Gender Options in Games

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Which Do You Prefer?

I Prefer Having a Option to Choose
37%
I Prefer Playing a Female
32%
I Prefer Playing a Male
15%
I Prefer Playing a Trans, Non Binary, Ect
2%
I Am Indifferent, It Won't Effect How I Enjoy a Game
14%

Total votes : 296

Re: Gender Options in Games

Postby Foxymew » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:51 am

What generalr said is probably what I'd put the most weight on. At the very least, you'd have to write one different scene for every gender you've added, for most things. And I guess that could work if you have enough writers for it, but if you don't really have people who can dedicate to that, it might simply be too much work and too easily something that could get thrown to the wayside. And even then, you'd basically be forced to either write more scenes for different kind of personalities, or force everyone to have a protagonist with one personality, which kind of takes away from the whole 'important to roleplay' aspect.
Are you working alone? How many projects have you started, and how many have been considered completed? You might not want to get in over your head. It's easy to get burned out if you have to keep way too many things into consideration. Not only working on game balance, world and plot, but keep track of 3 or even more personalities and how they've interacted with the world.
Foxymew
Been posting for a bit

Postby ian66613 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am

I prefer being male, as I am male. But I don't like being the predator, so yeah.
Ideal Vore Games · Vore Preferences · My OC (4 inch (10cm) fairy boy.)
I am NOT into Furries/Bestial/Animals.
ian66613
---

Postby jasamprn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

generalr said it best. If you are telling a characters story, theres no 'need' for that character to have options.

If it's a 2nd person roleplay? It might honestly be easier to make /multiple entire games/ then get enough choice in a RPGmaker game. Only attempt if you are a skilled writer with a lot of time/motivation to write the sameish scenes with a bunch of different perspectives.

Incidently, when the option is there, I tend to pick whatever seems most intresting based on the game. Which is seldom my own gender. For something like Trials of Tainted space I'll just go with as meny parts as possible to get scene access >.>;
jasamprn
Somewhat familiar

Postby xmarkx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:53 pm

I prefer my character and most characters being male but I think the logical choice will be the ability to choose. That way you can satisfy everyone
xmarkx
Somewhat familiar

Postby DrakeZephyr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:04 pm

I know the feeling, Only one game I've been working on has had gender options, but, maybe I'm just bad at making games, but (for rpgmaker) it's been near doubling the work for dialogue event coding. Admittedly I'm going the route of two different characters, over same character, but editing sprite and images. Real, interactive images would be a tonne more work that way. It's always a nice touch to make it a choosable thing, but, the only time its practical, is in games where it's so little work you might as well, but that's also when it's the least important. Me, I'm coming to the conclusion it might be better to either leave it ambiguous (not to please everyone, but to reduce complaining) or just pick the one you feel suits the character best, make that game, and tell anyone who can't get past it, to make a game of their own.
DrakeZephyr
Been posting for a bit

Postby b5n » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm

could you character be a pred in the game
b5n
Somewhat familiar

Postby MarinLaFey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Honestly, I thinking if you're creating a game for the community, just focus on one specific sex for pred and prey, and just make a lot of content for it.

If you spread yourself thin, you're just going to have a lot of content, but spread out, so not everyone will see it. Because people will avoid what doesn't appeal to them.

If you want to do a lot of work, best to focus it, ya know? I'm not saying that you should avoid diversifying something, but unless you're super awesome at making and doling everything out equally, someone is going to feel left out.
MarinLaFey
Somewhat familiar

Postby sinsnail » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Last edited by sinsnail on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinsnail
Been posting for a bit

Postby DarkPinkie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 am

Personally between one game dev to another, stick with the option that fits your creative vision. There is benefits to being able to chose gender, but there is also downsides. Probably more downsides than you imagine.

For one having both genders will force you to write the character as generic as possible to have both options fit for each scene or you would have to basically make two entirely different games, one for each gender. If you stick with one gender you can give the main character more personality, a deeper backstory and generally be a more likable character. It will however be less inclusive I will have to admit. Compromising the creative vision for inclusivity alone is IMO a bad thing.

But this is your choice. Make the one you think will be best for you.

P.S: I think a good chunk of those that voted for choosing gender did it because they are afraid they won't get to play as the gender of their preference rather than a willingness to play the game as both and seeing the differences.
I'm currently a developer for Lurking Lizard Studios currently developing Predator's Coliseum.
We also have a public Discord chat!
DarkPinkie
---

Postby fsdbiu2346y8 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

It should honestly be about the creator's vision. If they feel like the game would play out the same way with either gender and it would stay true to the game's purpose then it's fine if that's their option. If they feel like it might be better by having a MC that was a specific gender then they shouldn't be looked down upon because of it.
As well, even in a situation where the game wouldn't change between genders and a game creator chooses a gender specifically to their own taste it shouldn't be looked down upon. This is a person making their own game, spending their time and their effort for it. If they want to do something with their game then they have every right to do so (unless being commissioned).
fsdbiu2346y8
Participator

Previous

Return to Vore game