This site does not support copyright violation!

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: This site does not support copyright violation!

Postby peteian » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:31 am

I has a question:
What if I drew a character from an anime, is it considered mine?
peteian
---

Postby Ka-Atis » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:32 pm

Abraxa wrote:It's one of the good things about Creative Commons licensing... allows some of us who are less uptight about copyright restrictions to escape from that art constricting madness. Might be nice if other Creative Commons supportive artists chime in here so we all can know who doesn't mind having their art shared, reproduced, altered, etc freely.

*raises hand*
The stuff on my homepage is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.
Now I eat you!}- >:-(.. ____ D: -{no.. nooo..
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby Ka-Atis » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:37 pm

peteian wrote:I has a question:

- Technically the picture is yours. But it may be legal limitations what you can do with that picture, when it contains a character belonging to somebody else, since that character is their intelectual property. It depends on what the owner of the character allows. Most owners of commercial characters don't mind fan-art as long as it is published non commercially and at low-scale only.
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby peteian » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Ka-Atis wrote:
peteian wrote:I has a question:

- Technically the picture is yours. But it may be legal limitations what you can do with that picture, when it contains a character belonging to somebody else, since that character is their intelectual property. It depends on what the owner of the character allows. Most owners of commercial characters don't mind fan-art as long as it is published non commercially and at low-scale only.

OH! Okay thanks a lot Ka-Atis >w< *Phew* I thought all those hours of drawing would go to waste >w<
peteian
---

Postby Ka-Atis » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 pm

I don't know what anime it is, but as you can see there are tons of fan-art here.. and actually everywhere.

When it comes to fan-art and copyright, I would like to add following story, which happened some time ago.

Some fans of Games workshop's 'Warhammer 40k' wanted to make a film - a story from the W40k universe. Games Workshop gave their ok. Then the fans worked on this project for several *years* and the result looked (as far as I can tell from the trailers) very good. Sad enough, actually *too* good: Games Workshop would not let them publish this film anymore, as the film itself or potential spin-off products like minatyres could cause direct competition to official Games Workshop items.

So yes, better not letting the fan-art become too big, too famous...
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby Rufus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Abraxa wrote:Might be nice if other Creative Commons supportive artists chime in here so we all can know who doesn't mind having their art shared, reproduced, altered, etc freely.

I'm going to go for Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 U.K, and get rid of the copyright notices in my pictures over the next few days, and not add it to any other pictures I do. So I'm in transition at the mo.

I'd rather not have people edit my work, but redistribute with a namedrop is always fine. Hell, if someone did redistribute it with name service I'd take it as a compliment if I ever found out ^^;
Rufus
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby peteian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:48 am

Ka-Atis wrote:I don't know what anime it is, but as you can see there are tons of fan-art here.. and actually everywhere.

When it comes to fan-art and copyright, I would like to add following story, which happened some time ago.

Some fans of Games workshop's 'Warhammer 40k' wanted to make a film - a story from the W40k universe. Games Workshop gave their ok. Then the fans worked on this project for several *years* and the result looked (as far as I can tell from the trailers) very good. Sad enough, actually *too* good: Games Workshop would not let them publish this film anymore, as the film itself or potential spin-off products like minatyres could cause direct competition to official Games Workshop items.

So yes, better not letting the fan-art become too big, too famous...

OH. Ok... well, few people know about the anime in the first place as far as I can tell (Lucky Star). What worries me is my Naruto fan-art. I mean, I didn't include Naruto characters, but I put in their "Jutsus", specifically Neji's jutsu (Neji Hyuuga details here: http://www.naruto-kun.com/hyuuga-neji/ if anyone wants to know) like Byakugan and 8 Trigrams 64 Palms but, they are put in a new character which I created named "Peter Hyuuga" A.K.A. Neji's son. My vore drawings are based on my comics which includes Naruto Jutsu, 1 Lucky Star character and Powerpuff Girls Z. I'm not going to publish it or anything and only my Best friends know of it... until now of course. ^^;
I am planning on editing my character and completely removing the Naruto stuff from him sooner or later. I just have to revise his techniques so that they're BASED ON Naruto, but not the same as the ones from Naruto itself. That's counted as mine right? Even if it was based on another anime?
Or is it okay to just put their jutsu on my character?

Sorry if I ask too much questions, but I just gotta be careful... I don't want anything bad happening to Eka's Portal because of my failures >x< :cry:
peteian
---

Postby Ka-Atis » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:57 pm

I guess the best thing to do is to simply post some of your work here and ask for the opinion from others. Right now I don't see any problem, but I also have to admit I'm not an expert: I don't know so much about Naruto characters, my knowledge is much limited to that one video clip where the one guy (Naruto??) gets swollowed by a snake. However, there should be enough Naruto fans around here who may be able to help more than I can do. :)

In general, this is the question about similarities between own characters and the original characters which served as inspiration or template for making that character. How similar can they be without risking any trouble with copyrights? I have often wondered about that myself too.
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby dokudoku » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Whoa o_0 who made eka finally snap?

I do agree with the 0% tolerance of distributing copyrighted material, if the artist does not wish for it, he/she has the right to it.
dokudoku
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby peteian » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 am

Ka-Atis wrote:I guess the best thing to do is to simply post some of your work here and ask for the opinion from others. Right now I don't see any problem, but I also have to admit I'm not an expert: I don't know so much about Naruto characters, my knowledge is much limited to that one video clip where the one guy (Naruto??) gets swollowed by a snake. However, there should be enough Naruto fans around here who may be able to help more than I can do. :)

In general, this is the question about similarities between own characters and the original characters which served as inspiration or template for making that character. How similar can they be without risking any trouble with copyrights? I have often wondered about that myself too.

Okay thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. At least now I know how to be more careful
peteian
---

Postby Abraxa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:34 am

Last edited by Abraxa on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxa
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby peteian » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:58 am

Really? COOL! That leaves the Lucky Star creators to worry about >x< Or do they encourage too? OwO
peteian
---

Postby Abraxa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:30 am

Last edited by Abraxa on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxa
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Ka-Atis » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Abraxa wrote:Peteian... There's actually a culture and climate around Japanese animation where fan art is either accepted or in some cases encouraged. People at comic conventions and such in Japan will even print and sell unauthorized Doujinshi which parody characters from popular animations... I could be wrong... but there seems to be no real concerted efforts from the companies who own licenses to shut down any of that activity... and like I said... it honestly seems like these fan parodies are encouraged...

That's the right spirit. Freedom of art. As long as credits are given correctly to the owners, fans do not turn it into business or generally try to "take over", I think this is a really good thing.
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby Fail » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:54 pm

*clap clap*
Hella Yh!
Fail
Been posting for a bit

Postby Gypa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 pm

One thing that need to be corrected you don't copyright characters you trademark them.
Gypa
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Ka-Atis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 am

Gypa wrote:One thing that need to be corrected you don't copyright characters you trademark them.

there are both. a character can be copyright protected as well as trademark protected. while the former doesn't cost you anything and happens automatically, the latter one is way more effective.
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby Jurodan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 am

Ka-Atis wrote:
Gypa wrote:One thing that need to be corrected you don't copyright characters you trademark them.

there are both. a character can be copyright protected as well as trademark protected. while the former doesn't cost you anything and happens automatically, the latter one is way more effective.

If that's true that's news to me. I've never heard of copyrighting a character before. Where have you seen that?
Busy giving humanity a bad rep.
Jurodan
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Ka-Atis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:46 am

It is true that you don't activily copyright characters, as the character automatically becomes copyrighted when the work containing the character is created. You can additionally trademark your character, but the character is copyrighted property even when it's not trademarked. So we can say, you "copyright your character" when you make a work with this character.
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

PreviousNext

Return to General Vore Discussion