Vore War V39

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vore War V12G

Postby Jazzumness » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:09 pm

A lot of new sprites are coming out
Will the finished ones be added next patch or are they all going to be added at once when every race has a new sprite
Jazzumness
Somewhat familiar

Postby SubZero156 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:40 am

GreenSlime wrote:Yeah, I definitely did.

So here's the standard frame of the harpy. The thing of the head is feathery crest which i didn't start spriting yet. Things are gonna get... layer-y.

so good she looks kinda of like a raptor with her claws and 'feet'
SubZero156
Participator

Postby Turbotowns » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:55 am

Aurilika wrote:They'll be implemented relatively soon. I want to get an alternate palette swapping thing in that will allow for better looking colors, and that might require a little bit of reworking for the sprites, and then I'll probably start working on them. Greenslime said something about a style mismatch, but I could have the new sprites as optional until they're all done (or maybe forever optional if there's demand)

Definitely an option, I thought to myself, that I'll probably miss my slime queen design, and might want to replay as them sometime. And just keeping an older version would lock me out of fixes and features subsequent versions would have.
Turbotowns
???

Postby SubZero156 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:17 am

hello i got a idea how about one of those white jelly fish queen
SubZero156
Participator

Postby DollyFailFail » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 am

As a note, the Vagrants aren't actually meant to be white, they're supposed to be different pale crystalline colors. For some reason their color wasn't altered at all from the template in game, and I just figured it was minor enough to ignore.

Also, the idea I had when making them was that they didn't have a queen, so much as they just begin to get much bigger after coming down, and because of that they can't fly any more, so they have to return to the sea or they'll get beached.
Heyyyy! I don't think we've met before. I'm just your average Punk Girl ehehehe!!
DollyFailFail
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SubZero156 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:35 am

failbird105 wrote:As a note, the Vagrants aren't actually meant to be white, they're supposed to be different pale crystalline colors. For some reason their color wasn't altered at all from the template in game, and I just figured it was minor enough to ignore.

Also, the idea I had when making them was that they didn't have a queen, so much as they just begin to get much bigger after coming down, and because of that they can't fly any more, so they have to return to the sea or they'll get beached.

ok
SubZero156
Participator

Postby Turbotowns » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 am

New bug: when I edit the map while a game is going, it fucks up my income(for the slimes, and it doesn't matter what race I am)... Wait... Is it resetting the population(to default)?!
IT IS! We-he-hell... I can't tweak the map with THIS issue around... XD
Turbotowns
???

Postby Aurilika » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:00 pm

GreenSlime wrote:By the way, are the color palettes in one place somewhere, or are they spread across the code? if there's color rework i'd like to get my hands on them to match colors better.

Oh, and it's a good thing alternate palettes are coming. I think i miiiiight have overdid it with harpies...

They are all in the Assets/Scripts/Utility/ColorMap.cs, I had 25 named colors, and then it eventually started devolving into just manually specifying colors for some of the later lists as there's only so many colors you can easily name, plus they're often unique enough to only be used once.

After several hours of research and a few hours of tinkering, I've got the color palettes option supported. I don't have anything that uses it yet, but the fundamentals are there. I'm leaving both as an option, because there are some sprites where just shifting the colors is enough (like banners), and setting up an array of colors for each sprite is more complicated than just setting up a single color. Right now it shifts based on the red value of a pixel, 0-255, so you have up to a 256 color palette of shiftable pixels(each being replaced by a specified other color). That being said, I don't expect most sprites to use more than 10 or so.

Jazzumness wrote:A lot of new sprites are coming out
Will the finished ones be added next patch or are they all going to be added at once when every race has a new sprite

I'll start working on them somewhat soon as there's some other stuff I want to get done first, but they'll probably be available as I get them in.

Turbotowns wrote:Definitely an option, I thought to myself, that I'll probably miss my slime queen design, and might want to replay as them sometime. And just keeping an older version would lock me out of fixes and features subsequent versions would have.

Okay, I'll make sure the old options stay in there, it would only be a tiny amount of extra work.

failbird105 wrote:As a note, the Vagrants aren't actually meant to be white, they're supposed to be different pale crystalline colors. For some reason their color wasn't altered at all from the template in game, and I just figured it was minor enough to ignore.

I'll go ahead and fix that. I must have missed where you said that, but it could be done pretty quickly.

Turbotowns wrote:New bug: when I edit the map while a game is going, it fucks up my income(for the slimes, and it doesn't matter what race I am)... Wait... Is it resetting the population(to default)?!
IT IS! We-he-hell... I can't tweak the map with THIS issue around... XD

Okay, I'll fix that one as well, probably related to the customizable village population.
Aurilika
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby GreenSlime » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks, Aurilika, that sounds amazing.

So to make an image with a palette I'll have to send you image in redscale and corresponding palettes? Can I send it like on this spritesheet - image colored "default" palette and extra variations?
Spoiler: show

Either way, this is going to make the spriting process much easier... once I once again make adjustments to existing sprites... oh.

[internal screaming]
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby Aurilika » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:47 pm

GreenSlime wrote:Thanks, Aurilika, that sounds amazing.

So to make an image with a palette I'll have to send you image in redscale and corresponding palettes? Can I send it like on this spritesheet - image colored "default" palette and extra variations?

Either way, this is going to make the spriting process much easier... once I once again make adjustments to existing sprites... oh.

[internal screaming]

There's a few different ways you can handle it.

You can simply leave the sprites in grayscale and then say basically, the gray with the red value of 224 should be turned into [color]. This works easily because the grays are already set shades. The ones that are already split into sub-layers you could leave, because you can specify the colors for each sprite individually, though in reality there would be a fair amount of sharing going on between them. They could probably use a 1x256 image as a palette (that's how they're handled internally), but right now I just have it set it to be created in code by text (For this sprite, any red values of x should be converted to [color]). So for hair as an example, I'd just need to specify replacement colors for the 4-5 gray shades that are used and that would make up a new 'hair color'.

You could also recombine the sub-layers back into a single layer, but then you'd have to take care to make sure that there's no colors that are supposed to be different that share the same red value. That's probably easier to do for future sprites though.

As for the sheets, you could do the little bars like they use there, and I'd just use the first bar to determine the base shades, and then the remaining bars to serve as the substitute colors. Right now I'd be keying them in manually, but if you sent me enough of them I'd probably find a way to do them programmatically (that's what programmers are all about after all). You can leave the sprites in color, grayscale, or even redscale, whatever is most convenient, just as long as the red values are unique.
Aurilika
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby GreenSlime » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:58 am

I feel like it'll be a good idea to divide the big ol' chunk of standard sprites into "body" and "hair" colored sheets, same with other sheets that make this distinction.

I'm gonna fiddle with the different palettes today, at least with standard skin colors.

By the way, Scylla should use standard body colors for body and slime colors for tentacles/scales/hair.
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby Turbotowns » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 am

I hope it's not too annoying to ask this... but do you have an E.T.A.?
Turbotowns
???

Postby SubZero156 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 am

GreenSlime wrote:Thanks, Aurilika, that sounds amazing.

[internal screaming]

what is this little cutie going to be used in
SubZero156
Participator

Postby GreenSlime » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 am

That was just an example of sprite sheet with a palette.

So, I was fiddling with skin tones and made these six.
Attachments
Skin colors.png
Skin colors.png (12.02 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby SubZero156 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am

GreenSlime wrote:That was just an example of sprite sheet with a palette.

So, I was fiddling with skin tones and made these six.

woah looks so good
SubZero156
Participator

Postby Aurilika » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am

GreenSlime wrote:I feel like it'll be a good idea to divide the big ol' chunk of standard sprites into "body" and "hair" colored sheets, same with other sheets that make this distinction.

Then all of the body sprites would share a single palette?

Turbotowns wrote:I hope it's not too annoying to ask this... but do you have an E.T.A.?

Are you asking GreenSlime about the sprites, or me about the next patch? If it's me, I'm aiming for Thursday. I've got the fixes in, but I'm launching into some new content because there's been too many v12 releases.

GreenSlime wrote:So, I was fiddling with skin tones and made these six.

Looks good, I'm excited to see what you can do with the better palettes.
Aurilika
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby GreenSlime » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Prepare to get assaulted right into your sense of aesthetics as I bring gifts of hair.

Muted colors for normal people hair, acidic nightmare for the imps.
Attachments
haircolors.png
haircolors.png (22.72 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby SubZero156 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 am

the imps have leveled up there crazy hair styles i love them can't wait to see them in game
SubZero156
Participator

Postby GreenSlime » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 am

Experimenting with the colors of lizards. I feel like pairing scale and belly colors like on picture by default but letting people change them anually would be a good way to do them.
Attachments
lizrd colors.png
lizrd colors.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 868 times
GreenSlime
Participator

Postby DollyFailFail » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am

A thing to note is that, since the Crypters(and thus by extension their hair) are artificial, perhaps they should have access to some more exaggerated hair colors as well.
Heyyyy! I don't think we've met before. I'm just your average Punk Girl ehehehe!!
DollyFailFail
Intermediate Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game