Vore Game

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Vore Game

Postby Jiplie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:26 am

So hello, I'm thinking about starting work on a vore game that centers around a player voring others to upgrade herself. I don't have much of a plot yet but I have an idea of the preds. In the game there will be preds blocking your path. This will make you go back, explore the environment and either find a way past or vore to upgrade. I want the game to be a 2d sidescroller with light RPG elements and simple ai. The game will also have mini vore cutscenes showing you voring or being vored. There will be secret respawns points if you find them, but if you get vored you will restart at the beginning of the game. To help prevent the player from fighting an overpowered pred the enemies will have energy meters above them showing their level.
This is my first game. I have had no previous experience before. I have time but no money to spend. I'm not asking for help or anything just for recommendations for an engine, sprite creator and how to finish the game.
I just want some advice so I can create a good, fun vorny game that is a bit more aesthetically pretty than Milia Wars.
Thanks for reading, and if you have anything at all to say pls reply or comment!
Jiplie
New to the forum

Re: Vore Game

Postby VictorBound » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:01 am

I have started a small game studio myself, and am learning to program from a friend who is a professional.... I can say, making a game is a lot of work- dont be discouraged by that, but rather, understand this going into it.
My best advice, start on a small project, dont worry about every element at first, just try to get a basic gameplay loop together, a single level. use stock assets at first, until you can learn how or afford to pay for artists to make better things.

Im only making some light RPG maker games for now, and thats a very good place to start for just making some simple games, I dont have any good recommendations for platforming engines, that are....."easy"... Ive started to learn how to code in the C languages so i can script for Unity. thats a pretty well documented and popular game engine, which might suit your needs better.

start simple, and dont get discouraged.
VictorBound
Somewhat familiar

Postby SephirothTheLegend » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:11 am

Best way to go about it is as said above. Start small.

Work on mechanics and basic functions first.

The ultimate test is to make your game as barebones as possible and check to see if it functions as intended.
Then you can add stuff on top to develop the features.

Art is generally the last thing you should work on unless you can do it yourself.
Use default stuff or placeholder assets until the core of the game is done and then you can add them in after.

Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help or scour the net for tutorials on stuff.

Tl;dr

Do it in bits and slowly progress. Make small goals and work towards that.
SephirothTheLegend
Been posting for a bit

Postby slaggaX4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09 am

I can lend a helping hand although it would only be small, I have done previous work on dialogue and descriptions for the island, if you are interested i could do something similar for this project as well.
slaggaX4
Been posting for a bit

Postby unit72 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 am

A game developer here.

This is your first game so don't expect you can make something very complex in reasonable amount of time. My first game was a simple minesweeper clone with some custom features and I spent half of a year on it. You should simplify things. Be ready to cut features entirely. Know what is important and what is not. It's super easy to find yourself wasting much time to make some not so important thing. Know where to stop. I know there's more features to implement, but there will always be more. A finite list of goals is better than an open-ended one.

Programming is not scary, don't be afraid of it. Unity is quite simple engine and C# language that it uses is simple too. You can ask me about programming in PM if you get stuck.

If you can't draw sprites and the asset store has no sprites that you want, you can draw them in ms paint, make a working prototype, post it here and hope that someone helps you.

Have fun!
unit72
Been posting for a bit

Postby Enteresting » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:05 am

Got three questions for you that you should be raising if you want to make a Vore game. Ideas are good and all, but getting them into practice can be tricky.

First, what program are you using? Unity, RPG maker, RenPy (or similar), Gamemaker Studio, or a different one? Whichever one you choose, a suggestion would be to look up some tutorials on how to use it. RPG maker is obviously the easiest to work with, while Gamemaker Studio is fairly similar but with more expanded options.

Second, are you working solo or in a team? If you're working solo, you'll have your workload far higher than normal, but you work at your pace. If in a team, what's your strengths and how do they apply to said team? If you're the director, do you have a team of 3/4 people, or more?

Thirdly, do you have a roadmap of how to proceed? Do you work on simple features to begin with and then work your way up, or do you get everything together first and then see what works and what doesn't? Will you release Alpha/beta stages of your game to receive feedback, or let a few like-minded friends you trust play and test?

A number of questions there just for you to think on. If you do get the game off the ground however, good luck!
Enteresting
Participator

Postby WHTB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:22 am

Hi. Professional game dev here (12 years and counting).

Version Control

Before doing anything else, you should acquaint yourself with version control. This is a complicated topic, but learning it now will save you time later. The main free option here is Git (not to be confused with GitHub, which is a site that uses Git). You can also try Mercurial, but those options are conceptually pretty similar. Here's a tutorial to start you off: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/what-is-git-and-how-to-use-it-c341b049ae61/

Version control is extremely important even for a solo developer. Very often you will break something in your current code without realizing it until your are far into some other changes. At its simplest, you can see what changed since your last checkpoint, helping you track down the bug. You can then make more checkpoints as the project progresses. The general advice (especially for a solo dev) is: "Commit early, and commit often" to version control, meaning you should be making a lot of those checkpoints as you go on.

It also acts as a remote code backup, if you use something like GitHub with it (again, Git itself is not synonymous with GitHub). Don't end up like Project Zomboid.

Again, this is not something you should kick down the road for later. If you want any long-term project to be viable, you must use version control.

Engines

Unity, Unreal Engine, and Godot are all free to download and use. Personally, I use Unreal Engine for a lot of my professional work, but I use Godot for all my personal projects.

Godot is fully open-source and free. There are no licensing or purchase fees. It's also tiny and lightweight. https://godotengine.org/ [My recommendation]

Unreal Engine is "free" until a game makes over a certain threshold of money. But they give you source code access for free. https://www.unrealengine.com/

Unity is also "free" until a game makes more than a certain amount of money, but unlike Unreal and Godot, you don't have access to the source code unless you happen to be a big company with a ton of money. https://www.unity3d.com

There are also Gamemaker and RPG Maker. Both of them cost money up-front. You can't really make a sidescroller like you described with RPG Maker. You can with Gamemaker, but it's still much more limited than any of the other engines mentioned here and you have to pay up-front for it, so I don't personally consider it a viable option for new games, especially when something as free, simple to use, and more powerful exists, like Godot.

Art Tools

Some free 2D art tools are:

GIMP is a free, open-source raster art tool. Everyone complains about the interface in it. I use it. https://www.gimp.org/

Krita is a free, open-source raster art tool that's actuall pretty good. It's a little less optimized for pixel art than GIMP, but the whole thing makes more sense overall. I use it for most of my 2D art these days. https://krita.org/en/ [My recommendation]

Aseprite is a dedicated pixel art tool. It's not free, though. https://www.aseprite.org/

Grafx2 is actually a really old piece of software from the mid-90s that still gets maintained and updated today. It's got some very specialized stuff for doing 256-color pixel art and animation. But the UI is extremely non-modern. Still, it's open-source and free, so possibly worth mentioning here. http://grafx2.chez.com/

Music/Sound tools

I know you didn't mention it, but here are a few music/sound tools I like:

Audacity for more low-level audio recording and manipulation. Also open source. https://www.audacityteam.org/

LMMS is some simple (but slightly limited) open-source music creation software. https://lmms.io/

sfxr (or one of its many variants) if you want to quickly generate a bunch of retro-style game sound effects. https://sfxr.me/

Hope that helps. I love using open-source tools for this stuff, both at work in the industry and for my side projects. I didn't even get into all the cool 3D software there is out there (Blender rocks).
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Jiplie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Thx you all so much. Right now I've found two people so if anyone wants to help dont be afraid to go over to discord and check or help me out. Anyone is welcome even if they just have questions. I am CREAMYCUMMYBUG over there!
Jiplie
New to the forum

Postby SimplyDoct » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 am

Sounds like it would be fun. Can't wait to try it out. :-D
SimplyDoct
New to the forum

Postby Jiplie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 am

Thx so much! I wont br done for a while now tho!
Jiplie
New to the forum

Postby aweirdguest » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:09 pm

Interesting concept i hope it goes well!
aweirdguest
New to the forum

Return to Vore game