Project: G.L.U.T.T. v0.7.0 ALPHA - A 2D Vore Platformer

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: 2D Vore Platformer ALPHA RELEASE v0.1.0

Postby DraconicSyntax » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Tsuuuruya wrote:Yo!

In the long-term goals you said that one of your objectives is to incorporate enemy predators into the game that can eat the player, which sounds super exciting!
Will we be seeing any of that anytime soon?

Plan is for either the next update to have that or the one following, not sure!
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:30 pm

firebolt2526 wrote:-True line-of-sight detection is next on my list for planned updates, which should help the stealth experience a lot - enemies won't be able to see you through walls, on different elevations, or if they're not facing you once I have this working.
-A tutorial area will be planned as well, eventually!
-Crawl sections are definitely planned, just need to work out the code that prevents you from standing in crawl spaces as that currently gets the player permanently stuck in the walls
-Different speeds for eating less alert enemies I also like the idea of - there's a lot of fleshing out that can be done with the stealth system as a whole, which I plan on adding incrementally through updates.
-The zoom option would be rather nice, I'll try and have that in the very next update! I've battled with the game resolution and not breaking sprite sizes for so long though that I'm not entirely sure how likely it is I can get it working, but it *shouldn't* be too terrible.

Have you thought about adding a simple monthly status update so folks can know what's going on? ex: "worked on enemy pathfinding, may have a version out this month" or "Family stuff has come up so I will have limited time to program". Simple stuff like that so hopefully people won't clog up the thread asking if your still working on it.

firebolt2526 wrote:-Some kind of melee move is definitely planned as a powerup soon as ammo is limited, and likely the ability to eat every enemy at least with certain powerups.

Maybe have the melee from the start that does knockback only and the power up gives stuns?

firebolt2526 wrote:-I actually never considered this, but having ways of either dropping on enemies (or them on you) to eat them sounds like a cool idea as well, I'll add it to my list for sure.
-Having set health pools for enemies would be a neat feature, but there's a LOT that would have to go into the setup of something like that, not to mention trying to keep it properly tracked and bug free could be a nightmare. It is something I've thought about, but a very distant plan at the moment.

Since I have no idea of how the code is I can only guess how the game checks all entities in game (probably like 'if right signal is sent use run frame set' or something like that). Though I do have some ideas for Samus's falling/eating frames could look.

firebolt2526 wrote:-Different gravity for different levels of fullness would be cool and easy, but can change how a lot of platforming works since your jumps would be more limited. I'll experiment a bit with it and see what I can come up with!
-Yes, currently laser pits will outright kill most enemies currently - I considered them being replaced back on a ledge like the player is, but it's not a terribly simple matter and also felt weird gameplay-wise (not to mention they usually just immediately jump into the pit again).

What about making a testing map for public use to help bug finding and level testing?

Ether way got a few more notes here:
-If Samus is eating a drone while already eaten and is hit by a missile not only does she cough up the one being eaten but she loss the one she already ate.
-What about putting in a code for indigestion like [if indigestion hits then start a timer if indigestion hits within 5 seconds pause indigestion RNG for 30 seconds.] Got a game where I got indigestion back to back within 5 seconds were it got annoying.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:01 pm

Tsuuuruya wrote:Yo!

In the long-term goals you said that one of your objectives is to incorporate enemy predators into the game that can eat the player, which sounds super exciting!
Will we be seeing any of that anytime soon?

Not going to lie, I think the stealth/predation gameplay is going to be the main draw here while the prey portion is left for dying and losing to bosses/certain units. The fact that you go down very fast if your outnumbered and cornered shows that even the basic grunts are a threats which is a nice change of pace in games like theses.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby EddyS » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:13 am

Jumpingbananaboat wrote: -Both drones and Samus fall at the same speed even if she's stuffed with 1+ prey, any chance to change that?

I didn't mean to pop in unannounced and I also don't like being a smartass... but I have to point out that gravity pulls everything on the earth equally. Doesn't matter if you drop something light like a pencil or if you drop an entire person: Both of them get pulled down at the same speed. So in that sense this suggestion doesn't make sense.

But of course this is a game and Samus is also supposedly in space. The gravity on the ship could work much more differently than it does on earth, so if that's the case then this suggestion could work. But if the gravity on the ship is the same as on earth, then everything would fall down at the same speed.

I don't mean to mock your suggestion with this reply, I just wanted to point this out or... correct this if you will.

It's good of you to join and voice your opinion. It sometimes takes courage to do that.
EddyS
Somewhat familiar

Postby DraconicSyntax » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 am

EngilbertSig3 wrote:
Jumpingbananaboat wrote: -Both drones and Samus fall at the same speed even if she's stuffed with 1+ prey, any chance to change that?

I didn't mean to pop in unannounced and I also don't like being a smartass... but I have to point out that gravity pulls everything on the earth equally. Doesn't matter if you drop something light like a pencil or if you drop an entire person: Both of them get pulled down at the same speed. So in that sense this suggestion doesn't make sense.

But of course this is a game and Samus is also supposedly in space. The gravity on the ship could work much more differently than it does on earth, so if that's the case then this suggestion could work. But if the gravity on the ship is the same as on earth, then everything would fall down at the same speed.

I don't mean to mock your suggestion with this reply, I just wanted to point this out or... correct this if you will.

It's good of you to join and voice your opinion. It sometimes takes courage to do that.

My thoughts as well with gravity, if I'm going to change it it would likely be something like affecting how high she could jump (which in turn of course affects platforming so I'm not sure it's something I'm going to do yet).

However, I did get a new idea from this for a heavy landing/ground slam ability for if you land from a high fall while full...
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby EddyS » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am

firebolt2526 wrote:My thoughts as well with gravity, if I'm going to change it it would likely be something like affecting how high she could jump (which in turn of course affects platforming so I'm not sure it's something I'm going to do yet).

However, I did get a new idea from this for a heavy landing/ground slam ability for if you land from a high fall while full...

Yeah if you change how high Samus can jump with a belly you'd have to remake the entire map so you can actually jump to certain places with a belly. Either that or the player is just forced to digest first and then go wherever he needs to go next.

A ground slam makes sense if you're following earth's gravity. Also since Samus doesn't take any fall damage it makes sense to have a ground slam ability for that reason. You could also make it deal more damage the higher the fall is (if that's not impossible to code).

I also wanted to ask you: Have you made any decisions on the belly sprites? Are you going to keep them the way they are or are you going ro remake them into same-size? Or are you even able to make them same-sized?
If you made them entirely same size you'd have a gigantic amount of work just to remake them, so I understand if you wouldn't want to do that much work. But if you're up to the task then I think the game would benefit from it (at least in my biased opinion).
EddyS
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 pm

EngilbertSig3 wrote:... but I have to point out that gravity pulls everything on the earth equally. Doesn't matter if you drop something light like a pencil or if you drop an entire person: Both of them get pulled down at the same speed...

8O And then you realized you just failed that test you had aced in middle school. :oops: Ah well, was too caught up figuring out how to eat while falling when I wrote that.

firebolt2526 wrote:My thoughts as well with gravity, if I'm going to change it it would likely be something like affecting how high she could jump (which in turn of course affects platforming so I'm not sure it's something I'm going to do yet).

Yes right now the map formula is good as is and with how you lose height and speed the more you eat that's probably the best way to go.

Going back to what EngilbertSig3 suggested earlier:
EngilbertSig3 wrote: ...So when you swallow the 3rd prey you're almost immobile i.e. you move incredibly slow and you can't jump, but you can still shoot and crouch although you wouldn't be able to move when crouching (so in a way Samus would just sit if you crouched). The 4th prey would make you completely immobile (besides maybe being able to crouch/sit)...

Maybe 3 prey means Samus can only jump once just over her own height and 4 prey she can't jump or run at all and moves the slowest.

firebolt2526 wrote:However, I did get a new idea from this for a heavy landing/ground slam ability for if you land from a high fall while full.

:!: That moment when you get even more excited for potential movement options then the vore. IMO you really might surpass FUbN if you were to implement half of what was suggested so far. (FUbN is one of the best if not THE best platformers on this site so ya very high praise IMO.)

