Eka Official: Survey preference result

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Eka » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 pm

Click here

Add discussion below.

This is a continuation of this thread.
User avatar
Eka
Administrator
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Eka » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Also, please thanks foxgrandpa for the hard work of putting it all together. I barely did anything besides promote it, really.
User avatar
Eka
Administrator
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby foxygrandpa » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:12 pm

Feel free to post any comments or interesting things you noticed in general in this thread.


If you have a question you want to ask me specifically about or suggest something that may need to be changed, email [email protected] or PM me here.
Thanks!
Last edited by foxygrandpa on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby CardinalExeroth » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:55 pm

What a fascinating dive into our community. For as many things I had assumed correctly there were some others that took me by surprise. The results are of course biased towards those who use this forum as apposed to the ‘general vore community’ as it were, but I did find it quite interesting what a lack of furry and foot fetish representation there was given how prevalent those themes seem to be in visual artwork- at least those I typically come across. Furthermore I had always felt that non-fatal vore would be of a majority interest, so it was surprising to see this isn’t entirely the case. Also still kind of blows my mind how many people actually like vore literature when I myself can barely get through my own stories.

Huge, huge shoutout to foxygrandpa for putting this all together. This was no doubt a labour of love and quite the labour at that- so thank you so much for your hard work. I’d always been deeply curious what others think of vore and this is an invaluable insight into that.
Feedback helps artists like me grow! Leave a comment today~
-Cardinal Walker
User avatar
CardinalExeroth
New to the forum
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Humbug » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:12 pm

Nice work, Foxygrandpa! Wasn't too surprised by much of it, but confirmation is still interesting data. The biggest thing that surprised me is the number of people who identify as "observer/neither," but then I realized that I participate in the furry fandom about as much as the vore fandom, and furries are way more participatory and expect such more often than non-furries, so that's likely why since this is much more human-centric than some circles I run in.
User avatar
Humbug
---
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Coella

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby somedude601 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:32 am

I'm quite surprised at how few people identified as furries that took that survey. I mean, I was expecting a plurality, if not a majority, to be furries.
User avatar
somedude601
Participator
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:04 am

Something I'm curious about is the amount of people who like breast vore who:
- think of nipple vore when they think of breast vore
- think of cleavage vore when they think of breast vore
- prefer one of the above to the other/ like them both evenly
Image Image
User avatar
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:36 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Evergreenplate » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:27 am

Very insightful survey, but what was the sample size? Unfortunately this was the first time I'd heard or seen of this, and I regularly check in on the frontpage.
User avatar
Evergreenplate
New to the forum
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:45 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby again__again » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:19 am

Cool survey, glad to see the results, i would like to say however that some of your conclusions about "genetics" are kind of huge leaps of logic, and probably shouldnt be stated so confidently. for instance when you say "The large majority here indicates that interest in vore likely isn’t strongly influenced by the existence of intentionally made vore content or societal pressures. Thus, it is possible there is a significant genetic contribution towards interest." while genetics ARE a possible component to this, they are only one of many. more likely components, one of the common theories for the development of paraphilia has to do more with the idea of being imprinted strongly at a young age by certain experiences. this also might have some possible genetic correlation, or it might not. additionally, a lot of us grew up in early internet or pre-internet environments, before "vore" was a widely known term, but were still exposed to a lot of "vore" content through cartoons, video games, etc, so we could have easily been exposed to and interested in "vore" content, with no way to link it to the term "vore" for many years, just by virtue of our social context at the time. an interest in something without a full understanding of its social context is certainly not evidence for a genetic link.

The question later on about "initial reaction" where you say "Most of those surveyed reported having an instant or near instant interest in vore, despite an apparent lack of or in some cases negative societal pressures towards the concept." supposing a "near instant" interest in vore from these responses is also probably a misrepresentation, since i would posit that a great many of us developed our interests in vore in early childhood, before we would have any memory of them, it wasnt like we saw something one day and decided, 'yeah, im into this now,' but given that "ive been interested in vore as long as i can remember" wasnt an option in the poll, the next best was "interested as soon as i knew what it was." but either way, interpreting "interest in thing despite lack of or negative social pressure" = genetics, is again making huge leaps of logic and is really unfounded.

i have some experience studying genetics in my academic career and generally speaking, the more complex, psychological, or social a behavior or trait is, the less likely that it is directly linked to genetics, and the more likely it has developmental origins, i.e. something that changed in your brain after you were born / as you were growing up. it's still possible that there is some genetic predisposition, but a survey of a few hundred respondents saying "i liked vore before i knew the word for it" is not evidence, and really shouldnt be presented as such.
User avatar
again__again
Intermediate Vorarephile
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: that place

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby foxygrandpa » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:18 am

again__again wrote:Cool survey, glad to see the results, i would like to say however that some of your conclusions about "genetics" are kind of huge leaps of logic, and probably shouldnt be stated so confidently. for instance when you say "The large majority here indicates that interest in vore likely isn’t strongly influenced by the existence of intentionally made vore content or societal pressures. Thus, it is possible there is a significant genetic contribution towards interest." while genetics ARE a possible component to this, they are only one of many. more likely components, one of the common theories for the development of paraphilia has to do more with the idea of being imprinted strongly at a young age by certain experiences. this also might have some possible genetic correlation, or it might not. additionally, a lot of us grew up in early internet or pre-internet environments, before "vore" was a widely known term, but were still exposed to a lot of "vore" content through cartoons, video games, etc, so we could have easily been exposed to and interested in "vore" content, with no way to link it to the term "vore" for many years, just by virtue of our social context at the time. an interest in something without a full understanding of its social context is certainly not evidence for a genetic link.

The question later on about "initial reaction" where you say "Most of those surveyed reported having an instant or near instant interest in vore, despite an apparent lack of or in some cases negative societal pressures towards the concept." supposing a "near instant" interest in vore from these responses is also probably a misrepresentation, since i would posit that a great many of us developed our interests in vore in early childhood, before we would have any memory of them, it wasnt like we saw something one day and decided, 'yeah, im into this now,' but given that "ive been interested in vore as long as i can remember" wasnt an option in the poll, the next best was "interested as soon as i knew what it was." but either way, interpreting "interest in thing despite lack of or negative social pressure" = genetics, is again making huge leaps of logic and is really unfounded.

i have some experience studying genetics in my academic career and generally speaking, the more complex, psychological, or social a behavior or trait is, the less likely that it is directly linked to genetics, and the more likely it has developmental origins, i.e. something that changed in your brain after you were born / as you were growing up. it's still possible that there is some genetic predisposition, but a survey of a few hundred respondents saying "i liked vore before i knew the word for it" is not evidence, and really shouldnt be presented as such.



I appreciate your concern. It is definitely worded poorly. 'Strong' and 'significant' are poor adjectives to use here. A genetic argument can by no means be strongly asserted.

However, let us assume that the imprinting hypothesis is wholly correct. It does explain quite well why paraphilias often co-occur. What then causes some individuals to be more susceptible to imprinting than others? It would then again go back to environmental or genetic causes. We have seen demonstrated a combination of polygenetic and environmental causes demonstrated in what was formely considered a paraphilic disorder, homosexuality. To assert that similar causality may exist I do not feel is necessarily bad faith.

I did do some reading on published literature studying abnormal sexual interests and the few case studies on vorarephilia available. However, I've found only that the majority of research focuses on paraphilic disorders (one that inhibits the daily functions of ones life to be considered a mental disorder), and the conclusions oft drawn in these studies are indeterminate. In regards to imprinting, there really does not seem to be substantial evidence (at least, that I could find) indicating that sexual imprinting in humans exists.

I've removed the words 'strong' and 'significant' from the bits about the existence of possible genetic causes. If you find any material that you feel sufficiently contradicts this, spot me an email and I'll edit the rest of it as well. I try my best to avoid being ascientific but ultimately when I'm doing only a couple hours of reading before writing up a mostly for fun doc w/o any statistical hypothesis testing that isn't related to work some cracks can show thru.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby again__again » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 am

Fair enough. Thanks for puttng a good amount of work and research into this! :)
User avatar
again__again
Intermediate Vorarephile
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: that place

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby ItsSongxing » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:52 am

somedude601 wrote:I'm quite surprised at how few people identified as furries that took that survey. I mean, I was expecting a plurality, if not a majority, to be furries.


This poll was Eka's Portal centric, and the furry vore community seems a bit more spread out, due to places like FurAffinity being more accepting of vore than a given non-furry community. Eka's Portal is, generally speaking, a humanoid-centric website; while there are a couple notable furry/anthro-centric artists, like Shyguy9 or Servothehusky, a lot of the big names on the site are those who almost exclusively draw humanoids, like Karbo, Modeseven, Lampton, Bigbig, and so on.

That said, it's also a matter of identity. There are a lot of people who might enjoy furry/anthro characters, like Shyguy9's Sophie, Undertale's characters, anthro-bodied Pokemon (e.g. Blaziken, Lopunny, Gardevoir), and so on, but might not consider themselves a furry; it depends on where folks draw the line. Does "furry" simply mean "having an interest in media featuring anthropomorphic characters", or does it mean having a fursona, producing furry-related content, or even having a fursuit? People might have different answers, because identity is a fairly nebulous and subjective thing.

I think a bit of a bigger picture can be seen with the "vore or other content" question. While it should be taken with a grain of salt, on account of the phrasing of the question, it remains that the number of people who said they have a 4/5 or 5/5 interest in anthro-related content is nearly half of all respondents, with 5/5 being the plurality of the options at almost a third. So, there are more people with a very strong interest in anthro content than those who say they identify as a furry, and more people with a positive interest in anthro content than both the furries and unsure people combined. So, I'd say a plurality of people enjoy furry-related content to some degree on this site, possibly even in vore, just not so many with a strong furry identity.
User avatar
ItsSongxing
Participator
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:14 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby currant » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:53 am

Thank you, Foxygrandpa, for organizing this. BTW, I noticed a small typo at the section of the pred/prey sizes, there is an "option four" twice for two different things, while number five was skipped.
currant
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby BigClaudia » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:08 pm

Thanks for making the survey and sharing the results Foxy, honestly was unexpected to find out that there are many asexual members and i’ve thought to find less people who doesnt find it arousing but i’m glad to dont being alone C:
everyone know me as Claudia from Deviantart, you can google my nickname "BigClaudia" or "Voraciousfairy"
https://www.patreon.com/bigclaudia
User avatar
BigClaudia
New to the forum
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:32 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Stanku » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:01 am

This was easily the most advanced and well-made survey that I've seen on this site that offered some interesting insights. Thanks for doing it! There's a couple questions I was left wondering though:

a) How representative is the survey of Eka's user base?

b) Why was not age controlled for in the demographic questions? I understand it's a standard variable, and including it might've helped in making comparisons to the broader population. Nationality would've been another interesting factor there.

c) Did you find any interesting correlation groups among the vore content preferences that would give reason to think that there are certain user types, as opposed to it all being mixed up? Also, how did you compile the classes of preferences (I-III) or did this classification play any significant role in the survey? That is another potentially interesting area where correlation groups and possibly user types could be identified, if that is something you were interested in.
User avatar
Stanku
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby disguy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:33 am

ItsSongxing wrote:
somedude601 wrote:I'm quite surprised at how few people identified as furries that took that survey. I mean, I was expecting a plurality, if not a majority, to be furries.


This poll was Eka's Portal centric, and the furry vore community seems a bit more spread out, due to places like FurAffinity being more accepting of vore than a given non-furry community. Eka's Portal is, generally speaking, a humanoid-centric website; while there are a couple notable furry/anthro-centric artists, like Shyguy9 or Servothehusky, a lot of the big names on the site are those who almost exclusively draw humanoids, like Karbo, Modeseven, Lampton, Bigbig, and so on.

I certainly feel like this is the case. There's quite a lot of furry content that goes through the feed for uploads whenever I take a peek, but it seems like I see more human and demi-human stuff collectively here more frequently than furry content (although it's not exactly rare here either), so I'm more than willing to believe those results. Meanwhile, take a trip to FurAffinity and you'd be lucky if you found a human involved within, like, five pages of scrolling, especially one as predator.

