Made this mawshot of my oc and would like some feedback!

Are you looking for a place to post your work, hoping to receive comments, suggestions and criticisms? If so, this forum is for you! Showcase your stories, drawings, animations, and anything else you have created here. You can even upload your files directly to our site! Note: Everyone is free to share opinions of anything here. If you can't handle criticism, refrain from posting here!
Forum rules
This section is for any artist, writer, animator, or any form of creation to share their work in order to receive comment to improve themselves better.

Read the rules in detail here

Read the Critiquing suggestion here

Please open only one thread per person. Detail here.

Made this mawshot of my oc and would like some feedback!

Postby Travesseiro » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Did this just as practice and would like to know how to improve.
(sorry if i did smth wrong posting-wise, i'm not very used to these kinds of websites)
Attachments
wingy mouth but shaded.png
Travesseiro
New to the forum

Re: Made this mawshot of my oc and would like some feedback!

Postby Mecho » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 am

First things first: What is your goal? :) Knowing that is making it easier to give any advice.

I think it looks good, and the character have a nice color palette. The only thing is the blurriness of the lines and the spots. When coming to the spots, try to use a brush with harder edges.

And blurred lines can make a pic pop! Almost making a 3d effect, But when being to blurry it can be rather "rough" to look at.
But all in all. good job and have fun experimenting ^^
Mecho
---

Postby Travesseiro » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:59 am

Thank you so much! i'll try your advice with the sharper lines.
And i didn't make it with a particular goal, just to try it out. :P
Travesseiro
New to the forum

Postby Bright » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Really dig the drool liquid effect.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby KnightleyPaine » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 pm

Good:
++Excellent drool effect
++Consistent quality
+Neat pattern effect

Bad:
-Pupil color mismatch too severe for lighting
--Titled as 'OC', but is a recolor of Toothless/a Night Fury from 'How to Train Your Dragon' with teeth
-------Due to the above and choice of blue mucous tissue, chance the pupil color mismatch is actually hEteRoChrOmiA

Overall:
Decent grasp of tools, can decently create stylized recreation of existing design if no tracing took place, good linework in general regardless. Overall no technical issues, but the design take cues from garish furry OC school of attempted originality. Probably still works out if kept in niche realm of blue insides fetish.

Rating:
"Go! Toothy! Get out and slobber to the extreme!"/10

Suggestions:
90% of design issues can be placated if the design didn't also radiate Toothless energy i.e. conveyed a personality that was distinctive and had more personalized anatomy, both of which I actually believe you can do. Without some form of visual confirmation that you can make a Nightfury that is distinctive without relying on recolor/scars/nicks/piercings/tattoos, the recolor trope painfully overwhelms the OC's design and drags it kicking and screaming towards creative bankruptcy.
KnightleyPaine
Participator

Postby Travesseiro » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Thank you! i appreciate the feedback :P
The mismatched pupils are intentional, he is blind in one eye!
Yeah he is a recolor of toothless but i am quite attached to him, ill see if i can distinguish him further though!
thanks again and stay safe.
Travesseiro
New to the forum

Return to Work to be shared!