How many people actually use the Wiki?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

How many people actually use the Wiki?

Postby T145 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:09 am

I recently found out that we had a wiki in the first place, and was curious, how many people actually know that it exists?

Or is it one of those old/hidden features that people don't really use any more?
T145
Been posting for a bit

Re: How many people actually use the Wiki?

Postby unicorn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:18 pm

Like on this site? I've never seen a wiki and am unaware there may be one, so... not me i guess xD

EDIT: Oh yeah i see a tiny link to it on the top right of the main page. I've been here for... a long time but never noticed that
unicorn
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby TETRO » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:21 pm

Just taking a look at the dates of the pages (there aren't that many pages), it hasn't been touched since 2009. I think that was before I ever started using this site, and I've been here a while. This is an old website that carries a lot relics from earlier ages of the internet. If you dig deep enough, you can find old features and content that haven't been touched in over a decade.
"Be polite,
be professional,
but have a plan to eat everyone you meet."

-The Predator's Handbook
TETRO
Participator

Postby unicorn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:26 pm

TETRO wrote:This is an old website that carries a lot relics from earlier ages of the internet. If you dig deep enough, you can find old features and content that haven't been touched in over a decade.

It is pretty interesting how much the internet has evolved in 20 years. We users today are like a modern city in a spot that's had constant human habitation for millennia, everything built on top of older stuff. Some old structures still in use, while others lie forgotten and buried. History right beneath our feet!
I always look at the writing tab on the main page, so when i'm doing that i see the "News & Announcements" as well. Which are definitely not recent, heh.
unicorn
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby RavenousLeona » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:37 pm

We have a wiki?

But seriously, this thread did give me a reason to go look for it and skim it. I think it could still work as a "vore 101" for people new to the fetish and community, if it wasn't buried. Maybe a bit of polishing up, and making it stand out a little more, and it could be salvaged?
RavenousLeona
Been posting for a bit

Postby Quarters » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:48 pm

RavenousRaziya wrote:We have a wiki?

But seriously, this thread did give me a reason to go look for it and skim it. I think it could still work as a "vore 101" for people new to the fetish and community, if it wasn't buried. Maybe a bit of polishing up, and making it stand out a little more, and it could be salvaged?

I think that would be a great idea! I had no idea there was a wiki, and all my knowledge before discovering this site was self taught via DeviantArt and Gelbooru. The most common comments on vore works on other sites (besides pure hate and rage) is people not understanding why someone would be attracted to a fetish like this. Sure, some may still be haters posting that, but there's probably some that are genuinely curious. I think a good wiki could help answer some of those questions or at least provide some insight.
Quarters
Somewhat familiar

Postby Grec0R0man » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 pm

Good Lord, I forgot we had one. Yeah, it's kind of... dated, to say the least. I remember my first time on Eka's, and I browsed through that thing. Which didn't take very long at the time, this was YEARS ago. Honesty, it could be useful for newcomers, but, even to me, the UI and how it is structured is downright flummoxing and intimidating. I doubt it will be receiving a facelift or an actual update, save for the few brave souls who add onto it now and then with minor tweaks and entries, anytime soon.
Grec0R0man; Aspiring Voracious Author, Uninspiring for the Faith of Humanity
Grec0R0man
New to the forum

Postby umayo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:28 am

I remember reading through the wiki the first time I found this site (around 2016, I believe). I don't remember learning much that I didn't already know (most of the "types of vore" are quite self-explanatory), but the etymology section was interesting.

None of the information on there seems to be too time-sensitive, aside from the excessive use of smileys on some pages (very 2009 :P), so I don't think it does any harm, and maybe some good, being linked on the front page.
umayo
New to the forum

Postby T145 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:31 am

Grec0R0man wrote:Good Lord, I forgot we had one. Yeah, it's kind of... dated, to say the least. I remember my first time on Eka's, and I browsed through that thing. Which didn't take very long at the time, this was YEARS ago. Honesty, it could be useful for newcomers, but, even to me, the UI and how it is structured is downright flummoxing and intimidating. I doubt it will be receiving a facelift or an actual update, save for the few brave souls who add onto it now and then with minor tweaks and entries, anytime soon.

I did ask, when reporting a bug, and no, no plans to update it any time soon, sadly.

----

RavenousRaziya wrote:We have a wiki?

Definitely. The basics haven't really changed, although some of the pages could do with a tidying up.

unicorn wrote:
TETRO wrote:This is an old website that carries a lot relics from earlier ages of the internet. If you dig deep enough, you can find old features and content that haven't been touched in over a decade.

It is pretty interesting how much the internet has evolved in 20 years. We users today are like a modern city in a spot that's had constant human habitation for millennia, everything built on top of older stuff. Some old structures still in use, while others lie forgotten and buried. History right beneath our feet!
I always look at the writing tab on the main page, so when i'm doing that i see the "News & Announcements" as well. Which are definitely not recent, heh.

PhpBB itself is something of a relic of the old days, as is the very nature of a forum (and arguably, much of the site itself). Most places seem to have migrated to larger sites like Reddit, or instant messaging services like discord.

