Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.20.2]

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.19.2]

Postby MoonlightShad0w » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Zavvnao wrote:are there any lizardmen in the game? I have not played in awhile, and have forgotten ^^

No there are not in the game ,BUT in the first post there is a Trello link there you can find thinks that MAYBE will be in the game or not.
depends on what is he working of if he will drop the this before these things made it in the game.
MoonlightShad0w
New to the forum

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.20.0]

Postby Myconid32 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm

0.20.0: Details in the changelog.

Sorry for the long hiatus! I got trapped inside during a big snow today and decided to press forward in developing the Labyrinth area of the game a little bit. We have two new enemies, the Wall Shadow and Mimic, and one returning enemy, the Hawk-kin. Since the latter was cut back when we had shorter descriptions, he has expanded lines now! Oh boy! He is not an apex predator, so you can also eat him if you are feeling mean.

The theme for the Labyrinth is to screw with your expectations, so you may want to try these new enemies out (depths 16-18 and 19-22) before checking the spoiler. This is not thoroughly tested, so please expect (and report!) bugs.

Spoiler: show
The Wall Shadow is the latest in the Slime family of monsters, using Absorption as its vore type. It should be somewhat sturdy and, like all slimes, attempts to devour the player regardless of their health. Most notably, the Wall Shadow has the appearance of a wall and only moves when the player is not looking at it. The player should be suspicious of strange protrusions on walls and dead-ends that were not there before. A Wall Shadow can be outed by attacking it, forcing it to assume the form of a slime until the player stops looking at it and it can get near a wall.

The Mimic is a little craftier, looking identical to a charm, ring, or wand. The item is real and has a genuine description, and will even be identified if the player has seen its type before. However, it cannot be obtained; attempting to take it leads to an automatic swallow by the Mimic with special dialogue. Mechanically, the Mimic is invisible while its item is on the map. It should be an obstacle to other entities, and it can be struck by ranged or area attacks (which reveal it). The mimic moves as normal (and slow) enemy when revealed, but sets up its trap again when the player is not looking. Unlike the Wall Shadow, the Mimic does not attempt to eat players adjacent to it unless it is exposed; only attempting to take the item will lead to a swallow.

While mimicking, neither of these monsters should appear in the UI sidebar, since that would defeat the purpose. They should be visible when exposed, and should return to being invisible if they are allowed to reset their trap.

My next plan is to populate the Labyrinth with its humanoid enemies. Thanks for being patient!
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Chiaroscuro » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:07 pm

Nice! Sorry the weather is causing you issue, but I’m glad to see you’re back working on it! I’ll check the new additions whenever I get the chance later.
Chiaroscuro
Participator

Postby xmarkx » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:41 pm

I noticed that in debug mode, if you try to spawn a golem, it says the ID is invalid
xmarkx
Somewhat familiar

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.20.1]

Postby Myconid32 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm

xmarkx wrote:I noticed that in debug mode, if you try to spawn a golem, it says the ID is invalid

Fixed some wonkiness with the numbering. It should work now with the same spawn code.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Myconid32 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:01 pm

I have noticed a few typos and I am trying to go through the text in my spare time to fix any errors, but it is something of a mind-numbing process. Zoning out while looking for errors just means I will overlook them, so if anyone can help out by reporting grammar or spelling error or missing words, I would really appreciate it!
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Duke The Wolf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Been playing around with the new patch, things are looking good overall.

The T-Rexaur's heavy digestion message seems to be bugged, as well as the second line of the willing prey message, but I don't think this is new to 20.1, I just haven't been playing with heavy digestion much.

The gorgon's second line of willing anal vore dialogue also does not seem to work properly.

Those were the only errors I've noticed so far, haven't seen any that were grammatical in nature.

I noticed that the player spawns in a spot near the stairs instead of adjacent to them when traversing between floors, and don't see anything about it in the changelog. Just out of curiosity, is this change by design? It definitely makes it just a hair harder to notice a Minotaur floor, but otherwise it's an interesting change.
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Postby Myconid32 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Duke The Wolf wrote:Been playing around with the new patch, things are looking good overall.

