[PLEASE READ] Community and Commenting

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Postby JakuArts » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:10 am

Well I guess this is the big topic here. Eka has a fantastic site here, and I know were all enjoying every moment of it. But theres one thing I wanted to bring up. To artists, viewers, and writers alike.
Its that little comment box at the bottom of everything in the gallerys!

As an artsy kind of guy myself, Ive seen the power of that little comment box. A few words can motivate people to grow, push them to get better at the things that they are personally struggling with. We all are! Dont deny it! A thoughtful sentance that goes into the "WHY" you think you like this or dont can really help an artist grow and in turn make more art! You enjoy lookin at it dontcha! Well all I can say is, take a moment and plop down a few thoughts. And you might be surprised when you start to get to know the artist a little better. Cause trust me, were a pretty wierd bunch!

Anyway, please dont get me wrong here. Im not fishing for comments either. I really do love this place, and I want to see it grow. This is one of those steps you know!

And it looks like im not the only one who thinks this! Eka's news post from a month ago!
-=-=-==-=--==--=-==-=-=-=--
As we all know. The artists here all did a great job of providing us with their work, which took quite a lot of time to do
If you enjoyed any of their work. The least you can do is to provide them with some much needed and deserved comments and suggestions. Your comment is the greatest rewards you can give without costing you anything, and every word are worth showing to the artists. Please, here I urge, give generously.
JakuArts
Artist

Postby Eka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:33 pm

The commenting part deserves a sticky. Artists here really really deserves more input. When you are clicking away using my bandwidth and obtain all these picture for free. Please considers donating a few seconds of your time and make a comment on the artists works.
Seriously. That is all I wanted.
Eka
Administrator

one more thing...

Postby Eka » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:29 am

This is also something needed to be said and aim toward the artists/writer. Please feel free to answer the comments you receive for your work. There are several reasons why you want to make answers to your comments.

1) Many of the casual viewer are used to places where they can not leave comment, or the artist are not usually a regular visitor to the site. Therefore there are really no point for them to leave anything. If you see someone comment to your work, responding to them will show the community that you are here and you are watching and hoping to get feedback. Therefore people will definitely be more willing to make them.

2) It encourage communication. I know some of you are used to places where long winded conversation in a gallery is considered spamming. I must stress that this is not how this portal work. Feel free to add as much as possible. It doesn't pollute the screen nor does it waste any space. We have plenty to go around on both count.

3) Comments tend to collects up. You usually will find one picture having a lot more comment then anything else in the same album and that is the reason. Having more conversation encourage people to join them and let you (the artists/writer) knows how they feel about your drawing.

Please, also be warned, people are simply too shy on making constructive criticism because of many thing happened to those who do in the past. I know all the artists here like them since I know pretty much all of you personally, but the casual user who doesn't even registers an account won't know that. People are too used to simply go onto a site, look at stuff, and leave after seeing them. Which is not a healthy way to create a community. That is why this place certainly work differently then most vore gallery, because this place is here for the artists first, then the viewer second. Unless you are willing to make a present to show the reader you are paying attention. It is very hard for me to convince the 4000+ unique viewers we have a day without your help! Especially for those who like to see more suggestion or comment on their work!

Finally, if you have something to add to that. Please don't be shy to reply!
Eka
Administrator

Postby Francois » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Did ou increase the character limit on comments?
Francois
"Ask me about animated gifs"

Postby Eka » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:22 pm

I cannot increase the character limit. So if you have a comment that is longer, just enter it in two or three comments. Please. ^^
Eka
Administrator

Postby boredpenguin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:50 pm

No fair you know all the artist personally? ..LUCKY!

Anyway, What would you suggest if say, you like the artists work overall and don't really have a favorite. And if you left comments they'd all say the samething? I like the way Jaku made a seperate space for comments. It's a place where he leaves update notes, but it's also a good place to leave general comment like how much you like his work. Which I like by the way.
boredpenguin
don't care ^^

Postby Eka » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:21 pm

That isn't about luck. Just treat people with respect and you get the same in returns. Try it, it works.

I am suggesting that those artists who want to have people comment should make a present here. I understand I don't have the best system in the word, ideally, each gallery additional should automatically create a topic for their forum. And it should mimic Deviantart more. However, I suck at coding and this is the best I can come up with so far... x.x.

If you want to compliment to the artist. There is a forum for each of them. However, it is hard to get new user to post something when the artist didn't even make an introduction of themselves in their own forum. It intimates new user from making comment.

Beside, it is just a suggestion. I was simply speaking from a psychology standpoint on what will help. With or without their present user should feel still very encouraged to make comment and shows appreciation to the their arts. This place does not need donation in term of money, but this place still need more contribution!

I know people who wish to contribute to the community, but don't have time/skill/whatever to draw/write. Well here is your chance. Add something to the community by giving the artists what they need.

Come on people! Don't make me runs flashing banner ads asking you to make comment!
Eka
Administrator

Postby boredpenguin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:08 pm

Oh ok! It takes luck to actually meet them and have time to talk to them. I would have no problem showing respect and being nice, it comes natural to me. I just can't seem to meet them.

