What made you give up on Writing.com?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

What made you give up on Writing.com?

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:03 am

I’ve been a member at Writing.com on and off since 2000, when they were known as Stories.com. I’ve heard some people complain about this site, despite it’s history of being a hub for exceptional giantess vore and shrinking interactive vore stories.

If you ever gave up on the site, what was your breaking point? Can you share your experience?

I never gave up on Writing.com, but when I joined in 2000, I became a preferred author, then a moderator. In early 2002, I got locked up for a year and a half, and my account got deleted. It sucked, but I re-joined in 2004, and haven’t had problems since. Their paid memberships are reasonable, and it helps me that I can access my stories from any computer with Internet access.

So what’s your Writing.com horror story/bad experience?
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Re: What made you give up on Writing.com?

Postby The_Prof » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:52 am

it's simple really: The blocks they put up against free members. It's pretty clear that their servers can take the load and they're just intentionally throttling it for the sake of trying to force you to pay for what they claim is a "free" service
Evil genius, lover of catgirls, and tricking people into getting eaten is my game!
The_Prof
???

Postby Willing_prey94 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:58 am

i didn't give up per se, but i visit it way lessnow, especially since they started randomly blocking interactive stories with "our servers can't handle, try again later or be a paid member". It's completely random: you'r ereading a story, go to the next cgapte rand suddnely you ahve to wait 5 minutes for the block to lift up, for thta or any story you try to read. Then i saw someone complain about it and the staff pretty much replied (with happy emotes and a lot of sarcasm) that we should basically deal with it and pay or leave if we don't want to wait
Willing_prey94
Been posting for a bit

Postby empatheticapathy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:16 am

Besides the random blocks on free users, I find most long-running interactives on that site eventually get taken over by one random person with a VERY specific fetish, and that person will end up being the only one contributing.
So even when you get through the blocks, your options are things you've already read, and things you don't wanna read.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby LittleRover » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 am

I agree pretty much with the others. The last time I tried to get onto the website to look at interactives they were just literally unusable with how frequently the "our servers can't handle it" message appears. Even wanting to contribute it was physically impossible to get to the arcs of stories I wanted to add to. It also puts me off actually putting effort into and paying for a service that very few people can actually access.
LittleRover
New to the forum

Postby killermeow » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:55 am

Twofold here, the free membership blocks that defeat the point of having an account in the first place- especially more lately where they block interactive stories completely because screw you for not paying, and the sheer amount of spam emails of 'Your writing dot com account...' Seriously, it's like DA site notifications, useless, spammy, and I'm still looking for an option to get rid of them permanently, preferably without messing up the account in case they unfuck the free users someday.
Ah, who am I kidding, I should have deleted the account years ago and told them where to shove it. I'm just being too lazy to remember the damn password for it.
Now, back to our scheduled lurking.
If I sound rude, I'm being blunt, likely because somebody did something stupid. I'm not the best at controlling it sometimes
killermeow
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Throku » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 am

The server-load lock-out, plain and simple, doesn't matter if I get a paid account, only an insignificant portion of my reader base would do the same, and if I'm writing for myself, I don't need a website. It was good as people said to be able to access stuff regardless of where you were. So yeah I'm going to migrate to chyoa when I have the time.
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby Maurt899 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 am

A bunch of vore stories I liked have been removed for whatever the fuck reason. I stopped even contributing to interactive because I didnt know what was causing removals and i didn't want to waste my time again.

Also, the throttling, and all the other issues that really make me have zero faith in the site
Maurt899
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby soline » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:36 am

Honestly so many reasons. As a preface I only ever used Writing.com for the interactives.

The writing quality averages out at roughly 'awful'. There are some good authors and many excellent contributors, but the sheer quantity of absolute crap drowns them out completely. It's always been a case of finding the nice and well written threads to follow and normally go with a few authors, but increasingly the past few years it's become a case of '100 chapter story. 4 actual chapters, 1 longer than a single badly written paragraph'

Stories and content get deleted all over the show with no warning or moderation. It feels like DA or Tumblr levels of moderation where vore is cool, until Suzanne comes in who hates vore and deletes everything she spots, but then she goes home and it's all groovy again.

I've lost count of the number of genuinely amazing stories that have just vanished off the face of the earth, and trying to save individual interactives chapters is so convoluted and takes so much effort to record them after the effort of finding them, that it's just easier to skip the concept altogether.

And of course, the 'random' 95% block feature for non subscribers. I get the concept of heavy loads, and I'm fully behind a restricted quota for free users if it's that necessary. ExHentai used to have one, you could only view something like 200 pages a day, after which you had used up your limit and had to come back tomorrow. THAT'S fine, but just throwing up a 99-in-100 chance of the page failing to load with a bullshit message about high usage is just insulting, irritating and effectively completely locks off the website to non-paying traffic.
soline
---

Postby TETRO » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 am

>Seemingly arbitrary censorship and deletion of genuinely good work.
>Hoards of half-assed interactive story posts that turn a good story thread into a tattered rag.
>Annoying adds
>Servers as slow as a constipated snail's bowels.
>Terrible UI choices
>Finding good stories or chapters was like looking for gold nuggets in a burning dumpster.
>The insulting implication that I would actually want to spend real money on that website.

Need I go on?

I kind of gave up on community-made choose your own adventure stories anyways. They have a tendency to fall apart rather quickly. It's better to have one driven by only one or two authors who are in direct communication.
"Be polite,
be professional,
but have a plan to eat everyone you meet."

-The Predator's Handbook
TETRO
Participator

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 am

Had a 350 chapter interactive. All my own writing.

Left for a year or so while developing a new project then came back to find it and my account gone.

I was done after that. There was no email warning about this just gone. No one saved it like some other ones so it's just gone.

So no thank you. My interactive pursuits will be in game format now and backed up in the cloud. They lost my trust a long time ago.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby ArcaneSigil » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:36 am

Couldn't afford it. Plain and simple, I can't afford upkeep on an account on Writing.com or any other "monthly subscription" websites. Bad enough I'm gonna have to get a new computer because this one keeps getting spammed with "renew anti-virus", which I don't have anyway. It also has massive cracks on the screen that are getting worse, won't play videos on any streaming sites other than Youtube and Netflix. Some videos on Youtube are zoomed in as all get out and grainy as shit. The websites I use for watching Anime are ALL zoomed in and grainy as shit to the point of being unwatchable. It's not on the providers end, it's my computer. Either way, we're moving to Virginia soon, where I'm gonna find a job that pays a living wage, lose 150 lbs because I need to lose weight, maybe find myself a girlfriend, eventually get a car and a house of my own, and in the midst of all that, I need a new computer, so I'm gonna have to recover all of my old accounts because I don't have the passwords written down.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:01 pm

CrimsonFangX666 wrote:Couldn't afford it. Plain and simple, I can't afford upkeep on an account on Writing.com or any other "monthly subscription" websites. Bad enough I'm gonna have to get a new computer because this one keeps getting spammed with "renew anti-virus", which I don't have anyway. It also has massive cracks on the screen that are getting worse, won't play videos on any streaming sites other than Youtube and Netflix. Some videos on Youtube are zoomed in as all get out and grainy as shit. The websites I use for watching Anime are ALL zoomed in and grainy as shit to the point of being unwatchable. It's not on the providers end, it's my computer. Either way, we're moving to Virginia soon, where I'm gonna find a job that pays a living wage, lose 150 lbs because I need to lose weight, maybe find myself a girlfriend, eventually get a car and a house of my own, and in the midst of all that, I need a new computer, so I'm gonna have to recover all of my old accounts because I don't have the passwords written down.

666 is in your name, and this was your 666th post!
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Postby maleperduis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am

Other people will say the obvious ones, but another is that the password recovery feature emails you your password, which means they store it unhashed in their database. That's a huge no-no in web security (see http://plaintextoffenders.com/faq/non-devs )
maleperduis
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion