Ghosts & Japes

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Ghosts & Japes

Postby JapesofGrapes » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 pm

Ottots wrote:Is Life is Weird available to play too? I thought I would have found it on the patreon, but I only saw Ghost & Japes, which btw is really fun.

That one's still in development!

Assassincreed4 wrote:How many floors is there or is it endless floors?

Endless... There is no escape for you~
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby Ottots » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:29 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:
Ottots wrote:Is Life is Weird available to play too? I thought I would have found it on the patreon, but I only saw Ghost & Japes, which btw is really fun.

That one's still in development![/quote]

Well I do look forward to it! The video I saw of it look very promising!

Edit: I accidentally broke the quote
Ottots
Been posting for a bit

Postby dezzykitsune » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:16 am

This is a very fun little concept. I definitely will have to see how to mod my ghost into this. Though what you're doing on patreon have me interested.
dezzykitsune
Artist

Postby IncoIsARadio » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:39 am

Incredibly fun, and can be challenging sometimes! The Luigi's Mansion style gameplay loop mixed with getting eaten by adorable ghosts that I can't help but just let digest me (I love them so much...) just really works well, and is an INCREDIBLY solid baseline for a game!
If I may be permitted to be critical though (I believe critique is crucial for a good game) the fact this game is in 1.00 is very obvious. There's only one music track, all the floors feel incredibly samey since the "dark" floor is the only one that has any real tangible gameplay difference, and once you've passed the first three floors, you've most likely seen every single ghost the game has to offer.
In other words, the game gets very repetitive very quickly, especially once you realize the floors are endless and there's no tangible difficulty increase beyond an increase in enemy health and enemy spam.
If you asked me what my personal take on how I'd change the game, beyond just adding more content, I'd probably say adding a more tangible form of progression would be the most important thing that can be added. The only actual difference from floor 2 and floor 20 is the enemy healthbars. Having certain harder ghosts only pop up once you've passed a certain floor, or perhaps having the floors themselves have their own level gimmicks and only start appearing after a certain point in progression, certain stronger items only appearing once you reach a certain point... I think the game could use an actual fixed "endpoint" you can *choose* to go past, but admittedly I don't know how that would fit into the game's plot, with the whole idea being there's no escape and all.

Again though, speaking as a critic aside, I actually REALLY enjoyed this game, and it's really unique compared to a lot of vore games out there, especially on this site right now! It oozes with charm, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here, especially with how modder friendly the game is!
IncoIsARadio
Been posting for a bit

Postby leonthegreat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:12 pm

Wow, this game rocks. I had fun with the gameplay loop. It wasn't even the vore (although I loved that part) that kept me playing. It is a legitimate challenge, and fun to play. I hope you add more to it, and develop the game further. Because I enjoyed it and was left craving more. Good work on this.
Always looking for a nice belly to relax in.
leonthegreat
Somewhat familiar

Postby JapesofGrapes » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:59 pm

IncoIsARadio wrote:Incredibly fun, and can be challenging sometimes! The Luigi's Mansion style gameplay loop mixed with getting eaten by adorable ghosts that I can't help but just let digest me (I love them so much...) just really works well, and is an INCREDIBLY solid baseline for a game!
If I may be permitted to be critical though (I believe critique is crucial for a good game) the fact this game is in 1.00 is very obvious. There's only one music track, all the floors feel incredibly samey since the "dark" floor is the only one that has any real tangible gameplay difference, and once you've passed the first three floors, you've most likely seen every single ghost the game has to offer.
In other words, the game gets very repetitive very quickly, especially once you realize the floors are endless and there's no tangible difficulty increase beyond an increase in enemy health and enemy spam.
If you asked me what my personal take on how I'd change the game, beyond just adding more content, I'd probably say adding a more tangible form of progression would be the most important thing that can be added. The only actual difference from floor 2 and floor 20 is the enemy healthbars. Having certain harder ghosts only pop up once you've passed a certain floor, or perhaps having the floors themselves have their own level gimmicks and only start appearing after a certain point in progression, certain stronger items only appearing once you reach a certain point... I think the game could use an actual fixed "endpoint" you can *choose* to go past, but admittedly I don't know how that would fit into the game's plot, with the whole idea being there's no escape and all.

