Question about idea for a game?

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Question about idea for a game?

Postby LunaMage » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:37 am

I have an idea for a game that I want to try making but am unsure if the it is ok to make it.

The game idea I have revolves around a character from an anime/manga.

I have seen and played many of the games here but have not seen many vore games based on a manga or anime (like Sailor Moon or Ranma Half for example) or even a book like Harry Potter.

Is that because it is ok to draw pictures or comics about them but not make a game as the few I did find (based on Pokémon) didn't last long before the games stopped being updated.

I am asking because I don't want to start making it then find out it's not alright to make it and post it here as in one part of the game there would be a crossover with other anime and manga.
LunaMage
New to the forum

Re: Question about idea for a game?

Postby MementoMori » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Even though it's rare, there's nothing making it not allowed, so I'd say go ahead! :)
One that comes to mind off the top of my head featuring anime characters is Barbftr: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=829
And looking through the vore game directory here: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=38739 I see that one is in the My Little Pony universe, and another is in Zootopia universe. :)
[ ʟɪᴠᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅʏɪɴɢ ]
MementoMori
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Anonymous111 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:41 am

it's fine so long as it's not close enough to Nintendo for them to hit you with copyright
Anonymous111
Somewhat familiar

Postby VictorBound » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:03 am

Honestly, weather or not it is "legal" depends upon multiple factors, and largely what country you are in. Using characters from an existing brand is often a violation of copywrite laws- so, if you release this in a country with strict laws on this, the original owners can have it taken down, and occasionally pursue legal action. That said, the internet is a pretty wide and complex place that a lot of copywrite infringement goes on unchecked. Also, sometimes if its a fan work, this can be legal under some conditions, and some companies allow fan works. That said, if its a video game company, they usually will not allow fan games, since those compete with the original IPs. there is a bit of a difference between a single fan art drawing, and a large complex game, that for many reasons fan games are hard to share around online.

Most likely, you'll be fine, and in most cases, if you were noticed by the rights holder, you would probably just get a threatening letter to take down your game. They dont have time to sue everyone who does this.

You should take some time to look up the copyright, and trademark laws of your country though, rather then just get advice from a random forum like this. Just google "copyright laws 'insert country' " and look for the official government websites.
VictorBound
Somewhat familiar

Postby Anonymous111 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:22 pm

VictorBound wrote:Honestly, weather or not it is "legal" depends upon multiple factors, and largely what country you are in. Using characters from an existing brand is often a violation of copywrite laws- so, if you release this in a country with strict laws on this, the original owners can have it taken down, and occasionally pursue legal action. That said, the internet is a pretty wide and complex place that a lot of copywrite infringement goes on unchecked. Also, sometimes if its a fan work, this can be legal under some conditions, and some companies allow fan works. That said, if its a video game company, they usually will not allow fan games, since those compete with the original IPs. there is a bit of a difference between a single fan art drawing, and a large complex game, that for many reasons fan games are hard to share around online.

Most likely, you'll be fine, and in most cases, if you were noticed by the rights holder, you would probably just get a threatening letter to take down your game. They dont have time to sue everyone who does this.

You should take some time to look up the copyright, and trademark laws of your country though, rather then just get advice from a random forum like this. Just google "copyright laws 'insert country' " and look for the official government websites.

just so long as it doesn't conflict with the original IP (aka the gameplay is too different or it's a different genre) or if the original owner (mostly just indie Devs) is cool with fangames than it's fine
Anonymous111
Somewhat familiar

Postby Skulker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:56 pm

A universal hard no is charging money for something that has someone else’s IP in it.
Skulker
Somewhat familiar

Postby Anonymous111 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:33 am

Skulker wrote:A universal hard no is charging money for something that has someone else’s IP in it.

unless it's touhou or a valve game, their cool with that kind of stuff (there's legit a paid touhou fangame, touhou luna nights, on steam)
Anonymous111
Somewhat familiar

Postby Dongers » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:19 pm

Anonymous111 wrote:
Skulker wrote:A universal hard no is charging money for something that has someone else’s IP in it.

unless it's touhou or a valve game, their cool with that kind of stuff (there's legit a paid touhou fangame, touhou luna nights, on steam)

You have to tell ZUN about your game though, but that isn't really a problem in most cases and is fair.
Dongers
Participator

Return to Vore game