The Howling (Twine) V00014B (31Dec2020)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: The Howling (Twine) V00010 Chapter Two!

Postby GrayLotus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:30 pm

MadEnough wrote:I have seen from this thread that there is some kind of way to access the run-down house in the village, but I have no idea how to get a message other than "it's bolted shut." I'm Morganna is also only ever saying "you remind me of my husband" after I return with a new memory after the bear pelt quest. Is there something that locks both of these objects? Is there a button in plain sight I am not seeing? Does killing/eating Garrett preclude other paths? A little help would be nice.

The camp memory can be a little unclear on how to unlock. I'm pretty sure you need to clear out the bandits from the camp, either by scaring them off or killing them, then once you've cleared it, leave the camp to go to the woods and then come back. That made the memory show up for me, so I hope it can help you.
GrayLotus
Somewhat familiar

Postby Oniric » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:30 am

I'm more of a prey-ish guy, but I gave this game a chance, played a little bit and it seems fun so far. I think the game has potential, but I'd really like to see more detailed descriptions, since it's a text game after all.

By the way, is there any M/M content (either vore or sex) outside of battles? From what I played I didn't seem to find any.

Also, is there a way to end battles without killing the enemy? I'd enjoy some more non-violent interactions in general, although I understand if that's not in the plans.
Oniric
Somewhat familiar

Postby Revx_Z » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm

I appear to be a bit stuck now. Last two quests of my journal page:
QUESTS
5 Completed
I helped Reethin with a diplomatic issue.

I brought Morgana enough bear pelts.

I solved the issues between the farmer and the elves.
Fred's sheep might be safe now.
Astrid can make more effective potions thanks to that sablethorn.
I barely survived an attack from a pair of bounty hunters. I need more information about this.
I need to bring Brutus some cave-dwelling lichen, some flowers from a graveyard, and some alchemist distillation.

I've unlocked the temple library, but I can't get more information there. Where do I seek more information about bounty hunters?
I've explored the caves a lot, but never found any lichen. I also don't think I can get to the alchemist, since the alchemist is locked behind the recently introduced Plot Rubble.

Speaking of which, how do I clear the Plot Rubble in the village now? I thought it would go away after fighting Garret, but apparently not.

MEMORIES
You have found 2 scraps of your memory.
You spilled a bottle, but it was fine. You got called a silly, special name. You put flowers on the gravestone. Their death was so brutal.

Some tips on how to progress from here would be nice.

Savefile:
Spoiler: show
'---------------------------------------------------------------'
(set: $saveline to "Fang D")(set: $saveline1 to "male")(set: $saveline2 to 165)(set: $saveline3 to 23)(set: $saveline4 to 442)(set: $saveline5 to 442)(set: $saveline6 to 66)(set: $saveline7 to 5)(set: $saveline8 to 13300)(set: $saveline9 to 15000)(set: $saveline10 to 96)(set: $saveline11 to 322)(set: $saveline12 to 6)(set: $saveline13 to "Werewolf")(set: $saveline14 to "Healthy")(set: $saveline15 to 222)(set: $saveline16 to 20)(set: $saveline17 to "none")(set: $saveline18 to 2)(set: $saveline19 to 0)(set: $saveline20 to 1)(set: $saveline21 to "a tidy sawmill. The well-cleaned windows allow you to easily look out at the river as it burbles along outside. There are a few rooms for storage, and a nice area for you to curl up and sleep. The door closes or opens when you turn the knob, as appropriate.")(set: $saveline22 to 1)(set: $saveline23 to 2)(set: $saveline24 to 1)(set: $saveline25 to 6)(set: $saveline26 to 0)(set: $saveline27 to 0)(set: $saveline28 to 0)(set: $saveline29 to 0)(set: $saveline30 to 0)(set: $saveline31 to 0)(set: $saveline32 to "none")(set: $saveline33 to "none")(set: $saveline34 to 0)(set: $saveline35 to 0)(set: $saveline36 to 0)(set: $saveline37 to 0)(set: $saveline38 to 0)(set: $saveline39 to 3)(set: $saveline40 to 0)(set: $saveline41 to 0)(set: $saveline42 to 0)(set: $saveline43 to 0)(set: $saveline44 to 0)(set: $saveline45 to 0)(set: $saveline46 to 11)(set: $saveline47 to 5)(set: $saveline48 to 1)(set: $saveline49 to 0)(set: $saveline50 to 8)(set: $saveline51 to 1)(set: $saveline52 to 2)(set: $saveline53 to 1)(set: $saveline54 to 0)(set: $saveline55 to 20)(set: $saveline56 to 3)(set: $saveline57 to 0)(set: $saveline58 to 0)(set: $saveline59 to 0)(set: $saveline60 to 0)(set: $saveline61 to 0)(set: $saveline62 to 0)(set: $saveline63 to 0)(set: $saveline64 to 0)(set: $saveline65 to 3)(set: $saveline66 to 1)(set: $saveline67 to 1)(set: $saveline68 to 1)(set: $saveline69 to 0)(set: $saveline70 to 0)(set: $saveline71 to 1)(set: $saveline72 to 0)(set: $saveline73 to 1)(set: $saveline74 to 1)(set: $saveline75 to 1)(set: $saveline76 to 1)(set: $saveline77 to 1)(set: $saveline78 to 0)(set: $saveline79 to 0)(set: $saveline80 to 0)(set: $saveline81 to 0)(set: $saveline82 to 238)(set: $saveline83 to 1)(set: $saveline84 to 2)(set: $saveline85 to 1)(set: $saveline86 to 0)(set: $saveline87 to 2)(set: $saveline88 to 0)(set: $saveline89 to 3)(set: $saveline90 to 3)(set: $saveline91 to 3)(set: $saveline92 to 0)(set: $saveline93 to 2)(set: $saveline94 to 0)(set: $saveline95 to 0)(set: $saveline96 to 1)(set: $saveline97 to 79)(set: $saveline98 to 0)(set: $saveline99 to "Emma Farmgirl")(set: $saveline100 to "0")(set: $saveline101 to 1)(set: $saveline102 to 0)(set: $saveline103 to 0)(set: $saveline104 to 0)(set: $saveline105 to 0)(set: $saveline106 to 0)(set: $saveline107 to 0)(set: $saveline108 to 0)(set: $saveline109 to 1)(set: $saveline110 to 2)(set: $saveline111 to 1)(set: $saveline112 to 0)(set: $saveline113 to "none")(set: $saveline114 to "none")(set: $saveline115 to "none")(set: $saveline116 to 0)(set: $saveline117 to 0)(set: $saveline118 to 0)(set: $saveline119 to 1)(set: $saveline120 to 0)(set: $saveline121 to 30)(set: $saveline122 to 1)(set: $saveline123 to 0)(set: $saveline124 to 0)(set: $saveline125 to 1)(set: $saveline126 to 0)(set: $saveline127 to 1)(set: $saveline128 to 1)(set: $saveline129 to 1)(set: $saveline130 to 1)(set: $saveline131 to 1)(set: $saveline132 to 1)(set: $saveline133 to 1)(set: $saveline134 to 1)(set: $saveline135 to 1)(set: $saveline136 to 1)(set: $saveline137 to 1)(set: $saveline138 to 1)(set: $saveline139 to 1)
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ouphe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:51 pm

@ Revx__Z: The camp memory was only accessible if the camp is cleared, which means you have to take out the bandits. I have switched a check so it'll now be found on initial visit to the camp, because that is a pre-req for progression.

From your current status, I sent you a fixed savecode, and you should now be able to get to the ruined house -> morgana (optional for more memory scraps) -> get to enough notoriety/quests to find the 2nd Boss.

The Red Encounters:
1 - To activate Garret (Lair): 5 quest completes or 151+ notoriety
2 - To activate Heather (Village): 9 quests complete (not enough in atm, sorry) or 351+ notoriety, house memory located. For the house memory, you need the huntress memory, the cemetary memory, and the camp memory.
ouphe
Participator

Postby ouphe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm

@Oniric - I plan to build on the descriptions more as I get things settled, right now I'm still working on the inner bits and the overall plot. There will be more details as everything solidifies.
M/M is only in-combat right now, no plans at this time to add it out-of-combat in the first few chapters of the game. After this first overarching plot is wrapped up, to be determined.
Right now combat only ends with victory/defeat. I do have triggers in place so there will be situations in the future where victory will allow you to then kidnap the opponent or whatever else as appropriate, but those will be for unique fights only. No capturing every last goblin you find and amassing a goblin army at your sawmill (yet).
ouphe
Participator

Postby Winny » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:38 pm

Any plans for disposal content?
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ouphe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 pm

I don't have any disposal plans at the moment, sorry.
ouphe
Participator

Postby wetcardboardbox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 am

What a neat game! It's the first time I've seen this kind of strategy with twine and I think it works pretty well.
Also, bug? JSYK when I go back home and rest the text says im at full health, and it'll update to full health when i look at my status or inventory, but when i back out of those the number switches back to my pre-rest health. Easy to fix with editing my save code, but annoying all the same.
wetcardboardbox
Somewhat familiar

Postby Revx_Z » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:27 am

wetcardboardbox wrote:What a neat game! It's the first time I've seen this kind of strategy with twine and I think it works pretty well.
Also, bug? JSYK when I go back home and rest the text says im at full health, and it'll update to full health when i look at my status or inventory, but when i back out of those the number switches back to my pre-rest health. Easy to fix with editing my save code, but annoying all the same.

