Project: G.L.U.T.T. v0.7.0 ALPHA - A 2D Vore Platformer

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: 2D Vore Platformer ALPHA v0.2.0 (Updated 11/28)

Postby DraconicSyntax » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:17 pm

EngilbertSig3 wrote:...Idk how many more levels are planned and although this suggestion might be obvious I'd still suggest making enemies substantially harder with every level you complete: Makes the game more dynamic and challenging the longer you venture into it.

That's the plan - this next update I'm hoping to evolve the gameplay a bit with a few different things first though, which should hopefully give the game and its difficulty a lot more depth. I want to put a more dramatic focus on the difference in gameplay when you're empty vs carrying prey - while empty you are faster, more agile, quieter, and do less damage/take more damage, but while full you are much louder, have much more tank-like defense, and more damage through damaging abilities. The addition of momentum should also help sell that a lot and change how playing both ways feels, and this way I shouldn't have to rely on ever increasing enemy complexity at least in every scenario to keep the challenge present.

EngilbertSig3 wrote: ...the digestion was so insanely quick that I died in like 3-4 seconds. I couldn't even see the regurgitation animation, but thankfully now that's fixed. It was waaaayyyyy too overpowered.
To conclude this section: I don't think you're supposed to be able to swallow the dragon thing, but it'd be really cool if that'd be possible sometime in the future if you're up to that task. If you're planning to include that Dragon thing in multiple levels of the game, maybe you could have the player be able to swallow it in some of the later levels of the game, maybe as an upgrade you stumble upon by roaming around (similar to the stamina upgrades). But if it's supposed to be 100% unswallowable then ignore everything I suggested.

Yeah, the super speed digestion was a bug! One of the last bugs I was fixing was how the digestion animation would loop incorrectly, so I'd turned up the speed to help while testing that and forgot to change it back before building. I think the minimum damage you take now assuming you struggle constantly and right away is 18.
The point of the blind drake was really supposed to sell the danger other predatory enemies pose, and have the player not be the only one with such a strong ability. It'll be a recurring enemy too (though not incredibly frequent), and yes the plan is eventually that you'll be able to eat them too, though not for a while yet. Currently I'm thinking that rather than have increased prey capacity be discoverable powerups (or at least entirely), it will instead be something you can "level up" simply by eating enough regular enemies.

EngilbertSig3 wrote:So this is my question:
You mentioned you were planning on reworking the player sprites for the next update of this game, does that mean you'll also be reworking some of the belly sprites for the next update? The fact that you mentioned that you'll be reworking the player sprites made me curious if that's a goal for the next update or not. Sorry if I feel like a broken record always asking the same question again and again. As you might have guessed, this is an update I take the utmost interest in for the future of this game.

Yes I will be! Since redoing the player sprites means remaking every single sprite, it's definitely something that I'll be working on. I am still somewhat limited by the 128x128 box so the bellies might still be slightly smaller than you'd expect, but I'd like them to still be fairly believable. I have also found some workarounds to the sprite size limits I'll be able to use, so that should help.

EngilbertSig3 wrote: ...After I did that, I got stuck in the jumping/falling animation and that laser sound that plays when you touch the laser played infinitely. This bug forced me to restart the game and start from scratch. Not a big bug, but a bothersome bug to say the least.

That part of the level was built intentionally at the start when I was more strapped for ideas on level design - my original thought was that having partially hanging lasers would make a challenge for timing your fall to the next platform down. However, considering there's no fall damage and you can fall straight through the whole thing anyway (and the fact that it just looked bad and incorrect to have hanging lasers), I'll be scrapping that area of the map. There are already a couple other ways to get to the blue button including hidden vents, which should hopefully see more use now that crawl spaces are a thing.

EngilbertSig3 wrote: Only other thing I wanted to talk about was if humanoid pred enemies would be coming to this game and I see you've already answered that question and I'm happy with the answer. Oh yeah also it'd be nice to have a name for each of the enemies so one doesn't have to refer to them as "thingys".

Thanks for making this game,
EngilbertSig3.

Yep, not this coming update (v0.3) since I probably won't be adding new enemies in that one, but likely v0.4 or v0.5. The next alien I'm planning a lamia-like enemy, and eventually the stronger crew will have the ability as well.
I also updated the main post with a list of names to reference the current enemies by now (Sentry, dasher, missile robot, and alien/blind drake).
Glad you're enjoying the game!

disguy wrote:
carlj wrote:Very good update, however in the second level there's a part that i feel was very poorly designed. After you drop down from one of several holes you end up in a long corridor with endless barrage of missiles coming your way, the second one with an alternating pattern is not so bad, but the first one i find impossible to dodge the missiles. I think you are supposed to jump between them but no matter how many times i tried i couldn't avoid getting hit, so my strategy in the end was just run for it, using the invincibility frame to get past some of the missiles. It's either that the hit boxes of the missiles are too big or the character hit boxes are too big, either way that first corridor is absolute bullshit.

Oh yeah, I almost thought the same thing, but turns out you can actually crawl under the missiles all the way through, which was presumably the intended way to get through that section. Emphasis on "crawling", not crouching, since you'll still get hit by them if you sit in place, so kind of have to get into a pattern of alternating between running and crawling as you move through the corridor.

Yes, crawling under the missiles is the way to go! There is a decent window for jumping between them too, but learning the timing of it is hard imo.
On a related note, I'm also aiming to make it so you can more easily stay in the crawling position once you start crawling to make it easier to dodge things low to the ground. Additionally through later upgrades, swallowing larger projectiles like the wall-fired missiles will be possible.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Re: 2D Vore Platformer ALPHA v0.2.1 (Updated 11/28)

Postby Nomad_Zeke » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 am

Apparently the game gets angry if you time a grab on the dashing enemy...

of Step Event0
for object obj_en2_afterimage:

Unable to find instance for object index 101728
at gml_Object_obj_en2_afterimage_Step_0
############################################################################################
gml_Object_obj_en2_afterimage_Step_0 (line -1)
Looking for RP:
http://aryion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 68#p419268

Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.
Nomad_Zeke
Participator

Postby VirtuosoViking » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:58 am

I saw lamia enemy talked about. I am more excited for future updates now.
Anyway, just played through the update and it's still pretty fun. Don't really think there's much more feedback I could offer that wasn't already mentioned. Oh, I think I did find a bug. I haven't been able to do it again, but when I was struggling to get out of the dragon's gut, I held the movement buttons that time, and it glitched to where it looped the struggle animation and softlocked my game.
Now to personal comments, so far the game is looking really nice. Everything seems pretty balanced, if not more to your favor. For the enemy predators, perhaps if they manage to digest you, maybe they could do what Samus does when she finishes auto digesting and burp up some parts of her. Like her pistol or zero suit.
And I apologize if this was mentioned already, but were there any plans to have different being eaten animations with prey in your stomach?
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby EddyS » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:51 am

DraconicSyntax wrote:
EngilbertSig3 wrote:So this is my question:
You mentioned you were planning on reworking the player sprites for the next update of this game, does that mean you'll also be reworking some of the belly sprites for the next update? The fact that you mentioned that you'll be reworking the player sprites made me curious if that's a goal for the next update or not. Sorry if I feel like a broken record always asking the same question again and again. As you might have guessed, this is an update I take the utmost interest in for the future of this game.

Yes I will be! Since redoing the player sprites means remaking every single sprite, it's definitely something that I'll be working on. I am still somewhat limited by the 128x128 box so the bellies might still be slightly smaller than you'd expect, but I'd like them to still be fairly believable. I have also found some workarounds to the sprite size limits I'll be able to use, so that should help.

Man am I happy to read that! That means that it'll probably be a while until the next big update comes out, but I'm content with waiting a while for this update. I hope you can find some way to bypass the 128x128 limit to make the bellies as close to same-size as possible. I'm really looking forward to seeing the updated player sprites.

To end this segment I'll give you some size estimates for the prey bellies. They're different for everyone, but for me I'd say that the 1 prey belly should be down to Samus' knees (or slightly lower than her knees) and the 2 prey belly should be slightly above her feet. As to how big & large they are, I'll let you be the judge of that.

DraconicSyntax wrote:
EngilbertSig3 wrote: Only other thing I wanted to talk about was if humanoid pred enemies would be coming to this game and I see you've already answered that question and I'm happy with the answer. Oh yeah also it'd be nice to have a name for each of the enemies so one doesn't have to refer to them as "thingys".

Thanks for making this game,
EngilbertSig3.

Yep, not this coming update (v0.3) since I probably won't be adding new enemies in that one, but likely v0.4 or v0.5. The next alien I'm planning a lamia-like enemy, and eventually the stronger crew will have the ability as well.
I also updated the main post with a list of names to reference the current enemies by now (Sentry, dasher, missile robot, and alien/blind drake).
Glad you're enjoying the game!

I'm not a big fan of lamias, but I'm not that against them either. I'm just hoping for someone very similar in design to Samus/Dasher/Sentry as a pred enemy. Hopefully someday that kind of enemy will come out.

Also forgot to mention; when these pred enemies swallow the player and the player already has prey in their belly, that means that the preds have to get a bigger belly as well, right? Pretty much goes without saying. Maybe not in their first release, just after their released and you found the time to put the extra effort in (i.e. if you want to have that as a feature).

Once again, thank you for making this game. Good luck updating the player sprites.
EddyS
Somewhat familiar

Postby disguy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 am

DraconicSyntax wrote:Yes, crawling under the missiles is the way to go! There is a decent window for jumping between them too, but learning the timing of it is hard imo.
On a related note, I'm also aiming to make it so you can more easily stay in the crawling position once you start crawling to make it easier to dodge things low to the ground. Additionally through later upgrades, swallowing larger projectiles like the wall-fired missiles will be possible.

Ah okay, noted! I also assumed that jumping over the missiles was indeed an option considering their alternating pattern, but the electric ceiling on the later half made me assume that crawling was much more intended from that point onwards.

Honestly, dodging through crawling already felt relatively smooth and reliable in its current state, so nice to hear it'll still be improved upon anyway! Likewise, just straight-up eating missiles certainly means one additional way to "avoid" the projectile so I'm all for an update like that~
◕‿◕ bup
disguy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Tsuuuruya » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:49 pm

This new update's looking pretty cool!
The dashing enemies are a little bit annoying if they see you before you can get the drop on them, but it's a fine inclusion nonetheless!

The alien dragon seems pretty good too, although I found a potential bug when I got eaten a second time.
Apparently, you can continue struggling for as long as you want, still losing health up until a certain point, and the player being released doesn't override the struggling.
I noticed this when I kept continuously struggling for a while and only got released the moment I stopped pressing any buttons.

I'm still very happy that this game is still under development, you've been doing great work!
I had a few questions and suggestions, mainly about humanoid and crew enemies doing same-size vore and stuff like that, but I saw you answered something like it already, so I won't pester ya with 'em.

Either way, this game is looking awesome and I'm so glad you're sharing your wonderful work with us!

Keep up the good work, Syntax-san!
Tsuuuruya
New to the forum

Postby DraconicSyntax » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Nomad_Zeke wrote:Apparently the game gets angry if you time a grab on the dashing enemy...

of Step Event0

############################################################################################

That's a hell of a bug, gotta be frame perfect to get that one xD I've added a preventative though which should keep that from happening any more, it'll be out with the next update!

VirtuosoViking wrote:I saw lamia enemy talked about. I am more excited for future updates now.
Anyway, just played through the update and it's still pretty fun. Don't really think there's much more feedback I could offer that wasn't already mentioned. Oh, I think I did find a bug. I haven't been able to do it again, but when I was struggling to get out of the dragon's gut, I held the movement buttons that time, and it glitched to where it looped the struggle animation and softlocked my game.
Now to personal comments, so far the game is looking really nice. Everything seems pretty balanced, if not more to your favor. For the enemy predators, perhaps if they manage to digest you, maybe they could do what Samus does when she finishes auto digesting and burp up some parts of her. Like her pistol or zero suit.
And I apologize if this was mentioned already, but were there any plans to have different being eaten animations with prey in your stomach?

I did find a bug where holding multiple struggle directions at once would cause the soft lock struggle loop - working on patching it, I assume that was the cause of your bug! It's a bit stubborn though, I've gotten it so that it now only happens if you hold down 3 or more keys at once to struggle, but can't get it to completely stop - I'll play around with it more and see what I can come up with.
Burping up items is a good idea, another thing I'll try and add as I improve the animations in general! The (at least slightly) different animations for being eaten are also planned, I mainly didn't include them this update as I knew I'd just be reworking them right away since I'm doing all the player animations over again.

EngilbertSig3 wrote:Man am I happy to read that! That means that it'll probably be a while until the next big update comes out, but I'm content with waiting a while for this update. I hope you can find some way to bypass the 128x128 limit to make the bellies as close to same-size as possible. I'm really looking forward to seeing the updated player sprites.

The main issue with breaking the 128 size limit is that it will require adjusting collision boxes and anchor points for a lot of stuff. However, 128 is still a pretty decent size - the main issue with not having space prior was due to I basically only had half that for belly space, as the player stood at the center of the 128 square. Fortunately, I found I can move the anchor points just for specific sprites and the collision box will travel with it as it should, effectively allowing me to actually use the entire 128x128 box (assuming I don't later run into unforeseen issues).

EngilbertSig3 wrote:To end this segment I'll give you some size estimates for the prey bellies. They're different for everyone, but for me I'd say that the 1 prey belly should be down to Samus' knees (or slightly lower than her knees) and the 2 prey belly should be slightly above her feet. As to how big & large they are, I'll let you be the judge of that.

Way ahead of you!

EngilbertSig3 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of lamias, but I'm not that against them either. I'm just hoping for someone very similar in design to Samus/Dasher/Sentry as a pred enemy. Hopefully someday that kind of enemy will come out.

Also forgot to mention; when these pred enemies swallow the player and the player already has prey in their belly, that means that the preds have to get a bigger belly as well, right? Pretty much goes without saying. Maybe not in their first release, just after their released and you found the time to put the extra effort in (i.e. if you want to have that as a feature).

Once again, thank you for making this game. Good luck updating the player sprites.

Like I said, there will eventually be preds among the station crew enemies, so worry not :wink:
As for larger sizes, it'd be something I'd like to do, but again will rely heavily on available time.

Tsuuuruya wrote:The alien dragon seems pretty good too, although I found a potential bug when I got eaten a second time.
Apparently, you can continue struggling for as long as you want, still losing health, and the player being released doesn't override the struggling.
I noticed this when I kept continuously struggling for a while and only got released the moment I stopped pressing any buttons.

I'm still very happy that this game is still under development, you've been doing great work!
I had a few questions and suggestions, mainly about humanoid and crew enemies doing same-size vore and stuff like that, but I saw you answered something like it already, so I won't pester ya with 'em.

Either way, this game is looking awesome and I'm so glad you're sharing your wonderful work with us!

Keep up the good work, Syntax-san!

Yes, being regurgitated by the drake is overridden by struggling, so you can potentially stay in there forever so long as you don't stop struggling. However, you should stop losing health at the point where you're able to be regurgitated, so if you're still losing health at that point then it's a bug :silly: I'd originally decided to leave this in as a feature in case people wanted to enjoy struggling more without having to be re-eaten and losing more health.
Thanks though, glad you're liking it otherwise!
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Uhhgggg....I'm still writing my thoughts down but house work keeps on popping up...ah well so far so good man!
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:43 am

also:
Nomad_Zeke wrote:___________________________________________
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

I think I got the same thing too:
of Step Event0

Unable to find instance for object index 119891

And I think I know how to replicate it as well.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby Turbotowns » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:23 am

Forgot about this game for a YEAR, and now it has a playable demo?! Let's go boys and girls! *downloads*
Turbotowns
???

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:26 pm

WELP, IM DONE! *collapse onto keyboard*.... Ya I know big review but that because I thoroughly dissected the new stuff because I like it!

-The bone trick is still here! Yay!.....What? I find it stupidly funny even if it doesn't really doesn't do anything.
-Eating falling enemies is in! Thank you! (What about adding frames for eating enemies as they fall onto you later on? Like a 4 frame loop where Samus just has 2 frames of her reaching up and pulling down repeated once as the enemy model goes down roughly in fourths then leading into the swallowing animation.)
-The sound mechanic is pretty good idea for stealth and detection, I see many new ways it can influence map and enemy design.
-The new dash power is a nice addition and it opens up new moment options (Double jump then dash to cross large gaps and such.)
-That new rocket projectiles not only hurts you but stuns enemies if they hit them.

Dislikes:
-Disliked certain things about the new dasher enemy. Not the concept itself but more that it still feels a bit rough. (Though now I feel it's becuase most of them are in small hallways.)
-The new rockets share the same sound effect as the missiles which can be confusing if a missile bot is nearby and shooting at you. A lower pitch BOOM would be better.
-How loud the rocket hit sound is multiplied if they explode at the same time. The last rocket hall showed that in spades when there were 3 exploding at the same time.
-The action buttons probably should be reassigned, as they now are a bit troublesome to test out certain combinations repeatedly.

New Enemies:
-Drake-
-The drake is pretty good so far.
-Like that if you make no noise by crouching it will walk right past you without notice. On the other hand after it spots you, I wish you could lose it by staying out of reach and standing still where it will lose interest after a set amount of time unless you move again.
-The drake will camp the vent if it noticed you before hand and won't leave till it eats you. (A loses interest timer would help there.)
-The damage it does is fine but seems random because the struggle mechanics aren't really explained yet. (When do we start struggling the moment we're eaten? If other preds will be like this then maybe a prompt appears to let you know when to start mashing. Also knowing how much and which buttons to press would be helpful.)
-It's grab detection feels a wonky IMO I feel the head should only eat you on the way down, once it starts to go back up you should be able to pass through without being grabbed. You could also change the green lumps to another color signaling when its in it grabbing frames as well.
-Mashing buttons to escape can still soft lock you into the struggling animation loop and can't get out regardless. This happened twice, one where the damage stops and one where I lost all my health but the struggle loop kept going even after I stop pressing keys and I had no luck recreating consistently.
-If you want to enforce the blindness aspect then how about redesigning the head without eyes? Make it all scales or horns just to get the visual design across that it can't see.
-If it's suppose to be blind why does it home in on Samus after she shoots it from a sizeable distance away? What if when it's hit it will charge a certain amount toward the direction the shot came from eating anything that crosses it path before stopping? That will come in handy when you add enemies eating each other where you could shot it to eat some enemies in front of it.
-Same thing with chasing Samus after she escaped and is kneeling making no noise some distance away. Making only react to sound would be a cool way to have some great hide n seek moments being chased by it.

-Melee Dasher- *
-Dashers need a bit of fine tuning, I feel a few tweaks could make it more fun to approach if spotted. Though I do note most of them were in hallways so it was kind of hard to really test them.
-I think there should be a wind-up frame with a brief pause before they attack because after they spot you they will dash the moment they get close enough. Which is fine when on the same floor but if your jumping down they always charge when your about 1 background tile about the ground.
-If the auto digest animation starts when chased by one they will at least get in two hits if not more before you can move again. Having a delay buffer would help keep it at 2 hits only.
-Can you put a state were if she hits the wall it stops her for a bit? As is now if she hits a wall she 'bounces' off of it and attacks again with no delay making her constantly dashing you in small spaces. example: the top right area, the pit that's exited by vents, if she falls in there she'll bounce back n fourth till you stun her.

*My initial complaints came from testing dashers in the rocket hallways where jumping was limited but remembering the top right area had 1 with more open space I tested her out more thoroughly there and most of my issues disappeared. :oops: Though I did keep what I thought were still valid suggestions, I'll put what I found testing that one below.
-She has good range on her dash attack and without hit a wall she skids to a stop which looks good.
-Her 2 hit counter I find it interesting in that if you hit her once and dodge all attacks the second hit will stun her regardless but if she hits you at all it reset back to 2 hits. (But not if you've shot her once in the same hitting dash.)
-Like that you can dodge by playing a game of chicken to try and jump over her head to avoid the dash though I feel her attacking point should be a bit father away as it was a bit to hard to do it consistently by running. Sprinting I had no problem with but maybe considering moving her attack point a bit father back?
-Noticed that if you do jump over her how close you land to her will determine if she dashes ahead or if she turns around to hit you. If that wasn't intended pleases keep it in.
-I do like that she will both run and dash into laser walls and be fully stunned, maybe consider doubling the stun time if she dashes into it to make it a more risky but rewarding strategy? Ether way tricking them to dash into a laser wall then jumping over to eat them feels good every time.
-What if later on they have a charge up dash that's powerful and knocks you far back but you can stop it by simply holding devour and they charge directly into you stomach? (With half the knockback and no damage.)

New powers:
-Dash-
The dash power while easy to do and looks good I feel better if it was a button+direction key input. It kind of feels a bit short to me IMO, I used the background tiles to roughly measure the distance travelled by standing in the middle of a tile to test it. It looks like you travel about round 3-4 tiles ahead with the first 3 are safe while the 4rd tile is where invulnerable frames ends, I say 4-5 tiles would be the sweet spot for this powerup.
-Maybe you can dash through certain door or lasers later on?

Observations:
-When you start getting over 100 bullets the ones digit will be off screen till you back under 100. Might want to move the bullet counter a bit to the left.
-Pressing sprint while crawling will use stamina but Samus won't go faster. Is that supposed to work or not? Level 2 showed that having a faster crawl would be much appreciated.
-Having 5 noise levels is nice but I think doubling up to ten would be better for later on. (I don't remember what I did to get lvl 5 but somehow I did so I'm guessing there's 5 levels.)
-Noise detection or at least the level of noise you make need tweaking a bit but its not a big deal ATM because alpha.
-Weird that standing still makes noise along with falling, moving or not. You would think those 2 state wouldn't give off any sound at all. With prey I get but alone?
-Quickly learned that you can use the manual digestion to make enough noise to lure enemies to your spot which does give more 'stealth' options.
-I did find the vents in level 2 and while its nice to more hidden paths I'd call those crawlspaces.
-Now just noticing that the button stands still have their 'Z' prompt on them even after they have been pushed. Just a heads up.
-Indigestion happing in mid-jump tends to stop moment along with blocking any button input which tend to get annoying at times.
-I found 4 way getting through the rocket halls: Jumping over them, going under them, shooting them, and powering though, hello big belly perks! (and yes you can jump through all 4 floors, just need to learn how hard you press the jump button.
-Will we ever get a power up to knockout or even eat those wall cannons?
-Rocket hall is challenging but nice. Feels a bit to early for this lvl of challenge though as it come out of nowhere and the player up to that point had little experience with them.
-Thought I had found some no damage glitch with the waist high rockets but I was wrong. I was crawling while moving forward and shooting at the rockets and I noticed at certain times it appeared that the rockets would, when they flashed for damage, pass through Samus without damaging her. Looking over at what happened it's clear now that Samus's hitbox isn't really kneeling to shoot even though she's shooting. So not a glitch just the weird button commands that only worked with the rockets as with all other enemies I was hit while doing that command.

Suggestions:
-For map ideas why not have a stage that has a lot of wall lasers sectioning off space and enemies and the more lasers you turn off the more space they start to roam.
-Can you change the action buttons layout? Every so often I hit the windows key and the manual digest is assigned to the shift key when I testing something I'll get a alert for hitting the shift key 5 times in a row. The QWE and ASD keys would be a better layout.
-I feel manual digestion takes takes too long, it should feel more of a quick health panic option or a way to get back to a small faster form. Right after the gut punch it feels like it should end after that but many times I thought I was done only to see the belly return full because I stopped to early. The last 7 frames can be cut down to 3-4 to make it end faster.
-What about making certain platform jump through? The hidden room in lvl 2 is annoying because the small platforms can't be jumped up from beneath them and the gap is 1 tile wide.
-The last part of the rocket hall with the 4 cannon will hit Samus 9 times out of 10 when trying to pass, might want to change that to allow more space to the drop.
-Think about the new noise mechanic how about there's a noise cap that covers your own? Areas can local noise levels of their own and as long as you don't go over them enemies won't hear you BUT as you progress through the level and defeat enemies the cap gets lower. EX: A area with laser walls and stomping missile bots have a noise cap of 2, defeating the bots or turning off the wall reduce the level by 1, doing both with reduce it to 0.
-What happening to the indigestion icons? There were a few times when indigestion stopped me and I didn't realize till a second later.
-Although it was nice using the manual digestion to attract foes to me the fact that I need to have eaten someone to use it means on a empty stomach I had no way to alert a foe other then getting close to be spotted. How about giving a option to make some noise to do the same thing?
-Maybe we can control the indegerstion RNG with a button. Say you keyed a belly interact button, pressing once does a short animation but if you hold it down for 5 seconds it will do another one or give a sound cue that will disable indigestion for a set amount of time? (Is it possible to code multiple sets that are randomized?)
-Here's' a idea, what doing coping early DOOM with the head health bar but for your stomach using what you've already made?
Fine/empty-------bored face
Fine/full----------happy face
indigestion/full--frowning face

BUGS:
-A bug that I could only replicate with the sentries in that if they follow you to a low wall, you jump up and they try to jump after but can't reach and they keep jumping. If you fall down onto the same spot they're in they'll teleport up and fall onto you repeatedly till you move or stun them.
-Somehow lost a enemy when I was stabbed mid-air by a sentry, couldn't replicate it again.
-Was hit while had indigestion in the burping frames part and lost a enemy.

I noticed I wasn't throwing up any enemies anytime I was hit with indigestion though I still lost them from my belly.
-Pressing shift on indigestion animations cause them to replay and repeat.

Nice to see all the new stuff in the version and that we have a new update as well.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:59 am

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:WELP, IM DONE! *collapse onto keyboard*.... Ya I know big review but that because I thoroughly dissected the new stuff because I like it!

-The bone trick is still here! Yay!.....What? I find it stupidly funny even if it doesn't really doesn't do anything.
-Eating falling enemies is in! Thank you! (What about adding frames for eating enemies as they fall onto you later on? Like a 4 frame loop where Samus just has 2 frames of her reaching up and pulling down repeated once as the enemy model goes down roughly in fourths then leading into the swallowing animation.)
-The sound mechanic is pretty good idea for stealth and detection, I see many new ways it can influence map and enemy design.
-The new dash power is a nice addition and it opens up new moment options (Double jump then dash to cross large gaps and such.)
-That new rocket projectiles not only hurts you but stuns enemies if they hit them.

- Yes, bone was actually an intentional thing from the start! There was no good way to have attacks interrupt the digest end animation without it breaking a lot of stuff, so the addition of the bone was to give you a bit of reprieve from enemies that may be giving you a beatdown while you're just tryna finish a meal.
- I didn't even know I'd added eating falling enemies honestly till I remembered it was due to how I changed the vore system! Yes though, alternate animations are planned for eating falling enemies, but not sure how soon they'll see the light of day.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Dislikes:
-Disliked certain things about the new dasher enemy. Not the concept itself but more that it still feels a bit rough. (Though now I feel it's becuase most of them are in small hallways.)
-The new rockets share the same sound effect as the missiles which can be confusing if a missile bot is nearby and shooting at you. A lower pitch BOOM would be better.
-How loud the rocket hit sound is multiplied if they explode at the same time. The last rocket hall showed that in spades when there were 3 exploding at the same time.
-The action buttons probably should be reassigned, as they now are a bit troublesome to test out certain combinations repeatedly.

- The dasher feels rough to me as well, it could use polishing - initially my plan was to have a much more horizontally focused level to compliment enemies that were fast and used dash attacks, but I think I forgot that narrow hallways also removed the player's ability to adequately move around them, at least for a first encounter and especially without the dash yet.
- New sfx were planned for those and will happen soon, I was mostly leaning on existing sounds as placeholders to be able to get the update out sooner.
- This is also an issue I was aware of, however am not certain on how to fix - this is just inherent in multiple entities triggering the same sound at the same time, and the best option I have currently is to create a check to only play the sound if it's not already playing. This presents an issue for ones that shoot slightly after the first one shoots, as they will then have no sound, and could also just not work at all since most of the sounds ARE still triggered at the exact same time, so the engine might not be happy with that. Hopefully though the new sounds I make will be lower in frequency and not quite so offensive at the increased volumes when played multiple times.
- I'll get to the control scheme!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:New Enemies:
-Drake-
-The drake is pretty good so far.
-Like that if you make no noise by crouching it will walk right past you without notice. On the other hand after it spots you, I wish you could lose it by staying out of reach and standing still where it will lose interest after a set amount of time unless you move again.
-The drake will camp the vent if it noticed you before hand and won't leave till it eats you. (A loses interest timer would help there.)
-The damage it does is fine but seems random because the struggle mechanics aren't really explained yet. (When do we start struggling the moment we're eaten? If other preds will be like this then maybe a prompt appears to let you know when to start mashing. Also knowing how much and which buttons to press would be helpful.)
-It's grab detection feels a wonky IMO I feel the head should only eat you on the way down, once it starts to go back up you should be able to pass through without being grabbed. You could also change the green lumps to another color signaling when its in it grabbing frames as well.
-Mashing buttons to escape can still soft lock you into the struggling animation loop and can't get out regardless. This happened twice, one where the damage stops and one where I lost all my health but the struggle loop kept going even after I stop pressing keys and I had no luck recreating consistently.
-If you want to enforce the blindness aspect then how about redesigning the head without eyes? Make it all scales or horns just to get the visual design across that it can't see.
-If it's suppose to be blind why does it home in on Samus after she shoots it from a sizeable distance away? What if when it's hit it will charge a certain amount toward the direction the shot came from eating anything that crosses it path before stopping? That will come in handy when you add enemies eating each other where you could shot it to eat some enemies in front of it.
-Same thing with chasing Samus after she escaped and is kneeling making no noise some distance away. Making only react to sound would be a cool way to have some great hide n seek moments being chased by it.