Yea they definately should make an appearance that tells people about them. I know I hold a lot of them in high regard. I guess it has something to do with my unability to even draw a tree that resembles a tree. My stick figures aren't even straight. LOL! But hey, while we're getting to meet them, wouldn't it be cool to see what artists really look like?

^^; you're a good coder, this website is pretty damn good. I've viewed the source and it's very well put together. You're just humble ^^. Oh, by the way, what did you need help with? I'm a pretty good coder myself. I'm intermediate, not an amature but not a coding master... ..at least not when it comes to web languages.

It's said that you shouldn't tell a person how to do something, you should tell them what you want done and let them surprise you with their enginuity. So don't be so hard on yourself Eka, you may have just found a great new idea. I'm just glad you're open to suggestions.
boredpenguin
don't care ^^

Re: [PLEASE READ] Community and Commenting

Postby Rodent » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:30 am

Jakuhaienzeru wrote:...A thoughtful sentance that goes into the "WHY" you think you like this or dont can really help an artist grow and in turn make more art!...

While I agree completely on the benefits of comments, please understand that people don't often know what it is about something they may not like in a picture.

If I was to see a picture I didn't like, and I posted the following:

"Nope. Sorry, I don't think this came out all that well. Something just seems off on it."

The expected response is going to be from the artist, asking me to please clarify. If I was able to do that, I probably would have in the first place. Now, I'm forced to make another reply, trying to put something into words that I may not be able to. If my next reply still leaves some doubt as to what I actually mean, another request to clarify will follow, and quite possibly, I will soon be wondering why I bothered to comment in the first place.

So, in return for people taking the time to give their comments, I ask that the artists don't become demanding of those who do comment, to give more detailed information. While it's understandable that the artists will desire and appreciate all the feedback they can get, they need to remember that the people leaving the comments are not their personal editors, willing to respond at their every beck and call.

Some people will be happy to offer more, but others may not. Please don't drive away those others from leaving their comments, simply because you want more from them than they are offering.

It never hurts to ask a follow-up question, but if their reply is still not what you're looking for, don't keep pushing. You will only drive them away.

Rodent
Rodent
The Rat

Postby Terastas » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:30 am

I can agree with Rodent that sometimes I just don't know what to comment about a piece of artwork or a work of fiction, and whenever I write something, I try to write something a little more meaningful than just "great pic."

On the other hand, I would encourage viewers to leave comments whenever they would like to. As a writer, I pretty much thrive on feedback -- it's easier to write something knowing that there are people that will enjoy it, so spending a few months on "Predators and Carriers" and only getting one comment, well. . . Yeah, it was a little depressing, but I understand how it is. :wink:

So please, if you like something, say so. And if you don't like something. . . Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but in my case, say so. :D
Terastas
Cobalt Cat

Okay, so I am not that good at reviewing either

Postby Deathworks » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:22 am

Hi!

I have to admit that I am also guilty of rarely commenting, sometimes out of shyness, sometimes for a lack of proper words. On the other hand, I am also on the receiving end, being an artist.

I can confirm that the lack of feedback is unsettling. It makes you wonder whether people care about your work or whether they think you should not upload it here in the first place. If they tell you what they don't like about your art, it shows at least that they had a look at it and found at least some aspect of it interesting. But if there is only silence, you really don't know what you are dealing with.

I am very much dependant on my moods and I never do requests simply because my art comes from the heart. Still, I am always looking for suggestions and ideas, since they may inspire me to do them or something similar to them.

I am aware that being one of the gentle types, my art appeals to only a minority of the community. And I also know that my art is still only mediocre - not the worst but definitely not the best. Thus, the ambiguity of the silence makes me fear the worst.

Well, I have to reduce that statement a little bit since there have been PM from two individuals stating their support for me and also two regular comments, so things are improving. But I still think it is important for people to realize how dangerous the silence is.

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Samantha Weltzin (Humbug)

Postby Humbug » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:12 am

One thing I've noticed on my own junk is that if you post a lot of stuff right next to each other, people only comment on one or two, and a certain few people like to comment on everything and some don't like to comment at all.
A better way to gauge how well-liked your work is, is to look at the "Views" subhead below the thumbnail. I have some works with no comments and over 500 views (Which I'm really surprised about, actually. I didn't think I'd pass 1,000 total views as quickly as I did.)
People seem to look for innovation in the work, and unexpected things. Some of my pics are things I've taken a long time on, but don't have much more than the simple "shove and gulp" scenario, and they don't get many comments, if any. Others I did quickly, but added in some kind of plot twist or amusing dialogue, and got four or five (not including my responses).
Basically, it all depends on what you put into your work and the subject matter. More comments are nicer to look at, and it's good to give support to others as well.
Of course, this is all based off my experiences on this portal, but that's all I have to go by...no?
Humbug
---

Re: Samantha Weltzin (Humbug)

Postby Eka » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:45 am

One of ImaginaryZ's blog entry about a discussion in our chat room, have made me say a lot of stuff. Let me repost.

I would have hopped someone other then the contributing artists/author do this, but I guess I can't really hope for more.

