As An Old Memory: RAADD Runner 1.85

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

As An Old Memory: RAADD Runner 1.85

Postby BadlyDrawnDedede » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Hello to all the beautiful people!

I'm making this post not to inform (trust me, I'm still trying to crack that one darn achievement for the guide), but to pose an idea.

If you've read any of my posts, you'll know that I'm the unofficial RAADD Runner guy. More specifically, version 1.85, which is widely considered to be the best of all the many versions, mainly due to the amount of content and all the death/game over screens that are just so freaking good. If you've ever played 1.85, though, you'll know how buggy of a game it is. From digging into the old RAADD thread, I understand that it was due to a problem where the game only had a certain amount of ample memory, meaning that if said limit was overloaded, the game crashed. For those playing, I'm sure you've most likely encountered it when dying to a certain enemy or picking up a boss chest.

Despite that limitation, the game was fantastic. To this day, it still remains my favorite vore game to play, as does for many people. After 1.85, the game was completely changed, built from the ground up as a reimagining of the first couple versions. While the game still holds value, it still never compared to the awesomeness of 1.85...

But I'm not here to whine and complain; I'm here to give an idea, despite it being totally crazy and out of the cards: a remake of RAADD Runner 1.85. That's right, all of the original greatness from the game, but with some tweaks here and there to make it even better!

So what would it include? Well, all the original biomes, enemies, gameplay, items, etc. that 1.85 had. I do, however, have a couple improvements that, if the impossible were to come true, I would love to see:

1) A fix to tech biome enemies- I'm talking about the robo-ganger and ninja enemies. The game over screen for the robo-ganger is glitched to where it doesn't appear, and the ninja enemy was intentionally left out due to technical issues. For the fix, if possible, iron out the bugs in the robo-ganger, and use the current sprites for the ninja. You wouldn't have to rework the game over screen, as that is already in the game's files.

2) Memory stuff- Although I'm not 100% sure, I've heard through the grapevine that the more modern versions of RAADD use a different engine. If that is the case, then the memory of the game could possibly expanded. Even if the problem isn't completely obsoleted, being able to have more RAM would be a huge improvement over the original 1.85!

3) Gallery images- I'm going to be honest here, getting the last 5 or so gallery images is a total pain in the rear end. The images you get during the game are determined by random chance, so by the time you're down to 1 or 2 images, you only have a .02 or .01 chance of getting the image you need. This is probably the least of my worries when it comes to adjustments, but, again, if possible, change the chance for getting a new image.

The only other thing I can think is that the vampire's unbirth game over screen displays the oral game over screen, but all that's required there is an image swap. As I've mentioned before, I don't think this is going to happen, since all the major team members for RAADD are off working on other projects. It's just wishful thinking at this point... besides, I'm no programmer, so I couldn't imagine how hard ironing out bugs and stuff could be. If anything, I'd probably look like a spoiled brat in the eye's of the creators!

But what about everyone else? Tell me below what you think about a RAADD Runner 1.85 remake! What would you keep, and what would you fix?

That's all for now folks! I'll write the achievement guide as soon as I find what the heck that one darn achievement is! Until then, rock on, and have a fantastic day!
Bang! Bang! Bang! Pull my Devil Trigger!
BadlyDrawnDedede
Somewhat familiar

Re: As An Old Memory: RAADD Runner 1.85

Postby gorgonzoladealer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Sure go for it. I liked the idea of Raad and I wouldn't mind playing an updated version.
gorgonzoladealer
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby UBFanDrake » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:27 pm

i cant find 1.85 anywhere does anyone still have it?
UBFanDrake
Participator

Postby BepisBepis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:29 pm

While the original RAADD had a lot of cool features, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for a remake is because it got too big for its britches. It was probably a huge undertaking for what I think was a small team. I'm not sure if they still plan to bring over old features to the modern builds, it's hard to tell if it's still in constant progress. ...though if the crashings could be fixed it would be amazing.

Still, unless you want to make RAADD from the ground up AGAIN, you would probably need the source code, and therefore the original creator's blessings.
BepisBepis
Been posting for a bit

Postby BadlyDrawnDedede » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 pm

UBFanDrake wrote:i cant find 1.85 anywhere does anyone still have it?

https://mega.nz/folder/1h0WWQiB#mbHrQUJ ... r/011ThChY

This link should take you to the folder where 1.85 is. I've had people tell me that it doesn't install on their computer, so don't expect it to be a 100% success. If it works, happy gaming!
BadlyDrawnDedede
Somewhat familiar

Postby UBFanDrake » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:00 pm

BadlyDrawnDedede wrote:
UBFanDrake wrote:i cant find 1.85 anywhere does anyone still have it?

https://mega.nz/folder/1h0WWQiB#mbHrQUJ ... r/011ThChY

This link should take you to the folder where 1.85 is. I've had people tell me that it doesn't install on their computer, so don't expect it to be a 100% success. If it works, happy gaming!

thanks i hope it's the version where the book lets you view the vore types each enemy has

EDIT: install isn't working due to error trying to open the files to read/write
UBFanDrake
Participator

Postby formaldehyde » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:09 pm

just a heads up. if u use a tool that lets you edit win32pe programs on the .exe and edit header info, u can switch on a bit that lets the program use >2gb address space. iirc that can help mitigate or at least postpone crashes if u got lots of ram, i remember having to do this with one version of raadd and it helped bigtime. i used a program called cff explorer to do it.

its simple and is a good thing to try if u got lots of ram but a programs still having memory issues ive had it work before on other video games even ones i bought off steam.

visual guide to doing it. feel free to save and hand this one out.
formaldehyde
Been posting for a bit

Postby lapraslunch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 am

BepisBepis wrote:Still, unless you want to make RAADD from the ground up AGAIN, you would probably need the source code, and therefore the original creator's blessings.

Tbh, I know enough code and programming that I think I could manage to at least fix the out of memory crashes, soo... If I was to be allowed access to the game's source code, I would be willing to take a crack at it. Not sure I would be able to do much more than that, but.. Eh, it would be fun to try at least.

That being said, if someone else with more skills were to take up the project, I would be grateful to them as well~ :) Either way though.. it would be nice if there was a good way to contact Eatme about this idea.. I mean, the worst they could do is say "No", right?
lapraslunch
Somewhat familiar

Postby eatme1234 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 am

lapraslunch wrote:
BepisBepis wrote:Still, unless you want to make RAADD from the ground up AGAIN, you would probably need the source code, and therefore the original creator's blessings.

Tbh, I know enough code and programming that I think I could manage to at least fix the out of memory crashes, soo... If I was to be allowed access to the game's source code, I would be willing to take a crack at it. Not sure I would be able to do much more than that, but.. Eh, it would be fun to try at least.

That being said, if someone else with more skills were to take up the project, I would be grateful to them as well~ :) Either way though.. it would be nice if there was a good way to contact Eatme about this idea.. I mean, the worst they could do is say "No", right?

Unfortunately ever since I switched over to Unity, I no longer have the raadd game maker files. If you want, after I release Krystal, I could make Unity's raadd open source, so anyone is free to modify/change/add/remove things as they see fit.

Before switching over to Unity, I did try to fix the out of memory errors. It seems that error is something that is in Game Maker's code itself, but it's also a bit my fault with how terrain was generated. You had these large images (that could be as big as 12000 pixels wide) that would load in the game, appear, then once it was offscreen it would destroy itself and the game would have to load a new picture. Despite the old picture being unloaded, it would still somehow stay in memory, as if it was waiting to be loaded again. No matter how good your computer was, eventually it would reach Game Maker's Memory limit, causing the error to appear. Another reason why I switched over was due to the fact that compiling the game would take a good 5-7 minutes (the obstacles were all external files, meaning it wasn't that causing the long load times), so when I'd get to a point where I had to constantly test an enemy's mechanics, it would take hours.
eatme1234
Participator

Postby BadlyDrawnDedede » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:46 am

eatme1234 wrote:Unfortunately ever since I switched over to Unity, I no longer have the raadd game maker files. If you want, after I release Krystal, I could make Unity's raadd open source, so anyone is free to modify/change/add/remove things as they see fit.

Oh shoot, I didn't even realize you were still working on RAADD! Do you have an approximate date on when the latest version will launch? Or is it more of a "play it by ear" sort of thing?
BadlyDrawnDedede
Somewhat familiar

Postby lapraslunch » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 am

eatme1234 wrote:
lapraslunch wrote:

Unfortunately ever since I switched over to Unity, I no longer have the raadd game maker files. If you want, after I release Krystal, I could make Unity's raadd open source, so anyone is free to modify/change/add/remove things as they see fit.

Before switching over to Unity, I did try to fix the out of memory errors. It seems that error is something that is in Game Maker's code itself, but it's also a bit my fault with how terrain was generated. You had these large images (that could be as big as 12000 pixels wide) that would load in the game, appear, then once it was offscreen it would destroy itself and the game would have to load a new picture. Despite the old picture being unloaded, it would still somehow stay in memory, as if it was waiting to be loaded again. No matter how good your computer was, eventually it would reach Game Maker's Memory limit, causing the error to appear. Another reason why I switched over was due to the fact that compiling the game would take a good 5-7 minutes (the obstacles were all external files, meaning it wasn't that causing the long load times), so when I'd get to a point where I had to constantly test an enemy's mechanics, it would take hours.

Oh! My apologies.. I didn't realize you were still working on RAADD either, tbh... ^^;; Of course.. Knowing that, I wouldn't want to pressure you into releasing it open source if you don't want to.. Afterall, it is still your work and I wouldn't want to take that away from you in any way, shape, or form. But.. I suppose if you are willing to do so.. Well, I wouldn't say no to that either. ^^;
As for the reason behind the crashes.. Heh, seems like I was on the right track, but WAAAAAAAY off with my theory as to what the actual problem was. And yeah.. I can definitely understand how having to wait so long on each compile would have been a real drain on one's energy.
lapraslunch
Somewhat familiar

Return to Vore game