- An interest loss timer is a great idea, I'll have it in as soon as I'm able.
- The struggle mechanics are actually super straightforward - every time you struggle it adds to a counter, once that counter hits it's maximum, you're regurgitated. You can start struggling as soon as you're pressing directional keys and you see a struggle happen as a result! Until the struggle counter is maxed you'll take damage over time, but once it is you can keep struggling (really just for fun) and you shouldn't take any further damage. Regurgitation will happen as soon as you stop struggling.
- This is just due to how hitboxes work currently and attacking variables being based off animations right now - I plan to rework this as soon as I'm able, but again can't be sure just how soon that will be.
- This struggle bug I've been made aware of from other people running into the issue, and have been working on patching it, but it's a real head-scratcher of a bug tbh. It will only happen when two or more struggle buttons are held at once - there's what seems to be an obvious cause, which I added a check to prevent, HOWEVER while you can now hold down 2 directions at once without getting soft locked, holding 3 or more will still cause it, and I have no idea why.
- That was my original intention to enforce the blindness, not having eyes - however it looked odd with nothing whatsoever there, and it was an absolute PAIN to animate at the size that it is already so adding more complex detail in place of eyes was also out. It's another thing I'll have to look into at a later time when I can spare the effort.
- The drake has a rather sizeable chase range, and if shot while inside the chase range, will home in on the player. Being shot outside of it will not cause it to pursue however (though it's usually offscreen at this point anyway - I do plan to add a way to look further than the default boundaries at some point). I do like the idea of using it to bait them into eating crew though, it'll be something I'll probably add when I'm working on their behavior with interactions.
- That would simply be a matter of coding more advanced reaction to sound - something I'd like to do but yet again, am not sure when I'll be able!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-Melee Dasher- *
-Dashers need a bit of fine tuning, I feel a few tweaks could make it more fun to approach if spotted. Though I do note most of them were in hallways so it was kind of hard to really test them.
-I think there should be a wind-up frame with a brief pause before they attack because after they spot you they will dash the moment they get close enough. Which is fine when on the same floor but if your jumping down they always charge when your about 1 background tile about the ground.
-If the auto digest animation starts when chased by one they will at least get in two hits if not more before you can move again. Having a delay buffer would help keep it at 2 hits only.
-Can you put a state were if she hits the wall it stops her for a bit? As is now if she hits a wall she 'bounces' off of it and attacks again with no delay making her constantly dashing you in small spaces. example: the top right area, the pit that's exited by vents, if she falls in there she'll bounce back n fourth till you stun her.

*My initial complaints came from testing dashers in the rocket hallways where jumping was limited but remembering the top right area had 1 with more open space I tested her out more thoroughly there and most of my issues disappeared. :oops: Though I did keep what I thought were still valid suggestions, I'll put what I found testing that one below.
-She has good range on her dash attack and without hit a wall she skids to a stop which looks good.
-Her 2 hit counter I find it interesting in that if you hit her once and dodge all attacks the second hit will stun her regardless but if she hits you at all it reset back to 2 hits. (But not if you've shot her once in the same hitting dash.)
-Like that you can dodge by playing a game of chicken to try and jump over her head to avoid the dash though I feel her attacking point should be a bit father away as it was a bit to hard to do it consistently by running. Sprinting I had no problem with but maybe considering moving her attack point a bit father back?
-Noticed that if you do jump over her how close you land to her will determine if she dashes ahead or if she turns around to hit you. If that wasn't intended pleases keep it in.
-I do like that she will both run and dash into laser walls and be fully stunned, maybe consider doubling the stun time if she dashes into it to make it a more risky but rewarding strategy? Ether way tricking them to dash into a laser wall then jumping over to eat them feels good every time.
-What if later on they have a charge up dash that's powerful and knocks you far back but you can stop it by simply holding devour and they charge directly into you stomach? (With half the knockback and no damage.)

They really need more work in general - frankly the level design where they've been placed thus far hasn't exactly been the best either I don't think. However, the stun counter should not be resetting upon the player taking a hit - I was unable to reproduce this myself, could you give me any more info on it?
Having her start the dash further back would be good, however it causes issues when shes against the wall but the player is still in range - I've been working on a fix for it, but to no avail thus far, so we'll have to see. Having a sort of windup is more feasible, as I would like the player to have more time to get out of the way. The incorrect dash direction happens because if you're in attack range, she will dash in the direction she's already facing, and she only changes directions when she needs to run closer - it was not originally intended, but when I discovered it while testing I decided I liked it too since it gives the player a little more room to work with in dodging them.
Charging into the player's mouth is also a fine idea, but not one I can devote focus to till later!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:New powers:
-Dash-
The dash power while easy to do and looks good I feel better if it was a button+direction key input. It kind of feels a bit short to me IMO, I used the background tiles to roughly measure the distance travelled by standing in the middle of a tile to test it. It looks like you travel about round 3-4 tiles ahead with the first 3 are safe while the 4rd tile is where invulnerable frames ends, I say 4-5 tiles would be the sweet spot for this powerup.
-Maybe you can dash through certain door or lasers later on?

The dash is something I plan to be upgradable, so stay tuned! I did however just tweak it to go slightly further (~4 tiles).

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Observations:
-When you start getting over 100 bullets the ones digit will be off screen till you back under 100. Might want to move the bullet counter a bit to the left.
-Pressing sprint while crawling will use stamina but Samus won't go faster. Is that supposed to work or not? Level 2 showed that having a faster crawl would be much appreciated.
-Having 5 noise levels is nice but I think doubling up to ten would be better for later on. (I don't remember what I did to get lvl 5 but somehow I did so I'm guessing there's 5 levels.)
-Noise detection or at least the level of noise you make need tweaking a bit but its not a big deal ATM because alpha.
-Weird that standing still makes noise along with falling, moving or not. You would think those 2 state wouldn't give off any sound at all. With prey I get but alone?
-Quickly learned that you can use the manual digestion to make enough noise to lure enemies to your spot which does give more 'stealth' options.
-I did find the vents in level 2 and while its nice to more hidden paths I'd call those crawlspaces.
-Now just noticing that the button stands still have their 'Z' prompt on them even after they have been pushed. Just a heads up.
-Indigestion happing in mid-jump tends to stop moment along with blocking any button input which tend to get annoying at times.
-I found 4 way getting through the rocket halls: Jumping over them, going under them, shooting them, and powering though, hello big belly perks! (and yes you can jump through all 4 floors, just need to learn how hard you press the jump button.
-Will we ever get a power up to knockout or even eat those wall cannons?
-Rocket hall is challenging but nice. Feels a bit to early for this lvl of challenge though as it come out of nowhere and the player up to that point had little experience with them.
-Thought I had found some no damage glitch with the waist high rockets but I was wrong. I was crawling while moving forward and shooting at the rockets and I noticed at certain times it appeared that the rockets would, when they flashed for damage, pass through Samus without damaging her. Looking over at what happened it's clear now that Samus's hitbox isn't really kneeling to shoot even though she's shooting. So not a glitch just the weird button commands that only worked with the rockets as with all other enemies I was hit while doing that command.

- Faster crawling while holding sprint was supposed to be a thing before, I have no idea what happened to it - it's back in now though!
- The sound system is going to be completely reworked next update, where it will be replaced with a bar instead that can adjust dynamically for everything you do in the game, as opposed to just having blocked/stepped levels. There is however a minimum amount of noise you will emit which will still be true with the new system unless you're crouching and not moving - however, both currently and with the future system, the radius of the sound emitted at the lowest level above 0 is smaller than the player's own collision box, so this really only matters in incidents with blind enemies, who will still be able to hear you when moving past you unless you're crouching. In the case of all other enemies, at the point where they're hearing your sound emission at level 1, they're also already directly on top of you, so you would have been seen.
- Z prompt will now no longer show after pressing!
- With the coming rework to the vore system, airborn indigestion should no longer be an issue.
- I have no idea why I didn't make the wall cannons destructible, I'll be sure to add that!
- Difficulty scaling is something I've been playing with a lot - if this game ever gets to the point of a full release, you can bet that there will be a LOT of reworking going into almost all of the levels. Currently, I'm building more for the sake of showcasing and getting use out of the things I program, and just for having essentially drafts of pieces of the whole game.
- That rocket thing was actually definitely a bug - the issue was the player's collision box was still set to be the crawl box if you started shooting while crawling. Fixed now!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Suggestions:
-For map ideas why not have a stage that has a lot of wall lasers sectioning off space and enemies and the more lasers you turn off the more space they start to roam.
-Can you change the action buttons layout? Every so often I hit the windows key and the manual digest is assigned to the shift key when I testing something I'll get a alert for hitting the shift key 5 times in a row. The QWE and ASD keys would be a better layout.
-I feel manual digestion takes takes too long, it should feel more of a quick health panic option or a way to get back to a small faster form. Right after the gut punch it feels like it should end after that but many times I thought I was done only to see the belly return full because I stopped to early. The last 7 frames can be cut down to 3-4 to make it end faster.
-What about making certain platform jump through? The hidden room in lvl 2 is annoying because the small platforms can't be jumped up from beneath them and the gap is 1 tile wide.
-The last part of the rocket hall with the 4 cannon will hit Samus 9 times out of 10 when trying to pass, might want to change that to allow more space to the drop.
-Think about the new noise mechanic how about there's a noise cap that covers your own? Areas can local noise levels of their own and as long as you don't go over them enemies won't hear you BUT as you progress through the level and defeat enemies the cap gets lower. EX: A area with laser walls and stomping missile bots have a noise cap of 2, defeating the bots or turning off the wall reduce the level by 1, doing both with reduce it to 0.
-What happening to the indigestion icons? There were a few times when indigestion stopped me and I didn't realize till a second later.
-Although it was nice using the manual digestion to attract foes to me the fact that I need to have eaten someone to use it means on a empty stomach I had no way to alert a foe other then getting close to be spotted. How about giving a option to make some noise to do the same thing?
-Maybe we can control the indegerstion RNG with a button. Say you keyed a belly interact button, pressing once does a short animation but if you hold it down for 5 seconds it will do another one or give a sound cue that will disable indigestion for a set amount of time? (Is it possible to code multiple sets that are randomized?)
-Here's' a idea, what doing coping early DOOM with the head health bar but for your stomach using what you've already made?
Fine/empty-------bored face
Fine/full----------happy face
indigestion/full--frowning face

- Part of my original intent with the current layout is to have something amenable to people who wanted to play with WASD controls - however, I think in favor of having a single more unified layout I'll probably scrap that in favor of just arrow keys for movement, freeing up the left side of the keyboard more for other commands. In the meantime I recommend disabling the sticky keys shortcut, that's what causes the windows alert for pressing shift multiple times!
- I was thinking the same thing about manual digestion a bit before releasing the update - however, again with the rework to the vore system, I may actually keep it at about the length it is for balance purposes (or I may still shorten it - will have to see how things come together).
- I would loveee to make a jump through platform, but it's next to physically impossible without overwhelmingly advanced code, doubling my existing code to have alternate checks for jump through platforms, OR rebuilding my game from the ground up with how it handles collisions, none of which are remotely worth the effort - not to mention it would render almost all existing bug testing/fixes null, as every single condition would have to be rechecked that they're still working as they should in regards to both the pass through platforms and on the ground. After typing this, I did some more googling and have found alternate potential solutions - I'll look into it more, but I wouldn't get your hopes up
- The 4 cannon wall was meant to teach the player on their second pass through the hallway with the dash ability that the dash could be used to get through - however I changed the firing frequency of the cannons some time later, and forgot to recheck that it was still possible prior to turning off the laser walls! Fixed now :)
- Ambient noise and noise caps could possibly work well with the new sound system, I'll keep it in mind.
- Status icons are another otw thing, but without a projected timeframe yet.
- I also plan on adding taunt abilities, such as being able to burp on command if full which can work to lure enemies around. However, I think I may keep abilities like this exclusive to being full - I'm playing a lot with the balance of the game in effort to add more pros and cons both to being full and empty. Generally, I want the player to be much quieter, faster, and vulnerable while empty, but much tankier, slower, and powerful while full. This should become much more apparent after the next update or two when I have both momentum and the updated sound system in game, which should both do a lot to demonstrate the differences in sound the player makes and the differences in not only speed but their ability to redirect while full (obviously momentum means it's harder to stop/turn while fuller).
- For the DOOM thing, already considering that except using a stomach icon of some sort!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:BUGS:
-A bug that I could only replicate with the sentries in that if they follow you to a low wall, you jump up and they try to jump after but can't reach and they keep jumping. If you fall down onto the same spot they're in they'll teleport up and fall onto you repeatedly till you move or stun them.
-Somehow lost a enemy when I was stabbed mid-air by a sentry, couldn't replicate it again.
-Was hit while had indigestion in the burping frames part and lost a enemy.

I noticed I wasn't throwing up any enemies anytime I was hit with indigestion though I still lost them from my belly.
-Pressing shift on indigestion animations cause them to replay and repeat.

- First bug is due to their AI and how their current attacking collision works - they're designed to jump when pursuing the player, up against a wall, and the player is above them (but not so far above that they're completely out of reach). The jumping was likely just due to you almost being in reach, but not quite (or they didn't have a solid platform to land on and start attacking, as they won't move if otherwise in attack range). The teleporting was then caused by the fact that their collision box is extended while attacking, which then causes them to technically be inside a wall - next the safety net code triggers to get them OUT of walls, and suddenly they're on top of that wall you were on - or at least until they finish the attack and their collision box returns to normal, resulting in them falling back down again. HOWEVER, I recently wrote some cleaner code to do the same job which (somehow??) eliminates the teleporting issue entirely (they SHOULD just be bumped back first instead of up - GM Studio scares me when things work better than they're supposed to, it's usually a sign that something worse will happen later). This issue should become entirely redundant though when I switch to unique collision boxes for attacks, rather than relying on the entity's collision box.
- I haven't been able to replicate the regurgitate bug - did this happen every time you started the game from the main menu? Are you able to get it to happen again? Regurgitate still works fine for me upon indigestion and anything else - my best guess is somehow the prey types weren't stored upon eating the enemies, and the game didn't know what type of enemy to replace when regurgitating, but I can't tell for sure if I can't get it to happen myself.
- Indigestion shift thing fixed!

Thanks again for all your feedback, especially the bug/inconsistency reporting - it really helps out! I'll have an update uploaded shortly with the fixes I was able to do.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby ShuTikal » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:16 am

just wanna say i have really been enjoying the game i've been having alot of fun messing around and after reading through some of the posts i was wondering about what Jumpingbananaboat said about the manual digestion being used to lure enemies in and i thought to myself what if there was like a button you would push to cause samus to belch or something to try and catch the attention of enemies drawing them in close and possibly away from other enemies and if you decide to have maybe like an indigestion meter in the game or something the burping could also possibly relieve the indigestion and discomfort could help to prevent you from having an indigestion attack or possibly belching and giving your position away when you are trying to sneak through an area xD and as for the enemies im really liking the drake and looking at the dasher enemy i thought they might have been vore capable like using a telegraphed dash where they would dash in and gobble you up seeing as they are the only human enemy so far with an exposed mouth xD i cant wait for future updates im really looking forward to what you can do ^^
ShuTikal
Been posting for a bit

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm

it's really neat, even without a furry protagonist option. It seemed to me like stealth was intended to defeat the dashers, so maybe keeping the sound for sprint crawling lower would be nice, or building the levels with hiding spaces to let you get the advantage.

The option to rest the digestion counter so we can eat while digesting would be nice. it's weird to eat one enemy, start digestion, then be unable to stuff another down.

In regards to the drake, i feel it should definitely have like 3 stomach space and eat any enemy it walks into, gradually digesting the haul over time. Any enemies in your stomach add 1 to said spaces, filling up the bulge larger if you have a full stomach, or if you got ate with the enemies you used to bait it.
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: 2D Vore Platformer ALPHA v0.2.2

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:41 pm

DraconicSyntax wrote:The next alien I'm planning a lamia-like enemy....

EngilbertSig3 wrote:I'm not a big fan of lamias, but I'm not that against them either.

Count me as a negative on the lamias. While I consider them nothing more than slurp noodles, (unless you want to make a large amount of frames showing them being slurped up, that I'm all for that), they are more fantasy opponents then the sci-fi theme going on. May I suggest instead a millipede/centipede type alien instead? For the legs just make a few legs in a walking cycle 4 frames for movement then copy them along the body. But ya do what you want I just think lamias are too fantasy for this setting.

EngilbertSig3 wrote:I'm really looking forward to seeing the updated player sprites.

Same here but no pressure, take your time on every thing your doing.

DraconicSyntax wrote:Since redoing the player sprites means remaking every single sprite, it's definitely something that I'll be working on. I am still somewhat limited by the 128x128 box....

Now that I think about it while we know the limits for a character but what about in-game measurement for stuff? What about using the square background tiles as a unit in game? I was wondering because there being used a lot and are consistently lining up with designs and stuff.

DraconicSyntax wrote:-Yes, being regurgitated by the drake is overridden by struggling, so you can potentially stay in there forever so long as you don't stop struggling....I'd originally decided to leave this in as a feature in case people wanted to enjoy struggling more without having to be re-eaten and losing more health.
-....I think the minimum damage you take now assuming you struggle constantly and right away is 18.....

-How hard would it be to code a button prompt to tell you when to start mashing?
-Checked on both versions and it seems to fluctuate between 20-22 before stopping and I started mashing the moment I was grabbed.

DraconicSyntax wrote:-I want to put a more dramatic focus on the difference in gameplay when you're empty vs carrying prey - while empty you are faster, more agile, quieter, and do less damage/take more damage, but while full you are much louder, have much more tank-like defense, and more damage through damaging abilities.
-Currently I'm thinking that rather than have increased prey capacity be discoverable powerups (or at least entirely), it will instead be something you can "level up" simply by eating enough regular enemies..

-Looking forward to seeing this empty vs full change your working on. Here's a few ideas: you get a overflow health buffer for digesting enemies past 100, ex. lvl 1 is 125, lvl 2 is 150, lvl 3 is 175 etc. (and for her stamina something similar to Botw's temporary stamina booster with a slowly increasing cap.)
-Another idea you put prey scientists hidden on the map that increase your cap when you eat enough of the. Or maybe you have to eat a certain special foe placed out of the way.

DraconicSyntax wrote:-I also updated the main post with a list of names to reference the current enemies by now (Sentry, dasher, missile robot, and alien/blind drake).
-Additionally through later upgrades, swallowing larger projectiles like the wall-fired missiles will be possible.

-Still think Stabby Haddees would fit the Sentries just fine.
-Depending on how many power-up you put in the game maybe they can cover multiple enemies, like say a charging dasher.

DraconicSyntax wrote:
- Yes, bone was actually an intentional thing from the start! There was no good way to have attacks interrupt the digest end animation without it breaking a lot of stuff, so the addition of the bone was to give you a bit of reprieve from enemies that may be giving you a beatdown while you're just tryna finish a meal.
- I didn't even know I'd added eating falling enemies honestly till I remembered it was due to how I changed the vore system! Yes though, alternate animations are planned for eating falling enemies, but not sure how soon they'll see the light of day.

-Great idea btw! Now I'm wondering if it could get a optional upgrade down the line like a AoE burp knockback since your adding more foes that attack from both sides now.
-If nothing else doing the base frames for Samus now would help for later on since your redesigning her this update.

DraconicSyntax wrote:- The dasher feels rough to me as well, it could use polishing - initially my plan was to have a much more horizontally focused level to compliment enemies that were fast and used dash attacks, but I think I forgot that narrow hallways also removed the player's ability to adequately move around them, at least for a first encounter and especially without the dash yet.

-What about making smaller lvls to introduce new enemies then going back to bigger lvls with all the enemies? Such as rebranding this level as level 3 for the drake and make a new level 2 mainly for the dasher so players to get used to them.

DraconicSyntax wrote:- The struggle mechanics are actually super straightforward - every time you struggle it adds to a counter, once that counter hits it's maximum, you're regurgitated. You can start struggling as soon as you're pressing directional keys and you see a struggle happen as a result!...but once it is you can keep struggling (really just for fun)....
- This struggle bug I've been made aware of from other people running into the issue, and have been working on patching it, but it's a real head-scratcher of a bug tbh.
- The drake has a rather sizeable chase range, and if shot while inside the chase range, will home in on the player. Being shot outside of it will not cause it to pursue however (though it's usually offscreen at this point anyway - I do plan to add a way to look further than the default boundaries at some point). I do like the idea of using it to bait them into eating crew though, it'll be something I'll probably add when I'm working on their behavior with interactions.

-That's why I'm for the button prompt to know when inputs will be received, and also show when your just struggling for fun. Also what about when you hit the max and are released the preds will chase you sec later but if you stay struggling start another counter that will stun the pred when they release you. (though that might make it harder for speedruns and those who want to just rush through the game...)
-Hmmm... If it keeps giving you problems why not try other options like a Simon says or a timed press action?
-I don't think it should home in on players just charge. See I feel it acts like a seeing enemy in that when once it's spots you, it follows you around like any other seeing foe even if you jumped to a ledge before it reach your point. I want to bait it by sound alone, something like this: the drake hears a sound in it's range and it goes there ignoring all entities and sounds till it grabs at anything at that point and if it misses it has a small delay before it starts listening again. That way it act more in line with blind foe stereotypes in that it goes from point to point following any sound it hears like in stealth and horror genres. Maybe later on when you work on crew interaction you can change it so if hears something it will run toward the spot ignoring anything in the way but if it's shot it will charge forward devouring the first entity it meets.

DraconicSyntax wrote:-...frankly the level design where they've been placed thus far hasn't exactly been the best either I don't think. However, the stun counter should not be resetting upon the player taking a hit - I was unable to reproduce this myself, could you give me any more info on it?
-...Having a sort of windup is more feasible, as I would like the player to have more time to get out of the way.
-Charging into the player's mouth is also a fine idea, but not one I can devote focus to till later!

-As said earlier making a smaller level/zone just to introduce new opponent could help with that. I'll test that out again, maybe I was wrong and overlooked something.
-Yes a windup frame would help show that she's in range to dash and that could teach players about her attack patterns.
-Ya I figured, but will it be a natural thing or a power up like I suggested earlier?

DraconicSyntax wrote:- The sound system is going to be completely reworked next update...There is however a minimum amount of noise you will emit...unless you're crouching and not moving...sound emitted at the lowest level above 0 is smaller than the player's own collision box, so this really only matters with blind enemies, who will still be able to hear you when moving past you unless you're crouching.
- I have no idea why I didn't make the wall cannons destructible, I'll be sure to add that!

-I say jumping or at least being in the air should also be at 0 as I don't see how targets can hear you if your jumping above them unseen yet somehow you make sounds.
-For the destroyed cannon visual just cut it off near the base and put out 2-3 wires with a frame of sparks coming from them every 9th- 10th frame? Also going to what Daeway said way back with the no non-eatable enemies, what if later on you add a ranged grab attack they to can be grabbed and devoured? They should be called rocket cannons BTW because they don't home in like missiles

DraconicSyntax wrote:- Part of my original intent with the current layout is to have something amenable to people who wanted to play with WASD controls...just arrow keys for movement, freeing up the left side of the keyboard more for other commands.
- The 4 cannon wall was meant to teach the player on their second pass through the hallway with the dash ability that the dash could be used to get through..
- Ambient noise and noise caps could possibly work well with the new sound system, I'll keep it in mind.
- I also plan on adding taunt abilities...I'm playing a lot with the balance of the game in effort to add more pros and cons both to being full and empty. Generally, I want the player to be much quieter, faster, and vulnerable while empty, but much tankier, slower, and powerful while full...
- For the DOOM thing, already considering that except using a stomach icon of some sort!

-Why not have a option in the control screen to have arrow keys for movement and WASD keys for commands or WASD keys for movement and the num pad for commands?
-Actually I liked the v2.1 hallway as ether you learned how to control your jumping or you had to use the dash to get through. It was the last laser wall being too close to the opening and the firing rate of the cannons meant you had a sliver of time to jump over to the floor before the next wave. Moving it back a bit would allow the player more time to react.
-Ok I meant giving Samus like a clap that only goes to one noise bar to get nearby foes that are in ceiling or ledges to drop down and such.
-Cool I just suggested the heads as a quick fix if you had already worked on it.

DraconicSyntax wrote:I haven't been able to replicate the regurgitate bug - did this happen every time you started the game from the main menu? Are you able to get it to happen again? Regurgitate still works fine for me upon indigestion and anything else - my best guess is somehow the prey types weren't stored upon eating the enemies, and the game didn't know what type of enemy to replace when regurgitating, but I can't tell for sure if I can't get it to happen myself.

I'll try and pay attention to what I do when it happens then I'll report it again. I'll also see if I can replicate on v2.2

A few more ideas that popped up in my head.

-What about a pause screen similar to zero mission where you get a vague 2d outline showing all the powers she has. (Or what about a pause option in general?)
-Maybe health capsules could also restore stamina as well?
-Can you put marks on the stamina bar? It would be easier to see how much a action costs and it would help planning head knowing what action take what amount.
-I say both dasher and drake could benefit with a pause/windup frame as mentioned earlier. Dasher right before they dash and for the drake right after they failed a grab.
-Maybe during auto digestion you get a boost to stamina recover or a set time after?
-I'm noticing when you first start game and load a save the screen flashes a scene of a dasher in a hallway before going to save spot.

Still getting dasher crashes

died to the 1st dasher to the top right in lvl 2 with 2 prey belly and then...
of Alarm Event for alarm 3
for object obj_player:

instance_create_layer :: specified layer "InstancesDebris" does not exist
at gml_Object_obj_player_Alarm_3
gml_Object_obj_player_Alarm_3 (line -1)
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Count me as a negative on the lamias. While I consider them nothing more than slurp noodles, (unless you want to make a large amount of frames showing them being slurped up, that I'm all for that), they are more fantasy opponents then the sci-fi theme going on. May I suggest instead a millipede/centipede type alien instead? For the legs just make a few legs in a walking cycle 4 frames for movement then copy them along the body. But ya do what you want I just think lamias are too fantasy for this setting.

Generally I'm still going to try to have them more alien themed, not just a straight up lamia, but we'll see how it turns out.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Now that I think about it while we know the limits for a character but what about in-game measurement for stuff? What about using the square background tiles as a unit in game? I was wondering because there being used a lot and are consistently lining up with designs and stuff.

What exactly do you mean? I'm not sure I follow.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-How hard would it be to code a button prompt to tell you when to start mashing?

Not very, but it's below status icons in terms of priority right now.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-Great idea btw! Now I'm wondering if it could get a optional upgrade down the line like a AoE burp knockback since your adding more foes that attack from both sides now.

An AOE knockback like that is also a good idea, it's on the list.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-What about making smaller lvls to introduce new enemies then going back to bigger lvls with all the enemies? Such as rebranding this level as level 3 for the drake and make a new level 2 mainly for the dasher so players to get used to them.

That will probably be what I end up doing, but not certain just how soon it will be happening.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-That's why I'm for the button prompt to know when inputs will be received, and also show when your just struggling for fun. Also what about when you hit the max and are released the preds will chase you sec later but if you stay struggling start another counter that will stun the pred when they release you. (though that might make it harder for speedruns and those who want to just rush through the game...)
-Hmmm... If it keeps giving you problems why not try other options like a Simon says or a timed press action?
-I don't think it should home in on players just charge. See I feel it acts like a seeing enemy in that when once it's spots you, it follows you around like any other seeing foe even if you jumped to a ledge before it reach your point. I want to bait it by sound alone, something like this: the drake hears a sound in it's range and it goes there ignoring all entities and sounds till it grabs at anything at that point and if it misses it has a small delay before it starts listening again. That way it act more in line with blind foe stereotypes in that it goes from point to point following any sound it hears like in stealth and horror genres. Maybe later on when you work on crew interaction you can change it so if hears something it will run toward the spot ignoring anything in the way but if it's shot it will charge forward devouring the first entity it meets.

- Auditory cues is what I'm currently leaning towards to denote the differences in struggling - currently it just ceases digestion sounds, but I plan to add more later. Visual cues of some sort I'd also like but yet again...
- The issue I've had with other vore games that have made use of simon says type struggles is that while from a gameplay perspective it's more engaging, it's not as great for the purposes of the game itself (being a vore game) in my opinion - the struggling is meant to be something to be able to enjoy the visuals/audio of, while being simple do to and simple to escape if you're more interested in the rest of what the game has to offer or have just had enough. In my experience when doing simon says type struggle minigames, I find it more distracting having to very quickly react and watch just for which inputs I'm supposed to put in that I don't get to really enjoy the vore aspect of the whole deal - and if I ignore the inputs in favor of appreciating visuals, it usually guarantees a gameover as well, which is annoying to deal with. I always enjoyed the Barbftr games as a result, as their struggle mechanics were also a simple format in just needing a counter - or, in the case of more recently added enemies, some have complex digestive tracts to struggle through, or instead of struggling, you can massage a pred to try and gain favor with it that way, rather than going for a more arbitrary directional/QtE minigame. Added a lot of depth while mixing well with the vore aspect, and that's how I'd like to add complexity to the prey system if anything.
- The Drakes are supposed to be advanced hunters and threatening enemies, making it easy for them to home in on you once you've been detected. I like the style of blind enemy you describe too and would like to add one, but making the drake behave this way (while still being a fun enemy) would remove the larger threat it poses over the other enemies. Additionally once I add functionality for it to eat crew enemies, having it exclusively do blind charges alone I think would make it too easy all together.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-Ya I figured, but will it be a natural thing or a power up like I suggested earlier?

Definitely at least a powerup, else it would remove the threat of them altogether as long as the player has space.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-I say jumping or at least being in the air should also be at 0 as I don't see how targets can hear you if your jumping above them unseen yet somehow you make sounds.
-For the destroyed cannon visual just cut it off near the base and put out 2-3 wires with a frame of sparks coming from them every 9th- 10th frame? Also going to what Daeway said way back with the no non-eatable enemies, what if later on you add a ranged grab attack they to can be grabbed and devoured? They should be called rocket cannons BTW because they don't home in like missiles

- Once the system is updated being airborn (even if moving) will only cause as much sound as standing still - it still won't be silent though as it would make even less sense then for the player standing still to emit any noise. Again this level of sound will only matter for blind enemies - especially in the case of the drakes who are naturally blind, their hearing is supposed to be better - if you jump directly over top of them then they should still hear something resulting from that.
- I agree with having all typical enemies edible in some fashion, not sure about the wall cannon though as that's just a stationary hazard - at least, if I were to make it edible then it would be at the very bottom of my priorities right now, I've got a mountain of other much more worthwhile features I could be working on in the meantime.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-Why not have a option in the control screen to have arrow keys for movement and WASD keys for commands or WASD keys for movement and the num pad for commands?
-Actually I liked the v2.1 hallway as ether you learned how to control your jumping or you had to use the dash to get through. It was the last laser wall being too close to the opening and the firing rate of the cannons meant you had a sliver of time to jump over to the floor before the next wave. Moving it back a bit would allow the player more time to react.
-Ok I meant giving Samus like a clap that only goes to one noise bar to get nearby foes that are in ceiling or ledges to drop down and such.
-Cool I just suggested the heads as a quick fix if you had already worked on it.

- Something to do at a much later time, as again it would be rather time consuming when I could be working on more worthwhile feature-wise (and not everyone has num pads, so would have to make sure I have a solution to that). As it stands, I'm still the sole developer of this game, and I already have enough content and features planned to keep me busy for the next 2 years.
- I moved it forward so that the player now has time to get down while the laser walls are on, and while off the player should instead just be able to dash (though I think I also adjusted it so crawling is an option too - may change that again).
- Yeah I know what you meant, I just felt that certain abilities and such should be locked behind being either full or empty (full in this case) - but we'll see.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-What about a pause screen similar to zero mission where you get a vague 2d outline showing all the powers she has. (Or what about a pause option in general?)
-Maybe health capsules could also restore stamina as well?
-Can you put marks on the stamina bar? It would be easier to see how much a action costs and it would help planning head knowing what action take what amount.
-I say both dasher and drake could benefit with a pause/windup frame as mentioned earlier. Dasher right before they dash and for the drake right after they failed a grab.
-Maybe during auto digestion you get a boost to stamina recover or a set time after?
-I'm noticing when you first start game and load a save the screen flashes a scene of a dasher in a hallway before going to save spot.

- Pause is also on the list, especially a themed pause like that - it's more complicated than it sounds though so it may be a minute.
- I can mark the stamina bar like in ways that would divide it up evenly, but not in ways that will make it show how much an action will cost.
- The screen flashing something else is just due to how the current load system works - basically it's still in the process of placing everything. I've been working to get it covered up so it won't show all that.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Still getting dasher crashes

died to the 1st dasher to the top right in lvl 2 with 2 prey belly and then...
of Alarm Event for alarm 3
for object obj_player:

instance_create_layer :: specified layer "InstancesDebris" does not exist
at gml_Object_obj_player_Alarm_3
gml_Object_obj_player_Alarm_3 (line -1)

This actually isn't related to the dasher at all, but it's fixed now - will be patched with the next update!
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby daeway » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:24 pm

So the standard enemies are still fun to eat, although giving them a ranged weapon would instantly make them more threatening (even though they are very capable in groups).

The dasher was interesting at first, but just unload into them from a distance and their armor gives out long enough to slurp them up.

And then there is the Drake. If there is an update coming where the player can eat the Drake, it cannot come sooner. The idea of a superheroine eating incredible monsters (like the Drake) is just badass, and if you are interested, I'd love that addition to the game! Because... well... we can't kill it.

And to be honest I didn't see much use for the dash. Although crawling under the rockets was pretty fun (wish she should could have just eaten them). And I kind of like the idea of little aliens piloting the rocket launchers to be snacked on.
daeway
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:17 pm

DraconicSyntax wrote:What exactly do you mean? I'm not sure I follow.

I'm using these background tiles to see how far Samus can dash. * Pics dash I first jump up then push against the hanging wall with the cannon to align then after I drop I dash and I use the tiles to measure.

DraconicSyntax wrote:-...it's not as great for the purposes of the game itself (being a vore game) in my opinion - the struggling is meant to be something to be able to enjoy the visuals/audio of, while being simple do to and simple to escape if you're more interested in the rest of what the game has to offer or have just had enough. Added a lot of depth while mixing well with the vore aspect, and that's how I'd like to add complexity to the prey system if anything.
- The Drakes are supposed to be advanced hunters and threatening enemies, making it easy for them to home in on you once you've been detected. I like the style of blind enemy you describe too and would like to add one, but making the drake behave this way (while still being a fun enemy) would remove the larger threat it poses over the other enemies.

-So that's why the drake hasn't clicked with me yet, I'm more interested in the player pred aspect of the game because it ties so well with the sneaking and platforming stuff.
-Oh so it's supposed to be a late game foe you meet early on and have to avoid for most of the game. Ya when you put it like that it does reduce their threat too much with my suggestions. I thought you made it to be the basic reoccurring dumb tank-like opponent you deal with throughout the whole game. Though I wonder later on if preds eating other crew will get their own invincible frames as well...

DraconicSyntax wrote:Definitely at least a powerup, else it would remove the threat of them altogether as long as the player has space.

Right I was thinking about something else and started rambling, the dasher is a pretty good fight right now. Say did you ever say if your consider doing recolors as a different unit type thing or do you want to make every enemy different?

DraconicSyntax wrote:I agree with having all typical enemies edible in some fashion, not sure about the wall cannon though as that's just a stationary hazard - at least, if I were to make it edible then it would be at the very bottom of my priorities right now, I've got a mountain of other much more worthwhile features I could be working on in the meantime.

Right good point. I wonder if a missile version would be good or would that lead to cheese with endless bullet ammo...

DraconicSyntax wrote:Yeah I know what you meant, I just felt that certain abilities and such should be locked behind being either full or empty (full in this case) - but we'll see.

Hmmm. So to be clear when you say stealth do you mean in the likes of hide n seek style like horror games or in more metal gear solid type sneaking around where you can bait enemies to take them out. Because the MGS style is where my mind goes when I think of stuff but that might not be what your going for.

DraconicSyntax wrote:- Pause is also on the list, especially a themed pause like that - it's more complicated than it sounds though so it may be a minute.
- I can mark the stamina bar like in ways that would divide it up evenly, but not in ways that will make it show how much an action will cost.

-Ah ok.
-No I just meant marking up the bar so you learn roughly how much a action takes, that would be good enough.

GramzonTheDragon wrote:...The option to rest the digestion counter so we can eat while digesting would be nice. it's weird to eat one enemy, start digestion, then be unable to stuff another down....

+1 from me as well. Being able to eat again after we started auto and it restarting the counter does seem like a fair balance. Or would that be considered more of a optional power-up?

daeway wrote:And then there is the Drake. If there is an update coming where the player can eat the Drake, it cannot come sooner. The idea of a superheroine eating incredible monsters (like the Drake) is just badass, and if you are interested, I'd love that addition to the game! Because... well... we can't kill it.
And I kind of like the idea of little aliens piloting the rocket launchers to be snacked on.

I'm definitely in Daeway's mindset myself though I thought about the missile bots down below. Also maybe you should put the plan for eating the drake later on in a FAQ Section in the topic post since so many people have asked about this already.

DraconicSyntax wrote:They really need more work in general - frankly the level design where they've been placed thus far hasn't exactly been the best either I don't think. However, the stun counter should not be resetting upon the player taking a hit - I was unable to reproduce this myself, could you give me any more info on it?

After trying as many ways shooting dashers to see if their stun count breaks I can't even do it once so I have to believe I was wrong the first time I reported that.

DraconicSyntax wrote: - I haven't been able to replicate the regurgitate bug - did this happen every time you started the game from the main menu? Are you able to get it to happen again? Regurgitate still works fine for me upon indigestion and anything else - my best guess is somehow the prey types weren't stored upon eating the enemies, and the game didn't know what type of enemy to replace when regurgitating, but I can't tell for sure if I can't get it to happen myself.

Checked with 2.1 and 2.2 it seems if you save and reload with prey in belly they are not remembered upon loading back in. In other words, YOU ARE RIGHT! (I tried with being attacked before and after saving and seeing if after eating two of the same type and then losing one, eating another of the same type then regurgitating the new one would restore the first. Didn't work, once you save the game forgets what you had for lunch LOL.)

