Abundant Farm (0.089) text cowtaur management (abandoned)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Abundant Farm (0.089) text cowtaur management (abandoned)

Postby Ngasta » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:56 am

EDIT: Sadly I won't be working on this game any more. In short, I'm not comfortable working on this type of game (i.e., the "subject matter"), so even though I genuinely enjoyed adding and testing new things, working on it was much harder than it would be if it was a more normal project. Thank you to everyone who played and tested the game, and thanks for all the great feedback! I'll probably release one last update, with what I have right now, even though it's incomplete. Sorry if this lets anyone down, but I think it's absolutely for the best to not force this kind of thing when my heart isn't in it. Feel free to use any of my silly ideas, of course.

ABUNDANT FARM

This is a text-based cowgirl management game. Basically, the player runs a farm, and feeds cowgirls food (and more...) to increase their stats, selling milk and other products for profit. Cows can also compete in the arena, with serious consequences. EDIT: Arena isn't in this version, yet. But there are eating contests, woo!

bablo.jpg

The future is now! I know, the 80's called, they want their games back... And the user interface is borderline non-existent, too. The whole thing is made with basic Python.

At the risk of repeating myself, this is a very, very rough prototype riddled with bugs, but hopefully a stepping stone towards bigger and better things. It's all going to be rewritten, but you can, of course, feel free to try it out as is.

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/bfv8p4fnrcqap2h/abundantfarm_0.089.zip/file
This is the very first, very rough, post-rewrite version.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler: show
-Actually... not sure exactly how much has changed, because lots of these changes are from a bit ago.
-Still working on combat, but added some other things too
-Stat system added, will be used for various things (sadly breaks save files again, but hopefully future ones will be compatible, as it will all be saved in the same place). For now, you can type "stats" in a stall to view total calories, and you will get bonuses from reaching certain milestones.
-Added two new eating contests. The last one is pretty crazy.
-Changed fitness into "mobility", mostly to avoid confusing people. As is, there isn't a true fitness system. That's definitely coming, but it'll take a good amount of work to write descriptions for all the different builds (for example, low, medium, high weight with low, medium, high muscle, etc). Mobility is just a binary thing for whether or not your cow is to move at the current weight.
-Gaining capacity is a good bit harder now. It might need some tweaking to make it easier, but in the previous version I realized it was possible to go from 100 to eating multiple dragons in around an hour of playtime, which is pretty silly.
-Probably some other things I forgot about because it's been a while.

-Hard mode actually exists now. It just affects a few small things, but will hopefully make the game significantly harder. As a result, normal mode is a lot easier now. I hope it's not too easy, but probably not. Let me know what you think. It's kind of hard to gauge the difficulty because I kind of have an unfair advantage in playing the game from knowing how exactly everything works :lol:
-Fixed a crash caused by healthMod when sleeping
-A new item late-game food is available for purchase at the black market!

-a lot has changed under the hood numerically. It's kind of hard to explain, but I think things will be better now--or at least easier to balance. One big difference is that lots of different statistics now have diminishing gains as they get too high. This will make the game harder... but also easier, as for example, it will stop a cow's weight from increasing too insanely.
-Belly rubbing has been added in a very tentative, flavor text-less state. Just type rub while in a stall to try it out. Note: it probably won't work at the beginning due to low affection. Try it when your cow is more than 175% full!
-A new and exciting "item" at the black market!
-Protein shakes are quite different now. They are now a very good source of protein for the price, but only increase health a little bit. Try the new "health shake" to increase health more.
-Cows can now gain height by having live prey digesting overnight. More calories helps a cow gain more height. Height affects fitness (fitness is determined by dividing protein by weight after weight is adjusted for height)

-Various little bugfixes
-Two new and very tasty "items" added to the black market!
-Hopefully prevented the game from crashing outright when winsound can't play a sound. This is still far from ideal, since the game uses sounds to space text in certain situations.
-If you want to see the inner workings of the game, make your name "Deveo", which serves as the debug mode. Also, try typing "testerino" if you want to cheat (this will also set your name to "Deveo"). If debug is on, type info in a stall to see some interesting figures.
-The very first steps towards a fitness system have been added. The numbers will need a LOT of tweaking. Right now, if your cow's fitness is below 1, your cow will A. lose health every night, and B. be unable to compete in contests due to immobility.
-A new and somewhat esoteric feature: the graveyard! Spooky, huh? It probably seems like a waste of effort for now, but I think it'll be very useful down the line.
-The funnel is now given as an option when you type help in a stall. It's now intended for the player to be able to use it (no upgrade needed, which might be OP). In order to compensate for having the funnel, bulk food items are cheaper compared to smaller ones.
-Completed more of the flavor texts for eating food. Still a bunch to go.
-You can now see day and month... but this does absolutely nothing right now, so don't get too excited.
-Tiny update, mainly to fix a serious bug with eating cows in different stalls (they could be eaten infinitely)
-You can now choose cow nature when starting a new game
-Strength can now increase. This is just an early test for the numbers. Right now it just increases caloric needs, but it'll be important for cowfights as well as mobility (more strength is required for heavier cows in order to be able to walk)
-Fixed a crash from eating a sufficiently small item (especially glut-x).
-Added a note to type help in the farm.
-Removed town because it does nothing.
-Rewrote everything, but things are more or less the same. The big differences are that the game now supports multiple cows, and that the inventory works much better with large amounts of items. Also, eating contests have been added. There are three right now, possibly more in the future.

-(hopefully) Fixed loading saves made after a cowfight (thanks thewatcheroftime)
-rewrote selling code, might be more stable
-added a couple new large food items, might make the fat cow slightly more feasible to eat
-digestion rate now has a significant affect on weight gain (it digestion rate is too low, it's going to be really hard to gain lots of weight)
-inventory now displays current gold, so do the arena and black market (thanks benevorlent)
-talk option is no longer displayed, as the feature doesn't exist yet
0.05: Added saving and loading. Woo! With the important caveat of you lose your inventory... but I'm working on that. At least you can save your progress with your cow, now. Type "save" while at your farm to save.
0.01: IT BEGINS

FEATURES:
-A fairly complex cow nutrition and stat tracking system. You can feed your cow a variety of foods to increase weight, protein, height, health, and more, which have various sorts of effects, most especially on milk production.
-Six different and hopefully interesting personalities for cows! This is in its very early stages, but it will affect TONS of things throughout the game.
-Your actions have big consequences under the hood, and have effects you might not expect. For example, there is an etiquette stat that can be raised or lowered through various means, which is kind of a sliding scale of savagery to civilization, and, for now, mostly affects how poor your cow's manners are, when it comes to burping, and their willingness to consume unwholesome things. Later on though, high etiquette will open up different types of possibilities. One cow personality has a major boost to etiquette, and another has a major boost to negative etiquette.
-A gradual progression from normal food into live prey. At first your cow likely won't have enough capacity to consume much at all, so you have to increase it through high fullness. Having live prey digesting gives some bonuses, notably to milk level and quantity.
-A cowfighting arena with 4 cows of varying strengths you can set your cow against in order to win gold, and possibly something else. If you win, the consequences could be... delicious. But if you lose... It's a good thing to be cautious, for sure.
edit: not in the new version, sadly. But it'll come eventually, and it'll be better than the very lazy system I had before!
-A (completely optional) simple waste system. It's very non-explicit, and refers to liters of cowpat, and its most graphic. You can collect and sell fertilizer from your cow. Or just disable it and not, it's up to you. There probably will be some bonus for having scat disabled to make it more fair financially. Right now, if you have scat disabled, your cow will retain a higher amount of calories over time, which should make things more balanced.
-Some vague semblance of a plot, which will certainly be fleshed out more.

-

PLANNED FEATURES:
-A lot, to be sure.
-Cowfighting system. (coming soon!)
-More foods, of course, and rebalancing, which is certainly going to be a constant process. Lots of the numbers and math are pretty arbitrary.
-A landlady who collects rent monthly, and who perhaps won't be very forgiving if you are behind on rent. She will have importance in the wider plot.
-Holidays and special events to give the calendar more meaning.
-Actually being able to talk to your cow. Right now, the dialogue is very placeholder-ish, so this would go along with rewriting things more carefully.
-More stat-altering drugs, including some with very exciting effects.
-Upgrades to purchase, like a bigger barn for large cows, or a milking machine which increases yield.
-More types of vore, especially breast / udder vore!
-Consensual vore with your cow, and some sort of more exciting scene with bigger consequences. Right now, you CAN get eaten, but it's just a two line game over screen. Yep.

TODO:
-Loads of things!
-Fitness system, so the game would recognize a difference between your cow just being obese versus built like a sumo wrestler, for example :lol:
For the next version:
-All prices are divided by 10
-Healthmod increases and decreases much more slowly (hopefully it won't be possible to have + or - 70000 healthmod any more
-Getting absurd capacity should be harder
-Added bonuses for 250, 500, and 1000 prey

DOUBTFUL FEATURES:
-Player as pred. RIght now, the player is very much anonymous and not the focus of the game. For instance, being male or female affects absolutely nothing, alas. This will certainly change later, and the player character will be somewhat more fleshed out. I'm not sure of having the player be pred, though, as it would open up a whole range of problems.
Last edited by Ngasta on Tue May 14, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Re: Abundant Farm 0.01: a text-based cowgirl management/sim

Postby Wolfcrux » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 pm

breast vore,does it have breast vore?THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Wolfcrux
Somewhat familiar

Postby Ngasta » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Not yet... But it most certainly will. :-D
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby Erecant » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Hmm, sounds interesting! An old fashioned text game, when well written, can be more engaging than more modern media, I've found.

That said, given the levels of complexity you're hinted to with the stats and such, alongside the also mentioned lack of a GUI, I'd rather heartily suggest a few commands for fetching pertinent information about what is going on. You don't want the player to have to juggle to many things without easy reference materials.

A couple questions, you've outed player pred as unlikely, and hinted player as prey under certain circumstances. Any plans for player as prey to their own cowgirl? Consensual or non, or both, why not. As extension, how do you feel about Game-Overs? Player eaten and back to title screen, or some magic hand-waving and on to the next day?

Altogether this looks like it could shape up to be a lot of fun. Good luck!

--Erecant
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby anonymousexperiment » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Very interesting, I have thought of doing things similar haha.
anonymousexperiment
Been posting for a bit

Postby jacobgr05 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 pm

I'd love the chance to feed myself to my prized cow-girl, she deserves it after all for being such a good ol girl.
jacobgr05
Somewhat familiar

Postby chefjellyguy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:24 pm

I am very interested in this concept!

Also, I understand if you don't end up adding it, but I will advocate for player as pred with all of the power internet comments give me, as it is my favorite part in most vore games.
chefjellyguy
Been posting for a bit

Postby YukiArikaMuze » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:51 pm

this could be intresting i do like farm games only question i suppose ill have is will there be art at anypoint or just purly text base ether option is okie with me just curios?
YukiArikaMuze
Somewhat familiar

Postby clone4000 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 am

This seems interesting. I'll keep an eye on this.
clone4000
Somewhat familiar

Postby thespyfurry69 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 am

love it
thespyfurry69
Been posting for a bit

Postby Ngasta » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:02 am

Download link, woo! http://www.mediafire.com/file/c3bno3sy9 ... .zip/file#

Erecant wrote:
A couple questions, you've outed player pred as unlikely, and hinted player as prey under certain circumstances. Any plans for player as prey to their own cowgirl? Consensual or non, or both, why not. As extension, how do you feel about Game-Overs? Player eaten and back to title screen, or some magic hand-waving and on to the next day?

--Erecant

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. It is currently possible to be eaten by your cowgirl, but it's not really much of a scene at all--that is, it's pretty much just a game-over screen. This is absolutely something that's going to be changed sooner rather than later. For now, if you let your cow's health or affection go too low, you get nommed, and the game ends.

This reminds me, it's really not much of a text-game, but more of a game which happens to use text as the interface. What I mean is that there aren't really "scenes" in the sense of long passages describing what's going on, but rather (in theory) the player would create their own scenes through gameplay. Or, I guess it's just that it's more of a number-crunchy simulation / puzzle than a visual novel type deal. This doesn't mean that I won't try to make the writing less bad, but the goal is to have things happen through mechanics, not text.

jacobgr05 wrote:I'd love the chance to feed myself to my prized cow-girl, she deserves it after all for being such a good ol girl.

She sure does, and I'm thinking about how to make it seem meaningful and fulfilling. The game is going to be all permanent digestion, I think, as the tone is kind of dark. So I'm thinking feeding yourself to your cow could give a different ending depending on your cow's weight, calories, relationship with you, etc.

chefjellyguy wrote:Also, I understand if you don't end up adding it, but I will advocate for player as pred with all of the power internet comments give me, as it is my favorite part in most vore games.

Hehe, noted! In a certain sense, the cow is the protagonist, or at least the deuteragonist, so if you like player as pred (it's definitely my favorite) it hopefully will have something of that feel. But for the actual player as pred, it's not impossible, and I like the idea, but the issue is that the player would have to have stats as well, which adds another layer of complexity. It's something to think about, for sure.
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby jacobgr05 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am

Ngasta wrote:Download link, woo! http://www.mediafire.com/file/c3bno3sy9 ... .zip/file#

jacobgr05 wrote:I'd love the chance to feed myself to my prized cow-girl, she deserves it after all for being such a good ol girl.

She sure does, and I'm thinking about how to make it seem meaningful and fulfilling. The game is going to be all permanent digestion, I think, as the tone is kind of dark. So I'm thinking feeding yourself to your cow could give a different ending depending on your cow's weight, calories, relationship with you, etc.

That is awesome. So if your cow girl hates you, she'll make it as long and nasty as she can. If she's neutral she could just not care about you at all and treat you like food. if she likes you she'll have fun with you and make sure you enjoy it, and if she loves you maybe make it a bit more passionate or add an option to just stay inside her for the night.
I'd find something like this amazing in a monster rancher style game, would definitely be tempted to donate to a patreon if it was done well.
jacobgr05
Somewhat familiar

Postby Turbotowns » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Are there hyperlinks to the different things you can do? I don't want to have to type everything. XD
Turbotowns
???

Postby Jazzumness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Pretty great what you have going so far
looking forward to a saving system
Jazzumness
Somewhat familiar

Re: Abundant Farm 0.05: a text-based cowgirl management/sim

Postby Ngasta » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 pm

0.05: Added saving and loading. Woo! With the important caveat of you lose your inventory... but I'm working on that. At least you can save your progress with your cow, now. Type "save" while at your farm to save.

I'm disappointed that you still can't save the items in your inventory, but being able to keep your progress for more than one session/ in case the game inevitably crashes is very big. For now, you can just sell your stuff at the shop before saving and quitting the game (you won't lose any money because everything is bought and sold at its actual value). Oh yeah, you can type "all" when you're selling things to sell everything in your inventory, which is rather vital when you have 50 gallons of milk.

Next up is making the inventory slightly less horrible, for example adding prompts for commands such as sell all. It's a big jump between making something for yourself and trying to make it playable for others, you know?
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWatcherofTime » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 pm

The "talk" option to the cow is bugged. It constantly says "what?"
TheWatcherofTime
New to the forum

Postby TheWatcherofTime » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:57 pm

The 'load" just kicks me out to desktop

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python36\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 14, in run
File "C:\Python36\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 26, in run
File "vorefarm.py", line 2504, in <module>
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'HP'
TheWatcherofTime
New to the forum

Postby Jazzumness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:45 pm

cant really narrow it down but randomly when im selling things the game will display all of its files very quickly and then crash
also you are probably aware of how the shop kicks you out after you sell 6 or 7 things
Jazzumness
Somewhat familiar

Postby Benevorlent » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Neat game! One suggestion, and one bug report; having the inventory show your current gold count would be useful to see how much you had before going to the arena without needing to go to the shop's BUY section, and the bug is that the Strong Cow started eating my cow, and after the "only the feet remain" message the game crashed.
Benevorlent
Somewhat familiar

Postby MarkusFreeman320 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:19 am

"Consensual vore with your cow" - You had me at consensual, I'll be keeping an eye on this.
MarkusFreeman320
Participator

Location: Western Scotland (That's as much detail as you're getting)

Next

Return to Vore game