Mugen Animation Swapping

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Mugen Animation Swapping

Postby Anesthetic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 am

So I've got a Mugen Character I'm trying to do a really simple edit to. I want to replace their forwards walking animation for a reversed version of their backwards walk. The animation looks good but there are 2 things I need to deal with or possibly deal with.

1 how do I get the character to work, when I try and save the character, even though I think I've named everything correctly, I've deleted the old animation, and put in the new one with the proper name and all, the game crashes when I try to launch it. It seems to be some kind of CNS error.

2 The animation currently has a Dead Frame in it I put in so it would have the same number of frames as the old animation just to avoid problems in the testing faze, but is it necessary to have the same number of frames or can I leave the dead frame out, being left with 1 fewer frame then before, and not run into issues because of that?
Anesthetic
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Mugen Animation Swapping

Postby SilverJ » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:33 am

For the first problem, it could be that you're trying to load the character on an older version of mugen than intended. If the error given has the line "Cannot load: (CHARACTER NAME).sff" then the .sff file is for a newer version. If that's not the case then try using 1.1 anyway, if it crashes again the error should give you the exact line and state where it crashes.

As for the second thing, so long as there's no code dependent on the number of frames or number of ticks you can leave it as anything. Otherwise you'll have to adjust every state that uses the animation(in the aforementioned way).
I.E Ryu shoots a hadouken on frame 4 but you only have 3 frames or after exactly 16 ticks but you removed some so it fires as he's pulling back instead of on thrust.
SilverJ
Been posting for a bit

Postby Anesthetic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:17 am

SilverJ wrote:For the first problem, it could be that you're trying to load the character on an older version of mugen than intended. If the error given has the line "Cannot load: (CHARACTER NAME).sff" then the .sff file is for a newer version. If that's not the case then try using 1.1 anyway, if it crashes again the error should give you the exact line and state where it crashes.

As for the second thing, so long as there's no code dependent on the number of frames or number of ticks you can leave it as anything. Otherwise you'll have to adjust every state that uses the animation(in the aforementioned way).
I.E Ryu shoots a hadouken on frame 4 but you only have 3 frames or after exactly 16 ticks but you removed some so it fires as he's pulling back instead of on thrust.

If I save the character as a 1.1 it loses the sprites for the character(I cant see the characters select screen Icon any more it's just a blank space), and it still reads out the same error message.

Error message: Can't access Data
Error in charactername.cns
Error loading chars/charactername/charictername.def
Error loading p1

thats the entire error message. It doesn't give me a line to correct. It tells me the file is wrong.

OK. So the game likes 1.0 sprites, and 1.1 cns, how ever I have no movement controles over the character anymore, and if I press attack, the character will repeate the command to attack untill I input another command.
Anesthetic
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nouvi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 am

Anesthetic wrote:Error message: Can't access Data
Error loading p1

Ummm... this will probably be a crapshot in the blind... but that typo, "charictername", might that not cause issues? I mean, not having an uniform name for reference might cause issues in most places where it looks for the same name.
Lurked for Years!
Nouvi
Participator

Postby SilverJ » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:43 am

Anesthetic wrote:If I save the character as a 1.1 it loses the sprites for the character(I cant see the characters select screen Icon any more it's just a blank space), and it still reads out the same error message.

Error loading p1

thats the entire error message. It doesn't give me a line to correct. It tells me the file is wrong.

OK. So the game likes 1.0 sprites, and 1.1 cns, how ever I have no movement controles over the character anymore, and if I press attack, the character will repeate the command to attack untill I input another command.

Could be a typo in the .def file like Nouvi mentioned. Although considering you managed to get it loaded anyway it's probably not, at least not in the .def file. There might also be a palette issue considering the character select icon doesn't show, unless you couldn't select it either in which case make sure the folder name matches the .def file.

As for that repeating animation, you didn't change any animation numbers did you? It sounds like the character is trying to load one that's missing. You can check that with debug mode(ctrl+d) in game.
SilverJ
Been posting for a bit

Postby Anesthetic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 am

SilverJ wrote:
Anesthetic wrote:If I save the character as a 1.1 it loses the sprites for the character(I cant see the characters select screen Icon any more it's just a blank space), and it still reads out the same error message.

Error loading p1

Could be a typo in the .def file like Nouvi mentioned. Although considering you managed to get it loaded anyway it's probably not, at least not in the .def file. There might also be a palette issue considering the character select icon doesn't show, unless you couldn't select it either in which case make sure the folder name matches the .def file.

As for that repeating animation, you didn't change any animation numbers did you? It sounds like the character is trying to load one that's missing. You can check that with debug mode(ctrl+d) in game.

Oh no, I was just using character name as a generic place holder here. Thats no the name of the character I'm working with, I was just being generic because this applies to all characters I want to alter animations to really.

The way I changed the animation is I went into the walk forward animation. I added the last frame of the walking backwards animation to it, then I deleted every frame but for the walking backwards animation frame and proceded to add the rest of the backwards walking frames in reverse order to the existing animation. Leaving me with the same number of frames, just using different ones then before.
Anesthetic
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SilverJ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:43 am

I'm aware that's a placeholder, just suggesting that the typo could still have existed.

By animation numbers I meant the ones that are loaded in code such as walking forward being animation 20 and walking backwards being animation 21. If the code tries to load a missing animation (or the state is missing changeanim) the animation will continue playing until changed.

It's kind of hard trying to come up with solutions without knowing what the code looks like or even having a real point of reference. Don't really wanna ask, but would you mind sharing the character so I can actually look into it. If you're still having issues that is.
SilverJ
Been posting for a bit

Return to Vore game