Godot engine

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Godot engine

Postby MirceaKitsune » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:47 am

I'm curious if any game developers in the vore community have taken an interest in the Godot game engine so far. For those who aren't familiar: It's a GE similar to Unity or Unreal Engine, but FOSS and basically the Blender 3D of game engines. I am asking because it's what I plan to work with myself, and as a big fan of open-source I'm intrigued to know if there's any content to look forward to.

https://godotengine.org
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Re: Godot engine

Postby Jswrighting » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:49 am

Yeah I was actually making a clone of/similar game to Barbftr using Godot at one point. I stopped working on it a while ago, but I think it would be a good candidate for a game like that due to the ability to do mod support pretty easy in Godot.
-------------
W O O
-------------
Jswrighting
Somewhat familiar

Postby ImaginaryZ » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm

TL;DR

Use Godot. Be warned some easy stuff is really hard (asset importing)

Details:

I've been working with GODOT for a while now, I'm really liking what it can do. It makes the hard stuff easy, and the easy stuff hard (Its oddly difficult to setup something basic like "add a sprite")
The attractive option is that you can export easily to a .apk so you can make phone/tablet apps;
I've made exporters for blender and importers for godot, so creating a custom toolchain for vore specifc applications totally works;
You have to design your own paging system for infinite worlds / wrapped worlds but its not bad.
You can dynamically load / save resources with some restrictions on mobile platforms (make sure all names_are_lowercase kinda thing)
I've had to do a few fixes here and there with their exporting of animated meshes but their updated exporter is doing OK; it has an issue with named actions for whatever reason; So be warned sometimes the easy things take some tinkering.
I've done some 2D projects but ultimately end up making them all 3D so I can take advantage of all the features rather than letting godot restrict me, it handles 2D platforming games in 3D pretty dern good and its easy to construct things.
Since all the resources can be .tres aka Text resources, you can also make scripts to generate/assemble resources into a game for better pipelining (especially since "MeshLibrary" is a bit wonky)

A few irritations are I cant select a surface for visibility on a mesh (annoying it doesnt have a easy way to handle that, I end up either replacing with index from a MeshLibrary or abusing a GridMap both incur a performance cost)
Writing your scene manager/transition manager is the most painful. you can use threads to load so thats fantastic;
Be careful about where you change/update things, and learing that a "Scene" actually is the core game object type so you can be incredibly smart with how you setup a base scene, inheriting it and making very reusable solid components is amazing. Such a refreshing way to make games imo.

Again, the hardest part is getting assets into godot, so expect that to be super painful. If you have questions PM me, I'm still getting used to it but I think a simple expandable/moddable game would be a great thing to have (once blender's 2D grease pencil actually works right with fills, we'll be in buisness!)

Best of luck!
Loving-Ultra-Cuddle-Soft-Vore aficionado;
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
Nothing worth doing is easy!
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 pm

ImaginaryZ wrote:TL;DR

Use Godot. Be warned some easy stuff is really hard (asset importing)

Details:

I've been working with GODOT for a while now, I'm really liking what it can do. It makes the hard stuff easy, and the easy stuff hard (Its oddly difficult to setup something basic like "add a sprite")
The attractive option is that you can export easily to a .apk so you can make phone/tablet apps;
I've made exporters for blender and importers for godot, so creating a custom toolchain for vore specifc applications totally works;
You have to design your own paging system for infinite worlds / wrapped worlds but its not bad.
You can dynamically load / save resources with some restrictions on mobile platforms (make sure all names_are_lowercase kinda thing)
I've had to do a few fixes here and there with their exporting of animated meshes but their updated exporter is doing OK; it has an issue with named actions for whatever reason; So be warned sometimes the easy things take some tinkering.
I've done some 2D projects but ultimately end up making them all 3D so I can take advantage of all the features rather than letting godot restrict me, it handles 2D platforming games in 3D pretty dern good and its easy to construct things.
Since all the resources can be .tres aka Text resources, you can also make scripts to generate/assemble resources into a game for better pipelining (especially since "MeshLibrary" is a bit wonky)

A few irritations are I cant select a surface for visibility on a mesh (annoying it doesnt have a easy way to handle that, I end up either replacing with index from a MeshLibrary or abusing a GridMap both incur a performance cost)
Writing your scene manager/transition manager is the most painful. you can use threads to load so thats fantastic;
Be careful about where you change/update things, and learing that a "Scene" actually is the core game object type so you can be incredibly smart with how you setup a base scene, inheriting it and making very reusable solid components is amazing. Such a refreshing way to make games imo.

Again, the hardest part is getting assets into godot, so expect that to be super painful. If you have questions PM me, I'm still getting used to it but I think a simple expandable/moddable game would be a great thing to have (once blender's 2D grease pencil actually works right with fills, we'll be in buisness!)

Best of luck!

As someone who's new to the engine myself and in the process of learning it, that's all very good to know about. Thanks for sharing this info!

It's also great to hear you're looking into it. I tried your game projects from roughly a decade ago, and although simple they looked promising. It would be a pleasure to see what you might do with Godot especially in terms of 3D :D
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby sweetladyamy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:52 pm

I wanted to try it, but not on this lackluster hardware (OpenGL is super outdated and at max upgrade level for the hardware I have).

Still, I was fascinated by the engine.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby Bumfuzzle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:54 pm

I've been experimenting with Godot on and off for about a year now, after switching from Unity.

The godot features page gives a pretty good idea of what to expect
https://godotengine.org/features

while their design philosophy highlights the decisions they made and why
https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/get ... sophy.html

To me the things to point out are the scene/node based architecture and the scripting language

It took some getting used to, but I love the scene architecture - it's far more flexible and scaleable that Unity's prefab system
The scripting language was custom built for Godot - you can read about the history of that decision here https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/get ... asics.html

The language was easy to pick up, and allows for very fast coding and iteration when making games. Much faster to code in GDscript than Unity's C#.

It does have its issues, perhaps the most important being that the 3D engine is fantastic, with full PBR support. But the actual 3D workflow needs some work
I've been doing 2d development, so I can't really speak for it only go by what I've seen and heard from youtube and forums and the like
At the moment godot seems to be a fully featured 2D game engine, the 3D isn't quite there yet

Personally I've found that if you are willing to put in a little extra work, godot has the tools you need to make whatever you want

Anyways, I hope this helped. Nice to know I'm not the only vore developer using Godot
Bumfuzzle
New to the forum

Return to Vore game