Building python text game engine

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Building python text game engine

Postby NovaBlair » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Seeing if people would be interested. Basically a text adventure game, but with slot of content, may take awhile and I'm prefering to do more story then fancy graphics, basic ui and interactive map. Unsure if to add fight mechanics or not
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Re: Building python text game engine

Postby Tebomas » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi! I'm curious to know if it's similar to interactive stories here? Or what did you have in mind (I mean you mention a map, but perhaps some details of the story are randomized), or is it more along the lines of the RPG-Maker Games?

(Even though it adds nothing: I recently started getting into python. Glad to see these things find applications even in this area.)
Tebomas
Somewhat familiar

Postby unit72 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Why python? What engine do you want to use? Will it be just when you pick a choice, roguelike or something more elaborated?
unit72
Been posting for a bit

Postby NovaBlair » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Tebomas wrote:Hi! I'm curious to know if it's similar to interactive stories here? Or what did you have in mind (I mean you mention a map, but perhaps some details of the story are randomized), or is it more along the lines of the RPG-Maker Games?

(Even though it adds nothing: I recently started getting into python. Glad to see these things find applications even in this area.)

I have scrapped the map for now as it's overly complicated for me at this point. To clarify, it's a console with a fancy gui. Underneath is 8 buttons corresponding to letters on keyboard. It's not just a choose a path as you can move from room to room, engaging in conversation with scripted characters would be easy to make. And large outdoor world's are possible. For the game itself I plan for some sort of space travel thing where traveling to other planets is a small part of the game. The large part would be solving a mystery involving a galactic goose chase. and interacting with characters, some I plan could join the crew of a ship you own.

Fighting could be more strategy and planning, then real grinding. Like instead of fighting, to escape danger a shield is used that needs to be both recharged, but also customised to meet the planets/(what else is there)'s environment. To many games that have 98 percent just battles. And not enough novelty gameplay.

But I post it here so the community could use it for their own projects, tho need basic understanding of python, I can provide reasorces to quickly understand and implement your ideas
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Postby NovaBlair » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:02 am

i have currently implemented gui, buttons, and made the engine, just need to test bugs and add a file read/save as to make saving progress a thing
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Postby NovaBlair » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 am

made a working version with a 5 minute story i made to test bugs
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Postby NovaBlair » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 am

i have completed the save and load save parts. might try and add maps. and the possibility to use mouse to press buttons. but besides from that, i have no idea of story to make, any suggestions would be great
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Postby NovaBlair » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:38 am

finished making buttons usable with mouse, im putting the project to quits as i dont have an idea, if people comment that they want the game code or ideas for a story i might continue
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Postby mrvoice » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm

In terms of story it all depends what you feel comfortable with, fantasy is always an easy one, lots of enemy variety and the plot doesn’t have to make much sense as people tune in for the Vore. Could be about a an ancient prophecy about someone in a village chosen to stop eh let’s say demons and then it’s just point A to B with vorish shenanigans in between. big bad is a super sexy demon at the end, don’t even have to mention it much. every village in between has shops and basic quests etc, help me find my shovel, digest 10 bandits, there’s treasure in that cave nobodies returned from all the good stuff and then just throw in some baddies.

Sorry for the long post I hope this helps, it would be a shame to see so much effort go to waste with what sounds like some good coding.
mrvoice
Been posting for a bit

Postby NovaBlair » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:21 am

mrvoice wrote:In terms of story it all depends what you feel comfortable with, fantasy is always an easy one, lots of enemy variety and the plot doesn’t have to make much sense as people tune in for the Vore. Could be about a an ancient prophecy about someone in a village chosen to stop eh let’s say demons and then it’s just point A to B with vorish shenanigans in between. big bad is a super sexy demon at the end, don’t even have to mention it much. every village in between has shops and basic quests etc, help me find my shovel, digest 10 bandits, there’s treasure in that cave nobodies returned from all the good stuff and then just throw in some baddies.

Sorry for the long post I hope this helps, it would be a shame to see so much effort go to waste with what sounds like some good coding.

its good, its relieving to know people are interested, you make good points, but yea im unsure of what people would want, probably should start a poll and go for there
NovaBlair
Been posting for a bit

Return to Vore game