I'm personally more than fine with the result though -- I suppose I mainly go to Furaffinity for my vore content, but I'd be a liar if I said that there weren't some GREAT art pieces that are more exclusive to this site. as long as i don't have to browse that cesspool twitter though, any site is fine anyway uwu

To kind of add to the discussion though, I'm honestly surprised cock vore in particular was apparently a very popular vore type for people with nearly half of those surveyed seemingly being interested in it to some degree. I'm sure the number would be much lower if exclusive-favorites were voted upon, but I don't feel like I see it too often compared to unbirth and anal. While I assume some of the popularity is also due to interest in futas alongside that of males, it's still a fascinating result to see either way! I suppose I'm not exactly a "die-hard cock vore fan" per-se, but I can certainly appreciate that I'm not exactly in the super-minority here when it comes to my interest in it~.
Last edited by disguy on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there he is
User avatar
disguy
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby foxygrandpa » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Stanku wrote:This was easily the most advanced and well-made survey that I've seen on this site that offered some interesting insights. Thanks for doing it! There's a couple questions I was left wondering though:

a) How representative is the survey of Eka's user base?

b) Why was not age controlled for in the demographic questions? I understand it's a standard variable, and including it might've helped in making comparisons to the broader population. Nationality would've been another interesting factor there.

c) Did you find any interesting correlation groups among the vore content preferences that would give reason to think that there are certain user types, as opposed to it all being mixed up? Also, how did you compile the classes of preferences (I-III) or did this classification play any significant role in the survey? That is another potentially interesting area where correlation groups and possibly user types could be identified, if that is something you were interested in.


a) The survey was opt-in and displayed in the gallery and forums section. While opt-in surveys are biased towards those who are more comfortable with describing details about themselves, given the lack of other data available and other studies showing a majority male interest it's likely fairly accurate. Very small minority populations may be slightly over or under represented.

b) Many questions were cut from the survey for brevity. This one primarily focused on trends in the community. In the future, one with much more open-ended, personal questions may be made available.

c) There are modalities, but many groups cross-pollinate quite strongly. Exclusive non-fatal fans are less likely to like scat, but 25% of them still answered in the affirmative. The most stark contrasts discovered were either listed or considered too redundant to include (non-fatal exclusive fans very, very rarely like graphic imagery). I have like 50 graphs that show little difference for many categories by gender and sexuality that I might bundle up as a zip file for the ultra-curious.


somedude601 wrote:I'm quite surprised at how few people identified as furries that took that survey. I mean, I was expecting a plurality, if not a majority, to be furries.


I believe that those who more strongly identify as furry may be less likely (to some degree, perhaps not large) to use aryion because of the prevalence of human content intended for heterosexual consumption. Furries as a group are ~20% heterosexual (according to furscience's polls) and much more tolerant of vore content than the general population (the vore tag is 6% as popular as the sex tag on e621). This has also been my own ancedotal experience (I'm on FA more frequently than here).
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby ItsSongxing » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:05 pm

I'm quite surprised that stories were the 2nd most form of media among respondents, and - while a mile behind 2D pictures, which is to be expected on this website - it even surpasses 3D animation, which has folks like Eskoz and CakeInferno representing it. I'm also somewhat surprised to see games be so popular, as it tends to involve at least as much of an active investment as stories, but often with more images used. In my experience, stories tend to do multiplicatively worse than images, on average, especially since there doesn't seem to be as much of a universal consensus on who the "big names" among Eka's Portal writers are, when contrasted with artists.

I'm also somewhat interested by how "Size Difference" is so close to Same Size in terms of the non-exclusive preferences, yet among people with exclusive preferences, it's much closer to the exclusive popularity of Macro/Micro. Similarly, Micro/Macro was almost twice as about 3/4ths as popular as Macro/Micro among non-exclusive folks, but is almost imperceptible compared to Macro/Micro among people with exclusive preferences. Yet, it's still a little over twice as popular as Imperceptible Prey, in both scenarios.

I think Micro/Macro being more popular among the non-exclusive crowd makes sense, since they might be into the belly aspect and thus would also like Same Size and Size Difference, but I can't explain the discrepancy for Size Difference in quite the same way.
User avatar
ItsSongxing
Participator
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:14 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby Observance » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:05 pm

This is incredibly interesting. Thank you so much for putting this together, I've been very curious to see data like this for a long time. Huge thanks to foxgrandpa for putting this together.
Observance
New to the forum
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 am

Re: Eka Official: Survey preference result

Postby CarbonSilicon » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:30 am

I wonder if this survey apply to people viewing without an account, since a lot of people probably view their fetish work without getting an account.
User avatar
CarbonSilicon
New to the forum
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:41 am

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AbsorbingMarkovState, currant, fan66