Merlovinit Work-in-progress thread (M/M softvore)

Are you looking for a place to post your work, hoping to receive comments, suggestions and criticisms? If so, this forum is for you! Showcase your stories, drawings, animations, and anything else you have created here. You can even upload your files directly to our site! Note: Everyone is free to share opinions of anything here. If you can't handle criticism, refrain from posting here!
Forum rules
This section is for any artist, writer, animator, or any form of creation to share their work in order to receive comment to improve themselves better.

Read the rules in detail here

Read the Critiquing suggestion here

Please open only one thread per person. Detail here.

Merlovinit Work-in-progress thread (M/M softvore)

Postby merlovinit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:45 am

Hi,

I have a gallery here, but it takes a long time for me to finish decent artworks. I guess its mostly just sorta lonely when I don't have something new to post. I'll post my WIPs in here, as a teaser for the final versions and also just to criticize it and talk about trying to improve as an artist. If you have any suggestions or criticisms, feel free to share them. :wink:

I'm currently starting a comic/sequence that will feature the new pedator I came up with, Alistair.

Info about Alistair (from the submission)
Spoiler: show
Alistair is a very powerful mage that seeks out magic users and devours them, gaining their magical energy in the process. He has gained most of his power this way. One unexpected side effect of this is that he has become ravenously hungry, and generally eats another person at least once per day. Even if he cannot find a magic user, such as today, he will still have his routine feeding. Today, he chooses the most appetizing guy that crosses paths with him.

It's unusual for a mage to possess the ability to manipulate matter as well as Alistair can. In this scene he has conjured bands of energy that restict his meal's movement. He is also causing his victim to levitate. Alistair can swallow him without even needing to raise his arms. Instead he lets his gut hang freely, relaxed and ready to be filled.

Relaxing and digesting his food overnight will console him for not having found any magic users that day. Alistair can sense magic from miles away, and the range increases temporarily if he hasn't eaten for too long, accompanied by increasing hunger. When he doesn't sense anyone, he follows rumors or searches known areas for magic users.

Alistair has a bored personality. He almost never feels threatened by any situation. He enjoys eating but doesn't usually taunt his victims. He is very efficient, and makes it as hard as possible for captives to escape from him. He often explains the tactical errors of magic users before he eats them, revealing how he was able to defeat them. No-one is sure why he does this, because his prey will never be able to use the advice.

The prey is a really innocent and friendly Druid boy. The first pic establishes what the Druid character is like, before Alistair finds him.

I'm pretty happy with the scene layout. The character's lineart needs to be fixed up a lot. The arms and hands are too big and the feet might be too small. I also want to make his chest/abs seem a little less buff, because he was originally supposed to be on the thin side. I like the face and hair, but the hair might need more definition and he needs better eyebrows. The hands obviously have to be redrawn but it usually takes me 10+ tries to get a decent looking hand.

I also want to have him casting a spell that is causing the flowers to grow. I sort of tried it here, but it doesn't look too great.

Overall the series will be much more high quality than any of my previous work. It will probably take a few weeks to complete if I'm being totally honest though T_T
Attachments
druid2.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Re: Merlovinit Work-in-progress thread (M/M softvore)

Postby merlovinit » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 am

It's me again. First off, I made a lot of changes to the original image. I made his legs larger in proportion to his torso. I redid the arms completely, and the hands. The fucking hands! It took ages to get those right.

The lineart could be touched up some more, but I don't know how much is really worth doing. I still want to redo some of the musculature in his chest and torso, but I'm taking a break from this panel to start working on the next panel. I haven't decided how I want to do the shading. I could do a more typical anime style cell shading, which is fast and easy. Or I can try to shade with gradients, which can define the shapes more clearly and make the characters look kinda shiny, like how I did it for the series "Tristan Consumes a Boy." I'll probably try both and see what looks better.

It took about an hour to sketch out the basics for the second panel. The druid will stand up and look behind him as Alistair is approaching from the distance, with a little mischief in mind. ;)

merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:10 am

Today I've started work on three more images in the sequence. I haven't drawn in a while so its been a little difficult. Alistair is pictured here without hair or clothing. I think he's definitely looking too feminine at the moment. It can be hard to draw fat men without making them look like women, especially from the side. I'm going to have to figure out what the mistakes are. I like how the prey is looking though.

If anyone has tips for drawing fat men while making them look like men I'd really appreciate it.

This first picture is the one where the pred looks way too feminine.

merlovinit
Participator

Postby Emperor_Palpatine » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:21 am

Yes. Yes to everything about this.
http://aryion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15662 /RP preferences

Walk in the room and I know they all know man
If they don't know, put on a little show
Emperor_Palpatine
Heavy user

Postby merlovinit » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:21 am

Emperor_Palpatine wrote:Yes. Yes to everything about this.

Yay, glad someone likes it ^_^

I fixed up the first sketch from earlier and laid down base colors. The colors really help to see things better, although the unfortunate thing is that I see a ton of mistakes that have to be fixed. This morning I was really hoping that I would get further than this. :/

My boyfriend is coming back home tomorrow so it will be hard to find time to work on this. He says he doesn't care but I think I would be way too embarassed to draw this stuff around him. I'll try and make some time for it though...

merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:19 am

This is the most challenging pose I've ever tried to draw. It took a very long time to draw the sketch and then I did colors really lazily. I just wanted to see how it looks. I definitely need to put some more love into that back because it seems just a bit too thick for the druid boy. Also the butt just looks terrible. It also doesn't really look like he is going into Alistair's mouth. I need to maybe add some definition to represent lips? Not sure exactly how I'm going to fix that. Alistair should be looking down at the boy and also have a more expressive look on his face.

I am somewhat happy with the scale, but things feel a little bit out of proportion compared to the earlier panels where the size difference wasnt as large. So yeah, this panel is going to need some major re-working.

Attachments
gulping1.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 am

I don't have time to write a post about this but its definitely improved. The biggest difference is that I made Alistair less of a giant, more in line with the other panels.There are still some issues like the eyes, but its almost done!

I've also made the prey a little bit too thick again. Gonna try and slim his waist a little.

Attachments
gulping2.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:08 am

More slow progress. At least it's faster than before. Working on two new panels.

This first one needs so much work that it's tempting to scrap and start the whole thing over again. The butt and legs just look wrong. They look better than the first 2-3 times I drew them, but something about them is just off and I'm not sure what. Otherwise Alistair's head looks odd as well and his arms and hands are tiny in comparison the the rest of his body.

I briefly messed around with trying to make an outline of the prey's face visible in Alistair's stomach. It's something I still want to experiment with, but it didn't look good the first time I tried.

gulping3.jpg

Second is an internal shot. This may be the only internal shot I do for this series, although I'm undecided. I keep adding way more panels that I was originally supposed to have. At some point I need to cut myself off and get this sequence finished. The druid boy discovers a harrowing surprise as he is forced into Alistair's hungry belly: the last remnants of a previous meal. This causes the reality of his predicament to set in, and he starts to cry.

This is a rough sketch with a lot of issues, but in terms of the pose nothing crazy is really going on. I don't think it will be too hard to fix it up.
druidstomach.jpg

There will be about two or three more panels in this sequence for sure, but I'm hoping that within the next week all the lineart will be finished and then I'll start figuring out how to get everything colored.
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:49 am

I sketched out some more panels. Need to start thinking about how to draw more efficiently because I want my comics to be detailed. I'm trying to draw Alistair's entire body less in the later shots because you've already gotten to see it. I'm pretty happy with how the digestion is. I want it to be fast and violent. I'm trying to make the sound-text more immersive with the font.
Attachments
bigpanel.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:19 am

Alistair removed the skin-tight pants as he gulped his meal down. The boy struggled uselessly as he slid into Alistair's tummy, but his cursing wouldn't change his fate. Now he was just a piece of food.

I'm so happy with this panel. I think it's the hottest one so far. I just wanted to share it since it came out so nice.
Attachments
9.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Is Alistair actually complementing his victim? He promises to make it fast so the boy doesn't have to suffer for long. I don't think the druid agrees that this is an act of mercy!

Something still feels off about the internal sketch, but I'm not sure what it is yet.
Attachments
10.jpg
11.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:33 pm

I've been dreading this panel for a while but I finally sketched it out. The way that Alistair captures the druid is by creating this magical vine plant that grabs him before the boy realizes what is going on. I'm pretty happy with it but there are some small issues that I can see already.
Attachments
2_1.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 am

ARGGHH SO CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED SKETCHING ALL THE PANELS

I did more drawing today than I have ever done in one day and the results were good but I need to stop for the night.

I have about 5 more to go.... I'll get there soon. I probably wont post the last few in this thread because I want them to be a surprise. Then it will be onto the polishing which hopefully won't take quite as long as the sketching did.

So for the comic-style panel with 4 different shots. I'm super happy with Alistair casting the spell. The plants bursting out of the ground is OK but I need to do better effects. The surprised face is just a generic panel that is needed to connect the story. The last one with the sillhouette isn't very good. I need to work a lot more on that one.

Also bonus: flat colors for the panel from earlier.
Attachments
bigpanel2.jpg
2_1.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:53 am

Alistair's design is evolving as I work through these panels, but I'm going to have to go back to previously finished lineart and update the design. Alistair has been getting prettier as I work on these, whereas his face was a little more angular at first. I hope it wont take too long to fix these issues, but it's definitely a setback.
Attachments
9_1.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:51 am

Still alive, believe it or not. I got depressed for a while and couldn't bring myself to put any effort into this. However, I've been starting to feel a bit better and managed to get some more work done. Here's an example of the quality level I'm aiming for, but I still need to touch up the hands and redo the feet. And it's not shaded yet, but that actually goes by pretty quickly compared to the lineart.

EDIT: Finally sketched out the basics of the remaining panels, so I now have a rough sketch for at least every panel. It's still going to be a long time before I finish, but at least now I can see how the whole comic will be. Btw... this comic is pretty brutal lol
Attachments
close.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:13 am

The finish line is in sight, but there are a few major consistency issues that need to be resolved first. Alistair's design has changed a lot throughout the course of me drawing this comic. So much that the original side profile images looked like a totally different character from his frontal shots.

I like the way he looks from the front. I think he's much sexier with a softer, cute face. Plus it's hot to see a more guilt-free expression as he eats and digests his prey.

Because of this, I had to re-draw his head from the side. This new design matches up more closely with the one that I had before. It's not perfect though, and when looking at a front and side view I don't think it's completely obvious that they are the same character. So I may still need to do some changes. I also added his tongue slurping up the druid's arm, but I'm not happy with the way it looks yet.

Besides this, there are two other panels which need major reworking due to the fact that there are some seriously wrong proportions in comparison to the rest of the comic. It's frustrating to go back and change things that I worked really hard on before, but transitioning through the pages just doesn't feel like a cohesive experience right now.

In the attached image the top row is the front view, which I like. The second row is the angular faces that I got rid of, and the third row is the new faces.
Attachments
aliscomp.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 am

There was so much wrong with this panel I had to almost completely redo it. Fortunately it looks infinitely better now. It has gone from a panel that I sorta hated to being one of the best ones (even though its not really close to being finished). There is still one panel left that is a bit of a train-wreck, which I might have to redraw it completely. Not sure yet.
Attachments
gulpdownprogress.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 am

Hey everyone. This is just a heads up that my comic is finally going live. So far about half the pages have been uploaded. You can find them all here!
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Fri May 19, 2017 2:18 am

Just finishing up the sketch for the final panel now. It won't be done today, but I wanted to show it off because I like it ^^ Alistair looks so happy haha
Attachments
15.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Postby merlovinit » Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 am

Even though I'm supposed to be finishing the last Alistair panel, I ended up drawing this instead ^^; I've had this idea for a long time for an anal vore picture. I think it's good so far but it still needs a lot of work before it will be finished. I plan on completely redoing both of their faces and there are still some other issues to fix as well.

I am trying to use color in a better way. I feel happy with my Alistair comic, but I think the colors are too weird and contrasting. Hopefully this drawing will look a bit more consistent and also more warm and intimate because of the colors.
Attachments
analvore1.jpg
merlovinit
Participator

Next

Return to Work to be shared!