Bug Runner

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Bug Runner

Postby CykaBlyat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:37 am

Cover Image.png
Cover Image.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 15163 times

Hi all! A while back I was working on a rogulike-turned-platformer here, and while that project is going to absolute development hell, I started a brief tiny side-project, Bug Runner!

https://shellbyfox.itch.io/bug-runner

The game is completely free and features a few different kinks, two of which is Unbirth, and TF through Unbirth. I've been planning an update to add an Oral Vore enemy. I might be able to be talked into adding another enemy with a different type of vore too. It's played via keyboard, but if folk want, I can try to add basic universal gamepad support.

Here's some screenies for peeps! :3

Spoiler: show

ScreenShot 3.png
ScreenShot 3.png (7.8 KiB) Viewed 15165 times

ScreenShot 1.png
ScreenShot 1.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 15163 times

ScreenShot 2.png
ScreenShot 2.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 15164 times

CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Re: Bug Runner

Postby jaded353 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:47 pm

how do i get the character to become female?
jaded353
Been posting for a bit

Postby CykaBlyat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 pm

jaded353 wrote:how do i get the character to become female?

I mean, outside of the gameover screen for the unbirth bug, you don't. The character remains shemale/futa/whatever you wanna call it.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby jaded353 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:13 am

ah, i checked through some of the sprites and it looked like the pink scientist one was playable? (seemed like she had some different game overs or at least interactions, hence my curiosity x3)
jaded353
Been posting for a bit

Postby VirtuosoViking » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:09 am

Well this was a nice lil' game. Spent more time on it than I'd thought. Think I did everything.
Got all the game overs, got preggers and birthed a larva, saved the scientist, got the DNA thingie(did that do anything in particular? Or was that like a sub-objective or something?), maxed out all stats, got all three canteens, got the armor and non-paid bomb, defeated the queen, and escaped.

If you were thinking of adding an enemy with oral vore, would it be some kind of creature like the bugs? Or would it be a reborn/infected...uh, staff member(?) that could do it? Maybe one of them could unbirth like the red bug as well. Speaking of that enemy, probably my favorite scene. I got a sudden affinity for TF scenes a while ago, and via unbirth takes it one step further to satisfaction. Anyway, it was really fun going through the game. One question though. What exactly happens when one gets "infested"? Is it like how the parasitized guards are?
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby CykaBlyat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 am

VirtuosoViking wrote:Well this was a nice lil' game. Spent more time on it than I'd thought. Think I did everything.
Got all the game overs, got preggers and birthed a larva, saved the scientist, got the DNA thingie(did that do anything in particular? Or was that like a sub-objective or something?), maxed out all stats, got all three canteens, got the armor and non-paid bomb, defeated the queen, and escaped.

If you were thinking of adding an enemy with oral vore, would it be some kind of creature like the bugs? Or would it be a reborn/infected...uh, staff member(?) that could do it? Maybe one of them could unbirth like the red bug as well. Speaking of that enemy, probably my favorite scene. I got a sudden affinity for TF scenes a while ago, and via unbirth takes it one step further to satisfaction. Anyway, it was really fun going through the game. One question though. What exactly happens when one gets "infested"? Is it like how the parasitized guards are?

Your character is slowly taken over and loses their mind as the infested stat gradually fills. If the infested stat fills completely, game over. There's a special scene if your infested stat reaches max while the green reborn fox enemy kisses you, which isn't hard because her grapple while you're infested frantically speeds up the process.

Edit: Also the DNA unlocks...i think it unlocks the body armor for purchase in the shop. I know the scientist unlocks the ultimate gun upgrade in the shop.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby CykaBlyat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 am

If anyone wants to see, I've started sprite work for the sequel. It's actually going to have story elements in it, and I'm considering making a basic dialogue system.

The screenshots are sprites for the bar the game begins in, as well as status portraits for the pause screen.

I'll also work on the one or two new enemies for a Bug Runner update tonight. I'll add saving since it's been requested.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby SquishySofty » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:09 am

Good to see that you're making a sequel, I'm already loving the game! :-D

Meanwhile I already beat the current game with no upgrades, and then beat the game with 100% map completion.

Post-game discussion
I think it was a little easy because the Larvae enemy never attacks you, unless if you're in the holding pods. I even see the Larvae enemy sprite shows an animation in the files where you're being attacked, but nothing actually happened in game.

A little issue, but I find it strange to shoot horizontally and not all 4 directions. Guess I'm not used to that type of shooting type. :lol: Either way, it doesn't matter.
Most of the enemy rarely pose any threat aside from the facebugs that constantly got me the Shambler ending.

The unbirth bug just legit disappeared once your HP goes to 0, but plays the reborn ending pretty fine. I think there was suppose to be a sprite that shows the player reborn as a reborn fox?

Also, I was kind of expecting to have like a "Mission Complete?" ending when you still have a Larvae that's slowly turning you infested. Or when the player is currently pregnant. :lol:

And speaking of pregnancy, I was hoping if pregnant player slows down your speed and struggle temporary, making the game difficult.

I love how there's a lot of breathing room to go around places once you have a Larvae attached to the player. All of the enemies knows that the player is slowly infested, and there's no point to attack the player. ... Aside from the Parasite Guard and the Queen Bug, which attacks the player no matter if they're infested or not. It's not a "game bug", but I kind of liked it. :-D

Starting a new game after you beat the game won't technically restart the game. It just continues the game that you already beaten (Still in the Countdown sequence). The only way that truly restarts is by shutting down the game.
Not feeling so well, don't expect much of me...
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CykaBlyat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 am

SquishySofty wrote:Good to see that you're making a sequel, I'm already loving the game! :-D

Meanwhile I already beat the current game with no upgrades, and then beat the game with 100% map completion.

Post-game discussion
I think it was a little easy because the Larvae enemy never attacks you, unless if you're in the holding pods. I even see the Larvae enemy sprite shows an animation in the files where you're being attacked, but nothing actually happened in game.

A little issue, but I find it strange to shoot horizontally and not all 4 directions. Guess I'm not used to that type of shooting type. :lol: Either way, it doesn't matter.
Most of the enemy rarely pose any threat aside from the facebugs that constantly got me the Shambler ending.

The unbirth bug just legit disappeared once your HP goes to 0, but plays the reborn ending pretty fine. I think there was suppose to be a sprite that shows the player reborn as a reborn fox?

Also, I was kind of expecting to have like a "Mission Complete?" ending when you still have a Larvae that's slowly turning you infested. Or when the player is currently pregnant. :lol:

And speaking of pregnancy, I was hoping if pregnant player slows down your speed and struggle temporary, making the game difficult.

I love how there's a lot of breathing room to go around places once you have a Larvae attached to the player. All of the enemies knows that the player is slowly infested, and there's no point to attack the player. ... Aside from the Parasite Guard and the Queen Bug, which attacks the player no matter if they're infested or not. It's not a "game bug", but I kind of liked it. :-D

Starting a new game after you beat the game won't technically restart the game. It just continues the game that you already beaten (Still in the Countdown sequence). The only way that truly restarts is by shutting down the game.

I'll look into some of the things you mentioned post game discussion there for the upcoming update. The new game not resetting properly is definitely a bug i didn't notice, and the larvae should attack, not sure why they aren't. Expect a bugfix update tonight or tomorrow night.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby VirtuosoViking » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:13 pm

CykaBlyat wrote:Your character is slowly taken over and loses their mind as the infested stat gradually fills. If the infested stat fills completely, game over. There's a special scene if your infested stat reaches max while the green reborn fox enemy kisses you, which isn't hard because her grapple while you're infested frantically speeds up the process.

Edit: Also the DNA unlocks...i think it unlocks the body armor for purchase in the shop. I know the scientist unlocks the ultimate gun upgrade in the shop.

There is? Is it any different from the "mated" GO? That's all I'm getting when I try, and I got that before. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I did everything in the game, atm. I was just asking what happens to an infected person lore-wise.
Also, any hints on what those two enemies you're working are on? Or are we gonna have to wait?
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby CykaBlyat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:55 pm

VirtuosoViking wrote:
CykaBlyat wrote:Your character is slowly taken over and loses their mind as the infested stat gradually fills. If the infested stat fills completely, game over. There's a special scene if your infested stat reaches max while the green reborn fox enemy kisses you, which isn't hard because her grapple while you're infested frantically speeds up the process.

There is? Is it any different from the "mated" GO? That's all I'm getting when I try, and I got that before. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I did everything in the game, atm. I was just asking what happens to an infected person lore-wise.
Also, any hints on what those two enemies you're working are on? Or are we gonna have to wait?

Ah, i was referring to the mated game over.

And right now I'm at work, so I'm trying to figure out what i want design wise for the two new enemies.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby CykaBlyat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:10 pm

I will say this though, the first content update will be vore themed. The second and likely last, will be more hypnosis/brainwashing and possibly corruption.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby Etherthedrake » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Ooh, another game from you. I'm a bit bummed that development on nomlike has halted, but hey, while we have this, I'm happy! This side project looks really nice, as well. Have played around a bit with it, too.
Hey! I'm just a dessert mouse.
"humans boring. Endo best. Dragons awesome."
Etherthedrake
Somewhat familiar

Postby CykaBlyat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:42 pm

Etherthedrake wrote:Ooh, another game from you. I'm a bit bummed that development on nomlike has halted, but hey, while we have this, I'm happy! This side project looks really nice, as well. Have played around a bit with it, too.

Yeah, i'm trying to figure out how to handle Nomlike. To be fair, though this game is almost a spiritual successor to the old height-map low-res Nomlike, and even reuses a few assets. As for the newer Nomlike version i dubbed 'NightRunner', i've been starting to get ideas of reusing some of the characters and content for Bug Runner, possibly as a playable character and setting in Bug Runner 2.

....I just realized a lot of my project names have "Runner" somewhere in it. Weird.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby CykaBlyat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:41 pm

It's been a long day, working at a walmart lube shop is frantic and tiring, but a cup of coffee, a cozy computer chair, and a stream with some friends on discord make perfect atmosphere for some late night tweaking and patching! I've got 4 directional shooting in, the player's sprite for movement now has 4 directions, though not for lewd animations, and i'm trying to come up with a mock zelda/metroid style save-file screen for loading one of three saves!

I should hopefully have saving done sometime tonight or tomorrow, and after that's done, i'll upload it as a minor update, then work on either the first content pack, or giving enemies extra animations for when the player is infested.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby terrace » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:02 pm

This is definitely a nice game.
I appreciate the open-endedness, especially the fact that, if you wanted to, you could rush the Bug Queen the moment you start (Bug Runner speed-runs when?). The Game Over scenes are also nice... since I feel those are a really good addition to these kinds of games, and they seem kind of underutilized in my experience, so glad to see them at play here.

Overall, looking forward to checking out your other projects, as well as those updates you've been teasing~
terrace
New to the forum

Postby CykaBlyat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 pm

terrace wrote:This is definitely a nice game.
I appreciate the open-endedness, especially the fact that, if you wanted to, you could rush the Bug Queen the moment you start (Bug Runner speed-runs when?). The Game Over scenes are also nice... since I feel those are a really good addition to these kinds of games, and they seem kind of underutilized in my experience, so glad to see them at play here.

Overall, looking forward to checking out your other projects, as well as those updates you've been teasing~

Hehehe, I appreciate it, I've gotta do an oil change on my car tomorrow, but outside of that, i should hopefully have all day to chip away at the next update.
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby CykaBlyat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:27 am

The save file system and menu is 100% complete, with save PCs scattered around the game world, and i fixed the larvae not grabbing the player when they're not infested for some reason. I'm now working on making the game hopefully much more challenging, and also somewhat more interesting.

unknown.png
unknown.png (23.88 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby CykaBlyat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:25 pm

I've gone a bit further with this update than intended, i've gotten complaints that the lewd in this isn't very...well...lewd. So to try to fix that, i'm taking a system from an old other project for fullscreen segmented interpolated animation, that i called the "Motion Engine".

I have an animated GIF here of an experimental build running a test WIP animation of the reborn bug-fox riding the player character:

bugfox_motion.gif

((Hopefully the gif stays animated on upload.))
CykaBlyat
Somewhat familiar

Postby VirtuosoViking » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:14 pm

The preview in the spoiler doesn't move, but if you click on the gif, it will work. And it's looking pretty good. Is that gonna be part of the game over screen or a cut-in when the reborn fox grabs you?
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Next

Return to Vore game