies or do you just have them take off the armor when they eat someone? I couldn't find a great answer to that. I'm not afraid to add more layers, as I was going to try to add a separate layer for eyes, but the ones I tried to draw looked worse than the current set (which are actually part of the hair) that are still in the lower resolution.

Rayen wrote:I wish I wasn't so busy with my other work or I'd love to do more spritework on this again. I remember playing with them and making those character sprites. (Though I'm not really proud of the doggirl tails now that I look back at them. :V)

Anyway, glad to see someone working on this again. I wish ya all the luck with any additional features ya plan to add. :V

Well, I was the one that edited them to a higher resolution, so I'll repeat as I said in the credits (that are in the help menu). If it looks good, it's probably because of you, if it looks bad, it's probably because of me :D
Aurilika
Somewhat familiar

Postby RediQ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Aurilika wrote:That garrison thing is a bug and definitely not intended, I'll look into it. Edit: I can't seem to replicate that bug. If it happens again, try to get a save for it. I think what might be happening is that the AI (assuming you're playing against the Full strength) will wait until there's an army within attacking distance of a town before raising a garrison, so maybe you're seeing no garrison the turn before and then not noticing that it changes? A garrison of 16 should be listed as 'huge' under my system for making enemy numbers vague inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic.

This... might be what happens.

I'm sure it's because I'm bad at the money management aspect somehow, but I didn't consider that it was possible to just have the cash on hand to be able to suddenly do that while also having one or more well-equipped huge armies roaming the map.
RediQ
Somewhat familiar

Re: Vore War V08A

Postby Absentia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Glad you decided to continue this, when he said he had no plans on continuing this before, did feel like a little bit of a waste, it had a solid foundation and plenty of potential, look forward to seeing you develop this more.
Absentia
Somewhat familiar

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 am

oooOOOOooooooh. checked out vore war a while back and wasn't happy with it; maybe this'll suit my tastes better. gonna be watching this develop
Slayerhero90
Participator

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Lonewolf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

I played the old version of vore war, and I have to say this is a huge improvement on the game. Great job!

If you are open to suggestions. I have a few quality of life changes:
* A -levelup available- indicator of some kind would be a nice on the army info screen
* A -buy expensive all- button to give the stronger version of weapons to your army
Lonewolf
New to the forum

Postby GreenSlime » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Could you post or send me a spritesheet? I think I lost the old one and Unity is harder to interact with in this regard, i'll try doing something with armor/weapons/models themselves.

Another thing is skin tones. The ones in old Vore war were somewhat... yellow-y. Thee are many hex codes for more natural skin over the internet.

these ones are good:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5d/7b/ac/5d7b ... design.jpg
GreenSlime
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aurilika » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Lonewolf wrote:I played the old version of vore war, and I have to say this is a huge improvement on the game. Great job!

If you are open to suggestions. I have a few quality of life changes:
* A -levelup available- indicator of some kind would be a nice on the army info screen
* A -buy expensive all- button to give the stronger version of weapons to your army

Thank you, and I'll definitely implement both of these changes.

GreenSlime wrote:Could you post or send me a spritesheet? I think I lost the old one and Unity is harder to interact with in this regard, i'll try doing something with armor/weapons/models themselves.

Another thing is skin tones. The ones in old Vore war were somewhat... yellow-y. Thee are many hex codes for more natural skin over the internet.

these ones are good:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5d/7b/ac/5d7b ... design.jpg

I'll play around with the skintones to find what works well. Here's the current spritesheet for you, and in case anyone else wants to poke around with it.
sprites.png
Character Sprites
Aurilika
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jade86 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 pm

are you going to implement other vore actions like anal or unbirth or cock vore ?
Jade86
New to the forum

Postby Jadex » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm

heya the only thing I kinda wanted in the original game was a mode to run either ai vs ai or player vs player so it would be real neat if you could get that to work

• Neato apparently you already got that setup
Last edited by Jadex on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jadex
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aurilika » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Jade86 wrote:are you going to implement other vore actions like anal or unbirth or cock vore ?

I do have something in mind for unbirth, but as for the others, as it stands now I don't know how I'd differentiate them other than just being a simple text change.

Jadex wrote:heya the only thing I kinda wanted in the original game was a mode to run either ai vs ai or player vs player so it would be real neat if you could get that to work

That's already in the game. You can play with 4 human players, or you can play with 0 human players, or anything in between. (The options menu also lets you adjust how fast the AI moves so that you can keep up). I did that pretty early on because it helps with testing features.
Aurilika
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to Vore game