EngilbertSig3 wrote:...You could also make it deal more damage the higher the fall is (if that's not impossible to code)....

Depending on the code it might simply matter on how full she is when she hits the floor.

EngilbertSig3 wrote:...I also wanted to ask you: Have you made any decisions on the belly sprites?...

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's to be decided for later updates. (though I'm definitely down for same size but you do you Firebolt.)
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:51 pm

EngilbertSig3 wrote:A ground slam makes sense if you're following earth's gravity. Also since Samus doesn't take any fall damage it makes sense to have a ground slam ability for that reason. You could also make it deal more damage the higher the fall is (if that's not impossible to code).

The code for such a move should actually be fairly easy! May even have it in time for the second level - I haven't gotten to much (or really any) of the second level design yet, so there's a good chance (I have still gotten some work done in the meantime, even though the level itself hasn't made progress yet - currently I just finished coding a zoom option and been doing some general bug fixing based on everyone's reports).

EngilbertSig3 wrote:I also wanted to ask you: Have you made any decisions on the belly sprites? Are you going to keep them the way they are or are you going ro remake them into same-size? Or are you even able to make them same-sized?
If you made them entirely same size you'd have a gigantic amount of work just to remake them, so I understand if you wouldn't want to do that much work. But if you're up to the task then I think the game would benefit from it (at least in my biased opinion).

I am definitely able to remake them, but yeah it would require reworking around a thousand sprite frames in order to do so, so it's a back burner plan. I'll probably get to it around the same time I rework the player sprite to be an actual OC as well, as that's something I'll need to eventually get around to as well (though the redesign will likely largely be a pallet swap for the most part).

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Going back to what EngilbertSig3 suggested earlier:

EngilbertSig3 wrote: ...So when you swallow the 3rd prey you're almost immobile i.e. you move incredibly slow and you can't jump, but you can still shoot and crouch although you wouldn't be able to move when crouching (so in a way Samus would just sit if you crouched). The 4th prey would make you completely immobile (besides maybe being able to crouch/sit)...

Maybe 3 prey means Samus can only jump once just over her own height and 4 prey she can't jump or run at all and moves the slowest.

This or some variation will likely be the plan once I've implemented more than 2 prey! However 3+ prey probably won't happen next update, likely the one after.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
firebolt2526 wrote:However, I did get a new idea from this for a heavy landing/ground slam ability for if you land from a high fall while full.

:!: That moment when you get even more excited for potential movement options then the vore. IMO you really might surpass FUbN if you were to implement half of what was suggested so far. (FUbN is one of the best if not THE best platformers on this site so ya very high praise IMO.)

Thank you!! FUbN was definitely one of my favorites of this site as well, though I only discovered it a year ago I think.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
EngilbertSig3 wrote:...You could also make it deal more damage the higher the fall is (if that's not impossible to code)....

Depending on the code it might simply matter on how full she is when she hits the floor.

I can have both be factors really. Say, damage = (# of prey) * fall speed.

Though thinking on damage, I'm going to need to give all enemies a health pool by the sound... currently the missile robots are all that have health, since the synth enemies really only could be stunned unless digested outright. While a digestion damage system is a ways off, I could still have a fairly easy regular damage system implemented (ideally in time for there to be more abilities/attacks than a stun and eat). Could make it so they're knocked unconscious at 0 HP indefinitely, and can be left there or scooped up and eaten afterwords.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
EngilbertSig3 wrote:...I also wanted to ask you: Have you made any decisions on the belly sprites?...

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's to be decided for later updates. (though I'm definitely down for same size but you do you Firebolt.)

Really I'd like having something closer to same size as well! The more pregnant sized bellies for what's supposed to be same sized prey always bugged me... I kinda fell into it when making the player sprites due to certain complications that I could probably overcome now that I have a little more experience.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby VirtuosoViking » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 pm

So when you eventually get player prey into the game, how were you planning on having it? Would it be like you would get eaten if you run out of health? Or eaten and then gradually lose health? Or since it's a stealth game, if you get caught, then you lose and have to retry?
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby DraconicSyntax » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:38 pm

VirtuosoViking wrote:So when you eventually get player prey into the game, how were you planning on having it? Would it be like you would get eaten if you run out of health? Or eaten and then gradually lose health? Or since it's a stealth game, if you get caught, then you lose and have to retry?

Eaten and gradual loss of health, with an escape chance (depending on the pred) is my current plan.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 pm

firebolt2526 wrote:...I just finished coding a zoom option and been doing some general bug fixing...

Congrats on getting the zoom to work, will the screen zoom in on Samus or will a in-game window open up?

firebolt2526 wrote:
...I'll probably get to it around the same time I rework the player sprite to be an actual OC as well, as that's something I'll need to eventually get around to as well (though the redesign will likely largely be a pallet swap for the most part).

You went through the trouble of making a decent Samus model and artwork so why change it later down the line? I'm not saying don't do it just generally curious as to your train of thought. Also what about reusing the Samus sprites as a reward for new game+ where you start with all power ups.

firebolt2526 wrote:
This or some variation will likely be the plan once I've implemented more than 2 prey! However 3+ prey probably won't happen next update, likely the one after.
...The more pregnant sized bellies for what's supposed to be same sized prey always bugged me... I kinda fell into it when making the player sprites due to certain complications that I could probably overcome now that I have a little more experience.

When you do add more, if the code allows you can have small and human sized prey and reuse the current sprites for the smaller ones. That way you can make it so Samus can eat 4 regular sized prey or 8 smaller ones and for the coding maybe the smaller prey can count as a human size but half of one. EX: Samus eats 2 small ones and goes up to 1 full belly and eating a human size goes to 2 belly size but if she eats a regular unit and a smaller unit she goes to 2 belly size but can eat one more small unit to stay at 2 belly size. (If that makes any sense.)

firebolt2526 wrote:Thank you!! FUbN was definitely one of my favorites of this site as well...

Inserts *Ah a man of culture I see* meme

firebolt2526 wrote:I can have both be factors really. Say, damage = (# of prey) * fall speed.

Sounds like the fall speed should be done first so we can test it out.

firebolt2526 wrote:... currently the missile robots are all that have health, since the synth enemies really only could be stunned unless digested outright.
Could make it so they're knocked unconscious at 0 HP indefinitely, and can be left there or scooped up and eaten after words...

If there are no limits to enemy types that can be programed then you can use the old recolored enemy trope to make different enemies that have more restrictions on how to eat them. (EX: whites can be grabbed, stunned and knocked unconscious, another color variant can only be stunned and knocked unconscious, and another can only be knocked before eaten.) Also are we are calling the human like enemies synths or you haven't decided yet?

firebolt2526 wrote:Eaten and gradual loss of health, with an escape chance (depending on the pred) is my current plan.

So it sounds like how much health you have is going to be a major part of survival then.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:22 pm

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Congrats on getting the zoom to work, will the screen zoom in on Samus or will a in-game window open up?

Screen zoom! Meant to be pretty fluid so you can actually see a little more detail of what's going on without really interrupting gameplay.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:You went through the trouble of making a decent Samus model and artwork so why change it later down the line? I'm not saying don't do it just generally curious as to your train of thought. Also what about reusing the Samus sprites as a reward for new game+ where you start with all power ups.

Well, there's a bit more to it than that - when I made the original Samus sprites, it was mostly because I was teaching myself pixel art and just took a familiar (and favorite) character to work with and experiment on. I also of course like having her character as the actual player in game. I do however have some potentially possible very very far off plans to make this a paid feature length released game - the current roadmap of what it would look like IF this were to happen is to first, continue the game as is available for free here. Once I have much more substantial content, if interest in the game is high enough, I'd put out a poll and see if people would be interested in paying for the game were I to go in and effectively overhaul the entire game and add a lot more content. If that were to be successful, then it would be on to something like a small scale kickstarter or something of the like, before an eventual full release of the game. What would then currently be uploaded here on Eka's would remain available for free here effectively as a "demo" of the full version for people to continue to enjoy and use to decide if they're interested in paying for the full game.

I have numerous ideas right now on different ways I can overhaul and lots of content I can add aside from all that's been talked about in this thread thus far, stuff I'd really like to do just for the base game now, but we're talking some 10x the content that was released compared to the alpha, probably a lot more (considering the alpha really is sorta bare bones), and for reference the alpha took about 8 months to complete start to finish. Of course, future development should generally be faster thanks to me now knowing wtf I'm doing essentially, and if there were some kickstarter or similar then I would also be able to dedicate a lot more time towards development since I theoretically wouldn't need to be working a job alongside Uni (and of course all past and present contributing artists I could actually compensate, also likely speeding development!).

Of course again this is really more fantasy and wishful thinking than anything right now, and regardless I do plan to continue development of this as a free game to everyone for the time being. To finally answer your question though, IF it were to happen that I could make this into a full paid game, I obviously couldn't use a copyrighted character. I still like about everything about the player character as she is though, hence why it would largely be more of a palette swap than anything, but it would also be nice to have her as an original creation then that I could give her own backstory and etc to.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
When you do add more, if the code allows you can have small and human sized prey and reuse the current sprites for the smaller ones. That way you can make it so Samus can eat 4 regular sized prey or 8 smaller ones and for the coding maybe the smaller prey can count as a human size but half of one. EX: Samus eats 2 small ones and goes up to 1 full belly and eating a human size goes to 2 belly size but if she eats a regular unit and a smaller unit she goes to 2 belly size but can eat one more small unit to stay at 2 belly size. (If that makes any sense.)

Yep I get what you're saying here - again something I'll have to put on the list!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
If there are no limits to enemy types that can be programed then you can use the old recolored enemy trope to make different enemies that have more restrictions on how to eat them. (EX: whites can be grabbed, stunned and knocked unconscious, another color variant can only be stunned and knocked unconscious, and another can only be knocked before eaten.) Also are we are calling the human like enemies synths or you haven't decided yet?

Another idea I've toyed with (and will probably eventually use), or maybe even as say alternate difficulty settings replace the regular enemies with ones that have fewer weaknesses as such.

And really I only called them synths as I've seen some other people refer to them as that - canonically though they are humans!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
firebolt2526 wrote:Eaten and gradual loss of health, with an escape chance (depending on the pred) is my current plan.

So it sounds like how much health you have is going to be a major part of survival then.

That's the plan - call me weird, but among even games based on/made for kinks, I've always enjoyed the most the ones that also have challenging or interesting gameplay, so I've been doing my best to include that in my game.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:40 pm

firebolt2526 wrote:Well, there's a bit more to it than that - when I made the original Samus sprites, it was mostly because I was teaching myself pixel art and just took a familiar (and favorite) character to work with and experiment on. I also of course like having her character as the actual player in game. I do however have some potentially possible very very far off plans to make this a paid feature length released game - the current roadmap of what it would look like IF this were to happen is to first, continue the game as is available for free here. Once I have much more substantial content, if interest in the game is high enough, I'd put out a poll and see if people would be interested in paying for the game were I to go in and effectively overhaul the entire game and add a lot more content. If that were to be successful, then it would be on to something like a small scale kickstarter or something of the like, before an eventual full release of the game. What would then currently be uploaded here on Eka's would remain available for free here effectively as a "demo" of the full version for people to continue to enjoy and use to decide if they're interested in paying for the full game.

I have numerous ideas right now on different ways I can overhaul and lots of content I can add aside from all that's been talked about in this thread thus far, stuff I'd really like to do just for the base game now, but we're talking some 10x the content that was released compared to the alpha, probably a lot more (considering the alpha really is sorta bare bones), and for reference the alpha took about 8 months to complete start to finish. Of course, future development should generally be faster thanks to me now knowing wtf I'm doing essentially, and if there were some kickstarter or similar then I would also be able to dedicate a lot more time towards development since I theoretically wouldn't need to be working a job alongside Uni (and of course all past and present contributing artists I could actually compensate, also likely speeding development!).

Of course again this is really more fantasy and wishful thinking than anything right now, and regardless I do plan to continue development of this as a free game to everyone for the time being. To finally answer your question though, IF it were to happen that I could make this into a full paid game, I obviously couldn't use a copyrighted character. I still like about everything about the player character as she is though, hence why it would largely be more of a palette swap than anything, but it would also be nice to have her as an original creation then that I could give her own backstory and etc to.

*pulls out telescope and looks towards the distance* Ahhhhh...man you plan far ahead! Makes sense, it just sounded like you were to remodel her within the next few updates or so.

firebolt2526 wrote:
Jumpingbananaboat wrote:

Yep I get what you're saying here - again something I'll have to put on the list!

Think i'll add just a bit more to that, have you thought about how many enemy sizes you'll have? Like 4 would be enough (small, regular/same size, large, and huge/boss) and could help with designing enemies for the levels. Mainly I'm thinking on how the 4 prey belly limit, like 8 small prey or 4 regular followed by 2 large and lastly 1 huge for a stuffed belly. Just a rambling....

firebolt2526 wrote:And really I only called them synths as I've seen some other people refer to them as that - canonically though they are humans!

I was about to say with Samus burping out bones but good to know. Though i'm defently going with what PervyLesbian02 said:
PervyLesbian02 wrote:My first thought was pretty much: "Hey, those enemies look like stabby Haydees."

firebolt2526 wrote:That's the plan - call me weird, but among even games based on/made for kinks, I've always enjoyed the most the ones that also have challenging or interesting gameplay, so I've been doing my best to include that in my game.

Yep those that make us work for the prize make them all more memorable.
Last edited by Jumpingbananaboat on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jed » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:13 am

I don’t mean to be a bother, but any ETA for when the next update is released? I only ask as I need to wait for the update for you to add in Mac compatiblity.
Jed
New to the forum

Postby Revx_Z » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 am

Very nice game! I wish there were a map though.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby DraconicSyntax » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:
*pulls out telescope and looks towards the distance* Ahhhhh...man you plan far ahead! Makes sense, it just sounded like you were to remodel her within the next few updates or so.

Juuuust a bit! Like I said mostly wishful thinking at this point, but like to plan ahead sometimes when I can. Yeah though, not likely to remodel quite so soon.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Think i'll add just a bit more to that, have you thought about how many enemy sizes you'll have? Like 4 would be enough (small, regular/same size, large, and huge/boss) and could help with designing enemies for the levels. Mainly I'm thinking on how the 4 prey belly limit, like 8 small prey or 4 regular followed by 2 large and lastly 1 huge for a stuffed belly. Just a rambling....

4 Is my general idea too, though I haven't ironed out specifics yet and what to do/if there will be a half sized prey. Something I'll take as it comes, likely as I'm working on new enemies.

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:

I was about to say with Samus burping out bones but good to know. Though i'm defently going with what PervyLesbian02 said:
PervyLesbian02 wrote:My first thought was pretty much: "Hey, those enemies look like stabby Haydees."

Huh, never heard of those prior but definitely see the resemblance!

Jed wrote:I don’t mean to be a bother, but any ETA for when the next update is released? I only ask as I need to wait for the update for you to add in Mac compatibility.

I actually just did some more work looking into this - turns out, while it should be a simple process as my engine has the capability and is licensed to create Mac executables, APPARENTLY Apple decided to still make it something I can't do without first completing an application to publish software with them, registering a device to run on (which may or may not mean I need to own an Apple computer myself), acquire Xcode (some other Apple development plugin thing), and pay a $100 "application fee" all so I can press the "Build for Mac" button in my IDE. So unfortunately, it may be a while before I'm able to port the game to Mac after all. I'll keep poking around to see if I can find a way around this or if all of the steps are necessary for me, as the whole thing feels pretty absurd when there seem to be no actual physical reasons I can't just build it for Mac now - so far as I can tell, it's all effectively licensing with Apple.

Revx_Z wrote:Very nice game! I wish there were a map though.

Thanks! I actually didn't think of adding a map prior - I may see if I can at some point.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm

firebolt2526 wrote:4 Is my general idea too, though I haven't ironed out specifics yet and what to do/if there will be a half sized prey. Something I'll take as it comes, likely as I'm working on new enemies.

Your not working new enemies for next update then? Also I feel like right now the 2 full belly sprite is around the right size for the revised full sized belly vore, so going from that the 1 full belly can be used for the small prey in .5 increments. That way you would only need 9 base belly sprite frames in total:

0.0 base sprite
0.5 size
1.0 size
1.5 size
2.0 size
2.5 size
3.0 size
3.5 size
4.0 final
(or if it's to much you can just with the 1 to 4 full units for 5 sets of frames)
Just got a thought for adding more eaten units while stilling using the same sprites. What if late a power up lets Samus eat more enemies by reducing their unit count by half?

firebolt2526 wrote:Huh, never heard of those prior but definitely see the resemblance!

IMO I always thought the pointy back part of their helmet stands out a bit much but it's your design so what ever.

firebolt2526 wrote:Thanks! I actually didn't think of adding a map prior - I may see if I can at some point.

Think you can make it look like a Metroid map or will it be more a smaller detailed map? Will we have to push a button to see it or will it be on screen at all times?
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:48 pm

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Your not working new enemies for next update then? Also I feel like right now the 2 full belly sprite is around the right size for the revised full sized belly vore, so going from that the 1 full belly can be used for the small prey in .5 increments. That way you would only need 9 base belly sprite frames in total:

0.0 base sprite
0.5 size
1.0 size
1.5 size
2.0 size
2.5 size
3.0 size
3.5 size
4.0 final
(or if it's to much you can just with the 1 to 4 full units for 5 sets of frames)
Just got a thought for adding more eaten units while stilling using the same sprites. What if late a power up lets Samus eat more enemies by reducing their unit count by half?

Oh I am putting new enemies in the next update, just not reworking the belly stuff at the same time as those, rather when I'm working on a specific enemy update that focuses just on increasing enemy variety. I get what you're saying with the size increments, though I'm doubting I'll be able to get all of those in as separate sprites - creating a new belly size means creating a new set of sprites every single action in the game that can be done while full (the addition of the first two belly sizes alone almost quadrupled the number of sprites I had, and would continue to do that with each new size I add). Additionally, especially at the higher prey counts/sizes, the change in size would get pretty arbitrary with the half increments. It would ultimately be a lot of work that, while would be nice to have in the game, could definitely be spent adding more significant features or changes.

I do have plans hopefully to rework the way the full sprites are handled that would drastically reduce the workload in creating new belly sizes, but that's lower on my priority list right now and will more likely come as it's own update later in development.

That powerup idea will be something I keep in mind though!

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Think you can make it look like a Metroid map or will it be more a smaller detailed map? Will we have to push a button to see it or will it be on screen at all times?

Nooooo idea yet, a map is a mechanic I only have a few inklings of ideas on how to code, so we'll have to see what I can come up with and what google can help out with.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

Postby Jumpingbananaboat » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:31 pm

firebolt2526 wrote:Oh I am putting new enemies in the next update, just not reworking the belly stuff at the same time as those, rather when I'm working on a specific enemy update that focuses just on increasing enemy variety. I get what you're saying with the size increments, though I'm doubting I'll be able to get all of those in as separate sprites - creating a new belly size means creating a new set of sprites every single action in the game that can be done while full (the addition of the first two belly sizes alone almost quadrupled the number of sprites I had, and would continue to do that with each new size I add). Additionally, especially at the higher prey counts/sizes, the change in size would get pretty arbitrary with the half increments. It would ultimately be a lot of work that, while would be nice to have in the game, could definitely be spent adding more significant features or changes.

I do have plans hopefully to rework the way the full sprites are handled that would drastically reduce the workload in creating new belly sizes, but that's lower on my priority list right now and will more likely come as it's own update later in development.

That powerup idea will be something I keep in mind though!

Ah well, so that mean we'll be stuck with the 2 prey limit and human sized enemies for now right? Also what do you hope to have done in the next update, a alpha lvl 2 with a few new enemies and a new power up?
Jumpingbananaboat
Been posting for a bit

Postby DraconicSyntax » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Jumpingbananaboat wrote:Ah well, so that mean we'll be stuck with the 2 prey limit and human sized enemies for now right? Also what do you hope to have done in the next update, a alpha lvl 2 with a few new enemies and a new power up?

For the time being - and yes that, plus player prey code, line of sight and some more under the hood stuff and new level elements.
DraconicSyntax
Participator

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game