Vore War V23B

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
For instruction on how to add games to our download section, click here

Vore War V23B

Postby Aurilika » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm

A few months ago I stumbled across darkevilme's game Vore War. I enjoyed it but parts of the interface didn't work how I'd expect them to work. I found a link to the code and decided to port it as a personal project. Then I started finding some of the half implemented features, and it gave me ideas. I asked darkevilme if I could continue the game and post it on the forum, and he said yes. So, a few months later, after much real life and feature creep, I'm releasing my version of it. I thought about waiting until I've made every change I wanted, but I decided I'd rather get people's input to help shape it.

Strategic v21.jpg
Strategic View

Tactical V21.jpg
Tactical View

GameplayOptions.jpg
Some of the options

The basic premise of the game is that there are multiple players battling it out in a turn based battle game with a strategic layer and a tactical layer for battles. Vore plays a large role in the game.

Feel free to make suggestions for gameplay features, options, changes, issue fixes, or things you want to be able to modify.

UI is designed for 16:9 resolution, but I'm leaving the option to pick resolution open so people can use what they like, it's just that other resolutions will have some extra blank space on the full screen UIs

Recent Changelog
Spoiler: show
23B:
Did some adjustments to the newer vore formulas:
Escape is slightly less likely at all levels, and considerably less likely at very low health values
Formulas have been adjusted so that early level ups don't affect them as much, and significant stat differences have a more pronounced effect (to have a feel more like the previous system)
Vore odds again decrease as predators fill up with prey (accidentally forgot to include that part)
Stomach damage has tweaked to better keep up as units gain levels (though a level 10 digesting a level 10 will still take longer than a level 1 digesting a level 1)

Fixed some miscellanous rare exceptions. (Including updating the windows versions to come with the Userdata and saves and maps folders instead of creating them when first run (To try to fix a super rare exception that's probably related to permissions))
Fix that running out of mana for a unit can cause buttons in that slot to be disabled for other units instead of correctly resetting when a new unit was selected.

23A:
Fixed the tutorial not loading properly, though it probably would have also been affected by the issue below.
Fixed glitch loading a pure tactical save from a previous version with the summon spell, and fixed an issue with loading a previously saved tactical save throwing an exception during the stats page.
Fixed up some dragonfly sprite issues

23:
Updated the formulas for vore attack / prey escaping, and vore damage. It's certainly possible I may have introduced bugs so let me know.
The short version is vore is easier to do, but escape chances are higher.
For a longer version
Vore now takes into account the size of predator and prey, also the attacker's health percentage has an effect. The defender's strength also plays a minor role in vore defense (will is still the dominant stat)
The Prey escape rate has been increased by a fair amount in most cases. The odds take into account how full the predator is now, and there's a sizeable bonus to escape chance if the prey are bigger than the stomach (such as when dimishment wears off mid-digestion). It now uses 50% will, 16.6% strength, dexterity and endurance each as the stats for escape.
Digestion damage is now more complicated in general, instead of solely based on the stomach stat. Digestion damage decreases as there are more prey in a stomach, and larger prey take more damage (due to more surface area). 25% Voracity and 75% Stomach are the attack stats, and endurance and will are the defense stats. Digestion also does more damage the longer the prey is in the stomach.
Since Harpies were argueably the weakest race, they have recieved the trait Keen reflexes (which pushes them into the upper middle range). I was tempted to use Artful Dodge, but there's already a lot of things using that.
Light weapons (mace / simple bow) now have a small accuracy bonus to make them more interesting.
Fixed a bug where only 1 fleeing unit headed to a town that was no longer theirs would pick a new town each turn, and the rest of the travelers would not update at all for that turn (even ones that were supposed to be heading to that town)
Can now skip the rest of battle during the AI turns if the other empire is a player, any options you check apply to the player's side (surrender, etc.)
Added options to prevent the AI from ever fleeing, and also to allow the AI to hire special mercenaries (It will still be fairly rare)
Added additional sliders to the map generator for finer control (forests, swamps and hilliness)
Fixed bug where if the world generator had to add village paths (like it does if you have a very high water percentage), the pathfinder would still consider those tiles as invalid until you loaded the save again or entered and exited the map editor.
Dragonfly race added as a monster race
Can no longer buy stock weapons for allies to avoid cheesing allies you plan to betray (The AI also didn't really need help on that front, and would probably fight anything you tried to do). Also fixed it so if you buy a village building for an ally, it uses your money and not theirs.
The Unit exchanger now uses less harsh movement rules, rather than setting the mp of both armies to 0. I've tried to end up on a fairly logical system. If an army receives a unit, it will then have the MP of either the transferring army assuming it moved into that square, or the armies current MP, whichever is less. So if an army has 2 MP, is on grass, and receives a unit from an army with 2 mp, the receving army would now have 1 Mp. (The Receving units were assumed to have 2 mp, and moved, and had 1 left, so they effectively slow the army down). If the transferring army had 3 mp and the reciever had 2, then the MP of both armies would be unchanged. This also means that a solo army can split off units without losing mp, so it can be cheesable, but the tradeoff of being less of a hassle is worth it. You still need at least 1 mp for both armies though, even though if one of the armies only transfers it won't be charged. (This is mainly to keep the screen from having to reject moving units and open with only partial functionality)
Spells now count properly as kills (for direct damage hits, not damage over time), properly awarding kill experience, showing up in the unit's kill count, and showing up in the tactical log and at the end of battle.
The player's army will now not retreat when given control for a turn, and the skip rest of battle allows you to choose whether they can retreat (previously they could retreat in single turn mode, but couldn't in skip, or at least I think that's how it worked)
Cleaned up a few oddities in the tactical message log, including making self belly rubs use their own text.
Vagrant paralyzation odds decrease the more times it has paralyzed a single target during the same battle.
Traits that are explicitly removed from a unit by the unit editor will now stay gone, instead of coming back at certain types when the traits are refreshed from race traits (like between versions). Also fixed exiting the world settings screen overwriting units that had been specifically made preds / non preds by adding / removing the prey trait.
The maximum delay on actions has been increased in the options menu as requested as an option for slower pace.
Fixed save create strategic game settings option and export not working correctly on mac.
Fixed monsters getting stuck in allied villages under certain circumstances.
Rags now hide their lower half properly if the clothes vanish on cockvore setting is set.
Fixed a bug where taurus with a belly and an erection were not behaving as intended
Fix for enlarging and then reducing the combat log text would cause the window to be misaligned, also fixed it having text exceed the window height.
Can now edit the relations between any two empires in the cheat menu (For now you can't change the actual relation type, but the relations would update automatically whenever either empire takes a turn (offering peace, declaring war, etc.)
Fixed being able to give negative gold to allies (though I'll admit it was amusing you could make empires mad at you by stealing their gold).
If Diplomacy is on, empires that have allies but have no villages (I.e. are being kept in play by having allies) have their relations quickly fall so that the alliance will be broken after a few turns.
Dragons now display the selicia belly correctly even with a single prey
Some fixes / updates relating to scat/bones courtesy of dddddd2

June 9th - V23B Released -- As usual, savegames should still be compatible.

Win 32 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/0q8kasn4 ... 2.zip/file
Win 64 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/qqftiwqa ... 4.zip/file
Mac - https://www.mediafire.com/file/bxlbddns ... c.zip/file
Linux 64 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/5l2y176r ... 4.zip/file

For those that want to check out the source code / unity project you can check it out here : https://www.mediafire.com/file/k7gdmygp ... B.zip/file . It's not the greatest quality code, but it's not terrible either. You can also view all of the graphics in there as well.

Discord server https://discord.gg/qTQSztP

If you want to donate to show your support and support development then go to https://digitaltipjar.com/Aurilika
Last edited by Aurilika on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 143 times in total.
Aurilika
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Vore War V08

Postby GreenSlime » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Ooh, this is interesting. Changes sound really cool and male chars/male vore are really rare. Definitely will be following this.

I actually did some light spriting (armor pictures) for original vore war, but, sadly, I never got to releasing it and it got lost together with my old hard drive. I could try drawing something again.

Armors were combined with weapons due to old game's limitations, though, so, i guess, adding separate armor slot will be the first suggestion.
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby Rayen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 pm

I wish I wasn't so busy with my other work or I'd love to do more spritework on this again. I remember playing with them and making those character sprites. (Though I'm not really proud of the doggirl tails now that I look back at them. :V)

Anyway, glad to see someone working on this again. I wish ya all the luck with any additional features ya plan to add. :V
Disclaimer: I am a lazy bastard.
Rayen
Advanced Vorarephile

Blog: View Blog (69)

Postby RediQ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 am

Woah, I'd never heard of the original Vore War, but I'm glad you're doing this.

A tactics rpg with a vore-driven combat system is something I'd thought about making for a long time before actually starting my own (very different) game, so I'm excited to see this and looking forward to watching how it develops... Would help with art if I could, but, well, that's the part I'd also be lacking if I'd tried to make something similar.
RediQ
Participator

Postby Anesthetic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 am

Hey cool. I always loved this game. Awesome to see someone actually pick up a mantle and run with it. Most of the time someone says they are going to do this and all we ever get is Ambitions, and planned features. You actually succeded.
Anesthetic
Participator

Postby Zomulgustar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 am

Interested, but I keep getting an "Unable to connect to mediafire" message.
Zomulgustar
Participator

Postby RediQ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 am

I dunno if this is a bug (feels like one?), but whenever I level up a soldier, the game becomes impossible to interact with after I choose which stat to upgrade. Just in case it matters, both attempts I tried putting the level into Speed.

The screen stays dimmed like it is while you select which stat, but the stat-selection box vanishes so I'm just stuck softlocked on a dimmed screen with no apparent way to back out or select anything else.

Edit: Also, this one I'm less sure if it's a bug, but on the strategy map I'd see enemy towns labeled as "garrison: none" and then have to fight a battle against 16 enemies anyway when I tried attacking. Is that just an intentional advantage given to the ai to have automatically full garrisons versus the player, or is it not intended?
RediQ
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 am

I just want to say openly for the record. I have given full permission to Aurilika to continue vore war in this fashion and I am happy to see him taking up the torch of my old project.

Congratulations on your first release Aurilika. I'll give the game a try sometime soon.
edit:
Gave it a try
it seems level up selections don't work properly. It doesn't undim after you've made your choice.
darkevilme
---

Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby nnnddt » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Don't know if it's me who didn't see it, but i don't see where i can go for equip a specific item to a specific girl.
And same than others before, lvl up a girl don't allow me to play further, what is problematic when your ennemies have an army with plenty of leveled up girls.
nnnddt
Somewhat familiar

Postby Aurilika » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:38 pm

RediQ wrote:I dunno if this is a bug (feels like one?), but whenever I level up a soldier, the game becomes impossible to interact with after I choose which stat to upgrade. Just in case it matters, both attempts I tried putting the level into Speed.

The screen stays dimmed like it is while you select which stat, but the stat-selection box vanishes so I'm just stuck softlocked on a dimmed screen with no apparent way to back out or select anything else.

Edit: Also, this one I'm less sure if it's a bug, but on the strategy map I'd see enemy towns labeled as "garrison: none" and then have to fight a battle against 16 enemies anyway when I tried attacking. Is that just an intentional advantage given to the ai to have automatically full garrisons versus the player, or is it not intended?

Okay, I've released a fixed version that fixed the level up bug. The good news is that the saves should be compatible (note that they are just saved in the directory). Hopefully the autosave feature prevented people from losing to much to what was effectively a freeze. The dimmed screen was a relatively recent addition to make the level up menu more clear, but I apparently forgot to add one line of code in the right place, everywhere else the dimming turned off fine. :oops:

That garrison thing is a bug and definitely not intended, I'll look into it. Edit: I can't seem to replicate that bug. If it happens again, try to get a save for it. I think what might be happening is that the AI (assuming you're playing against the Full strength) will wait until there's an army within attacking distance of a town before raising a garrison, so maybe you're seeing no garrison the turn before and then not noticing that it changes? A garrison of 16 should be listed as 'huge' under my system for making enemy numbers vague inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic.

nnnddt wrote:Don't know if it's me who didn't see it, but i don't see where i can go for equip a specific item to a specific girl...

The way the shop screen currently works is that you enter into the shop screen for a particular girl, and can sell her items or buy items for her.
Last edited by Aurilika on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurilika
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Aurilika » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm

GreenSlime wrote:Armors were combined with weapons due to old game's limitations, though, so, i guess, adding separate armor slot will be the first suggestion.

This is relatively easy to add, the question I ended up on is do you make separate versions of the army for different size bellies or do you just have them take off the armor when they eat someone? I couldn't find a great answer to that. I'm not afraid to add more layers, as I was going to try to add a separate layer for eyes, but the ones I tried to draw looked worse than the current set (which are actually part of the hair) that are still in the lower resolution.

Rayen wrote:I wish I wasn't so busy with my other work or I'd love to do more spritework on this again. I remember playing with them and making those character sprites. (Though I'm not really proud of the doggirl tails now that I look back at them. :V)

Anyway, glad to see someone working on this again. I wish ya all the luck with any additional features ya plan to add. :V

Well, I was the one that edited them to a higher resolution, so I'll repeat as I said in the credits (that are in the help menu). If it looks good, it's probably because of you, if it looks bad, it's probably because of me :D
Aurilika
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby RediQ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Aurilika wrote:That garrison thing is a bug and definitely not intended, I'll look into it. Edit: I can't seem to replicate that bug. If it happens again, try to get a save for it. I think what might be happening is that the AI (assuming you're playing against the Full strength) will wait until there's an army within attacking distance of a town before raising a garrison, so maybe you're seeing no garrison the turn before and then not noticing that it changes? A garrison of 16 should be listed as 'huge' under my system for making enemy numbers vague inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic.

This... might be what happens.

I'm sure it's because I'm bad at the money management aspect somehow, but I didn't consider that it was possible to just have the cash on hand to be able to suddenly do that while also having one or more well-equipped huge armies roaming the map.
RediQ
Participator

Re: Vore War V08A

Postby Absentia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Glad you decided to continue this, when he said he had no plans on continuing this before, did feel like a little bit of a waste, it had a solid foundation and plenty of potential, look forward to seeing you develop this more.
Absentia
Somewhat familiar

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 am

oooOOOOooooooh. checked out vore war a while back and wasn't happy with it; maybe this'll suit my tastes better. gonna be watching this develop
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Lonewolf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

I played the old version of vore war, and I have to say this is a huge improvement on the game. Great job!

If you are open to suggestions. I have a few quality of life changes:
* A -levelup available- indicator of some kind would be a nice on the army info screen
* A -buy expensive all- button to give the stronger version of weapons to your army
Lonewolf
Been posting for a bit

Postby GreenSlime » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Could you post or send me a spritesheet? I think I lost the old one and Unity is harder to interact with in this regard, i'll try doing something with armor/weapons/models themselves.

Another thing is skin tones. The ones in old Vore war were somewhat... yellow-y. Thee are many hex codes for more natural skin over the internet.

these ones are good:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5d/7b/ac/5d7b ... design.jpg
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby Aurilika » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Lonewolf wrote:I played the old version of vore war, and I have to say this is a huge improvement on the game. Great job!

If you are open to suggestions. I have a few quality of life changes:
* A -levelup available- indicator of some kind would be a nice on the army info screen
* A -buy expensive all- button to give the stronger version of weapons to your army

Thank you, and I'll definitely implement both of these changes.

GreenSlime wrote:Could you post or send me a spritesheet? I think I lost the old one and Unity is harder to interact with in this regard, i'll try doing something with armor/weapons/models themselves.

Another thing is skin tones. The ones in old Vore war were somewhat... yellow-y. Thee are many hex codes for more natural skin over the internet.

these ones are good:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5d/7b/ac/5d7b ... design.jpg

I'll play around with the skintones to find what works well. Here's the current spritesheet for you, and in case anyone else wants to poke around with it.
sprites.png
Character Sprites
Aurilika
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Jade86 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 pm

are you going to implement other vore actions like anal or unbirth or cock vore ?
Jade86
New to the forum

Postby Jadex » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm

heya the only thing I kinda wanted in the original game was a mode to run either ai vs ai or player vs player so it would be real neat if you could get that to work

• Neato apparently you already got that setup
Last edited by Jadex on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jadex
Somewhat familiar

Postby Aurilika » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Jade86 wrote:are you going to implement other vore actions like anal or unbirth or cock vore ?

I do have something in mind for unbirth, but as for the others, as it stands now I don't know how I'd differentiate them other than just being a simple text change.

Jadex wrote:heya the only thing I kinda wanted in the original game was a mode to run either ai vs ai or player vs player so it would be real neat if you could get that to work

That's already in the game. You can play with 4 human players, or you can play with 0 human players, or anything in between. (The options menu also lets you adjust how fast the AI moves so that you can keep up). I did that pretty early on because it helps with testing features.
Aurilika
Intermediate Vorarephile

Next

Return to Vore game