Your health is full after rest, the display just hasn't updated yet, it will be full if you go out into the forest after resting. No need to edit save code.
"Back" is quite literal about displaying the previous thing displayed, even if a value has changed since then.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Farfanuggen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Question: How do you remove the rubble on the east end of the village? Or can you at this point in time?
Farfanuggen
Participator

Postby ouphe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 pm

It's locked right now since I've not gotten much progress on chapter 3. Once I have a decent bit of content for the Highway and Castle, then I'll put in the command so it'll get removed after the fight with Heather (Chapter 2 Boss).

Related note, if anyone has fought with her, please tell me (here or in PMs) what you thought of the fight? She's my first attempt at extra abilities and I'm curious how it went.
ouphe
Participator

Postby Farfanuggen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:44 pm

She's.....a little too overpowered. And by a little, I mean a LOT. She does really high damage, you can't damage her armor at all and she teleports out of grapple AND damages you while doing so.

I think something needs to be tweaked. Either the teleport, nerf her damage or make it so her armor isn't complete impervious to attack. I'm level 10 with 228 Str, 52 Dex and 636 HP and she can kill me in 5 turns and I can't do anything to her at all.

Edit - Also, I've never seen the Highway option appear. Do you have to beat Heather to access it?
Farfanuggen
Participator

Postby GrayLotus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:08 am

I've fought her a couple of times now, so I'll share my thoughts.

I do think she needs some tweaking in her power, specifically in how her high dex and damage complement each other so well, and that she will basically always break grapples until she's down to her clothing or less. In the current stage the game is at, it's quite difficult to raise dexterity, and with hers being so high it can be difficult to get yours high enough to reliably hit her, as well as it being difficult to dodge her attacks. Her being able to break grapples until you've damaged her armour enough removes that as an option for most of the fight as well, which means you can't compensate with high strength, either.

Maybe she could have a cooldown period to recharge her teleport runes, where she can't auto-break grapples for 1-2 turns? Or have damaging her armour start affecting her teleports after the first reduction?

Besides that, I did think it was a pretty interesting fight. It definitely made me approach it differently than normal fights (which usually became 'grapple', 'devour', 'swallow' after a while), which was a nice surprise, and certainly makes it memorable! Like I said above, it still probably needs some tweaking, either the fight itself or the mechanics around it, but I quite liked it, despite or because of the unique challenge. Even if I struggled quite a bit with my first attempt, at around ~200ST, 80D, and ~880HP, with many potions being used.
GrayLotus
Somewhat familiar

Postby ouphe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 am

Okay, awesome. Feedback on the more challenging mobs is what will help me tweak and fine-tune them. I'll cut a bit of her dexterity for V11. The armor has a chance to fail the teleport at "Armored", but it's much higher fail when at Clothing or lower.
I wanted her to be a challenge against the high strength tactic because I know how easy it is to grab & gulp most of the content, but finding the right balance of fun/different/challenge without getting to the "kinda overpowered, starting to get annoying to fight 37 times without winning yet..." type of situations.
ouphe
Participator

Postby Revx_Z » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Heather is definitely a bit OP for the point where I encountered her.
ouphe wrote:I wanted her to be a challenge against the high strength tactic because I know how easy it is to grab & gulp most of the content, but finding the right balance of fun/different/challenge without getting to the "kinda overpowered, starting to get annoying to fight 37 times without winning yet..." type of situations.

I think part of the problem here is that "the high strength tactic" is almost the only tactic that exists. There is no "high dex tactic", there are no armor items for the player character, there are no levelup choices, there are no character skills. (This is not to say you should add them, simplicity is fine too, just considering how it works.) So if you challenge the ones who beefed Strength... you're very likely to steamroll those who didn't.

Especially since having enough reputation to meet Heather locks you out of the village, and the tavern, and the Dex-increase-menu.

What is the "range" of randomness on hitting/missing? Because that might form the basis for a second tactic - if range is large, swing-and-potion until you hit, use potions to stay in fight long enough to get in many swings. But that won't work if the random range is small and can't work across a large Dex difference.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Farfanuggen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm

ouphe wrote:Okay, awesome. Feedback on the more challenging mobs is what will help me tweak and fine-tune them. I'll cut a bit of her dexterity for V11. The armor has a chance to fail the teleport at "Armored", but it's much higher fail when at Clothing or lower.
I wanted her to be a challenge against the high strength tactic because I know how easy it is to grab & gulp most of the content, but finding the right balance of fun/different/challenge without getting to the "kinda overpowered, starting to get annoying to fight 37 times without winning yet..." type of situations.

I agree with Rev. I restarted the game and basically went crazy trying to get Dex. If I leveled and I didn't get 4 or 5 Dex? Reset and level again (a la save 1 kill before leveling). Any time I had 500 gold? Go buy Dex food.

This time when I beat Heather, I had 725 HP, 285 Str and 87 Dex at level 12. It seems like from a Dex standpoint, you NEED a minimum of 80 to even stand a chance if you don't want to be spamming potions for half an hour.

I think by toning down the Dex requirements, maybe adding more HP to her pool and making teleport a little less OP would do wonders for her fight. Maybe a 1 turn CD on TP would help.
Farfanuggen
Participator

Postby ouphe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 pm

attack roll is a 1-20 addition to dex, which then gets a few extra accuracy depending on using bite or claw. claw is more accurate, bite hits harder.
I'm dropping Heather's dex from 105 to 75, so 55+ player dex has a chance to hit, 65+ player dex should be evenly matched. Doubling health to make her a stronger fight to balance that out. For the armor, changing the modifier to 20*Armor Level, so she'll have a guaranteed escape at full armor, but chance of failure at every level under that. I don't want to nerf her too much, but I can understand since I overtuned her. Sorry, and thank you all for your input!

V 00010B The Teleporter leaves a bit behind...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wint5s7v ... .html/file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DB6k3o ... sp=sharing
https://www.patreon.com/the_howling
ouphe
Participator

Re: The Howling (Twine) V00010B Chapter Two!

Postby Revx_Z » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 am

Thanks for the nerf.
Bandit encampment is acting funny in this version.
if: 1 is 0)Wait. Wait wait wait. This place. This place is making you think... think of camping. Muddy firepits. You were sitting with someone by a tent. You were on that log there. There was someone next to you. Someone... someone you miss. Someone important. You sit by the firepit for awhile, trying to recall the fuzzy images. Your heart hurts, but there is nothing more that you can remember at this time... MEMORY SCRAP FOUND!
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Farfanuggen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am

ouphe wrote:attack roll is a 1-20 addition to dex, which then gets a few extra accuracy depending on using bite or claw. claw is more accurate, bite hits harder.
I'm dropping Heather's dex from 105 to 75, so 55+ player dex has a chance to hit, 65+ player dex should be evenly matched. Doubling health to make her a stronger fight to balance that out. For the armor, changing the modifier to 20*Armor Level, so she'll have a guaranteed escape at full armor, but chance of failure at every level under that. I don't want to nerf her too much, but I can understand since I overtuned her. Sorry, and thank you all for your input!

V 00010B The Teleporter leaves a bit behind...

I think you overnerfed her a little bit....With her Dex reduced, she is almost unable to hit me with 80+ Dex. Not to mention her damage seems to be halved? I did the fight 4 times after you posted the update and didn't have to use a single potion at all. Where as before, I had to use 30+ in a single encounter.

I think maybe raise her dex by 10-15 again, up her damage (if that was an unintended reduction from the Dex) and you'll be solid. She'll be a nice hard boss to fight.

Edit- Ok, her damage isn't halved, but it is all over the place. I've seen hits for as low as 70 and high as 180. Where as before, none of her hits were below 101 and her max was around 188. I do like the prompt to fight her in the village now instead of just immediately forcing you to. It allows you a little extra prep time.
Farfanuggen
Participator

Re: The Howling (Twine) V00010B Chapter Two!

Postby ouphe » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:01 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YJiGz8 ... sp=sharing
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tsbnju7b ... .html/file

~~~V 00011
Starting chapter 3: Unlocked the Highway and the Castle
The stew quest! (it's horrible and wonderful at the same time! Don't hate me. Hate Brutus and Jeremy! Nice reward from it though...)
A little extra to the end of the digestion process (A lot of parts missing will result in auto-death even if the NPC still has health left. Digesting long enough will change status to Digested. Armor now blocks more acid damage, but also breaks easier during digestion.
Added disposal in an optional manner to the victory page. Can be easily skipped.
There is now first stage of pregnancy possible for Emma and Tanya. Just baby bump, nothing more.
Bug fixes as always. Found a way to turn in the Bandit Diplomacy quest that wouldn't give you a quest completion point. There is no longer a chance of blank encounters in the Road
Garret and Heather battles are now both click-to-start, instead of auto-encounter, at their respective locations. This should make it a little easier and will allow you to save or whatnot as desired.
Starting bits of a few quests for chapter 3 are in place, more to follow.
Removed the ability to kill Morgana early, as it would lock you out of later content.
Fixed some lines on the savecode to make sure it didn't miss important bits like finding items or making Miriam stop talking so much every time you saw him.
Balancing Heather (+10 dex)
ouphe
Participator

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game