Willowood | A vore text RPG [Alpha 1.0.1 out now!]

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Willowood | A vore text RPG [Alpha 1.0.1 out now!]

Postby AFreshPupcake » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Hello! I'm Pupcake, and this is my game Willowood. I've been working on it for a pretty long while now as a passion project. In short, it's a text-based RPG focused on open-ended exploration and interactions within a small, rather odd town. Fetish content included centers around oral vore, stuffing, weight gain, and cartoon physics. Vore scenes do end in digestion and I have no intention at the moment of writing any endo. Scenes where the player is prey are implied to be fatal if they don't have the means to revive.

This game is in a fairly early state of development at the moment and is far from content complete in many places, but as it'll take a very long time to complete, I'm going to be releasing it in increments.
CURRENT VERSION: Alpha 1.0.1

DOWNLOAD IT HERE!: https://textadventures.co.uk/games/view ... /willowood
Requires Quest to run offline! Online version may not always work exactly as intended!

Features:
  • Character creation!

• Time of day which characters will react to! Every character has a schedule!

• 10 unique characters! (so far)

• Minigames and sidesquests!

• Original music and sounds!

• Weight gain, and vore scenes which can change according to the sizes, both in height and in weight, of the characters involved! Each one has multiple entirely unique variants!

• Expandable player home! Gain access to know things as you progress!

• More to come!

You can support Willowood on Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/AFreshPupcake
Any and all help is greatly appreciated, even if it's just a few dollars one-time!

You can also join my Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/DFEWQ75) where I'll be hanging out and posting updates regularly, or follow me on FA here (https://www.furaffinity.net/user/afreshpupcake/)

Changelog:

Spoiler: show

Alpha 1.0.1 (5/17/22):
  • Drinking contest minigame with Klaus
  • Potion swapping minigame with Pupcake
  • Maple's house now accessible after befriending her (Some dialogue paths may be reworked in future)
  • Notebook that tracks objectives and info!
  • 2 new minor sidequests (Maple, Klaus)
  • Music/sound additions and changes
  • Images of multiple characters that appear when you look at them (Maple, Oz, Pupcake, Croc, and Olivia)
  • New character (Vey)
  • Certain characters can now occasionally be spotted eating each other
  • Woods area now open (Unfinished- To be finished in next update!)
  • Alchemitorium where you can prew potions (Also only partially implemented - to be finished with woods area!)
  • Several new vores scenes: 3 as prey, 1 as pred
  • Bugfixes/minor changes

Demo 2.0.3 (4/17/20):
  • Fixed a bug which caused Maryanne's quest to become impossible to replay.

Demo 2.0.2 (4/13/20):
  • Fixed a bug where it was possible to trigger multiple instances of the same event at once.
  • Added option to have a tail instead of feet (will still cause grammatical issues)

Demo 2.0.1 (4/9/20):
  • Added code to instantly get greenhouse
  • Small damage nerf for Skoll and Hati
  • Slight buff to parrying
  • Increased rewards for police quests
  • Various bugfixes
[/list]
Last edited by AFreshPupcake on Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Re: Willowood | A vore text RPG [Demo 2 out now!]

Postby MaskedSinner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:00 am

Hey, man, i have played it a bit right now and had a lot of fun. I'm a bit worried about losing my progress though, i saw the code machine but have no idea of how to get a code. Can you lend me a hand?
MaskedSinner
Somewhat familiar

Postby AFreshPupcake » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:23 am

MaskedSinner wrote:Hey, man, i have played it a bit right now and had a lot of fun. I'm a bit worried about losing my progress though, i saw the code machine but have no idea of how to get a code. Can you lend me a hand?

The game will occasionally give you codes when you reach major accomplishments! Just keep an eye out for them, they'll print in bold to make them harder to miss! You can write them down and input them into the machine whenever you start a new save to restore those accomplishments.

There's only a few available at the moment, but I'll most probably be adding more in a patch soon. I may make a publicly-viewable list of all the codes somewhere as well so people who don't wanna bother with the grind or writing things down can get right to the good stuff
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Postby gigaredpanther » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:30 am

While I haven't played enough to get to "the good stuff" yet, I have to say that I appreciate how this game is a slow burn so far. It's actually refreshing to experience a sense of buildup rather than just having the vore being instantly thrown into your face. It can be easy to forget just how big of a difference a good setup can make, y'know?

Plus the character creation system is a nice touch. Between my nervous disposition, uncertainty of what I'm getting into, and my status as Complete Prey Trash™, the choices were obvious. My first character is a mouse. Short, scrawny, and helpless!
We get: To eat you
You get: Eaten

-Tyranid Diplomat
gigaredpanther
Somewhat familiar

Postby Revx_Z » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:15 am

This game shows promise, but the engine is incredibly annoying. Trying to socialize through Quest is a nuisance. NPCs disappearing during conversation because time changed is bloody annoying. There doesn't seem to be any way to pause for conversation, either.
Trying to real-time-fight through Quest is worse. Clicking "Attack" within 1 second still gets me "too slow" sometimes.
Apart from the twitch reflex, there's two other bugs in the Bracer fight:
Bracer can steal money even when I have none left.
After losing the fight repeats immediately.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby AFreshPupcake » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Revx_Z wrote:This game shows promise, but the engine is incredibly annoying. Trying to socialize through Quest is a nuisance. NPCs disappearing during conversation because time changed is bloody annoying. There doesn't seem to be any way to pause for conversation, either.
Trying to real-time-fight through Quest is worse. Clicking "Attack" within 1 second still gets me "too slow" sometimes.
Apart from the twitch reflex, there's two other bugs in the Bracer fight:
Bracer can steal money even when I have none left.
After losing the fight repeats immediately.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the issues with Quest itself. I didn't learn about them until I was already really far into working on the project. I'm trying to work around them and mitigate them as much as I can. I may slow down the combat by a second or two per turn in the next patch, as I've heard from several people that it's excessively difficult.

However, characters walking away during dialogue shouldn't be happening. I put a stop time command at the start of every interaction to keep this from happening. Is there a specific place this happened for you? I may have simply forgotten that command somewhere.

I'll also look into the stealing bug, thanks for reporting it! I could swear I remember putting in a check to prevent that fron happening too though. Would you happen to be playing the online version? I did mention that one may not always work as intended

gigaredpanther wrote:While I haven't played enough to get to "the good stuff" yet, I have to say that I appreciate how this game is a slow burn so far. It's actually refreshing to experience a sense of buildup rather than just having the vore being instantly thrown into your face. It can be easy to forget just how big of a difference a good setup can make, y'know?

Plus the character creation system is a nice touch. Between my nervous disposition, uncertainty of what I'm getting into, and my status as Complete Prey Trash™, the choices were obvious. My first character is a mouse. Short, scrawny, and helpless!

I'm glad you enjoy the approach I'm taking! My thinking with this game is that I want vore to actually have a struggle to avoid it involved in most cases. To me, I like vore content more if I didn't just press a button to make it happen. I like it to be a consequence of behaving without actively seeking it out, so that's what I'm trying to do with this game.
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Postby Benevorlent » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:32 pm

This is a really impressive game! It's got a lot going for it you don't usually get in a Quest game of this kind.

I love how interactable the characters are, being able to learn about them and slowly befriend them, resulting in them opening up more with you about themselves.

I love the progression for the bakery and the freelance bounty hunting, the bakery slowly ramping up the difficulty without adding any new stations, only giving you more things to do with them, and the bounty hunting giving you a whole 'nother faction of characters to learn about.

I love the mystery! What is going on in Willowood? What's with the abandoned quarry? What's in the woods? There's a lot to get invested in in this game to want to solve!

I love the music! Every little event has its own theme to it and it really adds a lot to the game! I can't begin to imagine how long it would've taken to make a theme for so many different things

What I will say, however, is I do not love the combat. After the first fight, the opponents hold the advantage, having more damage than you and possibly also having more health, and since they act first every turn there's very few situations where you can pick a "winning" option.
If they go for a counter, all you can do is heal, which is irritating when they start the fight with it, more so when they get a free attack on you which can stun if you decide you don't want to do anything at all.
If they go for an attack, usually trading is not in your favour, as either they do more damage or they have a chance to stun you for much more damage. If you heal, then they'll probably out-damage what you heal. If you parry, you have a chance of failing and taking the attack head-on anyways, along with potentially getting stunned for a lot of damage, and if you block then you don't get anything, and sometimes even that fails, meaning you take the damage anyways.
There's only two situation where you can choose an option which you know will win, which is attacking them when they try to steal from you and healing when they're taunting. Parrying can stun them but can also have you take the hit, meaning you might get stunned instead. Since they'll damage you with the attack that stunned you as well, they'll always deal more damage if they stun you that you'll do if you stun them, making the risk/reward for parrying in their favour, so it's not worth going for. If you attack, again they have more damage, meaning it's also in your favour. That means that in a majority of cases, your best bet is just to block, which has a very low chance of stunning them, meaning usually nobody "wins" in that case, you just didn't lose.
This makes combat far too passive and defensive. For the best chance of winning, you have to block their dangerous attacks and parry their weaker ones hoping for a stun. If that doesn't work, then you have to wait for them to counter so you can heal and repeat the situation.

It's a shame because your combat system reminds me a lot of the combat system from Redscale's Adventure, another text-based game, where you had some options which would beat outright other options, but outright lose to different other options, and your opponent could lie about which option they were going to go for. I feel that with some slight re-adjustment, the combat could be changed to encourage pro-activeness instead of playing passively waiting for the right prompt to come, which I feel would work fantastically with the current timer on combat responses.
Benevorlent
Somewhat familiar

Postby AFreshPupcake » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Benevorlent wrote:This is a really impressive game! It's got a lot going for it you don't usually get in a Quest game of this kind.

I love how interactable the characters are, being able to learn about them and slowly befriend them, resulting in them opening up more with you about themselves.

I love the progression for the bakery and the freelance bounty hunting, the bakery slowly ramping up the difficulty without adding any new stations, only giving you more things to do with them, and the bounty hunting giving you a whole 'nother faction of characters to learn about.

I love the mystery! What is going on in Willowood? What's with the abandoned quarry? What's in the woods? There's a lot to get invested in in this game to want to solve!

I love the music! Every little event has its own theme to it and it really adds a lot to the game! I can't begin to imagine how long it would've taken to make a theme for so many different things

What I will say, however, is I do not love the combat. After the first fight, the opponents hold the advantage, having more damage than you and possibly also having more health, and since they act first every turn there's very few situations where you can pick a "winning" option.
If they go for a counter, all you can do is heal, which is irritating when they start the fight with it, more so when they get a free attack on you which can stun if you decide you don't want to do anything at all.
If they go for an attack, usually trading is not in your favour, as either they do more damage or they have a chance to stun you for much more damage. If you heal, then they'll probably out-damage what you heal. If you parry, you have a chance of failing and taking the attack head-on anyways, along with potentially getting stunned for a lot of damage, and if you block then you don't get anything, and sometimes even that fails, meaning you take the damage anyways.
There's only two situation where you can choose an option which you know will win, which is attacking them when they try to steal from you and healing when they're taunting. Parrying can stun them but can also have you take the hit, meaning you might get stunned instead. Since they'll damage you with the attack that stunned you as well, they'll always deal more damage if they stun you that you'll do if you stun them, making the risk/reward for parrying in their favour, so it's not worth going for. If you attack, again they have more damage, meaning it's also in your favour. That means that in a majority of cases, your best bet is just to block, which has a very low chance of stunning them, meaning usually nobody "wins" in that case, you just didn't lose.
This makes combat far too passive and defensive. For the best chance of winning, you have to block their dangerous attacks and parry their weaker ones hoping for a stun. If that doesn't work, then you have to wait for them to counter so you can heal and repeat the situation.

It's a shame because your combat system reminds me a lot of the combat system from Redscale's Adventure, another text-based game, where you had some options which would beat outright other options, but outright lose to different other options, and your opponent could lie about which option they were going to go for. I feel that with some slight re-adjustment, the combat could be changed to encourage pro-activeness instead of playing passively waiting for the right prompt to come, which I feel would work fantastically with the current timer on combat responses.

Gosh, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much <3 That really means a lot to me! And yeah, I did spend a while on the music. I was actually using some pretty poor software when I made those songs. I have some waaay better software now and I've been honing my skills as a producer and composer, so hopefully future music I do for the game will sound a bit nicer and less stiff.

As for the combat, that's some really helpful criticism! I'm still planning on doing a lot of re-balancing on it, so I can keep this all in mind when I'm adjusting it. I'm a tad surprised parry doesn't feel useful, but I can up the stun chance by about 10-15% and see how that feels. I'm just worried about accidentally flipping it the other direction and making blocking useless.

There is a reasoning behind the combat being defensive though, that much was at least deliberate. I figured that the player character isn't likely to actually have much experience in combat, at least not as much as the thieves do, so they'd naturally be put on the defensive.

There is one other spot in the game I am planning to have combat in as well though, and that one is intended to use an entirely different system (don't worry, there's reasoning behind that too!). I think it would make more sense to use an offense-oriented system there, so I'll definitely see if I can do something more empowering with it. Thanks again very much for the suggestions!
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Postby WolfieTheScapeGoat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:33 pm

I thought parry was quite useful, though that might have been me getting lucky with how often it stunned.
WolfieTheScapeGoat
Participator

Postby AFreshPupcake » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:52 am

I just put out a patch with some small balance changes and fixes for most bugs which have been reported. I was unable to replacate a few of them, however, so if those come up again, please tell me and try to be specific about the exact context! I'm more likely to be able to fix a bug if I can be more certain about when it happens.
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Postby rytpqe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:36 am

How to speak with npc?
rytpqe
New to the forum

Postby Benevorlent » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:07 am

AFreshPupcake wrote:I'm a tad surprised parry doesn't feel useful, but I can up the stun chance by about 10-15% and see how that feels. I'm just worried about accidentally flipping it the other direction and making blocking useless.

Parry did feel useful, sorry I wasn't very clear on that I'm not good at explaning my thoughts without rambling. It felt too risky with that if you failed, you'd get hit for harder than you could hit them, and with being at equal health being their advantage your best choices then became to block until you either got a chance to heal safely or a chance to attack safely. I can understand why it makes sense story-wise but in my own opinion, that seems to conflict with combat gameplay-wise, since it too often becomes a waiting game for the right prompt from them.
Benevorlent
Somewhat familiar

Postby No-One » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 am

AFreshPupcake wrote:However, characters walking away during dialogue shouldn't be happening. I put a stop time command at the start of every interaction to keep this from happening. Is there a specific place this happened for you? I may have simply forgotten that command somewhere.

I don't know where it happened to the person who first mentioned it, but for me it happened when I was talking with Maple in the marketplace. I was literally in the middle of dialogue with her, and when I clicked on the next thing I wanted to say she suddenly wasn't there anymore and it kicked me out of the conversation.
No-One
Participator

Postby AFreshPupcake » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:44 am

No-One wrote:I don't know where it happened to the person who first mentioned it, but for me it happened when I was talking with Maple in the marketplace. I was literally in the middle of dialogue with her, and when I clicked on the next thing I wanted to say she suddenly wasn't there anymore and it kicked me out of the conversation.

I've just checked and double-checked the code for all of her dialogue and I can't seem to figure out why that might be happening. The command to disable time is placed correctly and should apply to all of her dialogue. The only thing I can think of is that Quest might be ignoring that line of code sometimes for some reason. I'll have to play around with it and see if I can catch for myself when it happens and what I might be able to do to correct the issue.

As a side note though, I did find a a couple spots where I forgot to make time start up again, so that'll at least be fixed in the the next patch. For now, if you ever have time get stuck frozen, try going back to your bedroom. Entering that room always starts time.
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Postby Revx_Z » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:12 pm

I think I figured out what was up with the immediately repeating fight: I had clicked "confront Bracer" during the fight because I thought that was used to continue confronting and keep fighting. When I didn't do that, it worked fine.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby NeedADispenserHere » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:22 pm

"Fetish content included centers around oral vore, stuffing, weight gain, and cartoon physics."

(I think it would be pretty wise to mention Furry in that list, just saying)
NeedADispenserHere
New to the forum

Postby rytpqe » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:44 am

I don't understand how to communicate and ask anything from NPC.
rytpqe
New to the forum

Postby AFreshPupcake » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:39 am

Revx_Z wrote:I think I figured out what was up with the immediately repeating fight: I had clicked "confront Bracer" during the fight because I thought that was used to continue confronting and keep fighting. When I didn't do that, it worked fine.

Oh! That makes sense, I can fix that! I know exactly how to as well, so that'll be patched out soon. Thanks for telling me!

rytpqe wrote:I don't understand how to communicate and ask anything from NPC.

If you click their name in the sidebar and click "speak to", they'll either say something to you, or you'll get a dialogue menu. Characters that don't have a dialogue menu when you talk to them at one location might have one when they visit another!
AFreshPupcake
New to the forum

Postby FutureBellyAche » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:24 am

Lovely game, a bit sparse on content of course but I look forward to future updates.
I really like your character creator. It's simple but that works. I do kinda hope more characters take note if your attributes in some way.
FutureBellyAche
Participator

Postby No-One » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 pm

As a thought, it might be nice to have an option in character creation for lamia/naga type characters, so that when asked what you would call your feet you can choose "tail" as an option.
No-One
Participator

Next

Return to Vore game