WIP/Help Wanted: Bodybounded; Starbound Endo/Player Pred Mod

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

WIP/Help Wanted: Bodybounded; Starbound Endo/Player Pred Mod

Postby NotTadpole » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:13 am

Greetings!

If you're a Starbound player and have been keeping tabs on mods for it, you probably saw that someone was working on a vore mod that allowed you to explore the internal organs of other NPCs (link), but its developer has ran into real-life problems related to college, and hasn't been able to work on it for months now. Since the idea caught my interest (as I have a soft spot for being shrunk and entering fully-explorable innards of another person, a la Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, but struggle to find games that feature things like that), and I'm a lazy bum who never does anything worthwhile in her life anyway, I've been considering attempting to work on such a mod myself.

At first, it remained just a simple concept, but after brainstorming, the simple concept grew into something more ambitious that I personally don't think has been achieved by many vore fangames and mods out there. As such, this mod could be essentially be split into two seperate categories: one for the original vision of NPC body travel, and another for a more in-depth interactible and playable vore-centered companion. Both of them have perks, yet at the same time present difficulties and obstacles that would be concerning to work around.

Section One: NPC body travel
Spoiler: show
My take on the mod is likely rather different from what Rewired had in mind, which is inevitable given how my personal tastes tend to be reflected on things I work on; the basic concept is that you can use a special, high-tech item that, when held and clicked on a non-hostile humanoid NPC, would shrink you to a microscopic size and teleport you into within their body - represented in-game by a fleshy dungeon whose appearance varies depending on the species of the person you're inside of. It would kiiiinda operate a bit like challenge doors, except with a twist: they wouldn't be a single room, but rather a series of rooms spread throughout different parts of the body, with the player spawning in a safe "hub room" and utilizing connections with blood vessels (basically glorified intra-dungeon teleporters) to transport themselves throughout their host's body, going to regions such as the arm muscle, the intestines, the heart, the lungs (maybe allowing a connection to the throat, and then the stomach), the liver, and the breasts/testicles depending on the host's sex. These rooms would be largely themed after the location they're meant to be in, but most likely wouldn't necessarily be anatomically accurate - especially areas like the arm muscle. The hub area would hands-down be the most anatomically-inaccurate part of the bodyworld, since it's not particularly based on any part of the body. (Maybe a cavity within the diaphragm?) It'd be mostly a place that is wide and ample enough for you to be able to construct a base or a village inside the body of your host if you so desire, as the other parts of the body likely would be too cramped to have much room to build a base in - these dungeons would have block protection that would prevent you from digging up the flesh blocks, since that'd be tantamount to attacking the host from inside, but I hope it could be possible to still allow the player to place their own blocks there.

As mentioned before, the interior of the host's body would vary depending on their species. Most species would have the same interior appearance, but some would have an unique layout instead, some even entirely changing the design of the worldspaces itself. Meanwhile, some would simply not have an interior at all. Here are the layouts I've come up with:

- Human: The default layout, with flesh chunk blocks and flesh doors
- Apex: Utilizes flesh pile blocks instead of flesh chunks, and also contains glowing goo to provide illumination, owing to their genetically-modified background
- Avian: Likely the same as Humans
- Floran: Basically a leaf-filled jungle with glowing biopods serving as illumination, and a miniature tree where the heart should be at
- Glitch: Basically a glorified steampunk mecha
- Hylotl: Tempting to make it the default layout, but with several sections flooded with water
- Novakid: No internal worldspace available, as I imagine their bodies have no internal cavities.
- Fenerox: Default layout

'Course, the main problem lies that I'm not very experienced with mod-making, and I never made dungeon mods at all. So I'm not too sure on how I could design the worldspaces, let alone implement a method of access that requires interacting with an NPC to enter said dungeons at all - especially if the NPC in question is a crew member, in which I'd have to figure out a way to make said crew member be unable to follow the player inside their own body in case they're deployed in a planet. And this is without mentioning the issue of how to make the game handle more than one internal dungeon in case the player intends to enter the body of more than just one NPC, without having to make said dungeons instanced and thus ruining the possibility of long-term residence within them.

Section Two: A fully-interactable and playable voracious companion
Spoiler: show
Since some time after I made this thread, I've been contemplating and eventually decided to do an unusual decision regarding the mod's direction, that I hope won't be a disliked one. Lately, I've been re-playing Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (playing the 3DS remake for the first time), and I really like many of its gameplay elements (alterning between a single large, powerful being in the overworld, and weaker peeps inside said being's body to help them from inside) to the point I get rather annoyed with how nobody else did anything like it. That game already was a major inspiration for the basic concept of the mod I talked about, namely the idea of being able to explore one's body as if it were kind of a dungeon - but I feel like simply teleporting inside an NPC and exploring their insides would get boring after a while, since most Starbound species have normal digestive systems with nothing much to do within them - additionally, it's likely impossible to be able to seize control of another NPC. So I was thinking of adding another feature in addition to that - having some sort of special "companion" (actually a "vehicle" skinned to look like an alien creature) where you're able to have it swallow your character whole to "teleport" you into inside their body, and while you're inside them, you're able to swap control between the companion in the overworld, and your character inside your companion's body - much like M&L handles the player swapping between Bowser in the overworld, and the Bros. inside his body.

This companion would have unique abilities, but many of them would start out either locked or fairly weak, which would require the player to explore certain dungeons set in specific parts of their body to be able to reach a specific part of their body that, when activated, unlocks a new ability and/or makes an existing one stronger, so the companion is able to keep up with planets of higher tiers. There will be an in-lore explanation for this, all I'll say is that it involves repairing broken bioaugmentation enhancement implants inside your companion's body, so that said enhancements start actually working and grant new abilities. Moreover, when playing as this companion, they would have the ability to eat other enemy NPCs whole (so long as they're non-bosses, obviously) so that, in case the player is currently stronger than their companion, they're able to fight said enemies from inside the companion's body. This also doubles as letting the player play as a pred creature in addition to being a symbiotic prey, which would further enhance the appeal of this mod to Starbound players who aren't exclusively prey, but don't wish to play multiplayer.

To compensate for the gimmicky, convoluted and possibly unnecessary gameplay twist, playing as the companion would be a different experience than regularly playing as the player character: they're faster, stronger, and more resistant to damage in average (but not to overpowered extents), but in addition to not being able to have active crew members (they'd have to be exclusive to the player, and when seizing control of your companion whilst having crew members following you, they would teleport inside the companion's body to accompany the player character), likely would have some other limitations or gameplay elements to balance out their strength. The main obvious obstacle is that they would lack the finesse of the player character, such as the Sphere Ball tech, and would lack long-range attacks until the lategame. Another possible limitation could be them having a "hunger" meter that makes them less and less combat-effective if they've gone a long time without having swallowed an enemy, thus requiring the player to still be in a decent enough shape and still have to fight overworld enemies from time to time, as opposed to having to rely on your companion to defeat all enemies.

Obviously, this would not replace the intended core functionality of travelling inside NPCs' bodies, but it is a feature I've been wanting to work on for a while now, as it would make the mod far more unique while appealing to both prey and pred players. Plus, the newest update of SSVM already provides somewhat of a basic functionality for the "vehicle" part of the mod, specifically the work-in-progress dinosuit. Even then, however, it's still a rather ambitious project to undertake, and as much as I want to see something like it become reality, I do worry about whether I'd be biting off more than what I can chew.

So, overall, this is a tough spot to be in. I decided to make a thread announcing my project pitch out of hopes that someone may be experienced with the development of dungeons, or help me develop a method of access through an NPC, as well as solve the other aforementioned problems. I just hope I'm not making a mistake by doing this, since I'm not very confident that I can develop such a mod into fruition, and I'm also not sure if I will be able to retain access to my computer for the upcoming months, due to personal real-life reasons that I don't wish to disclose.
Last edited by NotTadpole on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotTadpole
Somewhat familiar

Re: Project Draft: Bodybounded; Starbound Endo Mod (Help wan

Postby GabrielTMM » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:50 am

That sounds awesome. Hope to see some photos in the future! I wish I could help, but im not the best at coding, hope you find some help soon!
GabrielTMM
Been posting for a bit

Postby Rumir » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:59 pm

I always was excited about the "Explore the whole body" concept Rewired had in mind. Now with your thoughts you have already put into the project I clearly can see you have plans and ideas on how to expand this concept.

My lua skills are quite low but I may have read something about adding custom variables to each "NPC object". This should technically allow you to link the NPC and the world id for the bodyworld.
In theory, everyone could develop a game.
It may not be the best game, but it is a game after all.
Rumir
New to the forum

Postby NotTadpole » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Rumir wrote:My lua skills are quite low but I may have read something about adding custom variables to each "NPC object". This should technically allow you to link the NPC and the world id for the bodyworld.

Oh, how could I do that? And could it check for the NPC's sex and species as well?
NotTadpole
Somewhat familiar

Postby Rumir » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm

NotTadpole wrote:Oh, how could I do that? And could it check for the NPC's sex and species as well?

That's where I sadly have to repeat myself: I have near to no skills regarding Lua. :cry:

But because I have tried to understand Lua and Starbound modding, I can tell there are functions called "npc.gender()" and "ncp.species()" which do return the gender and species of the NPC.

You can read more about it on the Starbound Wiki: https://starbounder.org/Modding:Lua
It has a really decent documentation about the Starbound Lua API
In theory, everyone could develop a game.
It may not be the best game, but it is a game after all.
Rumir
New to the forum

Postby Kerbalmaster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Any luck with the mod and/or finding those willing to help make it?
Kerbalmaster
Somewhat familiar

Postby NotTadpole » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:18 pm

Kerbalmaster wrote:Any luck with the mod and/or finding those willing to help make it?

Yeah, Rumir has volunteered to help with the coding part of the mod, while I stick with the level design and lore. (I also had a friend knowledgeable with lua providing me assistance in some matters, but I figured I shouldn't rely too much on their help, since they're not into vore and I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable.) We made some progress, with figuring out how some of the code works, and making new blocks and objects, but haven't been able to work very long on it due to being busy (and, in my case, wrangling with depression killing my motivation to do much of anything). Now all that's missing is possibly a spriter (while I can make some sprites, I'm not particularly good at them and will absolutely do a horrible job at animating them), but that can wait for later, I think.

That said, having spent this much time brainstorming about it has made my vision of the mod change quite a bit. While the original basis of it is unchanged, the focus is different and I updated the original post to match that. I'd recommend giving it a look!

Here's some examples of stuff I made thus far:
Attachments
bloodvesseldoor.gif
bloodvesseldoor.gif (44.89 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
belly dungeon work.png
NotTadpole
Somewhat familiar

Re: WIP/Help Wanted: Bodybounded; Starbound Endo/Player Pred

Postby leonthegreat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:18 pm

This looks super cool. Keep us updated
Always looking for a nice belly to relax in.
leonthegreat
Somewhat familiar

Postby ooglethorpe5 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 pm

Incredible work so far!
ooglethorpe5
Been posting for a bit

Postby ian66613 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:50 am

I'm always up for more endo exploration. As I'm not big on being a predator. I wouldn't mind having a "Double Victim" event as well, where you can get eaten by someone in the bodyworld, but end up in a small fixed bodyworld for that NPC in the bodyworld.
Ideal Vore Games · Vore Preferences · My OC (4 inch (10cm) fairy boy.)
I am NOT into Furries/Bestial/Animals.
ian66613
---

Postby ThisGuy127 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Sorry to up and Necro this, but I am curious to hear of any development made so far, and what complications are being solved right now? I might be able to put some time of my own into breaking into Lua and helping get something working in this, as I've already done quite a bit of my own work with SSVM for my own amusement, like fixing the NPC and stat code issues.
ThisGuy127
Somewhat familiar

Postby ooglethorpe5 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:24 am

Agreed with the above poster
ooglethorpe5
Been posting for a bit

Postby Muk378 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:50 pm

Any progress to report? Just curious.
Muk378
New to the forum

Postby Cruelin660 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Sorry, but I gotten a little distracted with the Spikes on the Throat Area, whys that?
Cruelin660
Been posting for a bit

Postby BlossomDancer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm

Cruelin660 wrote:Sorry, but I gotten a little distracted with the Spikes on the Throat Area, whys that?

If I had to hazard a guess, it's to keep someone with the spike sphere tech from climbing up there.
BlossomDancer
New to the forum

Postby Kerbalmaster » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:14 pm

I'm personally excited to see how well the companion idea would work, I've always loved BiS, and seeing that unique dynamic being used once more fills me with a comforting nostalgia. Keep up the good work!
Kerbalmaster
Somewhat familiar

Postby NotTadpole » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:21 pm

I'm sorry. My life has been a nightmare lately and I've been too depressed and burnt out to work on this at all. I feel really bad about it.
NotTadpole
Somewhat familiar

Postby Cruelin660 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:15 pm

NotTadpole wrote:I'm sorry. My life has been a nightmare lately and I've been too depressed and burnt out to work on this at all. I feel really bad about it.

Hopefully you get better soon, just take a bit of time off, maybe go to the park to have Relaxation, or maybe hang out with friends
Cruelin660
Been posting for a bit

Postby Kerbalmaster » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:51 pm

NotTadpole wrote:I'm sorry. My life has been a nightmare lately and I've been too depressed and burnt out to work on this at all. I feel really bad about it.

We all have those moments, Theres no reason we would ever blame ya for needing a mental health break. Get well soon. :)
Kerbalmaster
Somewhat familiar

Postby Anonymous111 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:21 am

so any news about the mod? or is it abandoned
Anonymous111
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to Vore game