Abundant Farm (0.089) text cowtaur management (abandoned)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Abundant Farm 0.05: a text-based cowgirl management/sim

Postby Hansony » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 am

think you should look into whether you can transfer this too the "quest" engine in some form, Command Prompt is kinda limited in size, shape and font to the extend that it can ruin the experience.
Hansony
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Abundant Farm 0.06: a text-based cowgirl management/sim

Postby Ngasta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks for all the bug reports, I really appreciate it.

Benevorlent wrote: and the bug is that the Strong Cow started eating my cow, and after the "only the feet remain" message the game crashed.

I couldn't figure out how to replicate this one, sadly. Was your cow unconscious? I tried it both ways, but with no luck. Still, that would narrow it down a bit. Anyhow, I'll keep an eye out for what's causing that, it's almost certainly some very dumb mistake I made.

Hansony wrote:think you should look into whether you can transfer this too the "quest" engine in some form, Command Prompt is kinda limited in size, shape and font to the extend that it can ruin the experience.

Sadly, I don't think I would be able to create the kind of gameplay I'm looking for in Quest, not without a ton of work, and it's discouraging because I haven't really seen any games made with Quest with the kind of mechanics I'm planning on adding (or have already implemented, albeit very sloppily) in Python.

But I agree with you on the command prompt issue. I'm looking at plugins which hopefully could improve the user experience significantly / take the game out of command prompt and give it some sort of GUI. I mean, I'm not sure I'm capable of it, but it would definitely be a big improvement.
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jeschke » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 am

So I've noticed one bug so far. If you sell something at the shop, then go to the pub and ask about rumors, it'll repeat the transaction and bring you back to the shop. Not sure if this applies to buying stuff too.

This essentially lets you duplicate money by selling off a bunch of stuff and then asking about rumors a bunch. <.<

Real fun so far though! Concept's good, I don't mind the text as much but it might be a hurdle for some, is fun. x3 Although I have no idea how to make her healthier again. I think the artificial feed made her stronger, but less healthy, and then she never wanted to be milked, so I could never make money except for arena matches. <.<
Jeschke
Participator

Postby Ngasta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Jeschke wrote:So I've noticed one bug so far. If you sell something at the shop, then go to the pub and ask about rumors, it'll repeat the transaction and bring you back to the shop. Not sure if this applies to buying stuff too.
This essentially lets you duplicate money by selling off a bunch of stuff and then asking about rumors a bunch. <.<

Thanks for the report! it's fixed (hopefully...)

Jeschke wrote: Although I have no idea how to make her healthier again. I think the artificial feed made her stronger, but less healthy, and then she never wanted to be milked, so I could never make money except for arena matches. <.<

You're right about the artificial feed; it gives insane calories and decent protein, even more so when compared to its cost, but the health penalty is hefty. But health actually doesn't affect affection, so I think you must have been milking before feeding, right? It has a substantial effect, possibly too substantial. I think I'll change the message for milking without feeding to make it clearer, because hey, even though this is a text game there's no need to go full infocom with the hints :lol:
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jazzumness » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Found a bug that prevents loading
When you fight the fat cow and manage to go back to the farm and save its stats are saved at the end of the save file preventing loading
Removing them fixes this
Jazzumness
Somewhat familiar

Postby Natolin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 pm

I put Y at the beginning of the game but I cannot seem to find the scat system anywhere, is it bugged or am I just stupid? Also my cowgirl refuses to be milked now and I don't understand why or how to change it.
I'm a thot who feeds off attention... so tell me whatcha think of my stuff! Also I have a DA account :D https://www.deviantart.com/natolinnn2
Natolin
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SwallowMe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Nateman9 wrote:I put Y at the beginning of the game but I cannot seem to find the scat system anywhere, is it bugged or am I just stupid? Also my cowgirl refuses to be milked now and I don't understand why or how to change it.

I had to feed her for several days without trying to milk her before she finally let me do it. Also, before every attempt to milk her, feed her first.
SwallowMe
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SwallowMe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:44 pm

I quite enjoyed it for what there is. It would be nice to talk to her and ask her things. Also, since there is the possibility to be eaten by her, it would be nice to have a quicker way to get to that. I had to go through the sleeping cycle at least 20 or so times without feeding her before she finally ate me.
SwallowMe
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Act4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Fun game and a good start. I think I've done everything that can be done so far, took two in a half hours but I'm looking forward to the next update. I do have a couple questions,some bugs,and some suggestions for you though.

Is there a level of milk beyond perfect milk? I wasn't able to get anything above it once the cow hit 300 gallons, even when it was producing 500-600 gallons, afterwards I just stopped milking the cow daily.

Are there any other perks besides the garbage gobbler one? I've been unable to find any others and thought they were quite nifty.

I was also unable to find much plot, apart from the blackmarket, the pub job, and asking for rumors, was I missing anything?

Do the arena cows respawn after all of them have been devoured or do they remain permanently dead? In the arena it was able eat all of the other cows except the fat one, despite having its hunger at -19% (It ate the other 3 + 8 other cows from the blackmarket the day prior)before the file became corrupted, I'm unsure if it need a higher weight or height, but the cow's stats got to be something ludicrous, like 13860.8...cm/420 ft tall and weighed over 40k or 400k pounds, I can't recall, It had over 1.1 million health and was doing 2.6 million damage on a hit if that helps.

Here are a few few bugs I've seen.

For one of the rub options that continues its goes "you lovingly rub Dahlia's insanely engorged belly. she moos contentedly and looks up to you happily.

cow.name + closes her eyes, in total relaxation, the suddenly has a mischievous expression..."

I also ran into a bug that would make my save become corrupted after selling things. I had around 700 perfect milk and was trying to sell them to clear inventory space, but it resulted in the game crashing and me being unable to load the file anymore.

The garbage minigame would reset if your reloaded a save, not sure if this was intentional or not though.

There were some other I saw but they look to already be addressed.

I'm not sure if your open to suggestions but if so here are a few.

Have a sell all option for the milk, it got to be really tedious to sell it, and ultimately it was what caused the save file to become corrupt. A sell all option would speed up the process greatly. I honestly took advantage of the fact that loading a save would wipe you inventory due to how many I had.

Surprised that there wasn't any bulk artificial feed, given all the other feeds have a bulk option, I would suggest a bulk for this one as well.

A quicker way to feed live prey to the cow. The cow I had was going through something like 4-5 a day when its hunger was about 119% at (it would go through 11-12 if not more on a 0% or negative percent) pressing enter got to be quite tedious.

I'd also suggest more things to spend excess money on. The money output late game is ridiculous, I had something like 7.8 million and I just couldn't spend it fast enough when you pulling in 300k a day. Maybe allow the players to invest in new shops or buildings in town? Invest money into the blackmarket to get new prey? Or some sort other money sink would work.

A very fun game to kill a couple of hours, I look forward to the next update.

Edit:The game literally updated to 0.6 after I posted, ha!
Act4
New to the forum

Re: Abundant Farm .06: a text-based cowgirl management/sim g

Postby Ngasta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm going to rewrite the game, so there won't be any updates for about a week. Once it's done, though, I think it'll be much easier to add to the game and debug. Mistakes were made, for sure. Although the current bugs will likely be different from the new bugs bound to be created in the new version, I would be still be very happy to hear any problems with the games usability and balance, or any suggestions for features you would like to see. It's going to be great, I tell you, great! Eventually.

Nateman9 wrote:I put Y at the beginning of the game but I cannot seem to find the scat system anywhere, is it bugged or am I just stupid?

Actually, the option isn't listed (oops), but you can type "collect" in the pen to sell fertilizer. The other thing that might make things very confusing is that the total amount depends very heavily on calories, so much so that early on your cow probably won't have enough calories produce any fertilizer at all. That's definitely unrealistic, and will be changed. Also make sure it's a lowercase "y".