I've definitely seen a few editors, like the wiki editor, that are a throwback to the past.
T145
Been posting for a bit

Postby GeneralUrist » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:20 pm

T145 wrote:
unicorn wrote:

PhpBB itself is something of a relic of the old days, as is the very nature of a forum (and arguably, much of the site itself). Most places seem to have migrated to larger sites like Reddit, or instant messaging services like discord.

I've definitely seen a few editors, like the wiki editor, that are a throwback to the past.

The comparison to a modern town is a sweet one. At I think it's great that we kept relics of those ruins around to explore, instead of ruthlessly demolishing everything that's no longer cutting edge (and then outsourcing it to some walled garden when we need it again).

Aye. There are a few forums that are still doing well (And I'm GLAD some survive, the demise of the forum in favor of Reddit and Discord has led to a severe decline in the quality of online communication I'd say!), but all the ones I know save one relic of niche communities has moved on to Xenforo. (then there is TV tropes, which has its own totally unique relic system). I am not attached to PhpBB, Xenforo seems like a straight upgrade. But it does have a rustic charm of sorts.
GeneralUrist
Been posting for a bit

Postby Filan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:38 pm

a wiki would be handy especially because some vore terms are completely foreign if you are not from that specific end of the fetish. I still do not know what dolcett means and have always been scared to Google it.

As for more modern platforms, well considering what we discuss and post here including stuff that is clearly adult content, Ekas would never fit in at Reddit.
Elven Captain and Owner of the S.S. Hyperion, Hyperion Class Airship Luxury Liner Converted to Cargo hauler
Finest ship to fly the skies of Earth
Filan
???

Postby VoidInVoid » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:18 am

Enough of that age of the Internet has been killed off already. I don't see why it needs to be "updated" at all. Leave it how it is, I say.
VoidInVoid
Been posting for a bit

Postby T145 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:50 am

VoidInVoid wrote:Enough of that age of the Internet has been killed off already. I don't see why it needs to be "updated" at all. Leave it how it is, I say.

I'd argue that there are some parts that could do with improvement, and an update need not mean replacing the whole thing.

Adding a dark mode theme to the forum wouldn't go amiss (trying to use the forum at night can be like trying to operate a flashbang whilst wearing night vision goggles), and the wiki has a rather interesting bug where nested bullet points don't work properly.

Both of those could be fairly easily fixed/improved without losing any of the classic forum/wiki feel that Aryion has.
T145
Been posting for a bit

Postby GeneralKenobi420 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:47 pm

Filan wrote:a wiki would be handy especially because some vore terms are completely foreign if you are not from that specific end of the fetish. I still do not know what dolcett means and have always been scared to Google it.

It's basically cooking vore. Dolcett i think are people who want to be cooked, kinda like prey I think
GeneralKenobi420
New to the forum

Postby IvesBentonEaton » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:42 pm

My understanding is that dolcett involves reducing the prey to various cuts of meat before cooking, possibly packaging and displaying the cuts, although the latter is not an actual part of the definition.
Come and hear the Tales of a Visceral Voyager
If you don’t, Zōēā’s poor snake will go hungry.
You wouldn’t want that, would you? :(
IvesBentonEaton
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby LIamINSecret » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:09 pm

I feel like there are a lot of improvements that could be made without changing the "look" of the website. The only issue I've seen repeated is that code the website uses is so old, some of the improvements are actually impossible.

The wiki, the link to google maps, and the video section are bits of this site I feel like would be used even more (or at all) if they were updated.
I'm crossing my fingers hoping an announcement or a poll is sent out asking/informing of an update soon, but it's probably long shot (I know this would be a big undertaking, so don't think I believe these things can be implemented/fixed at the snap of a finger).
LIamINSecret
New to the forum

Postby T145 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:42 am

LIamINSecret wrote:I feel like there are a lot of improvements that could be made without changing the "look" of the website. The only issue I've seen repeated is that code the website uses is so old, some of the improvements are actually impossible.

The wiki, the link to google maps, and the video section are bits of this site I feel like would be used even more (or at all) if they were updated.
I'm crossing my fingers hoping an announcement or a poll is sent out asking/informing of an update soon, but it's probably long shot (I know this would be a big undertaking, so don't think I believe these things can be implemented/fixed at the snap of a finger).

With the age of the site, I could believe that. Or it'd take so much work to fix that it would be better to replace/remove the feature completely.

I don't think that we have any/many other admins, or an engineering team either. It could well be a one-person team, and that would be an unreasonable to expect Eka to both moderate and single-handedly revamp parts of the site at the same time.
T145
Been posting for a bit

Postby Scrumptious » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:40 pm

I've also been here a while and never realized that there's a wiki.

I just visited it and it seems pretty limited and somewhat buggy (e.g. automatic logouts, links going bizarre places). Of course, I understand that wikis are hard to do right, having had some catastrophic failures with them myself, and even when set up right they rely on a strong community to develop them.
Scrumptious
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion