New Chat Update

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

New Chat Update

Postby Leshana » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Time sure flies, it is already a month after the new chat went live!

1) Technical Stuff
With the new chat we changed the room structure, but it was primarily the introduction of brand new software. As far as the technical aspects of the new chat software, we have received overwhelmingly positive support with a few complaints mainly to do with missing features and browser compatibility. In this version, we ditched support for Opera (for now) and opted for Chrome/Safari instead to cover more platforms since Opera is more of an alternative while Safari is platform specific on Macs. Understandably, a few people (About 8 users) have decreased functionality but several people (about 50~ users) have increased functionality. Unfortunately, those are just programming choices we will have to make. We will never please everyone, so we try to please the most people. Leshana will be making a separate post to cover the features added since go-live.

2) Rules & Room Setup Stuff
It is a bit of a hit-and-miss. The new room setup was, to be fair, an experiment. We tried to maximize varieties for a couple groups of people, giving all of them even coverage. To sum it up, we learned a few things!

Chat Dynamics:
yearly graph.png

On this graph, you can see a few things:
1) The chat started on March 14th. We can see that general population increased by 10%.
2) At first, the user distribution was very even, but is starting to stray with the vore room picking up in usage while Roleplay room and OOC room usage is dropping rapidly.
3) Library seems to be a very popular function room

Considering our goal is to distribute the users more evenly. Does that means our goal has failed? Personally, I don't think so. The old setup was there for 4 years after occasional tweaks. This new setting has only been in use for one month. So far, we had only made one tweak in favor of the vore room. This is to increase roleplay timer from 30 minutes to an hour.

Sadly, after that change we are seeing a flocking effect: People who are looking for roleplay simply go to the room with the most people, making the Vore room very overcrowded as a result and leaving the roleplay experiences in Roleplay room quite a bit lower.

On top of that, due to the overwhelming number of people flocking to vore room (which was initially a problem for ooc/ic room too until we tweaked it), the OOCW room is receiving much less attention since it is now for strictly discussion and RP is no longer possible.

To counter that we are going to add some tweaks.

1) New rule
Remember those LFRP post? Those are going to be a thing of the past.

No more saying (( LFRP )) in the chat. Or any other form of public roleplay solicitation or advertisement. To let people know you are looking for roleplay, simply use the status and set yourself to LFRP. If you have specific thing you are looking for, use profile! Possibly put it right up top in order to let people know what you are looking for.

Just to clarifies on LFRP post being disallowed:

1) Basically, asking for roleplay, and stating that you are looking for roleplay in public is being discontinued, please use the status instead, if you have specific request, use your profile, saying a summery of the type of scene you want up on the top should work just fine.

2) Saying (Open) after your introduction rolelpay post in the roleplay room is still acceptable, it is not considered advertisement to specifies that your post is not directly aiming for someone yet.

2) Ticker
Of course, we are not going to just disallow public messages without giving something to replace it. Here is our solution:

2.jpg

Underneath of the message input box will be something we call a "Ticker". People in all rooms will see who is currently LFRP, OPEN, or other roleplay status. They will be able to see their profile and whisper them directly.

Of course, to further empathize that the vore room is not for people looking for roleplay, your name will only show up in the ticker when you are in the Roleplay room and OOCW room with the correct status. Library, game room and motel are for people who already arranged something, so people in those rooms would not have their status advertised. Vore room is for people to hang out, for people who want to talk, but also don't mind running into roleplay. If you are looking for roleplay, you should try our designated Roleplay room.

3) Other changes
We fear that just adding those are not going to be enough, so we will be modifying the effect of the LFRP, OPEN, PREY, and PRED status in the vore room. *Basically those status will no longer display in those room. We expect people to make use of the other rooms we have available when they are looking for something more specific, instead of flocking to the biggest room for the attention.

Hopefully, these changes we are adding down the pipe line will be enough to revise the unbalanced dynamic and give every type of user a better experience!

* Edited by Eka
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Re: New Chat Update

Postby Aces » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 am

This should be interesting. LFRP, obsolete. I never thought I'd see the day. :)
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Eka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Just to clarifies on LFRP post being disallowed:

1) Basically, asking for roleplay, and stating that you are looking for roleplay in public is being discontinued, please use the status instead, if you have specific request, use your profile, saying a summery of the type of scene you want up on the top should work just fine.

2) Saying (Open) after your introduction rolelpay post in the roleplay room is still acceptable, it is not considered advertisement to specifies that your post is not directly aiming for someone yet.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Kailen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:34 pm

I don't know how you can call LFRP "obsolete" when they are now actively pushing that you actually use the status icon for it. Which is what people should have been using from the beginning. The "(( LFRP ))" posts are being phased out, as well they should be. They've always been disruptive.
Kailen
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Kailen wrote:I don't know how you can call LFRP "obsolete" when they are now actively pushing that you actually use the status icon for it. Which is what people should have been using from the beginning. The "(( LFRP ))" posts are being phased out, as well they should be. They've always been disruptive.

We did said LFRP post.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Neat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 pm

I actually quite liked the ((LFRP)) posts. But that's just me and I can easily get used to the new setup.

All in all i'm in favour of the changes. Over the last few weeks it has just been bare in the roleplay room and I don't want to go to the vore room because I like more serious planned roleplay rather than mess about in OOC until it gets bigger, which seems to be the goal of the vore room. But in the end sometimes i've had to move since it has been either me on my own or me and like two other people or something.. it's ridiculous x.x
Neat
New to the forum

Postby Imrhys » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Considering I'm one of those people that rotates through a wide range of moods rp'ish, this new system poses an issue for me:

The LFRP's where the person specified what they were looking for clears up all issues for what I'd be looking for on a specific day. But this new system requires me to change all alts every mood shift...

Normally for me neither of these is an issue. I have enough people that want to rp with me or that i have pending rp's "waiting". BUT if i am in a specific mood... this new system would require me to whisper the entire chat-alt list logged on, since i cannot just post it once publically. Thus making LFRP'ing a sudden mood shift... frankly infeasible and not worth the effort of even trying now.

When fun becomes work, it loses all entertainment value. Few come here to continue working.

Just a thought, since even for me this would be a highly rare occurrence.
Imrhys
---

Postby Eka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Imrhys wrote:Considering I'm one of those people that rotates through a wide range of moods rp'ish, this new system poses an issue for me:

The LFRP's where the person specified what they were looking for clears up all issues for what I'd be looking for on a specific day. But this new system requires me to change all alts every mood shift...

Normally for me neither of these is an issue. I have enough people that want to rp with me or that i have pending rp's "waiting". BUT if i am in a specific mood... this new system would require me to whisper the entire chat-alt list logged on, since i cannot just post it once publically. Thus making LFRP'ing a sudden mood shift... frankly infeasible and not worth the effort of even trying now.

When fun becomes work, it loses all entertainment value. Few come here to continue working.

Just a thought, since even for me this would be a highly rare occurrence.

I don't see why you can't just use the alt you want to use and edit the profile you want to reflect in the ticker. Why do you need it across all your alt? You can only post one LFRP post before anyway.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Cosm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:55 am

I appreciate the restrictions on making LFRP posts, but why also get rid of many of the status icons for some rooms? They're always useful no matter what room you're in, and are completely unobtrusive. In particular, "OPEN" seems to be specifically designed for the Vore Room (not out seeking RP in public, but open to a whispered approach), yet it doesn't work there.
Cosm
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Cosm wrote:I appreciate the restrictions on making LFRP posts, but why also get rid of many of the status icons for some rooms? They're always useful no matter what room you're in, and are completely unobtrusive. In particular, "OPEN" seems to be specifically designed for the Vore Room (not out seeking RP in public, but open to a whispered approach), yet it doesn't work there.

Not at all. Vore room is designed to be as unrestrictive as possible, but not a all purpose room.

As Leshana addressed in first post. It is important to balance the usage. If someone is open, all they have to do is post something to specifies that they are open. Having tag there isn't really necessary in the first place. It is a mean to empathizes which room you should go if you are looking for roleplay. As it stands, if we allow those tag, people won't need to go to any other room since Vore room can see status from other room through the ticker, and the status in the vore room itself.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Cosm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:02 pm

I see it as a good thing to have most people in one room. That way you don't have to keep circling around to find people.

Though actually, that "Rooms" link on the top is pretty handy, but it's also a hassle because the frame keeps reverting back to the current room after a few seconds. Maybe that could be fixed?
Cosm
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 am

Cosm wrote:I see it as a good thing to have most people in one room. That way you don't have to keep circling around to find people.

For some individual who don't care about public activity, it might be better, but for the overall health of the chat, we already highlighted why it is a really bad things.

Though actually, that "Rooms" link on the top is pretty handy, but it's also a hassle because the frame keeps reverting back to the current room after a few seconds. Maybe that could be fixed?

It is in the todo list.
Eka
Administrator

Library tags

Postby Shmendrich » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 am

I cant find any topic regarding the fact that that the LFRP and OPEN tags are no longer visible in the library room, may i ask if there's a post where this is being discussed?
Shmendrich
Somewhat familiar

Re: Library tags

Postby Aiden » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 am

there is no topic for this that I know of.

I assume they are gone because the library is for people who have already found someone to RP with them and that people should be sitting in other rooms if they are LFRP
Aiden
Participator

Postby Shmendrich » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Well i usually sit there LFRPING because im interested in private roleplay only, and a lot of people did the same which is why they were there and with either that or the open sign.
Shmendrich
Somewhat familiar

Postby Aiden » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 pm

If you have your LFRP tags up in the roleplay room though people will "poke" you with a whisper to ask for an rp, and then all you need to do is ask them to move to the library for a private rp.

(I'm neutral on this change btw, I'm just saying what I'm assuming the staff would say)
Aiden
Participator

Postby Eka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:10 pm

chat_room-year.png

It is an attempt to balance the chat room. Lately traffic have been falling over to the library rather then the Roleplay room or the vore room. So we made some changes to empathizes that the library is not meant for someone to go and look for roleplay. More a place for people who already found some one and wish to stays in private.

TL;DR: Library is OP, got nerfed.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Imrhys » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11 pm

If the library is for private RP's and not seeking RP's, why are the AWAY and DND signs removed? These tell people to not bother you while in there. Just because people can't show LFRP and OPEN, doesn't mean random people won't PM ya anyways. I agree with the removing all other signs except the DND and AWAY. I had begun to see far too much LFRP, IC, and OOC in the library and a drop off in the RP'ing in the RP and Vore rooms without any charts.

And yes, I realize people can just not respond to PM's, but having the signs available means people can complain about someone nagging them/harassing them without all the drama these things tend to cause. (well without SOME of the drama that sometimes can happen)
Imrhys
---

Postby Aiden » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:23 pm

I agree that allowing the DND and away tags in there could be a good idea
Aiden
Participator

Postby Eka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

It is allowed.
Eka
Administrator