Vore War V39

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vore War V26A

Postby TheBlueRaichu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Is there any plans for making a Customizable Race? Sprites, text, and all? Just one? If not then it's fine.
TheBlueRaichu
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aurilika » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:45 pm

SomeGuy89 wrote:Got to say I'm enjoying the game a lot more than it 'appeared' I would. The amount of variety of what you can do to tailor YOUR experience of what you want to see and do is well done; the 'Map Editor' has especially caught my attention.
I do have some nitpicks though: like no picture example in the 'Race Editor' with so many races and creatures with their weird names It can be hard to remember what-is-what so I think an example image whilst editing would be a good quality-of-life addition.
Suggestion 1: When creating a new world (Create Strategic) the option to establish the enemies and/or allies of the races involved in that world before starting I think would be cool to see.
Suggestion 2: a Food chain, personally I'd like to lock out certain races from eating one another, like the Lamia, Scylla, and Slime, but all of them are preyed upon by Dragons.
And that's all I got to rant about, for now, I'll be keeping this game in mind for the future keep up the good work.

That would probably be a good idea to add a picture for that. I see Suggestion 1 was already answered.
As for suggestion 2, that is an interesting thing, but I think it would be kind of unwieldly in practice, setting up a grid of can/can't eat, and then writing code to enforce that in a bunch of different places.

carlj wrote:It's nice to have more races added, but i have one question: Where the centaurs at? I thought someone was working on them?

Well, GreenSlime was working on them, but he was also working on a lot of things, so eventually, perhaps.

Micadi wrote:I've stumbled upon this game a few days ago, didn't expect much, but ended up being more than positively surprised by it. I enjoy it so much that I'm actually considering contributing to it, if possible. Or to put it in simpler terms, mod it and create new races for it.

I don't have any experience with Unity though and the most when it comes to graphical stuff I've done in the past was making simple icons, but I have both time and will to learn and I finished mod projects in the past that took hundreds hours to complete, so unless I end up really sucking at this I'm positive that I will be able to finish whatever I would start here.

That being said, considering that there are people actively modding this game here could I ask for links to necessary programs / helpful guides either via pm or as a reply to this post? I simply want to know how to get started.

Well, the process for adding races is honestly not the best system in the world, I had a poor system until about 8 races, and then I upgraded it to a decent system, figuring it would max at about 15 or 20. I was never expecting it to get anywhere near the current count of 52. If I'd known that I would have redesigned it again to make it simpler, or even just limited their options and made them capable of being just dropped in (aka shift most of the set up work to the creator of the race instead of to me).
If you download the source files you can see all of the sprites in the sprites directory, but there's a few edits you'd have to make to the code to add a new race in, which I can detail for you at some later point if you're interested.

Turbotowns wrote:It'd be nice if the message telling us what happens between the AI empires... DIDN'T go away after a while(it's not like it pauses the game like the events for the human controlled empires).

Well, it's 90 seconds if there's at least one human in the game, or 12 seconds if it's all AIs so that it doesn't turn into a fat stack. This is one of those changes that people requested, but I thought would be overkill to actually have an option for.

Turbotowns wrote:Also, graphical bug report, with, what else? The Slime Queen. XD
Cock vore gives her an extra pair behind her cock, UNDER the balls ALREADY there.

Okay, I'll add that to my notes for the next patch, since I've already got this one uploaded.

TheBlueRaichu wrote:Is there any plans for making a Customizable Race? Sprites, text, and all? Just one? If not then it's fine.

It's unlikely to happen at this point. It would take quite a bit of setup, and as previously noted I'd sort of burned out to some extent on the graphics part of this game.

Releasing 26B to fix a couple of issues, and add a few minor features.

26B:
Added an option to have the AI randomly cheat in special mercenaries when they make an army. This obviously adds difficulty to the game and adds a considerable amount of randomness, but can be used to spice up a match.
Special Mercenaries with the eternal trait added to them will now stay on the same side when they die, as opposed to going back into the pool.
Fixed a little bit of misplaced event text in the bandit raider event
Fixed the empire report diplomacy screen to use the empire's name on the right side instead of the race (only matters if you've changed it, or if you've done race replacements)
Fixed some graphical issues related to the updated equines, particularly with their new outfit. I did my best to eliminate issues with it, but the belly will still occasionally expand past it during movement, and the belly covering disppears when it exceeds a certain size.
Fixed the male/female/herm traits in the content settings window not working properly.
The unit editor now has a button to swap a unit from one side to another during a tactical battle.
Fix for Leaders in pure tactical games not being created using the race's base stats.
Aurilika
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Micadi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:44 am

Aurilika wrote:Well, the process for adding races is honestly not the best system in the world, I had a poor system until about 8 races, and then I upgraded it to a decent system, figuring it would max at about 15 or 20. I was never expecting it to get anywhere near the current count of 52. If I'd known that I would have redesigned it again to make it simpler, or even just limited their options and made them capable of being just dropped in (aka shift most of the set up work to the creator of the race instead of to me).
If you download the source files you can see all of the sprites in the sprites directory, but there's a few edits you'd have to make to the code to add a new race in, which I can detail for you at some later point if you're interested.

I will be grateful for any help I can get. As I mentioned before I never did any work in unity, so I don't know how to even set this up properly. I don't want to derail this thread too much, is it okay if I pm you for the details?

EDIT: For starters how do I even open the source files in game/unity? Which version of unity should I use?
Micadi
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aurilika » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 am

Micadi wrote:
Aurilika wrote:Well, the process for adding races is honestly not the best system in the world, I had a poor system until about 8 races, and then I upgraded it to a decent system, figuring it would max at about 15 or 20. I was never expecting it to get anywhere near the current count of 52. If I'd known that I would have redesigned it again to make it simpler, or even just limited their options and made them capable of being just dropped in (aka shift most of the set up work to the creator of the race instead of to me).

I will be grateful for any help I can get. As I mentioned before I never did any work in unity, so I don't know how to even set this up properly. I don't want to derail this thread too much, is it okay if I pm you for the details?

EDIT: For starters how do I even open the source files in game/unity? Which version of unity should I use?

I mean it's it's here people can look it up here, so that's fine for more basic things.

The version of unity it's using is 2018.3.12

Download that, then open the project in unity. Then hit play and it should play normally. (If your screen is black when you hit play, that means you need to open the scene file). After that, you can start tinkering around. A lot of the UI stuff is controlled more through the unity inspector, but most of the gameplay stuff and races are controlled through the code.
Aurilika
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Micadi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Aurilika wrote:I mean it's it's here people can look it up here, so that's fine for more basic things.

Download that, then open the project in unity. Then hit play and it should play normally. (If your screen is black when you hit play, that means you need to open the scene file). After that, you can start tinkering around. A lot of the UI stuff is controlled more through the unity inspector, but most of the gameplay stuff and races are controlled through the code.

Thank you for response. I've checked how project looks in unity. I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of, well, everything, but I guess its natural when you just start.
I've checked and compared various race scripts in Visual Studio, even though I am not 100% sure about the code I more or less see how everything connects, mainly to Sprite Dictionary and how most sprites there are structured (160 pixel size etc.).
I've seen sprite editor, but I feel like it is used only to separate singular sprites from the main image file, right? I assume that it means you create sprites via some external image editor and then import them into the project.

That being said, since I learned more or less how to navigate through project files in unity editor, I would like to know what steps I have to take to actually start working on a new race so its visible as separate entity in the project ( i guess the edits to the code you mentioned earlier). There is also one thing I can't figure out - how exactly are color palettes connected to sprites? I don't see any references to exact pixel/color in the race scripts or sprites.

Also, for future reference, if my race will be of enough good quality, what files would I need to create myself for you to consider putting them into main game?

EDIT: Once I will have more specialized questions (it is inevitable after all), what method of contact would be most preferred by you? Continue posting in this thread, private messages or some different form?
Micadi
Been posting for a bit

Re: Vore War V26B

Postby Turbotowns » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:04 pm

for some reason my save has become completely incompatible with the latest update.
It throws an exception after a fight between the AI but for some reason the the exception file is empty, so here's the save.
brokesave.zip
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Turbotowns
???

Postby TheFetishBeast » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:18 am

I've come across a pretty serious flaw with the 'switch side' button.

If you go to the unit editor while in Strategic mode, the button is not supposed to be there, right? It's not and it makes sense. Well, problem is, once you've done that, it stays gone. Even if you go into tactical mode, it's still gone. Even if you leave the current game and start a new one, it's still gone. You have to shut off the game entirely for it to reappear and make absolutely certain that you do not go to the unit editor while in strategic mode. Well, I go to the unit editor all the time. Several times a turn. It's like the button was never added for me.
TheFetishBeast
Participator

Postby Aurilika » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:26 am

Micadi wrote:
Aurilika wrote:I mean it's it's here people can look it up here, so that's fine for more basic things.

Thank you for response. I've checked how project looks in unity. I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of, well, everything, but I guess its natural when you just start.
I've checked and compared various race scripts in Visual Studio, even though I am not 100% sure about the code I more or less see how everything connects, mainly to Sprite Dictionary and how most sprites there are structured (160 pixel size etc.).
I've seen sprite editor, but I feel like it is used only to separate singular sprites from the main image file, right? I assume that it means you create sprites via some external image editor and then import them into the project.

That being said, since I learned more or less how to navigate through project files in unity editor, I would like to know what steps I have to take to actually start working on a new race so its visible as separate entity in the project ( i guess the edits to the code you mentioned earlier). There is also one thing I can't figure out - how exactly are color palettes connected to sprites? I don't see any references to exact pixel/color in the race scripts or sprites.

Also, for future reference, if my race will be of enough good quality, what files would I need to create myself for you to consider putting them into main game?

EDIT: Once I will have more specialized questions (it is inevitable after all), what method of contact would be most preferred by you? Continue posting in this thread, private messages or some different form?

Yes, sprites are created separately and then imported into unity. The sprite editor is just for splitting them up as you say. Then they're dragged into the dictionary as a place for the code to reference them.

Well, it depends on whether you're talking about a main race or one of the other races, but let's just cover the basics for the moment. To get it to show up in the Create Tactical screen as a race (or the unit editor), you would need to:
Add Race to Race enum in the appropriate section depending on what the role was (main race, mercenary, monster, special mercenary)
Create a <Race>.cs and complete to use all of the sprites, linked to sprites added to the project via the sprite dictionary (This will probably be the most time consuming part)
Add race to Races.cs so that it can reference it properly
Add parameters (base stats/traits) to RaceParameters, and add it to the lookup table at the top.

The palettes are set up in the color palette map, and they replace designated colors with the colors in the slot in one of the actual palettes (Assets/resources/colorpalettes). They replace colors that have a specified red component with the replacement color, so if it's say 152 to key 2, then any color with 152 out of 255 for red will be replaced by that other color, though they are usually just grays for simplicity.
I mean the sheet is the minimum, though as I've said I'm a little burned out on sprites. If it was the sheet and the <Race>.cs file, then it would be pretty easy, especially if you're using one of the existing palette swaps.
You can either ask here or message me, either way works.

Turbotowns wrote:for some reason my save has become completely incompatible with the latest update.
It throws an exception after a fight between the AI but for some reason the the exception file is empty, so here's the save.
brokesave.zip

Hmm, I tried running it for a turn and it didn't throw any exceptions for me, though some of those battles took a really long time to fast resolve, so I'm glad I capped it at the current max army sizes. And I mean a really really long time - there was a compy vs crypter battle that took 73 seconds to resolve. I thought Unity had hung at first (granted the editor is slower than playing the built version, but oof). I wonder if the exception is related to some setting you have, or just it actually breaking from such an intensive battle.

TheFetishBeast wrote:I've come across a pretty serious flaw with the 'switch side' button.

If you go to the unit editor while in Strategic mode, the button is not supposed to be there, right? It's not and it makes sense. Well, problem is, once you've done that, it stays gone. Even if you go into tactical mode, it's still gone. Even if you leave the current game and start a new one, it's still gone. You have to shut off the game entirely for it to reappear and make absolutely certain that you do not go to the unit editor while in strategic mode. Well, I go to the unit editor all the time. Several times a turn. It's like the button was never added for me.

Ah, I'll get that fixed for the next version
Aurilika
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Turbotowns » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 am

Hmm... I don't know what setting COULD break it... maybe one that was updated? Or one we have NOW. My computer can handle the fights no problem normally, so I don't know WHY it would break NOW.

Hmmmmmmm...
Turbotowns
???

Postby Micadi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:26 am

Aurilika wrote:Yes, sprites are created separately and then imported into unity. The sprite editor is just for splitting them up as you say. Then they're dragged into the dictionary as a place for the code to reference them.

Well, it depends on whether you're talking about a main race or one of the other races, but let's just cover the basics for the moment. To get it to show up in the Create Tactical screen as a race (or the unit editor), you would need to:
Add Race to Race enum in the appropriate section depending on what the role was (main race, mercenary, monster, special mercenary)
Create a <Race>.cs and complete to use all of the sprites, linked to sprites added to the project via the sprite dictionary (This will probably be the most time consuming part)
Add parameters (base stats/traits) to RaceParameters, and add it to the lookup table at the top.

The palettes are set up in the color palette map, and they replace designated colors with the colors in the slot in one of the actual palettes (Assets/resources/colorpalettes). They replace colors that have a specified red component with the replacement color, so if it's say 152 to key 2, then any color with 152 out of 255 for red will be replaced by that other color, though they are usually just grays for simplicity.
I mean the sheet is the minimum, though as I've said I'm a little burned out on sprites. If it was the sheet and the <Race>.cs file, then it would be pretty easy, especially if you're using one of the existing palette swaps.

Thanks for all the help! Now I know more or less what I have to do. I've already started working on sprites. It might take a while considering I never did anything like that before, but I at least finished first draft of basic body for the bee race (wings, antennae and abdomen with stinger will be done in separate sprites of course - abdomen because I plan to use it as a tail vore option so it will have to have different sizes too). For now grey scale image of default stance. I'm still not sure though do I want to give them two pairs of arms or not - feedback would be appreciated.
Attachments
beetest.png
Greyscale of default body stance. Abdomen, stinger, antennae and other features will be in separate sprites once I will make them.
beetest.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Micadi
Been posting for a bit

Postby Younger99 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Micadi wrote:
Aurilika wrote:Yes, sprites are created separately and then imported into unity. The sprite editor is just for splitting them up as you say. Then they're dragged into the dictionary as a place for the code to reference them.

Thanks for all the help! Now I know more or less what I have to do. I've already started working on sprites. It might take a while considering I never did anything like that before, but I at least finished first draft of basic body for the bee race (wings, antennae and abdomen with stinger will be done in separate sprites of course - abdomen because I plan to use it as a tail vore option so it will have to have different sizes too). For now grey scale image of default stance. I'm still not sure though do I want to give them two pairs of arms or not - feedback would be appreciated.

Looks pretty good for a starting point. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavour!
Younger99
Participator

Postby Turbotowns » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Micadi wrote:

Not bad! I look forward to see what this becomes!
Turbotowns
???

Postby Micadi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks! Currently working on face features. 8 pairs of eyes finished, 8 mouths/expressions finished, one of 10 planned hairstyles finished. Also one type of antennae finished, probably as a toggle on/off for the player to choose. Making good looking hair is harder than I thought. Below is a mash-up from different sprites to give you an idea how they might look when finished.
Attachments
bee2.png
bee2.png (28.97 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Micadi
Been posting for a bit

Postby Turbotowns » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:18 am

Noice!
Turbotowns
???

Postby Younger99 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:54 am

Micadi wrote:Thanks! Currently working on face features. 8 pairs of eyes finished, 8 mouths/expressions finished, one of 10 planned hairstyles finished. Also one type of antennae finished, probably as a toggle on/off for the player to choose. Making good looking hair is harder than I thought. Below is a mash-up from different sprites to give you an idea how they might look when finished.

Keep up the good work mate!
Younger99
Participator

Postby Younger99 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:05 am

I think a mouse race could easily work for this game.
I would make them myself but I have no idea how the hell to do it XD
Younger99
Participator

Postby Micadi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 am

Younger99 wrote:I think a mouse race could easily work for this game.

I had neither... until I asked. Just saying - I had no prior knowledge of either unity nor making sprites and I'm quite close to finishing first version of my race just after a week of work. Hopefully I will be able to post some in game images in a few days.
Micadi
Been posting for a bit

Postby Younger99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 am

Micadi wrote:
Younger99 wrote:I think a mouse race could easily work for this game.

I had neither... until I asked. Just saying - I had no prior knowledge of either unity nor making sprites and I'm quite close to finishing first version of my race just after a week of work. Hopefully I will be able to post some in game images in a few days.

Fair point.
Younger99
Participator

Postby Micadi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 pm

I've finally managed to get my race into the game. I would post it two days earlier but I had some major problems with getting this to work. And I still have a few bugs to squish...
I would really appreciate criticism.
Attachments
bees2.png
Micadi
Been posting for a bit

Postby Manchura » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:22 pm

bugs to squish.....
Manchura
Somewhat familiar

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game