SwallowMe wrote:Also, since there is the possibility to be eaten by her, it would be nice to have a quicker way to get to that. I had to go through the sleeping cycle at least 20 or so times without feeding her before she finally ate me.

I guess this is as good a time as any to say that you can access the debug menu by typing "debuggery" at the farm. One of the options specifically relates to your problem :lol:

Act4 wrote:

Thank you for the very thorough impression, it's very helpful.
Act4 wrote:Is there a level of milk beyond perfect milk? I wasn't able to get anything above it once the cow hit 300 gallons, even when it was producing 500-600 gallons, afterwards I just stopped milking the cow daily.

That's the highest, yep.
Act4 wrote:Are there any other perks besides the garbage gobbler one? I've been unable to find any others and thought they were quite nifty.

Nope, that's the first and only one. There's actually a second one, which you might not have seen, garbage gorger, heh, which is closely related. It's pretty tough to get, ten times as much as gobbler.

Act4 wrote:I'm not sure if your open to suggestions but if so here are a few.

Absolutely, and thanks for the suggestions. There actually is a sell all option, but there wasn't any hint of it to the player until 0.6, oops. It's pretty vital when the milk quantity gets up there, indeed!
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby Act4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 pm

0.6 fixed the corrupted file so that it could use it again. I went to the arena again and the cow defeated and ate the fat one in a turn, it looked like it lost a good chunk of its hp, it now does over 3.6 million damage, not sure why it got so strong on the transfer from 0.5 to 0.6 but oh well. I've got a couple of pictures of the cow if you want to see it, it seems it translated over kinda oddly from 0.5 to 0.6 but it's still ludicrous. I look forward to see what you have coming up in the next update.
Attachments
Abundant Farm.png
Abundant Farm.png (31.92 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Abundant Farm2.png
Abundant Farm3.png
Act4
New to the forum

Postby Jazzumness » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Not sure why but the game is no longer providing me a description of my cow's weight it simply just skips it
Jazzumness
Somewhat familiar

Postby GeneticMess » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 am

I think this a good start so far. I've played with the game for about an hour and a half between a few sessions over the past couple days, I haven't gotten anywhere NEAR the level some people, but I've put in some good time to this game, seen most of it's mechanics and inner workings. And I like what I've seen so far! There's definite room for improvement, but I like it over all.

First point that comes to mind is your cow. Her name seems to be randomized, pulling from a pool of names. Would it be possible to have the option to give her a custom name or pick from a random one? Just small things, I suppose. And maybe I just got really lucky, but I'm pretty sure her appearance is something set in stone, maybe that could be random like the name? Just a bunch of random possibilities for hair color, hair style, eye color, skin color, small aesthetic things. Maybe even a option to choose them before the game starts like with your name, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The feeding system is good, even though in these kinds of games I just want to cram a bunch of people down her gullet first chance I get, haha. I've noticed the corn, great, and artificial feeds all affect your cow's health, does having a good or bad health currently affect anything, or is that not relevant yet? Also I've experimented with what I could with the items in the shop, and I don't know if the water or soda items have any special properties or not compared to other food.

Anywho, what I mostly wanted to talk about concerning your cow is the relationship system. I've spent an entire month (in game, to clarify) routinely feeding her feed, milking her right after, selling the milk and buying more feed for the next day, rinse and repeat, and it feels like our relationship barely grew. How she comments when I go to milk her seems to be the only thing that's changed so far, and I'm hesitant to try and rub her because I'm pretty sure that decreases your relationship if you aren't at the right level, which I have no idea if I am or not. I know this is a roundabout way of explaining what I'm about to say, but basically, I think some way to know what your relationship is with your cow at a glance, whether through a description in the examine menu or through to-be-added talk function would be much appreciated.

Moving on, the town. No comment about the shop system, it seems standard enough with a decent variety of items, nothing that explicitly needs changing yet. Except for a bug, but that's more of a programming thing than a deliberate design. The same also applies to the black market, although I unfortunately haven't played with everything there yet. The pub I feel like will have plenty of cool stuff once it gets expanded on, but for now it's pretty bare. The most you can get here is the garbage offer, which I never got my cow's relationship high enough to accept. Also, I've heard reports that the rumors option repeats sales you make at the store for infinite money, but I've found that, even though food does nothing, it also does that.

Now, the arena! I actually got a couple potential ideas for it, but first, my thoughts on it as is. I think it works pretty well overall, the battles being determined by number rolling but mostly relying on your stats. I also quickly found out that, since it's pretty unlikely you'll lose to Weak Cow, even if enter your cow as is when you first start, you can easily grind for infinite money there, making a $250 profit almost every time by holding enter for about ten seconds. The payout system might need to be changed, or maybe make the rewards for beating foes exclusive special items (that are possibly unsellable) rather than money so you can't just easily grind curbstomps for cash. This isn't as much a problem for the higher up cows, unless you get a lot more powerful than them (which is unlikely to happen with Fat Cow, and you're probably good on money if you are).

My main gripe with the arena is getting cows to eat you or vice versa upon a lose/win respectively. It seems to be up to total chance, unless one cow is just a LOT more powerful than the other by a wide margin. I think it would be better if this would just be a guaranteed thing, instead of randomly-ish happening. Although I know getting a game over upon loss can be harsh, that's what save scumming's for, I suppose, and gives the whole sub-game some more risk, go big or go home... your new home, at least. Also, as I side note, I used debug GODME to eat every opponent at the arena. There wasn't anything after that to do there, although I honestly don't know what to have expected, haha. Maybe a "super secret final boss" for laughs. I also got eaten by every cow, EXCEPT Weak Cow, as hard as I tried to have her eat me, but it never happened, if it's even possible.

A minor complaint to cap this off, the game overs. They aren't bad, it just feels like they're very short and lack substance. I don't want a lot, but about a paragraph or two, the level of writing in the intro really with some good descriptive stuff is something that would make them a lot more satisfying.

And now, to cap this off for real, some loose ideas and opinions I couldn't think to fit anywhere else:
* I tried to be cheeky and tried going to the black market before buying the ??? item. I just got a small message, but I think it would be a perfect opportunity for a non-standard game over where the goblin girl who runs the place eats you. Maybe an option to pay the 500 then and there to avoid the death, and an option later once you legit have the black market to have her eat you, whether you tried to come early or not.
* Some more non-standard game overs in general could be cool, getting eaten by some other things besides cows if you're particularly curious and/or callous.
* Possibly more opponents for the arena? Maybe even add something to the effect of "cups" in Mario Kart or "circuits" in Punch Out!!, separating opponents in groups and scaling by difficulty. Could synergize well with the idea of unique item prizes mentioned above.
* An idea for an item at the black market, some kind of talisman that lets you get eaten safely before reforming you? Could be used to feed your cow yourself if you'd like. But as a trade off, it's one use, and is a steep price.
* Some more stuff to fill the town and give it some life. As someone mentioned above, having buildings or other services to invest into and unlock more things would be great. Maybe there could be some NPCs to talk to, although I feel like this is something that would happen more often in the pub. Maybe a bit of both?

All that aside, I'm interested to see where this goes! I'll keep my eye on this game for sure, keep up the good work, dude.
Eka's Gallery (vore short stories):
https://aryion.com/g4/user/GeneticMess
GeneticMess
???

Postby Slayerhero90 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:04 am

spose i'll keep my eye on this
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ninjajoeman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 am

If you ever add more flavor text, try to keep it to rare events, mostly because you will be hammering through the lines otherwise.

The little burp bits are nice as that.
Longer and more detailed lines would work better with things like that. In fact a random even system in general could be neet.
ninjajoeman
Somewhat familiar

Postby Orosaki » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:27 pm

if you make your game to be more like IVG2 A bards tale in terms of how it handles info and help you should be fine. Its a good example of how to do a text game right.

Like having you a list of commands and stuff as well as screens with all the relevant info tou may need at that time.
If anyone tells me i fell from heaven, i'll tell them i scraped my knee crawling out of hell.
And if anyone asks I'm clearly the devil.
Orosaki
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby FutureBellyAche » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Cool game, seems like it has some really good potential. Though for some reason I cant seem to actually activate scat. Tried multiple times on restarts. Each answering y like it says.
FutureBellyAche
Participator

Postby Ngasta » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Just a quick update. The rewrite is finally coalescing into something somewhat tangible, woohoo! It's been slower than planned, because I'm trying to make things a BIT less sloppy this time. The main difference from the old version is that you now have 10 different stalls, and can have up to ten cows. So fattening up your cows to feed them to your favorite will be a possibility. :gulp:

What do people think about having different animal girls/guys in addition to cows? I'm thinking pigs in particular could be interesting. Any ideas? But this is somewhat distant, sadly. More realistically though, the game will definitely move beyond being female pred only. I'm not too sure about the specifics, in terms of making things logical/balanced gameplay wise (e.g. some way of making up for the fact that bulls can't be milked), but overall with this kind of game it should be pretty easy to change the NPCs/whatever that spawn according to the player's preference.
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby Ngasta » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:53 pm

OptimisticDinner wrote:Cool game, seems like it has some really good potential. Though for some reason I cant seem to actually activate scat. Tried multiple times on restarts. Each answering y like it says.

You probably actually did activate it, it's just that scat is, in its current form, so minor as to completely unnoticeable. Oof. It'll be more noticeable (for those who have it enabled, of course) with the new version.

GeneticMess wrote:

I appreciate the feedback!
1. Health gives a small boost to total HP in arena, and it affects milk quality, although the total health needed to have any impact on milk quality is definitely too much.
2. The relationship system needs to be much more clear and less obscure, definitely. I'm trying to strike a balance between having things be too numerically visible and being too difficult to ever figure out for the player. Perhaps the player will be notified whenever there is a positive or negative change to a cow's trust.
3. It sounds weird, but it's purposeful that the player can't choose their cow's name. The idea is that the relationship between human and cowtaur is kind of a weirdly symbiotic one. So cowtaur's consent to being "owned", but only in a very limited sense--and if the cow isn't happy and well fed enough, things will get very dangerous for the human.

But actually, it would still be nice to give the player an option to determine the name. It would be "out of character", though, as in it's not the player character giving the cow a name. Also, in the new version cows will have some more variability, in terms of hair and fur color, and possibly more.

GeneticMess wrote:* I tried to be cheeky and tried going to the black market before buying the ??? item. I just got a small message, but I think it would be a perfect opportunity for a non-standard game over where the goblin girl who runs the place eats you. Maybe an option to pay the 500 then and there to avoid the death, and an option later once you legit have the black market to have her eat you, whether you tried to come early or not.

... Why didn't I think of that? Goblin vore incoming! :lol:
Ngasta
Been posting for a bit

Postby Randulf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Ngasta wrote:What do people think about having different animal girls/guys in addition to cows? I'm thinking pigs in particular could be interesting. Any ideas? But this is somewhat distant, sadly. More realistically though, the game will definitely move beyond being female pred only. I'm not too sure about the specifics, in terms of making things logical/balanced gameplay wise (e.g. some way of making up for the fact that bulls can't be milked), but overall with this kind of game it should be pretty easy to change the NPCs/whatever that spawn according to the player's preference.

On the idea of other animals, pigs would be cool, or even things like horses could work to all being farm animals. Maybe some kind of slight stat difference or extra bonus for choosing a cow pig or horse?
As for male preds you could change the descriptions to meet that of a bull boar or stallion but im also not sure how you would manage the milk functions as a main source of income, (without things getting too lewd lol). Maybe the males could be work animals and you could ask them to do heavy lifting and manual work like pulling wagons or something in the city for money. Things like health and stamina could still play a part it in the same way, Just a different description for the work of male animals.
Randulf
Somewhat familiar

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game