Again though, speaking as a critic aside, I actually REALLY enjoyed this game, and it's really unique compared to a lot of vore games out there, especially on this site right now! It oozes with charm, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here, especially with how modder friendly the game is!

Thank you for playing, I appreciate the critique as well! We're planning on polishing most of the gameplay in the next update. There are already quite a few new music tracks for it as well~
In terms of changes when you go up a floor, enemy hp increases, strugglecounts increase, struggle damage only increases every 5 floors, and caps at 5 as well. The number of enemies spawned does not change.
Prices on shop items also increase.

We're looking into some extra mechanics for the floors though, as well as potentially having unique rooms per floor type.
One thing that was brought up was a bag drawing shuffle for the room orders, we may look into that, but no guarantees.

An endgoal is something we've thought of, but would take awhile to implement cohesively.

leonthegreat wrote:Wow, this game rocks. I had fun with the gameplay loop. It wasn't even the vore (although I loved that part) that kept me playing. It is a legitimate challenge, and fun to play. I hope you add more to it, and develop the game further. Because I enjoyed it and was left craving more. Good work on this.

Thanks for playing! Above all else we want to make fun games just as much as fun vore games.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby leonthegreat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:04 pm

Have you thought about adding bossfights?
Always looking for a nice belly to relax in.
leonthegreat
Somewhat familiar

Postby FluffyZang » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:30 am

I love what you've done with the game. My only real complaint is the lack of custom keybinds and one minor bug I've encountered with using the drill, but otherwise this is pretty good stuff here.
FluffyZang
Been posting for a bit

Postby JapesofGrapes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 pm

FluffyZang wrote:I love what you've done with the game. My only real complaint is the lack of custom keybinds and one minor bug I've encountered with using the drill, but otherwise this is pretty good stuff here.

Custom keybinding is something we have in MINI at least, we're unsure if we'll add it to Ghosts & Japes.
And in regards to the drilling bug, by chance are you using an NVIDIA gpu?
We're trying to collect more data in regards to the cause, and so far anyone with an NVIDIA gpu appears to be experiencing it.

leonthegreat wrote:Have you thought about adding bossfights?

That has been in consideration, although would likely be far down the line if we do decide to implement it.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby Kennethon » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:28 pm

Can you force yourself the submissive state pre-swallowed without having to be hexed by a ghost first?
Kennethon
New to the forum

Postby FluffyZang » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:37 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:Custom keybinding is something we have in MINI at least, we're unsure if we'll add it to Ghosts & Japes.
And in regards to the drilling bug, by chance are you using an NVIDIA gpu?
We're trying to collect more data in regards to the cause, and so far anyone with an NVIDIA gpu appears to be experiencing it.

Yeah I'm using an RTX 3060.
FluffyZang
Been posting for a bit

Postby Playfulpetfox » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:59 pm

Man, I absolutely adore the art, but it sucks as a game. I went through 8 doors and didn't get a single save point, making the entire already arduous process a waste of time. I get wanting to make something both playable and vore focused, but I'm not looking for Sekiro levels of punishment. I'm already playing Resurrections, and that's more fair than this. For something intended for an audience 90% likely to WANT to lose, stop punishing players for actually seeking the content. I hate sounding like a game journalist, but the "Easy" mode is just a jape in and of itself. The idea is cute, the gameplay basis is fine, but my god, make it less of a gauntlet. The worst design choice by far is that enemies can literally stun lock you back to back before your own attack, the ONLY attack you have, is off cooldown. Being eaten, then ejected into a corner surrounded by enemies is almost guaranteed with over half the rooms I found. As far as game design goes, that is genuinely awful.

The music is adorable, the art is downright lovely, and the atmosphere is very cute. The gameplay, though, the primary means to getting any further into the game, is just such a chore.
Playfulpetfox
New to the forum

Postby JapesofGrapes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25 pm

Playfulpetfox wrote:Man, I absolutely adore the art, but it sucks as a game. I went through 8 doors and didn't get a single save point, making the entire already arduous process a waste of time. I get wanting to make something both playable and vore focused, but I'm not looking for Sekiro levels of punishment. I'm already playing Resurrections, and that's more fair than this. For something intended for an audience 90% likely to WANT to lose, stop punishing players for actually seeking the content. I hate sounding like a game journalist, but the "Easy" mode is just a jape in and of itself. The idea is cute, the gameplay basis is fine, but my god, make it less of a gauntlet. The worst design choice by far is that enemies can literally stun lock you back to back before your own attack, the ONLY attack you have, is off cooldown. Being eaten, then ejected into a corner surrounded by enemies is almost guaranteed with over half the rooms I found. As far as game design goes, that is genuinely awful.

