Visual Novel - Vore game (help)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Visual Novel - Vore game (help)

Postby Lollipop420b » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:57 pm

Hey guys, I'm really want to try to make a visual novel game in Renpy revolving around a few basic mechanics, but I need help finding the right tutorials to make this happen, as I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to custom scripts and coding in general

If anyone here has played "Love and Sex: second base" I want to create a game with pretty similar mechanics to that, but focusing around finding people you'd want to use/eat rather than have sex with. I know that it's also made in Renpy. The mechanics I'm mainly want to make are the following:

- Weekly and Monthly calendar: For timed events and encounters

- Cellphone: To keep track of scheduled events, progress and character stats. (Could also be used to contact other characters)

- Map: To navigate areas. Some areas possibly being unlocked after certain flags/time have been activated

- Stats: for both the main character and other characters to offer the possibility of multiple progressions.

I already know some stuff about how to create stats, but extra resources wouldn't hurt.

If I'm able to create a good game it will be available for free! I'm also willing to trade commissions for help. I appreciate any and all help. I'm prepared to put down the time to learn how to work this out, I just need direction as to where to look to learn these things.
Lollipop420b
New to the forum

Re: Visual Novel - Vore game (help)

Postby Bright » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby GooInABox » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:32 pm

I messed around with Renpy as well a couple of years ago, and made a couple of simple linear storylines. If you're looking to dive into using that program, here's some advice:

1.) Python
--Learn it. This is the code that Renpy runs off of, and knowing how to construct basic methods, loops, variables, and everything else will be essential to being able to quickly convert what's in your head to something tangible rather than trying to spend a couple of minutes (or even hours) trying to figure out how to make the program do what you want it to do. You don't have to become an expert or learn it by heart right away; an hour or two of Khan academy, YouTube, or something else that teaches the basics will suffice and you can always look things up on the fly until you no longer need to.

2.) Documentation
--Here's the Renpy documentation: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/ If you want to figure out how to do something, it might be in there. Google is also your friend if you don't want to search for a needle in that haystack.

3.) Gameplay loop first, dialog later.
--You might be tempted to write the fluff and dialog immediately, and then focus on the bells and whistles of how the game functions later. I would suggest keeping the dialog simple or even stick with placeholders until you've got the foundation for how the game will loop (in your case, get the calendar, map, cellphone, and statistics mechanics working first). There's nothing like writing an entire scene, and then having to go back for major revisions because it no longer fits with the mechanics that you just implemented (and also sitting through 20 lines of fluff over and over while you're trying to test if a mechanic works or not gets a little tedious). I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Good luck!
GooInABox
Participator

Postby daeway » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:03 pm

If I may, can the player be female?
daeway
Participator

Postby Lollipop420b » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Thanks! The content is still a bit advanced for me, but this is a great place to start :D
Lollipop420b
New to the forum

Postby Lollipop420b » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:32 pm

GooInABox wrote:I messed around with Renpy as well a couple of years ago, and made a couple of simple linear storylines. If you're looking to dive into using that program, here's some advice:

1.) Python
--Learn it. This is the code that Renpy runs off of, and knowing how to construct basic methods, loops, variables, and everything else will be essential to being able to quickly convert what's in your head to something tangible rather than trying to spend a couple of minutes (or even hours) trying to figure out how to make the program do what you want it to do. You don't have to become an expert or learn it by heart right away; an hour or two of Khan academy, YouTube, or something else that teaches the basics will suffice and you can always look things up on the fly until you no longer need to.

2.) Documentation
--Here's the Renpy documentation: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/ If you want to figure out how to do something, it might be in there. Google is also your friend if you don't want to search for a needle in that haystack.

3.) Gameplay loop first, dialog later.
--You might be tempted to write the fluff and dialog immediately, and then focus on the bells and whistles of how the game functions later. I would suggest keeping the dialog simple or even stick with placeholders until you've got the foundation for how the game will loop (in your case, get the calendar, map, cellphone, and statistics mechanics working first). There's nothing like writing an entire scene, and then having to go back for major revisions because it no longer fits with the mechanics that you just implemented (and also sitting through 20 lines of fluff over and over while you're trying to test if a mechanic works or not gets a little tedious). I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Good luck!

These are great tips! I started up learning python now over on Codeacademy. It's the best free provider I could find. You don't happen to know any better resources for learning python which are free?
Lollipop420b
New to the forum

Postby Lollipop420b » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:38 pm

daeway wrote:If I may, can the player be female?

The idea is for the player to be able to choose their gender, so yeah. I hope so
Lollipop420b
New to the forum

Postby GooInABox » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Lollipop420b wrote:These are great tips! I started up learning python now over on Codeacademy. It's the best free provider I could find. You don't happen to know any better resources for learning python which are free?

I know of Computer Science Circles over at https://cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/ . However, I should note that normal Python and Renpy aren't always 1:1 in terms of how to do things (for example, in Python you would use the print() statement to display words, but Renpy has its own different way of displaying narration).
GooInABox
Participator

Return to Vore game