What really pisses me off is people keep coming up with excuse after excuses about not wanting to give comment. It basicallly bolts down to a few reasons:

"I like to comment, but all I know what to say is "it is great!" !"

Well, what is great about it? Is it the color scheme? The post of the creature? The character? The designe? The technique? Fitting to your preferences? The back ground? The story behind it? The character description? The overall flow? Etc etc? What would have made it better, preferences wise? What would have made it better, technique wise? All of the above? None of the above? You really have absolutely nothing to say about any of those questions?

There are TONS of thing you could say about something. And if, somehow, not, you can still ask the artists about something. If you really -can't- think of anything to say to anything, the least you can do is ask a question, or make a suggestion!

"But the artists/author should be happy about themselves and shouldn't need any comment."

Right, and I'm letting my robot assistant driving my flying car to the second perfect city for my life long vacation.

What you said is true, if we live in a perfect world, but sadly, we don't. Artists, writer, contributor of all kind need encouragements and responds to get to where they are. I have saw too many people feeling discouraged in the past, that is the reason why this site is up!

And the figure of only 1 in 20 visitors make -any- comment at all, is disheartening no matter how you put it!

"But I already do a bunch! Or I already talk to the artists/author personally!"

Well, thank you, but my comment here is really pointing to people who come up with excuses to -never- leave any comment.

This community is small enough, we need to stick together to make it work!

I can not stress enough how much we need your help to make it keep working! Of course, it might be a good idea if someone can give us a Comment posting FAQ/Guideline on how to put a good comment or something...

anyone care to help?
Eka
Administrator

Re: Samantha Weltzin (Humbug)

Postby Mukat » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:53 am

I've been on several message boards before where people would share artwork, so I know pretty well how important it is to recieve comments from viewers. Especially in a place like this, where you expect people to at least be excited by the subject matter.

It's important to understand that all of us are at different points in developing our skills as artists (and I use artist in a general sense. Writers are artists in their own right! :P ) Not only that, but we each have styles that are, at times, extremely different from eachother. There's always something unique and interesting about good art, though, no matter a person's skill. It's finding that something, and letting the artist know about it, that makes comments so rewarding to recieve.

I'd be interested to know how I (and all of us, for that matter, though I can only speak for myself) can encourage more people to comment on what I post on the board and in my gallery. I know the viewer has to be willing to speak, but there has to be something that can make them feel more comfortable and welcome to do so.
Mukat
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby taito » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:00 pm

I for one totally agree. I love getting comments on my stuff. Thats my biggest drive. ^_^ I drew for years only getting a comment here and there from my friends until I joined this place. Now I couldn't be happier. So I thank each and every one of you that looks at my stuff.
<div>Taito</div><br>
taito
---

Postby Umiriko » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 pm

hehe i will make comments on art that rely catches my eye ^_^, which is quite alot of the time so there we go, much better to get the other artists on IM and tell them they rock that way mind :P
Umiriko
Most Talkative Dragon, ever

Postby CanisLupisVulpe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:24 pm

I wanted to say this in the chatroom last night:

There's three different ways you can comment on somebody's art/story. One, obviously is a straight out critique. Everybody can use a critique no matter how good they are. Two, like somebody else said, if you like a picture, try and explain what you like about it. Three, comment on the content of the picture.(IE somebody has a picture of somebody eating a bully and you can say "I've always dreamed of doing that..") You don't always have to say you like something, obviously you like it otherwise you wouldn't comment on it.
CanisLupisVulpe
---

Postby KavenBach » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:00 pm

Yeah, comments are always nice... even the er, constructive criticism that makes you scowl and take another look at your work. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, eh?
But seriously, how many of us have looked through the gallery and stopped at an image and thought, "wow, that's a great one!"
...only to move on to the next image?
Next time an image catches your eye, at least think twice before moving on, right? It's all anyone can ask, isn't it? :)
KavenBach
DamselDangerologist

Postby KavenBach » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:02 pm

P.S.

Hey, Eka (and the others on the Admin team), congrats on reaching 2,300 registered members! How soon to 2,500, do you think? :D
KavenBach
DamselDangerologist

Postby MrHoppy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am

Because of this kind of thread and the breathless way Eka keeps pushing the need for commenting, I'm doing it now. Thought I should comment on your commenting drive. :P

Speaking as a recently commenting-silent person, there were a couple of things that kept me from commenting.

1. I never knew if I could. Because I say a lot instead of a little (obvious here), starting to write then being told a couldn't post would be a waste of five minutes for no one's gain. On the bottom of most pages in this forum, there are a series of statements declaring what you can do and what you can't. I imagine a similar comment around the commenting box would remedy this. (I know everyone can post, whether logged-in or not, but I wouldn't without being told.)

2. I wasn't sure if the artist would receive it. I'm still not clear as to whether or not they see a list of new comments. Another brief statement next to the commenting box would answer this.

3. If the Artist answered, I would be unlikely to check back, which might make me look disinterested. If it was made clear that they had my email address and could reply, that would be allayed, too.

Like I say, I'm commenting now, and these are what stopped me. Maybe you can remedy these for the next guy with a point to make but who has never commented here before.
MrHoppy
Participator

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion