Vorelike (formerly VDOS)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vorelike (formerly VDOS)

Postby DigiThing » Sun May 05, 2019 3:30 am

VampireFlowerLover22 wrote:The Arbok and Goblin mod DO NOT WORK! Why?

The art is named wrong. The script/txt file calls for it to be named "Arbok.png" and "Arbokvore.png" as fro the Goblin, just look in the text file or even read the error it throws at you when it tries to load. The error will tell you the name it's trying to call. Or, you can even edit the text file to get it to use pics that you might find better! Have fun!
Edit: It could also be that the pictures are not where the text has detected. Example. Say i have a miltank mod. but i don't put the picture in the art folder, i put it in another folder in the art folder. I have to tell the game, thought the text file to look in this new folder as well. or i can move the picture out into the art folder proper!
Remember to always have fun in whatever you do :3

DigiThing
DigiThing
Somewhat familiar

Postby ObsidianSnake » Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm

NSW wrote:Some of the tinkering i did included...
1.) Adding more descriptive text replacement to allow the text information to be more interesting. So instead of just DMG for damage, you could also use tags to add gender, name and heath information for both predator and prey.
2.) Adding an isdigest tag to swallow moves so creatures could have descriptive text if the player is the predator.
3.) Adding extra keys that allow me to select targets in the predators stomach (or the players) and offer a popup with additional options. (Setting friend tag, switching places, having the predator find another of their kind and either feed themselves to or eat them.) That last option was mostly for testing... mostly. :lol:

Those are interesting concepts. Thus far, I've exclusively modified Object.js to fix a couple of minor issues with the way that pleasuring predators work. Also, the player gains experiencing for befriending a creature through pleasure, because it unlocks a new way to play.

Speaking of that, it seems like everyone is really focused on creatures, but not too much on the rest of the game. Currently, there isn't a major gameplay objective. If there was, the current map generation method produces dull but eccentric layouts, and only of one type. There's no level features, such as ponds, rivers, treasure rooms, 'difficult terrain' that's harder to traverse, or even doors. Player options are currently placeholder, so there's no character generation step, and classes including all of their features aren't a part of their game. Before that even happens, I presume you would need to do more than move, attack, and open your inventory/use consumable items. There's no way to inspect tiles/creatures yet, and things like traps would be one of the reasons to do that anyway. The basic code to support equipment is partially there, but that may involve designing out the class system at the same time. Short range weapons are fine, but what assumptions would make sense for long range and thrown weapons? Anyway, magic and spells are even more complicated, potentially. Even if you're elusively interested in predatory creatures, their AI is one-note right now; they randomly wander until they are within sight range of an equal or lesser predtype and then give chase. They don't currently have the capability to lurk in a small area/nest, guarding/lurking there, or patrol a route around an area. They are also all solitary, which is fine for some creatures, but not so good when you want them to pack with allies (or the player). Finally -- and this is of the upmost importance in my opinion! -- there is no money and commerce system. no gold and no trading with friendly creatures that are capable of doing so. I don't need to elaborate on why that's an issue.

Anyhow, I haven't made much headway with any of these things. Some of them are intertwined, so you really have to think them through together.

One thing I can fix right now is the emergent behavior caused by friendly creatures not wanting to move when adjacent to each other. This was a sound assumption for when the player wants to interact with a friendly creature, but when creatures have higher strength, they can befriend each other and stop moving. This can lead to large (and growing) groups of enemies sitting together peacefully, presumably enjoying each other's company. Charming, but undesirable.
If you have some time to burn, check out my gallery for some stories!
ObsidianSnake
Somewhat familiar

Postby NSW » Tue May 07, 2019 2:02 am

ObsidianSnake wrote:Those are interesting concepts. Thus far, I've exclusively modified Object.js to fix a couple of minor issues with the way that pleasuring predators work. Also, the player gains experiencing for befriending a creature through pleasure, because it unlocks a new way to play.

Most of the magic happens in Object.js. :-D

Mostly, i wanted better descriptive text options to cut down on the duplication needed to implement creatures. Also, i could use the same descriptive text regardless of whether the creature was attacking the player or another creature. I used a marker value to turn on text logging for a friendly creature and you could watch them attack or be attacked. I still have the patch file laying around here somewhere. I'll try to dig it up and test it against the most recent version in case anyone wants it.

I also wanted the creatures to have unique responses if the player or another creature was the pred. Hence the addition of an "isdigest" tag to mark swallow moves for that specific purpose. That way they could also be included in the creature mod file so anyone could add that information easily if they wanted. I'll try to find that patch file too.

I do like your idea of making pleasuring a way to play. I never considered doing that.

ObsidianSnake wrote:Speaking of that, it seems like everyone is really focused on creatures, but not too much on the rest of the game. ...

Adding creatures is quick and somewhat easy, everything else is a little more involved. Unless someone knows how to work with JavaScript, they are not going to be able to do much more. This game was very much in a "proof of concept" mode when development stopped. That said, the code seems to be laid out cleanly enough that it shouldn't be hard to flesh out a lot more features and functions.
NSW
Been posting for a bit

Postby Psychfennec » Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I randomly popped in to the forums today and noticed all the work that is being done on my little game.

First, you all have my 100% permission to keep working on any and all changes / improvements / forks you think are necessary - I started this little game but I always hoped that it would become a communal project. I can look into opening up the BitBucket stuff (if possible, I'm not great at that) so that people can easily add new stuff to the repo.

Edit: It looks like BitBucket changed hands a while ago and my login isn't working anymore, which is a shame. Maybe we can brainstorm other places for communal hosting which will allow for version control stuff.

Secondly, I'm going to try and return to this project and make some more updates - I can't promise anything but I'm going to make an effort. I would love to work with anyone who might be interested.

And, finally, thank you all for helping to create a better game for everyone!
Psychfennec
Somewhat familiar

Postby ObsidianSnake » Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 pm

NSW wrote:I do like your idea of making pleasuring a way to play. I never considered doing that.

I just expanded the idea a little. Although I've only had an hour or so, I added minor explicit support for the other stats. You know, ones that aren't Strength! Now you gain Charisma on level, and the rub action uses it instead of strength, which may be controversial. Judging by the existing text, it seems like it may be more, um, applicable.Perhaps it could involve multiple stats in some kind of formula? Wisdom may also be a factor because it helps you discern what the predator enjoys most.

In any case, Dexterity will come next. I think it will add with armor to a Defense stat that opposes the target's strength to determine if an attack hits. If it doesn't, you'll finally see the fail text! Yes, this is all totally familiar and trivial stuff, but I raised it as an issue. It makes sense I should take care of some of it.

Holy cow it's Psychfennec wrote:Maybe we can brainstorm other places for communal hosting which will allow for version control stuff.

I'm delighted to see you here again!

As for the topic at hand, I suppose there is Github, but I like to remain as anonymous as possible. I'm not sure if I trust Github.

Question for you and also everyone else: how about the currency "Zerdila"? As in "I have 69 Zerdila (which not enough to buy chicken nuggets)." It's a portmantau that's roughly based in the combination of arabic terms for "yellow" which is the root term for the fennec fox and the term for coin/currency. I want money in the game to reward exploration/risk, and would be added with trade with friendly characters. Eventually we could put in NPCs that are always friendly that exclusively trade and do other things. It's a way to put in more of the game context to this and provide a lot more opportunities for other things, too.
ObsidianSnake
Somewhat familiar

Postby NSW » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 am

Sorry for the delay. I had to manually check and update this patch for the latest version. No promises that there are not bugs or that this isn't total overkill.

Here is the patch allowing for better and more capable text replacement. It allows you to reuse descriptive text for both male and female creatures and it also allows text replacement for all moves, not just success or rub. Included in the zip file is the patch file showing what was changed, as well as patched Object.js and Utilities.js files in case you just want to drop them into place. No current creatures use these new tags, so you will have to modify original creatures or use them in your own creations. Hopefully you find this useful or interesting.

Vorelike Patch - Better Replacement Text.zip
(17.83 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

Normal text replacement tags available without the patch (can only be used once per line and only for success or rub text):
DMG = Damage
GND = Gender
HP = HP
THP = Total HP
GNDA = his, her, their (Depending on gender)

Enhanced text replacement tags available with this patch (usable multiple times per line and in all texts):
DMG = Damage
GND = Gender
CRT = Creature Name
HP = HP
THP = Total HP
TGND = Target Gender
TCRT = Target Creature Name
THP2 = Target HP
TTHP = Target Total HP
(Main / Target)
GNDA / TGNDA = his, her, their
GNDB / TGNDB = his, hers, theirs
GNDC / TGNDC = him, her, them
GNDD / TGNDD = he, she, they
NSW
Been posting for a bit

Postby ObsidianSnake » Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 pm

I haven't tested NSW's text replacement extension, but it looks dope! I'm thinking that the player character text could really benefit from several of these.

EDIT: Just got a little crazy and merged NSW's work with my own, and it still runs. I'll try to test out the text replacements when I get a chance.
ObsidianSnake
Somewhat familiar

Postby Navien » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Please forgive the necro Post, But whenever i try to play this on modern firefox i keep getting "A network error Occurred." This seems to happen only on more recent version of fire fox. Do i just have to download an eariler version just so i can keep playing this?
HEY!
Navien
Somewhat familiar

Postby SubZero156 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Navien wrote:Please forgive the necro Post, But whenever i try to play this on modern firefox i keep getting "A network error Occurred." This seems to happen only on more recent version of fire fox. Do i just have to download an eariler version just so i can keep playing this?

yes you should,https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox here is a link to an older firefox, that does work, i have tried it
SubZero156
Participator

Postby NSW » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:06 am

I was browsing my old posts and noticed the last few posts here. I'll post this here in case anyone comes across this thread and would still like to play or tinker with this game.

The best option i've found to run javascript games/content is NW.js (nwjs.io). This is a standalone version of the Chrome browser built specifically to run local apps written with Javascript and Node.js. You don't have to install anything, just unzip it to a folder and add in the content you want to run. It works with Vorelike just fine and you don't have to install and maintain old browsers. Its also available on multiple platforms.

1.) Download NW.js (Normal) from nwjs.io and extract it to a folder of your choosing.

2.) Download and extract Vorelike (or move a copy you already have) into its own folder inside the NW.js folder you made above.

On Windows, you should have a folder structure something like this:
Code: Select all
locales
swiftshader
vorelike     <--- The folder containing Vorelike.
d3dcompiler_47.dll
ffmpeg.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
node.dll
nw.dll
nw._elf.dll
notification_helper.exe
nw.exe
credits.html
icudtl.dat
package.json     <--- A file you will create below.
nw_100_percent.pak
nw_200_percent.pak
resources.pak
v8_context_snapshot.bin

3.) Now you just need to create a "package.json" file to point NW.js to vorelike when its launched. This is just a simple text file containing the following:
Code: Select all
{
   "name": "Vorelike",
   "main": "./vorelike/index.html"
}

That's it! Just run the executable called nw (nw.exe if you have file extensions visible) and a new window will pop up with Vorelike loaded and running. If Windows 10 complains about running an untrusted/unrecognized app, simply click the "More info" text and you'll get a "Run anyway" button to override it.

You can use this same method to run other javascript games or content locally on your system. You can also reuse the same NW.js folder with other games or apps, just give each game or app its own folder and update package.json to point to the one you want to run.

Hopefully this is helpful.
NSW
Been posting for a bit

Postby hydralover239 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:14 pm

So just out of curiosity. Is this still being updated? Or if not is that modding tutorial available? I'd hate to see something this great die.
hydralover239
New to the forum

Postby NSW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am

There hasn't been any new updates to this in a very long time. It is written in JavaScript and tinkering with it is as simple as downloading the code and opening it in a text editor of your choosing. Most of the interaction/magic happens in Object.js. Good luck on your coding journey if you decide to pick this up and ticker with it. :)
NSW
Been posting for a bit

Postby hydralover239 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 am

So do you need to understand java in order to tinker with it?
hydralover239
New to the forum

Postby Crazyman536 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:18 am

hydralover239 wrote:So do you need to understand java in order to tinker with it?

That mostly depends on what it is you want to mod. If you plan to say, change the game completely turn based instead of enemies moving on timers and when you move, then it'll help to know a bit about the code. If you just plan to add enemies to fight, all you need to do is copy the conditions in another file to what it is you want and add the new file to the games list of enemies to fight. well, that and have a picture for the game to pull up.
Crazyman536
Somewhat familiar

Postby jokerert1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:40 am

i only get this message when i try to play, can someone help ? NetworkError: A network error occurred.
jokerert1
Been posting for a bit

Postby Serav » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 am

There should be a file called 'Start Vorelike in Chrome', thats how you bypass the problems with it (given you have a chrome browser installed that is)
Serav
New to the forum

Postby jokerert1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 am

I get this error in Chrome.

NetworkError: Failed to execute 'send' on 'XMLHttpRequest': Failed to load 'file:///F:/Games/01.2021/RogueLikeFox-vorelike-e2c90f07a204/RogueLikeFox-vorelike-e2c90f07a204/mods/DefaultItems.txt'.
jokerert1
Been posting for a bit

Postby NSW » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:27 pm

The newer web browsers block loading local files for security reasons. If you want to play or tinker with this game, see my post above on how to setup NW.js.

Here is also a link to it:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=35593&start=440#p2831783
NSW
Been posting for a bit

Postby Serav » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Right that error again, and i have no idea how i solved that one.
So have these files instead, with 2 versions of the game, base and modified (like near all monster available from first floor, though i had to do some weird work arounds to get things to work, which im not sure if they even had any effect.)
https://mega.nz/file/cjRkgLSK#KfLRPBFpV ... ZaWP1AQIss

Use the start in chrome file, i have no idea how it does even manage to make it work in Chrome since using Index directly refuses to work, but it works for me (should get one error message about ogre.txt not loading if all is right with the modified, which you can safely ignore or can try to fix yourself since i cant be bothered), if it doenst work and you get the defaultitems error, then i dont know anymore.

You can always try to change files yourself, its rather easy to do.

Alternatively nw.js can work, (failed for a while, which was actually due to a very simple error on my part that i kept overlooking and solved just now......)
Last edited by Serav on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serav
New to the forum

Postby NSW » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:46 pm

hydralover239 wrote:So do you need to understand java in order to tinker with it?

You can tinker with the creature files, the text they have and even set the image that gets used for them, but anything more serious than that will require a little knowledge in JavaScript.

JavaScript is used for web programming, so there are a ton of online resources if you decide you want to learn it. Just make sure you learn JavaScript and not Java. :)
NSW
Been posting for a bit

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game