Cartovore2 on Windows 10: Help Requested

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Cartovore2 on Windows 10: Help Requested

Postby komaru » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Greetings!

I was looking to play Duamutef's Cartovore2 again to refresh me on just how some of the rules and such worked, to get an understanding of a few things for a personal project of my own. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to get it to run on Windows 10, I was curious if anyone else has had luck in this regard. The specific error I get, for those interested is that I don't have the "mswinsck.ocx" file, which, when I looked into downloading/re registering it, does not seem to work, and leads me to trying to install more OCX files that also don't want to re-register, which just lead me down a rabbit hole of nothing for about half an hour ;p

I would have simply bumped one of the other few Cartovore2/CVT2 threads, but none of them have been bumped in years, and I didn't want to be that person. Anyway, if anyone has anything to share on this, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Komaru!~
komaru
???

Re: Cartovore2 on Windows 10: Help Requested

Postby HS » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 am

I unfortunately haven't managed to get the game really working on Windows 7 either. There's a bunch of other errors that are the problem there. Keep in mind that the game was originally made for Win XP and older and hasn't been updated in over nine years, and crashed now and then even back in 2009, so it isn't really surprising that it's hard to get to work these days. I'll try later today if it works on VirtualBox running XP.
HS
Somewhat familiar

Postby komaru » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:29 am

I figured that might unfortunately be the case. Oh well, thanks for having a look!
komaru
???

Postby Katana70065 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:54 am

Sounds like someone will have to take the game and rebuild the code for Windows 10.
Katana70065
Been posting for a bit

Postby komaru » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:15 am

Unfortunately, I think the source code likely died with Duamutef :(

Which means that it would basically be building a whole new game. That's actually what I was planning to do, I was just hoping to kind of play a couple of games to try and jog my memory of how turns played out/how certain abilities worked, since I hadn't played it in well, almost 10 years I guess. I wouldn't get too excited though, I'm still very much in the brainstorming stage, so anything functional is still a long way off (given the amount of free time I usually have to work on such personal projects, probably still at least a year off, minimum.)
komaru
???

Postby HS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Sorry for the delay. I forgot to try the game out yesterday. But the good news is that the game works just fine on VirtualBox running Win XP.

If spending an hour or two to set the virtual system up isn't a problem, download VirtualBox from their site, get a semi legal XP installation image from here: https://softlay.net/operating-system/wi ... nload.html , and follow the instructions on the VB site to set the thing up. Fully free and not that hard to do. Just remember to disable the XP simulations network connection, that system can't handle any viruses anymore.

Just watch out for my poor writing there. I was barely fluent in English back then...
HS
Somewhat familiar

Postby komaru » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Aha, not to worry! Thanks for doing all of the testing on that. I might look into that on my next set of days off, anyway! I'm not too worried about writing or anything, I was just a little sketchy on how some abilities worked, and how turns played out, really. The card text files help a little bit, but (at least for me), playing out an actual game or two is a lot more helpful than just reading the raw text ;p
komaru
???

Postby Skeiron » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:22 pm

:-? Cartovore2 works fine on my Windows 10 machine.

I seem to remember there was a separate patch file you needed to download to get it to work, but this is a few years ago now... Just for certainty, you are trying Cartomancer Beta Version 2.14 ?
"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"Remember that life is better than it seems"
Skeiron
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby nnnddt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:11 pm

What i will say won't help you, but i downoalded it like three days ago and it worked just fine. I think you maybe don't have downloaded the last patch for the last build.
nnnddt
Somewhat familiar

Postby komaru » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Perhaps. I will double check that. Thanks for the assistance all!
komaru
???

Postby Salanth » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Another thing; the date setting on your computer must match dd-mm-yyyy format. (Or at least I believe that is the correct one.) I at least had had this issue where it wouldn't work properly if i ddin't have it set to a specific date format.
Salanth
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby nnnddt » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Now i saw these games, i tried to play to cartovore 1, but impossible. When i click on the .exe button, it just run in the background, but nothing on my screen. Someone have a solution ?
nnnddt
Somewhat familiar

Postby HS » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 am

nnnddt wrote:Now i saw these games, i tried to play to cartovore 1, but impossible. When i click on the .exe button, it just run in the background, but nothing on my screen. Someone have a solution ?

I've never even tried Cartovore 1, I believe all the content on it was ported over to Cartovore 2 along with new stuff. If you want to play it though, I assume that running a virtual machine with either Windows XP or Windows 98 will be neccessary. It is an even older game than Cartovore 2 after all.
HS
Somewhat familiar

Postby nnnddt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Ok ^^ But from files of cartovore 1 I saw, there's plenty of cards who aren't in cartovore 2. From what i read, Cartovore 2 is more an upgrade of gameplay.
nnnddt
Somewhat familiar

Postby HS » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:20 pm

nnnddt wrote:Ok ^^ But from files of cartovore 1 I saw, there's plenty of cards who aren't in cartovore 2. From what i read, Cartovore 2 is more an upgrade of gameplay.

Well, i had to take and try the game to see myself. The game works just fine on the XP virtual system, and is actually quite a bit different from Cartovore 2. Due to that, I don't think any cards could have been ported between the games. I must have misunderstood what Duamutef mean't back then, or just remember wrong. It's been ten years, after all. Anyway, I guess the game is worth trying out, if only to see another approach to a vore card game. CV2 is by far the better one though, in many ways.
HS
Somewhat familiar

Postby forumlurker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 pm

I can't get the virtual machine to run myself. Anyone got a better guide? I must have done something wrong but I suck at technical stuff.
forumlurker
Intermediate Vorarephile

Cartovore 2 problem

Postby SuperPelmeN20 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:33 pm

Hello everyone, when i buy my starter deck and try to exit card shop error pops out, it says run type error 13, type mismath"
What should i do? Maybe there is updated version somewhere?
SuperPelmeN20
New to the forum

Re: Cartovore 2 problem

Postby taylorgodiva » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:40 pm

SuperPelmeN20 wrote:Hello everyone, when i buy my starter deck and try to exit card shop error pops out, it says run type error 13, type mismath"
What should i do? Maybe there is updated version somewhere?

ohh, i'm having this problem too, it makes me feel very uncomfortable. I need contact information who can assist me!
Vampire Survivors
taylorgodiva
New to the forum

Postby CommanderStar78 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:53 am

where are yall getting your copy of carovore2?
CommanderStar78
New to the forum

Postby SuperPelmeN20 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 am

SuperPelmeN20
New to the forum

Return to Vore game