Insect vore?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Insect vore?

Postby 4ofSwords » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:12 am

Insect vore - it seems like there's so little of it. I'm not talking about the videos where some poor girl swallows a cockroach, but rather wasps and ants and spiders and beetle characters as each other's predators and prey. (I supposed technically I should say "arthropod vore" instead of "insect vore"?)

Now this is not one of those posts that then continues on to say: link me to, or post, or make me some; I know the rules, and I know that I'm capable enough in my own way of making art or writing stories. I also know that there is some - I have a wasp gal in my gallery, and there are several others in the archives, not to mention the drider phenomenon and our very own Alexander the Ant and Mimi the Slaga (that counts, right?) The fact is, even though I've been kicking around various arthropod ideas for the last few years, they've always just fallen flat as soon as they get out of my head and onto paper.

I'm just curious why other people think this hasn't taken off? So much is possible in the insect world - macro/micro is natural, and the hard vore is sufficiently soft or hard as you like it. You have sexual predators, and not just the obvious like spiders and praying mantises (I found this link off reddit this morning: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... tml?page=1 ); and of course the non-sexual predators are plentiful as well. There's all sorts of interesting behavioral and social models: the sororities of wasps and ants, the solitude of hunting spiders, the various stages in the life cycles, etc.

So what do you think it is that makes them less interesting? The extra legs? The chitinous shell? It can't be that only mammals are cuddly - there are plenty of alien characters on the board far more frightening in the face than a grasshopper, and expressive lips and eyes are that much more foreign on a beetle than they would be on a snake, are they?
4ofSwords
???

Re: Insect vore?

Postby Quantium » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 am

Well when I was around 12-16 years old (don't remember exactly) I had a vore character, it was a female spider. Many times each week I drew her eating other characeter, I completely loved that spider as pred.

I wouldn't mind insect vore today.
Quantium
???

Postby 4ofSwords » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 am

D1g1talDesignzor wrote:stuff

Off-topic: I've been thinking of requesting a way to block only images in signature files, since they seem to be so dominant at times. As of today I'm elated that never happened. That is hilarious, DD.
4ofSwords
???

Postby Syndrome » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:42 am

I think it may have a lot to do with the method of which most insects engage in eating, such as flies and spiders who use acids and venom to liquefy their food before consuming as opposed to opening a mouth and taking food in solid. It seems to me because, oh I'd say roughly 89%, give or take, of the vore community are taken more to soft vore, they avoid insects for that fact. That's just my conjecture though.
Syndrome
Participator

Postby 4ofSwords » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:56 am

Syndrome wrote:I think it may have a lot to do with the method of which most insects engage in eating, such as flies and spiders who use acids and venom to liquefy their food before consuming as opposed to opening a mouth and taking food in solid. It seems to me because, oh I'd say roughly 89%, give or take, of the vore community are taken more to soft vore, they avoid insects for that fact. That's just my conjecture though.

I was thinking that may be it, but soft vore isn't really natural for most of the species running around in our chat room - at least the ones that aren't cone snails and frogs.
4ofSwords
???

Postby Quantium » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 am

Where is peoples imaginations? Insects can swallow whole too, if you just imagine/draw/write it. Everything can =P

4ofSwords wrote:Off-topic

lol you are the third one commenting it xd
Quantium
???

Postby Syndrome » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 am

D1g1talDesignzor wrote:Where is peoples imaginations? Insects can swallow whole too, if you just imagine/draw/write it. Everything can =P

Well Hell, yeah, any one can imagine it, I have been since first reading this thread =P, but what I was aiming at is most people wouldn't approach them just out of the sheer fact there are far more predators with jaws readily available to use. I think it's more of motivation as oppose to imagination, perhaps people would rather spend more time on thinking of the act instead of something to commit the actions, but who can say?

@ 4ofSwords - I never new that, heh-heh, cone-snail huh? That sounds fun, but back on topic, it could be also a fact that bugs are over killed to some existent in movies as predators. I know for a while there just about ever B-movie on SciFi/SyFy had an insect monster in some way, shape, or form. Again, it is all just speculation on my part.
Syndrome
Participator

Postby Jacquelope » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am

Syndrome wrote:I think it may have a lot to do with the method of which most insects engage in eating, such as flies and spiders who use acids and venom to liquefy their food before consuming as opposed to opening a mouth and taking food in solid. It seems to me because, oh I'd say roughly 89%, give or take, of the vore community are taken more to soft vore, they avoid insects for that fact. That's just my conjecture though.

How do giant centipedes eat? I saw a video of one attacking a mouse.
Experiment: Will a grenade kill a giant naga by exploding in its belly?
Test #1: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga''s mouth.
Test #2: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga's throat.
Further tests delayed until another live specimen can be acquired.
Jacquelope
???

Postby 4ofSwords » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:50 am

Jacquelope wrote:How do giant centipedes eat? I saw a video of one attacking a mouse.

Similarly to chewing insects, per the mighty WIkipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthparts
4ofSwords
???

Postby 4ofSwords » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 am

Syndrome wrote:@ 4ofSwords - I never new that, heh-heh, cone-snail huh? That sounds fun, but back on topic, it could be also a fact that bugs are over killed to some existent in movies as predators. I know for a while there just about ever B-movie on SciFi/SyFy had an insect monster in some way, shape, or form. Again, it is all just speculation on my part.

That's very true. And speculation is just what I'm interested in!
4ofSwords
???

Postby Syndrome » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:52 am

Jacquelope wrote:How do giant centipedes eat? I saw a video of one attacking a mouse.

Good question! On to Wikipedia! From I can tell it digests it's prey while it crams them into it's mouth with a nice set of mandibles. {I'm Helping!} and . . . {I'm Helping} Any help? :D

@ 4ofSwords - I'm good at that. :P And you beat me to the answers. :P
Syndrome
Participator

Postby Sparky_the_chu » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 am

well, soft vore with a bug could be arranged...afterall, it isn't like we draw anything close to reality, so why not bending the rules a little ? >:3
Sparky_the_chu
Artist

Postby again__again » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

its because they're creepy...
and they are nearly impossible to anthropomorphise with. mammals are easy,a nd reptiles are a little more difficult but still plausible, but insects are just so alien its just plain impossible for most people to anthropomorphise with an arthropod.
and they're creepy.
again__again
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Syndrome » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:52 pm

I won't post the same images in a different board, but here is some wicked fruits culled from my twisted mind. Last two on the bottom. {Bug Fodder}
Syndrome
Participator

Postby 4ofSwords » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:32 pm

again__again wrote:its because they're creepy...

I can buy that, but I thought maybe "A Bug's Life" and "Antz" and "Bee Movie" and, well, countless other athromorphicizations might have inspired people.

Course, I kinda like creepy, so that may just be me. :)
4ofSwords
???

Postby KavenBach » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Myself I tend not to anthropomorphisize (That a word?) my preds overall; I prefer beasts to be beasts. When I do, though, I go with those already existing in myth (werewolves, minotaurs) or something close to it. Turning an insect humanoid, to me, is a little harder precisely because, as has been said, the chitin-shell makes it a little harder to do. Maybe I just like to see the shapeliness and/or muscles?

I *do* go with non-anthro arachnid and insect preds from time to time. For me the "They're creepy" factor is exactly the appeal, and I strongly favor the use of venom to subdue or even arouse the prey. Long before discovering the Portal I already had the delightfully cruel "manspiders" who paralyzed their prey, wrapped it up, and "played" with her and fed off her for a long time.

To me a horde of small critters swarming over a person and reducing them to bones or even less (again, before the Mummy came out, it was all in my head) is terrible and... well, I like the horror aspect of it. Having a large insect devour its prey is equally terrible. In the last SOS story a giant Mantis cut a girl to pieces with its serrated limbs before eating her; in a stand-alone SOS tale three women fell to a swarm of mosquitoes of different sizes; in a recent series my sorceress Chelsea got paralyzed and sucked up by a giant centipede. After all, if you disregard real facts about centipede feeding habits, isn't that critter like a giant snake, just with segments?

I like insects as preds, but rarely as humanoids. That said... I should give 'em a try. :wink:
"Lady, I WARNED you that my plants wouldn't tolerate tresspassers, either! NOW look at you!"
"Mmh! Mmh!"

https://www.patreon.com/KavenBach
KavenBach
DamselDangerologist

Postby GREGOLE » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 pm

I've always loved bugs, so I fully support the idea of using them as predators more often.

To those who complain that real insects don't tend to swallow their prey whole unless it's MUCH smaller than them, let me point out that real insects also aren't fortuitous enough to stand as tall as a man. If you're going to take the liberty of creating a large, fictional bug, why not go ahead and make it prefer to swallow its prey whole? It's nothing new to fiction.
GREGOLE
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Jacquelope » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:58 pm

4ofSwords wrote:

Similarly to chewing insects, per the mighty WIkipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthparts

Okay cool, I knew that centipedes were fairly hard vorish creatures which would basically fit them in with the hard vore crowd. You can even anthro-ize ants. (See: "Z")
Experiment: Will a grenade kill a giant naga by exploding in its belly?
Test #1: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga''s mouth.
Test #2: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga's throat.
Further tests delayed until another live specimen can be acquired.
Jacquelope
???

Postby The Swarm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am

Im my personal opinion any thing with an abdomem is perfect for UB, spiders, wasps, ants all great (im tryin to draw a humanoid spider girl, but i keeps coming out like a copy of black rains.)
Im here most nights 7 till 10 british time. If that time works for you and you want to rp then give me a pm, im usually open ^^.

Currently looking for: Character tester and someone to bounce story ideas/segments off of.
The Swarm
---

Postby Very » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Last edited by Very on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very
Intermediate Vorarephile

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion