Twine vs Quest?

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Twine vs Quest?

Postby Midir » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 pm

So I wanna dig more into the text games. But I am not talking about regular interactive stories, I want to try making more versatile games where the NPCs would show some decision making capabilities, and scenes would be at least partially map independent.

I know about two game engines which I like so far, both open source. Twine boasts being free as in freedom as well, though I didn't compare the licenses...Quest has MIT License which is basically "do whatever you like".

So this is what I got so far:

Twine 2 (Sugarcube 2)
Lets you manipulate passages/pages. Each passage may represent a room, or simply a certain point in narration. Makes normal storytelling rather easy, however apparently the system can be used for a dungeon exploration style game as well.
Javascript and jquery in particular, apparently you can import any other javascript library as well.
You have to format your text with macros, however you can create your own macros too. You can pretty much script anything you like with JS as well.
Source code in JavaScript and HTML, which means I can just upload it wherever I like and It's gonna be playable - in any (modern) browser, on any OS.

Quest 5
You operate on the level of rooms and objects.
The game has pre-made user interface, which on one hand means I do not have to write one on my own, and on another hand means it might be hard to change it in case I have to?
Supports Javascript scripting and customization however I do not know to what extend I can customize it? What if I want to create a completely new object type and call it "SCENE" - can I do it within the default customization options or do I have to bother with the source code for this?
Source code in C#. Now, I know C#. And it probably means that the editor probably won't lag too much at least...

So, what engine would you recommend? Maybe you have tried coding on one or both of them? Maybe there are other engines you like? I heard about RAGS but it's commercial and not opensource so I am kind of suspicious about it.

I will try doing some small games on Quest just to see if it is as smooth as I want it to be, but I am really bothered about the customizability...does anyone know if it is easy to tinker it the way you like or it would be a problem?
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Twine vs Quest?

Postby zer0s » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pm

I have done some work testing and trying out Quest to build a game. At the most basic level it is very easy to use, you can get away with doing no real scripting and make a basic game. If you have at least a basic understanding of Javascript or a similar language, you will be able to do all kinds of things. I have not tried customizing the UI other than the options in the editor, but I have seen it done before.

It has two object types, rooms that the player can go into and objects that appear and can be interacted with. Rooms can also be objects if you want them to. Adding another type would mean you have to edit the source code a lot, but in my experience I do not see a reason for another type. Rooms can be used as containers for objects and other rooms, and objects can be moved from room to room.

I am not familiar with Twine.
zer0s
New to the forum

Re: Twine vs Quest?

Postby dosdose » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:35 pm

For ease of use I use RPG Maker MV. Sure it's tailored to build RPGs but it can be suited to doing a text adventure. I use a few baseline graphics provided to provide the visual representation while allowing for the text box to actually describe what's there. For example I've been using an animated fire graphic to show placement of interactive objects and the text box would explain what it is and then use a choice box to allow for certain interactions. I have sign graphic that I place to allow for flavor text when activated.

Making maps is super easy and I just use one tile graphic that represents a path that can be taken whilst using the sign to explain what the path looks like.

I've tried quest for a couple days and liked it but RPG Maker oddly enough is way more suited to the kind of text adventure i'm building and has a lot of systems in place already that make it easy for me to build it with little programming knowledge. But it isn't free so I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you.
dosdose
New to the forum

Return to Vore game