The T-Rexaur's heavy digestion message seems to be bugged, as well as the second line of the willing prey message, but I don't think this is new to 20.1, I just haven't been playing with heavy digestion much.

The gorgon's second line of willing anal vore dialogue also does not seem to work properly.

Those were the only errors I've noticed so far, haven't seen any that were grammatical in nature.

I noticed that the player spawns in a spot near the stairs instead of adjacent to them when traversing between floors, and don't see anything about it in the changelog. Just out of curiosity, is this change by design? It definitely makes it just a hair harder to notice a Minotaur floor, but otherwise it's an interesting change.

One of the T-Rexaur's lines was slightly too long, and I must have been distracted when I did the gorgon because it actually did not have complete text for its second set of willing anal vore lines. These have both been fixed for the next update, thanks!

As for the stair spawn, I am a bit confused. I also notice that the player does not appear adjacent to stairs and I feel like they did so in the past, but I did not actually change anything in that code. The game seems to think that the area immediately next to the stairs is part of a blueprint and prevents the player from spawning there. I removed that code for now and I will see if it break anything; for now, the player spawns adjacent to the stairs again like I feel they should.

Edit:
0.20.2: Details in the changelog.

Just a hotfix regarding the above-mentioned issues.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.20.2]

Postby liliam2007 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:29 pm

i have found sometimes that when i rest while im doing a run in debug.exe the game just shuts itself down for no apparent reason. when i go back to that run it happens the third time i press z
liliam2007
New to the forum

Postby Jinnee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 am

Hey, new to the game and this thread here, appreciate the work on this game you done over the years and love the mechanics.

Is there a way to mitigate crashing? Ive seen that its a consistent issue, and its troubling to leave a game knowing that my run, fair or fowl might be lost.

are there manual saves?
Jinnee
New to the forum

Postby Jinnee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Alright, after doing some delving on the net, it seems the risk of saves bugging is terminal...

Now, I think I noticed a thing with the description of the oni, hes called a called a guard dog.
Its a metaphorical description isnt it? we already have a hell hound.
Jinnee
New to the forum

Postby wetcardboardbox » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 am

In my experience:
  • Saving is pretty unreliable, though I haven't even tried in the last few builds so what do I know...
  • You can reduce crashes by avoiding switching floors while there's still a living prey inside a pred somewhere (including you), avoiding waiting to heal too much, and not skipping too many floors in debug.
  • Also it does look like the Oni is a metaphorical guard dog based on the wording.
wetcardboardbox
Somewhat familiar

Postby Myconid32 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:32 am

wetcardboardbox wrote:In my experience:
  • Saving is pretty unreliable, though I haven't even tried in the last few builds so what do I know...
  • You can reduce crashes by avoiding switching floors while there's still a living prey inside a pred somewhere (including you), avoiding waiting to heal too much, and not skipping too many floors in debug.
  • Also it does look like the Oni is a metaphorical guard dog based on the wording.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Saving was such an experimental part of the game when I started modding that I was not even aware of it until a tester pointed it out. I am not sure how to address it, and even if the developers of Brogue have since fixed it, I am not about to carve my code out of this version to put it into another. Sadly, the player is functionally unable to save consistently.

One reason (among many) that I have not updated recently is because I am trying to find new engines in which to represent the game, ones which will hopefully be more stable and visual. I don't want to keep building on something broken but changing the basis of the game will take time. Sorry :<

I appreciate that people are still playing and helping out, though! Keep being awesome.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Duke The Wolf » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Myconid32 wrote:
wetcardboardbox wrote:In my experience:

Yes, yes, and yes.

Saving was such an experimental part of the game when I started modding that I was not even aware of it until a tester pointed it out. I am not sure how to address it, and even if the developers of Brogue have since fixed it, I am not about to carve my code out of this version to put it into another. Sadly, the player is functionally unable to save consistently.

One reason (among many) that I have not updated recently is because I am trying to find new engines in which to represent the game, ones which will hopefully be more stable and visual. I don't want to keep building on something broken but changing the basis of the game will take time. Sorry :<

I appreciate that people are still playing and helping out, though! Keep being awesome.

A new engine sounds like it'd shake the game up quite a lot, so that's really exciting.
I am admittedly curious about how you intend to make the game more visual? Are you talking in terms of slight graphical tweaks to improve the visuals, or something more drastic, like the introduction of sprites to represent entities in game?

And this isn't me asking for you to do it; rather I do just want to throw out that if you were hypothetically taking on the task of acquiring art assets for Vrogue, I can at least speak for myself in saying I'd be willing to help with that financially (Won't say that for anyone else because I can't say for sure, but I doubt I'd be the only one)

Regardless, thanks as always for keeping this project going this long. It's the top of the line in terms of vore games as far as I'm concerned.
A signature in 2019? What is this, a forum?
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Postby Myconid32 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:32 am

Duke The Wolf wrote: I am admittedly curious about how you intend to make the game more visual? Are you talking in terms of slight graphical tweaks to improve the visuals, or something more drastic, like the introduction of sprites to represent entities in game?
[...]

Sprites. I know some people like using their imagination but I have drawn some sprite vore animations before and I am getting tired of just using text. I'd like to use a combination of the two so you have the nice descriptions but also something to look at. I have toyed with some designs but the real issue is finding an engine that can handle the code smoothly without a full rewrite.

I would be drawing assets myself, so finances are not required. Unless you meant donations, in which case the reason I have not set something like that up already is because I don't want to disappoint people if I get sick or burnt out. I appreciate the thought, though. Maybe once I properly finish.

I am glad you like what we have so far! I'm not sure "years of inactivity" counts as keeping the project going, but I haven't given up on it and interest from you guys keeps me motivated.

Edit: On a related note, how does one make a poll?
Edit-Edit: I figured it out but it is buggy as hell ;_;
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby bobthemailman21 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:03 am

Hell yea always interested in a vore roguelike, especially with Brogue which is probably my favorite traditional roguelike.
bobthemailman21
Been posting for a bit

Postby Myconid32 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:12 am

Okay, since the native polling feature freaks the fuck out when I try to use it, here's a Strawpoll link regarding the finish vs. upgrade choice I have. I'd like people to weigh in before I lean in one direction or the other.

http://www.strawpoll.me/43064456
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby wetcardboardbox » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 pm

It looks like mine's the unpopular opinion but I honestly like the current iteration of Vrogue. I think the ASCII-based game has all the strengths of a text based game with the bonus of being visually distinctive and intuitive to interact with. It let's your mind's eye visualize everything with the help of your great descriptions. I think any more representative visuals would have to be really well done to add much to the experience.

Other than that I think it really depends on how well the new engine would actually work, since the big goal is to reduce bugginess.
wetcardboardbox
Somewhat familiar

Postby Crazyman536 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:06 am

Directly speaking, transitioning now makes more sense. If you did more uniquely programmed enemies now, you'd have to re-figure out how to set it up in the new engine, doubling the work for a single enemy. While I rather like this style, I'd rather wait a bit longer and read that you are enjoying working on the game and art instead of slogging through writing/fixing enemy #50

If you are wanting to give options on preferred style, I'd recommend a toggle for art assets or classic letters. Partly recommending this because of how focused peoples interests are, ranging from feral (wolves & lions), demi/humanoid (incubus & glutton), human (barbarian & warlock) and monster (gryphon & dragon).
Crazyman536
Somewhat familiar

Postby Myconid32 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:00 am

Actually I was planning to be able to toggle between ASCII and graphics, for the benefit of those who prefer to use their imagination. It came up briefly waaaaaay back in the thread, I think, when I first considered adding graphics.

Based on the results on the poll, I think the best thing to do is what I have been doing: investigate new engines and work on the port, but check in every now and then and put up some content on this version.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game