A few questions:
Do you have set size groups for enemies?
Do you plan on having all robot be changed to tinys controlled mechs from now on?
Will the tinys be aliens? That be cool and maybe easier to animate?
I know you got a lot of suggestions but if you do go the robots are tinys now what about later on Samus gets the option to ether destroy the mecha and get a few tiny out of it or she could eat it whole and get a decent amount of ammo from it but no health. With negatives like she can't eat anything else till she digests or increase chance in indigestion and starts to auto digest.
Quick story pitch, the station your on was turned into the 'The Most Dangerous Game' type deal with Samus trying to get out.

*This was going to be in my first thoughts post but that got too long even before I added in pictures to show my point*
While I did list what I thought was rough about the dasher mechanically there's also seemed to be something off visually about her. Looking again and playing around I realized she has less fluid animation then the Sentry.
Granted since you have so much on you plate right now feel free to ignore this if you want. (Well except for the missile bots part that I would ask you to consider.)
Spoiler: show
Her mask being bulbous kind of clashes with her fast running actions. Making it sharp and angled (maybe along with her suit) would be better visually to impress she's the fast speedy type.
I still say it would be better to have her head covered like the Sentries, only leaving the mouth uncovered for units that can pred.
Her walking stance is weird tbh, with her leaning forward all the time when she walks, idk maybe make her arms swings when she walks?
That her alert frame is the same as her walking frame is weird since Sentries have their own separate frame for their alert state.
The Naruto run is fine but IMO her chasing animation should be her dashing frame, maybe you can supplant the frame of her chest when dashing onto the legs of her chasing animation?
The way she skids a bit to stop before chasing again looks good.
her walking frame should only be her alerted state

The flow of her posture in general is weird like she should be walking with a straight back with her arms swinging then when she's alerted you she starts to crouch (first frame of her walking). Then she learns forward as she run after you (her dashing frame) then when she attacks she could throw out one or both arms in front of her to spear you (IDK maybe a punching motion?) and then when she finishes up with her skidding animation before cycling into her running state again.

-I think the missiles bots could use a little redesign because it has 6 holes but shoots 3 missiles. Keep the legs but for the 'head' make the exit holes round, remove the mid row (or if you want to remake it into a mech for tinys replace it with a strip of glass) and leave 1 port round hole under that. * Pics missile mech & bot
-I noticed if you brush up against the walls at any belly size it will so what's a solid tile, by passing over it, and what's passable, by being covered by it, (except for the tiles in the dash power up room) so just a head up on that. Except for the tiles in the power dash room. * Pics belly grates
Attachments
dash 2.1.png
dash 2.1.png (28.77 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
dash 2.2.png
dash 2.2.png (28.56 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Missile Mech.jpg
Missile Mech.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Missile Robot.jpg
Missile Robot.jpg (41.34 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
belly covered.png
belly covered.png (22.59 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
belly grate covered p.1.png
belly grate covered p.1.png (22.6 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
belly grate covered p.2.png
belly grate covered p.2.png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
belly on top.png
belly on top.png (19.78 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 am

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:I'm using these background tiles to see how far Samus can dash. * Pics dash I first jump up then push against the hanging wall with the cannon to align then after I drop I dash and I use the tiles to measure.

Ahh gotcha - though on the note of dashing, I've decided I'll probably extend the dash even further for the player while empty, and reduce the range while full, turning it into a bash attack instead.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-So that's why the drake hasn't clicked with me yet, I'm more interested in the player pred aspect of the game because it ties so well with the sneaking and platforming stuff.
-Oh so it's supposed to be a late game foe you meet early on and have to avoid for most of the game. Ya when you put it like that it does reduce their threat too much with my suggestions. I thought you made it to be the basic reoccurring dumb tank-like opponent you deal with throughout the whole game. Though I wonder later on if preds eating other crew will get their own invincible frames as well...

Pretty much, yep, or lateR game foe at least. Likely what will happen with preds who are eating other crew will be immobile as though they ate the player, but strikable until a point at which they regurgitate their prey.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Right I was thinking about something else and started rambling, the dasher is a pretty good fight right now. Say did you ever say if your consider doing recolors as a different unit type thing or do you want to make every enemy different?

Yes I do have plans to do that, but I want to get a bit more mileage out of them as they are (as well as a greater enemy variety in general) before I start tossing their stronger variants in the mix.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Hmmm. So to be clear when you say stealth do you mean in the likes of hide n seek style like horror games or in more metal gear solid type sneaking around where you can bait enemies to take them out. Because the MGS style is where my mind goes when I think of stuff but that might not be what your going for.

Both, actually, depending on which enemies you're dealing with. I may yet give the player a lure ability while empty, still need to rework stealth in general first.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-No I just meant marking up the bar so you learn roughly how much a action takes, that would be good enough.

I'll be sure to add those then!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
GramzonTheDragon wrote:...The option to rest the digestion counter so we can eat while digesting would be nice. it's weird to eat one enemy, start digestion, then be unable to stuff another down....

+1 from me as well. Being able to eat again after we started auto and it restarting the counter does seem like a fair balance. Or would that be considered more of a optional power-up?

Once I rework how vore works in game, digestion will happen incrementally, reducing the belly 1 prey size at a time throughout the digestion (future absorption) phase. In this case, as long as the player has room in their belly during absorption, they will be able to eat again while effectively resetting the digestion/absorption timers.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
daeway wrote:And then there is the Drake. If there is an update coming where the player can eat the Drake, it cannot come sooner. The idea of a superheroine eating incredible monsters (like the Drake) is just badass, and if you are interested, I'd love that addition to the game! Because... well... we can't kill it.
And I kind of like the idea of little aliens piloting the rocket launchers to be snacked on.

I'm definitely in Daeway's mindset myself though I thought about the missile bots down below. Also maybe you should put the plan for eating the drake later on in a FAQ Section in the topic post since so many people have asked about this already.

Yeah, an FAQ wouldn't be a bad idea. The drake WILL be edible eventually, largely dependent on me having created belly sprites large enough for it, as well as coded a state for it (odds are the player will be immobile after eating creatures this size until they're digested).

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Checked with 2.1 and 2.2 it seems if you save and reload with prey in belly they are not remembered upon loading back in. In other words, YOU ARE RIGHT! (I tried with being attacked before and after saving and seeing if after eating two of the same type and then losing one, eating another of the same type then regurgitating the new one would restore the first. Didn't work, once you save the game forgets what you had for lunch LOL.)

Fixed!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:A few questions:
Do you have set size groups for enemies?
Do you plan on having all robot be changed to tinys controlled mechs from now on?
Will the tinys be aliens? That be cool and maybe easier to animate?
I know you got a lot of suggestions but if you do go the robots are tinys now what about later on Samus gets the option to ether destroy the mecha and get a few tiny out of it or she could eat it whole and get a decent amount of ammo from it but no health. With negatives like she can't eat anything else till she digests or increase chance in indigestion and starts to auto digest.
Quick story pitch, the station your on was turned into the 'The Most Dangerous Game' type deal with Samus trying to get out.

-No set size groups thus far beyond the standard humanoid size and the drake size, though size groups will likely become more prominent as more enemy varieties are added.
-All robot enemies will be piloted by tinies or something similar, yes.
-Not 100% on whether or not they will be aliens - the station having shrink tech is totally on the table, so perhaps they thought using human pilots on more conveniently sized robots would be appropriate.
-That's a possibility, I'll keep it in mind
-I've been getting a more cohesive story plotted out in my head for eventual implementation, and that's not terribly far off the mark.

Also about the dasher sprites, I like most the suggestions there - they'll go onto the list for now. Same with the missile bots (those sprites I actually didn't make myself originally, but rather got them from a royalty-free game sprite place some time back).

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:-I noticed if you brush up against the walls at any belly size it will so what's a solid tile, by passing over it, and what's passable, by being covered by it, (except for the tiles in the dash power up room) so just a head up on that. Except for the tiles in the power dash room. * Pics belly grates

This is currently just due to how the tiles and their layers work at the moment unfortunately - this will be made less of an issue when I have the new sprites that are more appropriately sized and masked, and even less of one when I have both that and am able to more easily reassign masks to sprites to keep the player from overlapping themselves with walls while full.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:29 pm

DraconicSyntax wrote:Ahh gotcha - though on the note of dashing, I've decided I'll probably extend the dash even further for the player while empty, and reduce the range while full, turning it into a bash attack instead.

So will it be we can dash only at first and then a level or 2 later we upgrade to a charge? Again like how your making this dynamic weight shift effect how Samus will act depending how her fullness.

DraconicSyntax wrote:Pretty much, yep, or lateR game foe at least. Likely what will happen with preds who are eating other crew will be immobile as though they ate the player, but strikable until a point at which they regurgitate their prey.

I was wondering later on if the state of how full Samus is will affects her chance of being eaten. Not to say she won't take damage during the attempt but she could be regurgitated half way or a animation playing showing the pred unable to swallow her down.
EX:
    Human size,
    empty = 100% eaten
    1 prey = 75
    2 prey = 50
    3 prey = 25
    4 prey = 0

Drake size,
    empty = 100% eaten
    1 prey = 100
    2 prey = 75
    3 prey = 50
    4 prey = 50
DraconicSyntax wrote:Once I rework how vore works in game, digestion will happen incrementally, reducing the belly 1 prey size at a time throughout the digestion (future absorption) phase. In this case, as long as the player has room in their belly during absorption, they will be able to eat again while effectively resetting the digestion/absorption timers.

Would that be a power up as well or would change it around so the absorption will replace how auto is right now. Actually if you want to do a upgrade system for digestion perhaps Samus starts with manual only and gets more option throughout the game like:
Manual will be the fastest but you get less health, auto will be the same time but you digest all captured prey, absorption is the slowest but gives the most health (though may want to swap auto and absorb?). Or maybe she only does slow absorption at first and the other two will be faster upgrades.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game