The music is adorable, the art is downright lovely, and the atmosphere is very cute. The gameplay, though, the primary means to getting any further into the game, is just such a chore.

... It saves every floor on easy mode you know...
There's also an easy to access debug mode if you check the readme...

I want to make it very clear that this game is not designed around being able to not get hit. You will get hit, you will get eaten. Recovering from that is part of the gameplay.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby Eniel » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 pm

You have lifesteal. Take them. Take every last bit of them.
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby TribusInTheDark » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:21 am

update: i can't stop playing! i LOVE this game! i love the designs! i love how there's unique dialogue if you don't struggle! i love how genuinely off putting, the pink ghost who's name i totally know, can be!

i have a lot of projects myself, but i'll make a review when i can. gosh, oh this game is the best~!!! you and the rest of the team are where i'll be getting my vore games from now on, oh if i had money i'd throw it at you!!!!!!!!!
TribusInTheDark
New to the forum

Postby Resilian » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 am

Well, after years of looking this forum, i finally decided to make an account to talk about this nice little game... that i already have modded !

It's more a prototype than a real mod, but it's working pretty fine. I'm not sure to release the files for now. But maybe later.
Resilian
New to the forum

Postby Etherthedrake » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 am

I blame this game for giving me ghost brainrot (this is a compliment)
please keep working on your charcuterieMINI game because if this is a SMALL SIDE PROJECT TO TEST THINGS, then I dread (in a good way) to imagine what the bigger game will look like...

even as an endo guy myself I can appreciate this game because it nails so many little things (simple but charming animations, easy to mod, gameplay is fun and balanced, little touches like dialogue changes whenever you don't struggle for a while / at all...) just right that I am genuinely surprised that this game is free. A game of this quality is FREE.
I can't recommend people to play it enough.

edit: oh, and my favorite ghost has to be the Spookobold. kiki kyuu~
Hey! I'm just a dessert mouse.
"humans boring. Endo best. Dragons awesome."
Etherthedrake
Somewhat familiar

Postby derikjoy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:51 am

I feel like there should be an option to have blackouts happen way faster, it takes way too long for one to happen normally (and if you don't just wait around for one you will probably have the full floor cleared before it becomes an issue)
Otherwise I love this game and will love to see what additions will be made for it.
derikjoy
New to the forum

Postby Morkeleb » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:22 pm

This game is amazing, kudos to you sir or madame. I'd love more status effects and more ways to interact with the ghosts other than them just nomming you. Maybe a ghost fucks the soul out of you rather than just eat you as a example. But if you wish to keep the game pg I understand.
Morkeleb
Somewhat familiar

Postby auron126 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:09 pm

I do rather love this game it is quite a lot of fun. But there are a few issues I've had.

Number 1: The dark floors. it is already difficult to maneuver past projectiles and ghosts on the dark floors already especially since there are a lot of obstacles in there. Made unnecessarily harder dodging the witches'' hexes when you can't see puddles or bump into a random chair. I have gotten stun locked due to the fact that when you're eaten your only light source goes out and you may not see the table anymore and walk in it's direction. I've been stun locked due to those damnn cats. It might not be as hard for others as it was me and there may be a trick I don't know about, but those floors could be more frustrating at times than fun. Perhaps there can be a means of lighting the room up without clearing the room? Or maybe simply just less obstacles to get caught on.

2: Hidden rooms break the rooms they can connect too. I'm not sure if it was just the industrial floor but I've had to restart a floor due spawning into a wall with the room completely glitched out. it also turns them into a maze and there's no telling which door you want to go through or even which you came in through.

That said i really do love the game. It's quite fun with plenty of cute preds. I honestly want to see where it goes or how it will evolve overtime. It's already one of my favorites.
auron126
New to the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game